PDA

View Full Version : Re: Shogun Trail Breaker 2 information needed

speed kills
September 19th 03, 07:37 AM
G'Day,

I've got the Shogun PB Expert myself. Here's a link that'll help ya....

www.cyclelink.com.au/category312_1.htm

Personally I bought my bike from Blackman's Bicycles in Parramatta NSW.
Their phone number is 02 9683 6555.

I don't know if they stock the model that you're after but happy
hunting anyway.

--
it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

speed kills
September 19th 03, 07:37 AM
G'Day,

I've got the Shogun PB Expert myself. Here's a link that'll help ya....

www.cyclelink.com.au/category312_1.htm

Personally I bought my bike from Blackman's Bicycles in Parramatta NSW.
Their phone number is 02 9683 6555.

I don't know if they stock the model that you're after but happy
hunting anyway.

--
it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

speed kills
September 19th 03, 07:37 AM
By the way, I just noticed that Shogun have their web-site up and
running with all the info you're after.

www.shogunbicycles.com.au

--
it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

speed kills
September 19th 03, 07:37 AM
By the way, I just noticed that Shogun have their web-site up and
running with all the info you're after.

www.shogunbicycles.com.au

--
it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

thebow
October 2nd 03, 05:49 AM
Cletus75 wrote:
> TB, did you end up buying one? Or do any other members have one? I'm
> thinking about a cheapie MTB for riding on the bike paths for social
> rides with friends - very few want to come out on the road with me!
> I've noted the Trail Breaker 2 is on sale at present for $450ish. Can
> anyone recommend it or something similar? I really don't want anything
> flash, just nothing so cheap that I'll regret it later (e.g. if I can't
> find parts, or realised that I probably should have paid the extra $100
> to save 5kg of weight etc). e.g. this Malvern Star Aspect... too cheap?
> http://www.melbournebicycle.com.au/
> Love to hear people's thoughts!
> Cletus :confused:

Well the learsport tr3270 isn't too bad..aluminium and full alivio
componentry for $550.

I purchased a progear (no-name) alivio equipped bike for $500 with full
servicing from the LBS (bike Barn in parramatta). It's not melbourne I
know but with MTB's you can get mega specials as there are so manu of
them and so many bike shops selling them.

I found it really helps to mention learsport while you are talking to
the salesperson as my guy knocked $50 off the price as soon as I
mentioned them :-)

I already have a shonkmaster, no-name MTB and it's serverd me well and I
couldn't care less about owning a giant or whatever. I assume that since
you only want it for social rides you can pretend to be really
uninterested in it all and get an even better price.

thebow
October 2nd 03, 05:49 AM
Cletus75 wrote:
> TB, did you end up buying one? Or do any other members have one? I'm
> thinking about a cheapie MTB for riding on the bike paths for social
> rides with friends - very few want to come out on the road with me!
> I've noted the Trail Breaker 2 is on sale at present for $450ish. Can
> anyone recommend it or something similar? I really don't want anything
> flash, just nothing so cheap that I'll regret it later (e.g. if I can't
> find parts, or realised that I probably should have paid the extra $100
> to save 5kg of weight etc). e.g. this Malvern Star Aspect... too cheap?
> http://www.melbournebicycle.com.au/
> Love to hear people's thoughts!
> Cletus :confused:

Well the learsport tr3270 isn't too bad..aluminium and full alivio
componentry for $550.

I purchased a progear (no-name) alivio equipped bike for $500 with full
servicing from the LBS (bike Barn in parramatta). It's not melbourne I
know but with MTB's you can get mega specials as there are so manu of
them and so many bike shops selling them.

I found it really helps to mention learsport while you are talking to
the salesperson as my guy knocked $50 off the price as soon as I
mentioned them :-)

I already have a shonkmaster, no-name MTB and it's serverd me well and I
couldn't care less about owning a giant or whatever. I assume that since
you only want it for social rides you can pretend to be really
uninterested in it all and get an even better price.

Cletus75
October 2nd 03, 05:49 AM

speed kills wrote:
> By the way, I just noticed that Shogun have their web-site up and
> running with all the info you're after.
> www.shogunbicycles.com.au

TB, did you end up buying one? Or do any other members have one? I'm
thinking about a cheapie MTB for riding on the bike paths for social
rides with friends - very few want to come out on the road with me!

I've noted the Trail Breaker 2 is on sale at present for $450ish. Can
anyone recommend it or something similar? I really don't want anything
flash, just nothing so cheap that I'll regret it later (e.g. if I can't
find parts, or realised that I probably should have paid the extra $100
to save 5kg of weight etc). e.g. this Malvern Star Aspect... too cheap?
http://www.melbournebicycle.com.au/

Love to hear people's thoughts!

