PDA

View Full Version : Re: yelled at 3 times in an hour

Paul Ricklefs
July 11th 03, 03:00 AM
Great story.. Gives me the ambition to put my head down this weekend and see
how far I can go. :)

Heck, I should take a week off. :)

--

Paul Ricklefs
Check out: http://thehappyscrapbooker.com

"Barry Gaudet" > wrote in message
> [...]
> Terra Cotta. It's a 50 km trail if you include the unoffical unimproved
> bits on each end, generally sloping down from the north east end - which
> is why I chose to take it from that direction. I make the trail at
> Palgrave. First I replenish my liquid supplies.
>
> The trail is quite nice, though a bit rough in spots. The shade of the
> trees is a much welcomed relief after the heat of the pavement. The
> scenery is pleasant taking in river valley, wetlands, farmlands, and the
> Niagara escarpment. No radical climbs though - not that I'm up to the
> effort by this time. As evening approaches more deer, rabbits and
chipmunks
> make there appearance on the trail.
>
> At the end of the trail I make for Georgetown. A large town or small
> city, depending on one's POV. I make the decision to call it a day and
> get a motel room. I've clocked a little over 100 miles and am exhausted.
> I guess that makes it a century. It is a tough decision as rain and
> thunderstorms are predicted for the next day. I'm tempted to push on but
> I know I need to rest.
>
> I sleep the sleep of the virtuous... ok, ok the sleep of the
> damned-fool-who's-to-stubborn-for-his-own-good. I wake at 5 am to the
> sound of thunder - not a good sign. turning over to sleep some more I
> make ready to hit the road at 9:30 for the last push. A light rain that
> tapers off greets me. My quads, calfs, and sit bones scream in protest
> then give up complaining as the rhythm starts.
>
> An hour in and I stop for my morning coffee. I indulge in a couple
> cookies for that energy boost. Before I finish the rains starts picking
> up. I turn on my blinkies and press on. No thunder but the rain turns
> into a downpour. I am completely soaked. Head down I push on. What
> choice is there? I actually appreciate the odd bow wave from large
> trucks. It gives me a boost. I take all the assistance I can get.
>
> Finally I enter the outskirts of Guelph. My odyssey is almost complete.
> The rain has ended and it is turning into a beautiful day. Over the two
days
> I made a 200 km loop and seemingly traveled 20 years in time.
>
> I guess it was worth the aches and pains.
>
> The getting yelled at I referred to in the title?
>
> Within the city first two mental midgets in a penis extender muscle car
> yell at me on a deserted straight highway. Before I make it home two more
> vehicle's - both SUV's - occupants feel a similar need to try to cause an
> accident by startling a cyclist. The last one I almost caught at the
> light. Probably lucky I didn't. I would have done something foolish.
>
> As I've said before , for all its' faults, Guelph is fairly lucky as far
> as accomodating cyclists go. The people on the other hand.... I'm
> thinking IQ varies inversely with vehicle size. Or maybe it's an example
> of familiarity breeding contempt.
>
> Anyways that my story of southern Ontario time travel.

Michael
July 15th 03, 04:40 PM
Barry Gaudet wrote:
(snip-a-lot)

> The getting yelled at I referred to in the title?
>
> Within the city first two mental midgets in a penis extender muscle car
> yell at me on a deserted straight highway. Before I make it home two more
> vehicle's - both SUV's - occupants feel a similar need to try to cause an
> accident by startling a cyclist. The last one I almost caught at the
> light. Probably lucky I didn't. I would have done something foolish.

As I ride in town, I get a lot of mouth- or facial expression-abuse from
auto passengers (teenagers mostly). Since I pass many of them at
traffic lights at least once, recently I've considered carrying a potato
or two to jam into the tailpipes (Auspuftanlage, whatever) of the worst
offenders. Only considered. But the first time one of those Ugly
Americans nudges me out of his/her way ....

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home