PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Around the Bay in a Day 19th October 2003

enock
September 20th 03, 03:42 AM
I’m from Sydney and I’m attempting this 210 km ride for the first time.
Has anyone got any suggestions on good training, how to cope with the
distance or even your personal experiences of the ride.

I understand with the big bunches and relatively flat terrain that you
can average high speeds.

I’m a moderate road bike rider – cycle to work each day (45 km round
trip) on Sydney’s north side so use to some hills.

NickZX6R
September 20th 03, 10:46 AM
enock > wrote:
> I?m from Sydney and I?m attempting this 210 km ride for the first time.
> Has anyone got any suggestions on good training, how to cope with the
> distance or even your personal experiences of the ride.

> I understand with the big bunches and relatively flat terrain that you
> can average high speeds.

> I?m a moderate road bike rider ? cycle to work each day (45 km round
> trip) on Sydney?s north side so use to some hills.

There's not really that much to it. It's pretty flat (although I spose
that's a bit subjective) so as long as you can handle the distance
you should be ok.

Just make sure you have food and water. There are places to stop
and restock along the way.

I think the main thing is not to get sucked in by the fools who go
hell for leather right from the start and then run out of energy
well before the end :)

Also, it might pay to have a waterproof jacket because the weather
can be very changeable here in Melbourne.

Cheers.
-Nick

NickZX6R
September 20th 03, 10:46 AM
enock > wrote:
> I?m from Sydney and I?m attempting this 210 km ride for the first time.
> Has anyone got any suggestions on good training, how to cope with the
> distance or even your personal experiences of the ride.

> I understand with the big bunches and relatively flat terrain that you
> can average high speeds.

> I?m a moderate road bike rider ? cycle to work each day (45 km round
> trip) on Sydney?s north side so use to some hills.

There's not really that much to it. It's pretty flat (although I spose
that's a bit subjective) so as long as you can handle the distance
you should be ok.

Just make sure you have food and water. There are places to stop
and restock along the way.

I think the main thing is not to get sucked in by the fools who go
hell for leather right from the start and then run out of energy
well before the end :)

Also, it might pay to have a waterproof jacket because the weather
can be very changeable here in Melbourne.

Cheers.
-Nick

hippy
September 20th 03, 02:35 PM
"enock" > wrote in message
> I'm from Sydney and I'm attempting this 210 km ride for the first time.
> Has anyone got any suggestions on good training, how to cope with the
> distance or even your personal experiences of the ride.
>
> I understand with the big bunches and relatively flat terrain that you
> can average high speeds.
>
> I'm a moderate road bike rider - cycle to work each day (45 km round
> trip) on Sydney's north side so use to some hills.

I was riding to work each day doing similar distance to you
and than I was riding up to 160k's on the weekends. I only
did this distance a few times before getting busy with other
things on weekends so I'm not sure if it helped or not.