Cletus :confused:

Cletus75
October 2nd 03, 07:01 AM
thebow wrote:
> Well the learsport tr3270 isn't too bad..aluminium and full alivio
> componentry for $550.
> I purchased a progear (no-name) alivio equipped bike for $500 with full
> servicing from the LBS (bike Barn in parramatta). It's not melbourne I
> know but with MTB's you can get mega specials as there are so manu of
> them and so many bike shops selling them.
> I found it really helps to mention learsport while you are talking to
> the salesperson as my guy knocked $50 off the price as soon as I
> mentioned them :-)
> I already have a shonkmaster, no-name MTB and it's serverd me well and I
> couldn't care less about owning a giant or whatever. I assume that since
> you only want it for social rides you can pretend to be really
> uninterested in it all and get an even better price.

Anything I really need to watch out for though? Minimum of Alivio
gearing (or Acera?) or a particular brand of shocks? Other than a Giant
Boulder I owned for about 2 weeks (and hated) 5 years ago, I've never
had any exposure to non-road bikes...

I guess the heart of the matter is what are the "must-haves" on a
mountain bike? Much like I would suggest STI (and hence at least Tiagra)
on a road bike...

Cletus75
October 2nd 03, 07:01 AM
thebow wrote:
> Well the learsport tr3270 isn't too bad..aluminium and full alivio
> componentry for $550.
> I purchased a progear (no-name) alivio equipped bike for $500 with full
> servicing from the LBS (bike Barn in parramatta). It's not melbourne I
> know but with MTB's you can get mega specials as there are so manu of
> them and so many bike shops selling them.
> I found it really helps to mention learsport while you are talking to
> the salesperson as my guy knocked $50 off the price as soon as I
> mentioned them :-)
> I already have a shonkmaster, no-name MTB and it's serverd me well and I
> couldn't care less about owning a giant or whatever. I assume that since
> you only want it for social rides you can pretend to be really
> uninterested in it all and get an even better price.

Anything I really need to watch out for though? Minimum of Alivio
gearing (or Acera?) or a particular brand of shocks? Other than a Giant
Boulder I owned for about 2 weeks (and hated) 5 years ago, I've never
had any exposure to non-road bikes...

I guess the heart of the matter is what are the "must-haves" on a
mountain bike? Much like I would suggest STI (and hence at least Tiagra)
on a road bike...

Tim Jones
October 2nd 03, 07:52 AM
"Cletus75" > wrote in message
> speed kills wrote:
> > By the way, I just noticed that Shogun have their web-site up and
> > running with all the info you're after.
> > www.shogunbicycles.com.au
>

> TB, did you end up buying one? Or do any other members have one? I'm
> thinking about a cheapie MTB for riding on the bike paths for social
> rides with friends - very few want to come out on the road with me!
>
> I've noted the Trail Breaker 2 is on sale at present for $450ish. Can
> anyone recommend it or something similar? I really don't want anything
> flash, just nothing so cheap that I'll regret it later (e.g. if I can't
> find parts, or realised that I probably should have paid the extra $100
> to save 5kg of weight etc). e.g. this Malvern Star Aspect... too cheap?
> http://www.melbournebicycle.com.au/
>
> Love to hear people's thoughts!

You can get the 2004 Boulder SE for under your price bracket - has a decent
setup for the price.

See http://members.iinet.net.au/~ideal/giant2004.html for an idea of prices
and specs.

The next model up may be around your spend as well (Rincon).

Cheers,

Tim

Tim Jones
October 2nd 03, 07:52 AM
"Cletus75" > wrote in message
> speed kills wrote:
> > By the way, I just noticed that Shogun have their web-site up and
> > running with all the info you're after.
> > www.shogunbicycles.com.au
>

> TB, did you end up buying one? Or do any other members have one? I'm
> thinking about a cheapie MTB for riding on the bike paths for social
> rides with friends - very few want to come out on the road with me!
>
> I've noted the Trail Breaker 2 is on sale at present for $450ish. Can
> anyone recommend it or something similar? I really don't want anything
> flash, just nothing so cheap that I'll regret it later (e.g. if I can't
> find parts, or realised that I probably should have paid the extra $100
> to save 5kg of weight etc). e.g. this Malvern Star Aspect... too cheap?
> http://www.melbournebicycle.com.au/
>
> Love to hear people's thoughts!

You can get the 2004 Boulder SE for under your price bracket - has a decent
setup for the price.

See http://members.iinet.net.au/~ideal/giant2004.html for an idea of prices
and specs.

The next model up may be around your spend as well (Rincon).

Cheers,

Tim

hippy
October 2nd 03, 02:55 PM
"Cletus75" > wrote in message
> I guess the heart of the matter is what are the "must-haves" on a
> mountain bike? Much like I would suggest STI (and hence at least Tiagra)
> on a road bike...

Wheels?

:-P Okay, more seriously.. I can (and seem to!) ride just about
anything so either everyone else is extra fussy or I'm blessed
with extra whogivesarats genes?

My mtb spends most of its time on the road. If this is the case
with you I would fit clipless pedals and slicks. Slicks are fine
for bike paths too. At least they are more predictable than
the semi-slicks that every bike seems to come with these
days.