I started the ride VERY slow.. actually, if it wasn't for my
mate who insisted on taking it easy, I think I would have
been one of the fools racing off at the start only to fatigue
before the end.
So, at the start we were passed by HEAPS of people.
Most big bunches in ATB ride slower than the normal
bunch rides I do. We got into a few bunches and did quite
bit up the front (probably because I didn't like bunches
much back then - I was a solo rider and bunches scared
me).
Spoke to quite a few people, saw some interesting
contraptions such as 4-man bikes and recumbents.
Before Sorrento we'd met a woman who was very easy
to talk to. She was into "vaginal microbiside research". I
don't think I will ever forget that! We rode with her until
the end.
I know there was a hill after Frankston but that was the
only one I remember, the rest was flat. We had lunch
while waiting for the ferry at Sorrento. Ferry trip was nice,
sitting on the top deck, soaking in the sun's rays and using
the engine vibrations for cheap thrills.. err.. massage therapy
I mean! ;-)
On the other side we took off again. Passed a guy with a
track pump in his backpack!
My butt and my lower back were killing me at this point
so I was constantly moving around on the bike trying to
get in a comfortable position. This was also causing me
to want to speed up. I wanted to hammer. I held back
for a while and I'd sprint off up the road and then turn
around and met my mates.
With a manageable distance to go (maybe 25k) I was
passed by a fast dude. I said "tata" to my mates and the
chase was on!
If I remember right, he ran a red light or something so
that made me really want to get him!
I worked pretty hard in the last stages of the ride trying
to nail this guy and I got him.. even with my slowing
down for the view over the Westgate bridge.. :-)
I beat my goal time (whatever that was maybe <8 hours?)
and had a bit of a race too. Plus I talked to heaps of
people and picked one up for the distance :-)
Got our photo taken and ate fish and chips after it.
I said I probably wouldn't do it again. I mean, I could
do it alone, without paying ~$65. But this year my
LBS guy has a team doing it so I've entered again.
This might be a bit quicker than last then though
because the team is full of race-types.
What sort of bike/kit will you be using? I can keep
and eye out for ya! :-)

hippy
anything else you wanna know? Dial 1900 SHT TLK ;-)

hippy
September 20th 03, 02:35 PM
"enock" > wrote in message
> [...]

that made me really want to get him!
I worked pretty hard in the last stages of the ride trying
to nail this guy and I got him.. even with my slowing
down for the view over the Westgate bridge.. :-)
I beat my goal time (whatever that was maybe <8 hours?)
and had a bit of a race too. Plus I talked to heaps of
people and picked one up for the distance :-)
Got our photo taken and ate fish and chips after it.
I said I probably wouldn't do it again. I mean, I could
do it alone, without paying ~$65. But this year my
LBS guy has a team doing it so I've entered again.
This might be a bit quicker than last then though
because the team is full of race-types.
What sort of bike/kit will you be using? I can keep
and eye out for ya! :-)

hippy
anything else you wanna know? Dial 1900 SHT TLK ;-)

Deep Freud Moors
September 21st 03, 12:14 AM
enock > wrote in message
> I'm from Sydney and I'm attempting this 210 km ride for the first time.
> Has anyone got any suggestions on good training, how to cope with the
> distance or even your personal experiences of the ride.

If there is wind anything like the wind today, half the trip will be
awesome, the other half will absolutely suck!!!

I am going to wait and see what the forecast is before I decide whether to
do it or no. I don't have a touring bike, and the shogun doesn't really have
suitable tyres. If I can get a more comfy seat for the dragster, higher
gears, and there is no wind, I might just take that!!!
---
DFM

Deep Freud Moors
September 21st 03, 12:14 AM
enock > wrote in message
> I'm from Sydney and I'm attempting this 210 km ride for the first time.
> Has anyone got any suggestions on good training, how to cope with the
> distance or even your personal experiences of the ride.

If there is wind anything like the wind today, half the trip will be
awesome, the other half will absolutely suck!!!

I am going to wait and see what the forecast is before I decide whether to
do it or no. I don't have a touring bike, and the shogun doesn't really have
suitable tyres. If I can get a more comfy seat for the dragster, higher
gears, and there is no wind, I might just take that!!!
---
DFM

Andrew Swan
September 21st 03, 02:03 AM
Deep Freud Moors wrote:
> If there is wind anything like the wind today, half the trip will be
> awesome, the other half will absolutely suck!!!
>
> I am going to wait and see what the forecast is before I decide whether to
> do it or no. I don't have a touring bike, and the shogun doesn't really have
> suitable tyres. If I can get a more comfy seat for the dragster, higher
> gears, and there is no wind, I might just take that!!!
> ---
> DFM

Actually on a hypothetical circular course (which I'm sure ATB is not),
the wind helps you a lot less than 50% of the time. As any yachtsman can
tell you, as your bike moves faster, the apparent wind draws ahead, i.e.
towards the front of the bike.

Wind needs to be in the 100 or so degree arc behind you in order to be
of assistance.

So the ride would suck for about 65-75% of the time, not just half! :-)

&roo

Andrew Swan
September 21st 03, 02:03 AM
Deep Freud Moors wrote:
> If there is wind anything like the wind today, half the trip will be
> awesome, the other half will absolutely suck!!!
>
> I am going to wait and see what the forecast is before I decide whether to
> do it or no. I don't have a touring bike, and the shogun doesn't really have
> suitable tyres. If I can get a more comfy seat for the dragster, higher
> gears, and there is no wind, I might just take that!!!
> ---
> DFM

Actually on a hypothetical circular course (which I'm sure ATB is not),
the wind helps you a lot less than 50% of the time. As any yachtsman can
tell you, as your bike moves faster, the apparent wind draws ahead, i.e.
towards the front of the bike.

Wind needs to be in the 100 or so degree arc behind you in order to be
of assistance.

So the ride would suck for about 65-75% of the time, not just half! :-)

&roo

Andrew Price
September 21st 03, 02:20 AM
"enock" > wrote in message
> I’m attempting this 210 km ride for the first time.
> Has anyone got any suggestions on good training, how to cope with the
> distance or even your personal experiences of the ride.

Have done a few of these so some observations.

Get comfortable doing around 150km (say Peats Ridge and back on the north or
Sublime Point and back on the south).

Unless you have experience in bunch riding don't try to learn on this ride -
you will probably link up with someone around your pace as it unfolds.

Try to avoid getting cold - take 2 bottles and whatever you like to eat in
your jersey so you can avoid stopping a lot or for too long.

You will probably need a jacket or wind vest on the ferry - its
surprisingingly cold when you stop peddling - and take all available cycling
clothing with you to Melb esp arm warmers and longs and make your best guess
of what to wear on the morning.

The western side (Werribee, Altona, Geelong) is a bit dull, smells and is
(usually but not always) the best side to do first in terms of adverse
winds - I'm not convinced of that but it is the conventional wisdom.

Leaving early and making an early ferry makes for a much shorter day (may
need lights for the first half hour)

Be prepared for a hunger bonk in the last 50k - replenish food stocks for
the jersey when you can.

When you finish do some stretches while waiting for mates to finish - gentle
stretches and holds for 30 seconds for your quads, hammies, glutes, hip
flexors, adductors and calf muscles will get the recovery happening that
much sooner - the massages they offer are nice but its the stretchs that
really do you some good - don't care what brand , yoga, pilates or whatever,
stretch back into shape the muscles you just tightened up a tad.

Then go looking for a good late lunch - you have earned it and the
endorphins will keep you high for a week, which is just as well because you
won't feel like riding for a couple of days !

Its a great day (way better than the 'gong) and a good place to get a taste
for endurance riding.

best, Andrew (remove the .x1 to reply)

Andrew Price
September 21st 03, 02:20 AM
"enock" > wrote in message
> I’m attempting this 210 km ride for the first time.
> Has anyone got any suggestions on good training, how to cope with the
> distance or even your personal experiences of the ride.

Have done a few of these so some observations.

Get comfortable doing around 150km (say Peats Ridge and back on the north or
Sublime Point and back on the south).

Unless you have experience in bunch riding don't try to learn on this ride -
you will probably link up with someone around your pace as it unfolds.

Try to avoid getting cold - take 2 bottles and whatever you like to eat in
your jersey so you can avoid stopping a lot or for too long.

You will probably need a jacket or wind vest on the ferry - its
surprisingingly cold when you stop peddling - and take all available cycling
clothing with you to Melb esp arm warmers and longs and make your best guess
of what to wear on the morning.

The western side (Werribee, Altona, Geelong) is a bit dull, smells and is
(usually but not always) the best side to do first in terms of adverse
winds - I'm not convinced of that but it is the conventional wisdom.