As for the off-the-shelf "requirements": make damn sure the
bike fits you and is comfortable! Ride it and other bikes as
much as you can before buying it. Even a total gumbie can
say to the shop "ooh i like these pushy clicky gear shifty
things, but i hate these twisty gripy geary shifty things" etc.
The more bikes you ride the better you can pin down the
cool things and the not so cool things. Frames, groupsets
and wheels are the most expensive parts so it makes sense
to buy the best you can for the money. Best may mean
lightest, it may mean strongest, it may mean most durable.
You have to weigh up all these while thinking about what
riding you will do.

I really don't know what a "must-have" would be.. I've
made my mtb go from shop bike, to regular commuter,
to time-trial setup, to full-on "real" mountain bike and
all kinds of little tweaks in-between. I guess the one
thing that is contstant through all of this, is the bits that
you contact, i.e. the shoe/pedal system, the bars/grips
and the saddle. A nice saddle will go a long way to
making rides that little bit nicer, longer or faster. But
really, the saddle choice comes much later than frame
and groupset...

Ahh what a total load of waffle.. I should've just said
"I've got no idea what is a must-have"!! :-P

hippy
Pay more = generally more durable, lighter, stronger

hippy
October 2nd 03, 02:55 PM
"Cletus75" > wrote in message
> I guess the heart of the matter is what are the "must-haves" on a
> mountain bike? Much like I would suggest STI (and hence at least Tiagra)
> on a road bike...

Wheels?

:-P Okay, more seriously.. I can (and seem to!) ride just about
anything so either everyone else is extra fussy or I'm blessed
with extra whogivesarats genes?

My mtb spends most of its time on the road. If this is the case
with you I would fit clipless pedals and slicks. Slicks are fine
for bike paths too. At least they are more predictable than
the semi-slicks that every bike seems to come with these
days.

As for the off-the-shelf "requirements": make damn sure the
bike fits you and is comfortable! Ride it and other bikes as
much as you can before buying it. Even a total gumbie can
say to the shop "ooh i like these pushy clicky gear shifty
things, but i hate these twisty gripy geary shifty things" etc.
The more bikes you ride the better you can pin down the
cool things and the not so cool things. Frames, groupsets
and wheels are the most expensive parts so it makes sense
to buy the best you can for the money. Best may mean
lightest, it may mean strongest, it may mean most durable.
You have to weigh up all these while thinking about what
riding you will do.

I really don't know what a "must-have" would be.. I've
made my mtb go from shop bike, to regular commuter,
to time-trial setup, to full-on "real" mountain bike and
all kinds of little tweaks in-between. I guess the one
thing that is contstant through all of this, is the bits that
you contact, i.e. the shoe/pedal system, the bars/grips
and the saddle. A nice saddle will go a long way to
making rides that little bit nicer, longer or faster. But
really, the saddle choice comes much later than frame
and groupset...

Ahh what a total load of waffle.. I should've just said
"I've got no idea what is a must-have"!! :-P

hippy
Pay more = generally more durable, lighter, stronger

speed kills
October 3rd 03, 09:25 AM
It's only through personal experience that you'll learn what you need
and what's good and what's crap for your particular purposes.

speed kills
October 3rd 03, 09:25 AM
It's only through personal experience that you'll learn what you need
and what's good and what's crap for your particular purposes.

speed kills
October 3rd 03, 09:25 AM
It's only through personal experience that you'll learn what you need
and what's good and what's crap for your particular purposes.

speed kills
October 3rd 03, 09:25 AM
It's only through personal experience that you'll learn what you need
and what's good and what's crap for your particular purposes.

Cletus75
October 4th 03, 07:05 AM
speed kills wrote:
> It's only through personal experience that you'll learn what you need
> and what's good and what's crap for your particular purposes.

Thanks folks. I was just looking to see if anyone had advice on major
potholes to avoid. I ended up picking up the 2003 model Merida Matt
Sport 300 for half price in one of the run-out sales (which took it down
to the same price as the Shogun).

It rides really well, I found it really fun but that's probably because
I'm not in a training mindset when I'm on it. Big thing is I miss having
clipless shoes - more than once my foot slipped off the pedal when
accelerating. Might be the next upgrade (those dual pedals - clips on
one side, flat on the other so that I have the option). Also noted that
the front derailleur is a bit sloppy (only Acera) wheras the rest of the
setup is Alivio. But for what it's intended for, it looks like its more
than up to the job.

Thanks for your thoughts. :p

Cletus75
October 4th 03, 07:05 AM

speed kills wrote:
> It's only through personal experience that you'll learn what you need
> and what's good and what's crap for your particular purposes.

Thanks folks. I was just looking to see if anyone had advice on major
potholes to avoid. I ended up picking up the 2003 model Merida Matt
Sport 300 for half price in one of the run-out sales (which took it down
to the same price as the Shogun).

It rides really well, I found it really fun but that's probably because
I'm not in a training mindset when I'm on it. Big thing is I miss having
clipless shoes - more than once my foot slipped off the pedal when
accelerating. Might be the next upgrade (those dual pedals - clips on
one side, flat on the other so that I have the option). Also noted that
the front derailleur is a bit sloppy (only Acera) wheras the rest of the
setup is Alivio. But for what it's intended for, it looks like its more
than up to the job.

Thanks for your thoughts. :p

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home