Leaving early and making an early ferry makes for a much shorter day (may
need lights for the first half hour)

Be prepared for a hunger bonk in the last 50k - replenish food stocks for
the jersey when you can.

When you finish do some stretches while waiting for mates to finish - gentle
stretches and holds for 30 seconds for your quads, hammies, glutes, hip
flexors, adductors and calf muscles will get the recovery happening that
much sooner - the massages they offer are nice but its the stretchs that
really do you some good - don't care what brand , yoga, pilates or whatever,
stretch back into shape the muscles you just tightened up a tad.

Then go looking for a good late lunch - you have earned it and the
endorphins will keep you high for a week, which is just as well because you
won't feel like riding for a couple of days !

Its a great day (way better than the 'gong) and a good place to get a taste
for endurance riding.

best, Andrew (remove the .x1 to reply)

Richard Sherratt
September 21st 03, 03:00 AM
On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 01:20:45 GMT, "Andrew Price"
> wrote:

>"enock" > wrote in message
>> I’m attempting this 210 km ride for the first time.
>> Has anyone got any suggestions on good training, how to cope with the
>> distance or even your personal experiences of the ride.
>>
>Have done a few of these so some observations.

Good tips.

<snip>

>Try to avoid getting cold - take 2 bottles and whatever you like to eat in
>your jersey so you can avoid stopping a lot or for too long.

You'll probably get some handouts at the rest stations.

<snip>

>Leaving early and making an early ferry makes for a much shorter day (may
>need lights for the first half hour)

You will need lights if you start at 5:00. And it's the best time to
start.

Regards,
Richard.

Richard Sherratt
September 21st 03, 03:00 AM
On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 01:20:45 GMT, "Andrew Price"
> wrote:

>"enock" > wrote in message
>> I’m attempting this 210 km ride for the first time.
>> Has anyone got any suggestions on good training, how to cope with the
>> distance or even your personal experiences of the ride.
>>
>Have done a few of these so some observations.

Good tips.

<snip>

>Try to avoid getting cold - take 2 bottles and whatever you like to eat in
>your jersey so you can avoid stopping a lot or for too long.

You'll probably get some handouts at the rest stations.

<snip>

>Leaving early and making an early ferry makes for a much shorter day (may
>need lights for the first half hour)

You will need lights if you start at 5:00. And it's the best time to
start.

Regards,
Richard.

Scotty
September 21st 03, 01:52 PM
yep some great tips from Andrew...

2 bidons is mandatory...and I prefer to add a sports drink type powder to
mine eg. isostar, gatorade, maxim etc...you also get a sachet in the food
hamper at the ferry.

yes you get fed when you line up for the ferry...just join the queue, and
make sure you bring your ticket or no ferry!!
eat your food on the ferry and fill up your bidons when you get to the other
side (they have these huge bladders full of water with enough teats (well
thats what they look like to me) to service many at once. :-)

Yes it does get cold on the ferry regardless of the day...travel as light as
you can but take enough clothes ie. arm/leg warmers and a rain jacket just
in case.
Have found that the gel packs are great on the go food rather than just
bananas which don't last as long in the energy department IMHO.
Also jelly beans got me through the last 50kms or so (as I'd shove a few in
my mouth every few kms!), so I always take a pack of them. Just don't emtpy
them into your jersey pockets or they'll stain.

Riding in a bunch is good fun and makes the kms go by that much quicker as
the average tempo is higher than by yourself. Just make sure you are in a
group that is compatible with you. There are all sorts of cyclists out
there...experienced, inexperienced and yes even the down right dangerous!!

As for training....you need to be able to ride for a long time so endurance
is the key....some long steady rides up to 140kms was good enough for me
last year...and I'd never ridden more than 165kms before ATB, but there is
always a group somewhere to sit in if you have had it (unless you are
last!).

And yes start early...less wind (if there is going to be any that day...and
there usually is!) and less crowded on the ferry and if all else fails
always someone behind you to keep you going!

enjoy...cya there!
Scotty

"Andrew Price" > wrote in message

> [...]

> the jersey when you can.
>
> When you finish do some stretches while waiting for mates to finish -
gentle
> stretches and holds for 30 seconds for your quads, hammies, glutes, hip
> flexors, adductors and calf muscles will get the recovery happening that
> much sooner - the massages they offer are nice but its the stretchs that
> really do you some good - don't care what brand , yoga, pilates or
whatever,
> stretch back into shape the muscles you just tightened up a tad.
>
> Then go looking for a good late lunch - you have earned it and the
> endorphins will keep you high for a week, which is just as well because
you
> won't feel like riding for a couple of days !
>
> Its a great day (way better than the 'gong) and a good place to get a

September 22nd 03, 11:05 AM
"Scotty" > wrote in message news:7ahbb.4565
> 2 bidons is mandatory...and I prefer to add a sports drink type powder to
> mine eg. isostar, gatorade, maxim etc...you also get a sachet in the food
> hamper at the ferry.

On that note.. fill each bidon with something different. I use water in
one and gatorade/staminade in the other. If you are not used to
drinking sports drinks - you might find two bottles of it all day a bit
too much. Also, bottles that have anything other than water in them
are hard to clean.. at least they are for me. I'm surprised my bottles
don't run away actually.. but that's another matter...

> Have found that the gel packs are great on the go food rather than just
> bananas which don't last as long in the energy department IMHO.

And they are smaller, lighter and much more "squish" resistant...

I remember eating a jam sandwich last year. Just wrap it in cling wrap.
Great change from all the fruit bars, energy drinks/gels, lollies and
bananas.

> And yes start early...less wind (if there is going to be any that
day...and
> there usually is!) and less crowded on the ferry and if all else fails
> always someone behind you to keep you going!

How early did you start? Mine start time will be decided by the team
I'm with this year but I think last year I was in the 2rd or 3rd fastest
starting bunch according to BV's suggestion. There was a wait for
the ferry. Maybe 15-30mins moving through queues, eating lunch
using toilets, etc?

Hmm, I think I might have to start ramping up the k's.. just to see
how I'm feeling with 150+.

hippy

hippy
September 22nd 03, 11:05 AM
"Scotty" > wrote in message news:7ahbb.4565
> 2 bidons is mandatory...and I prefer to add a sports drink type powder to
> mine eg. isostar, gatorade, maxim etc...you also get a sachet in the food
> hamper at the ferry.

On that note.. fill each bidon with something different. I use water in
one and gatorade/staminade in the other. If you are not used to
drinking sports drinks - you might find two bottles of it all day a bit
too much. Also, bottles that have anything other than water in them
are hard to clean.. at least they are for me. I'm surprised my bottles
don't run away actually.. but that's another matter...

> Have found that the gel packs are great on the go food rather than just
> bananas which don't last as long in the energy department IMHO.

And they are smaller, lighter and much more "squish" resistant...

I remember eating a jam sandwich last year. Just wrap it in cling wrap.
Great change from all the fruit bars, energy drinks/gels, lollies and
bananas.

> And yes start early...less wind (if there is going to be any that
day...and
> there usually is!) and less crowded on the ferry and if all else fails
> always someone behind you to keep you going!

How early did you start? Mine start time will be decided by the team
I'm with this year but I think last year I was in the 2rd or 3rd fastest
starting bunch according to BV's suggestion. There was a wait for
the ferry. Maybe 15-30mins moving through queues, eating lunch
using toilets, etc?

Hmm, I think I might have to start ramping up the k's.. just to see
how I'm feeling with 150+.

hippy

Scotty
September 22nd 03, 01:52 PM
we rode from Richmond down to the start and just kept going...it was around
6am from memory and we got in a group that stayed together until the first
half decent climb about 40 or so kms down the road (as we went the
melb-sorrento-queenscliff-melb direction), so it was pretty cruisy at first.
Yeah didnt take long at the ferry, we did pass by lots of cyclists on the
way and then queued a bit but went straight onto a ferry and then ate all
our goodies.
Hardest part is taking enough food but not too much that it ends up as
baggage. I had 4 gel packs, packet of jelly beans, a muesli bar as well as
the lunch you get at the ferry and it was about right. Started eating about
25-30kms in and kept it steady all the way.

"hippy" > wrote in message
> "Scotty" > wrote in message news:7ahbb.4565
> > 2 bidons is mandatory...and I prefer to add a sports drink type powder
> > mine eg. isostar, gatorade, maxim etc...you also get a sachet in the
food
> > hamper at the ferry.
>
> On that note.. fill each bidon with something different. I use water in
> one and gatorade/staminade in the other. If you are not used to
> drinking sports drinks - you might find two bottles of it all day a bit
> too much. Also, bottles that have anything other than water in them
> are hard to clean.. at least they are for me. I'm surprised my bottles
> don't run away actually.. but that's another matter...
>
> > Have found that the gel packs are great on the go food rather than just
> > bananas which don't last as long in the energy department IMHO.
>
> And they are smaller, lighter and much more "squish" resistant...
>
> I remember eating a jam sandwich last year. Just wrap it in cling wrap.
> Great change from all the fruit bars, energy drinks/gels, lollies and
> bananas.
>
> > And yes start early...less wind (if there is going to be any that
> day...and
> > there usually is!) and less crowded on the ferry and if all else fails
> > always someone behind you to keep you going!
>
> How early did you start? Mine start time will be decided by the team
> I'm with this year but I think last year I was in the 2rd or 3rd fastest
> starting bunch according to BV's suggestion. There was a wait for
> the ferry. Maybe 15-30mins moving through queues, eating lunch
> using toilets, etc?
>
> Hmm, I think I might have to start ramping up the k's.. just to see
> how I'm feeling with 150+.
>
> hippy

Al User
September 22nd 03, 03:29 PM
hippy wrote:

>...Also, bottles that have anything other than water in them
> are hard to clean.. at least they are for me. I'm surprised my bottles
> don't run away actually.. but that's another matter...

A tip given to me by a veteran Audax-er for cleaning bidons -
Milton Antibacterial Tablets.
Fill up the bidon with warm water and 1 tablet, leave overnight and its
as clean as a whistle.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=milton+tablet

Al.

Al User
September 22nd 03, 03:29 PM
hippy wrote:

>...Also, bottles that have anything other than water in them
> are hard to clean.. at least they are for me. I'm surprised my bottles
> don't run away actually.. but that's another matter...

A tip given to me by a veteran Audax-er for cleaning bidons -
Milton Antibacterial Tablets.
Fill up the bidon with warm water and 1 tablet, leave overnight and its
as clean as a whistle.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=milton+tablet

Al.

Ritch
September 23rd 03, 12:06 AM
Al User > wrote in message >...
> hippy wrote:
>
> >...Also, bottles that have anything other than water in them
> > are hard to clean.. at least they are for me. I'm surprised my bottles
> > don't run away actually.. but that's another matter...
> >

> A tip given to me by a veteran Audax-er for cleaning bidons -
> Milton Antibacterial Tablets.
> Fill up the bidon with warm water and 1 tablet, leave overnight and its
> as clean as a whistle.
>
> http://www.google.com.au/search?q=milton+tablet
>
> Al.

While not discounting antibacterial tablets at all, I find an
acceptable solution is to wash the bottles in the dishwasher, or by
hand, rinse and rinse again with some vanilla essence. Vanilla essence
is good for getting rid of smells. Of course, this is only effective
if you wash the bottle soon after use - no crusty bits...

Ritch

Ritch
September 23rd 03, 12:06 AM
Al User > wrote in message >...
> hippy wrote:
>
> >...Also, bottles that have anything other than water in them
> > are hard to clean.. at least they are for me. I'm surprised my bottles
> > don't run away actually.. but that's another matter...
> >

> A tip given to me by a veteran Audax-er for cleaning bidons -
> Milton Antibacterial Tablets.
> Fill up the bidon with warm water and 1 tablet, leave overnight and its
> as clean as a whistle.
>
> http://www.google.com.au/search?q=milton+tablet
>
> Al.

While not discounting antibacterial tablets at all, I find an
acceptable solution is to wash the bottles in the dishwasher, or by
hand, rinse and rinse again with some vanilla essence. Vanilla essence
is good for getting rid of smells. Of course, this is only effective
if you wash the bottle soon after use - no crusty bits...

Ritch

Andrew Morris
September 23rd 03, 12:48 PM
I use a tablespoon full of bleach, give it about 20 minutes, then rinse the
bidon (or bladder) and then add a teaspoon of vanilla essence to the said
bidon or bladder, then leave that for a day...

"Ritch" > wrote in message
om...
> Al User > wrote in message
> > hippy wrote:
> >
> > >...Also, bottles that have anything other than water in them
> > > are hard to clean.. at least they are for me. I'm surprised my bottles
> > > don't run away actually.. but that's another matter...
> > >

> > A tip given to me by a veteran Audax-er for cleaning bidons -
> > Milton Antibacterial Tablets.
> > Fill up the bidon with warm water and 1 tablet, leave overnight and its
> > as clean as a whistle.
> >
> > http://www.google.com.au/search?q=milton+tablet
> >
> > Al.
>
> While not discounting antibacterial tablets at all, I find an
> acceptable solution is to wash the bottles in the dishwasher, or by
> hand, rinse and rinse again with some vanilla essence. Vanilla essence
> is good for getting rid of smells. Of course, this is only effective
> if you wash the bottle soon after use - no crusty bits...
>
> Ritch

Andrew Morris
September 23rd 03, 12:48 PM
I use a tablespoon full of bleach, give it about 20 minutes, then rinse the
bidon (or bladder) and then add a teaspoon of vanilla essence to the said
bidon or bladder, then leave that for a day...

"Ritch" > wrote in message
om...
> Al User > wrote in message
> > hippy wrote:
> >
> > >...Also, bottles that have anything other than water in them
> > > are hard to clean.. at least they are for me. I'm surprised my bottles
> > > don't run away actually.. but that's another matter...
> > >

> > A tip given to me by a veteran Audax-er for cleaning bidons -
> > Milton Antibacterial Tablets.
> > Fill up the bidon with warm water and 1 tablet, leave overnight and its
> > as clean as a whistle.
> >
> > http://www.google.com.au/search?q=milton+tablet
> >
> > Al.
>
> While not discounting antibacterial tablets at all, I find an
> acceptable solution is to wash the bottles in the dishwasher, or by
> hand, rinse and rinse again with some vanilla essence. Vanilla essence
> is good for getting rid of smells. Of course, this is only effective
> if you wash the bottle soon after use - no crusty bits...
>
> Ritch

gescom
September 23rd 03, 12:53 PM
I'm also thinking about riding ATB this year for the first time.

What's the traffic like most of the way? Do you have to ride on the
shoulder of the road or are road lanes set aside for the event?

Can anyone else share their experiences of past events, good or bad?

Thanks

gescom
September 23rd 03, 12:53 PM
I'm also thinking about riding ATB this year for the first time.

What's the traffic like most of the way? Do you have to ride on the
shoulder of the road or are road lanes set aside for the event?

Can anyone else share their experiences of past events, good or bad?

Thanks

Scotty
September 23rd 03, 01:05 PM
yep I use the dishwasher too...although I have put them in the bottom rack
only to find the element has melted the mouth piece/top...so only put them
in the top rack...doh!

and after a while they do need replacing as they WILL get used and abused
overtime and grotty on the outside.

"Ritch" > wrote in message
om...
> Al User > wrote in message
> > hippy wrote:
> >
> > >...Also, bottles that have anything other than water in them
> > > are hard to clean.. at least they are for me. I'm surprised my bottles
> > > don't run away actually.. but that's another matter...
> > >

> > A tip given to me by a veteran Audax-er for cleaning bidons -
> > Milton Antibacterial Tablets.
> > Fill up the bidon with warm water and 1 tablet, leave overnight and its
> > as clean as a whistle.
> >
> > http://www.google.com.au/search?q=milton+tablet
> >
> > Al.
>
> While not discounting antibacterial tablets at all, I find an
> acceptable solution is to wash the bottles in the dishwasher, or by
> hand, rinse and rinse again with some vanilla essence. Vanilla essence
> is good for getting rid of smells. Of course, this is only effective
> if you wash the bottle soon after use - no crusty bits...
>
> Ritch

Scotty
September 23rd 03, 01:05 PM
yep I use the dishwasher too...although I have put them in the bottom rack
only to find the element has melted the mouth piece/top...so only put them
in the top rack...doh!

and after a while they do need replacing as they WILL get used and abused
overtime and grotty on the outside.

"Ritch" > wrote in message
om...
> Al User > wrote in message
> > hippy wrote:
> >
> > >...Also, bottles that have anything other than water in them
> > > are hard to clean.. at least they are for me. I'm surprised my bottles
> > > don't run away actually.. but that's another matter...
> > >

> > A tip given to me by a veteran Audax-er for cleaning bidons -
> > Milton Antibacterial Tablets.
> > Fill up the bidon with warm water and 1 tablet, leave overnight and its
> > as clean as a whistle.
> >
> > http://www.google.com.au/search?q=milton+tablet
> >
> > Al.
>
> While not discounting antibacterial tablets at all, I find an
> acceptable solution is to wash the bottles in the dishwasher, or by
> hand, rinse and rinse again with some vanilla essence. Vanilla essence
> is good for getting rid of smells. Of course, this is only effective
> if you wash the bottle soon after use - no crusty bits...
>
> Ritch

hippy
September 24th 03, 12:33 AM
"gescom" > wrote in message
> I'm also thinking about riding ATB this year for the first time.

Do it, do it! :-)

> What's the traffic like most of the way? Do you have to ride on the
> shoulder of the road or are road lanes set aside for the event?

I think (don't quote me!) that there are no lanes set aside. It
was riding along the road like you (well, I) normally would.
Traffic is not too bad given the early start, obviously heavier
at the end of the ride.
There are a few d*&ks that give out the usual attitude from
the safety of their cars and quite a few friendly drivers too.
Safety is pretty good given the sheer number of riders on
the same stretch of road.

> Can anyone else share their experiences of past events, good or bad?

See my earlier post. The only "bad" thing I can recall, was a
really, really sore butt... yes... from bike riding! :-P

hippy

hippy
September 24th 03, 12:33 AM
"gescom" > wrote in message
> I'm also thinking about riding ATB this year for the first time.

Do it, do it! :-)

> What's the traffic like most of the way? Do you have to ride on the
> shoulder of the road or are road lanes set aside for the event?

I think (don't quote me!) that there are no lanes set aside. It
was riding along the road like you (well, I) normally would.
Traffic is not too bad given the early start, obviously heavier
at the end of the ride.
There are a few d*&ks that give out the usual attitude from
the safety of their cars and quite a few friendly drivers too.
Safety is pretty good given the sheer number of riders on
the same stretch of road.

> Can anyone else share their experiences of past events, good or bad?

See my earlier post. The only "bad" thing I can recall, was a
really, really sore butt... yes... from bike riding! :-P

hippy

ProfTournesol
September 24th 03, 07:36 AM
enock wrote:
> I’m from Sydney and I’m attempting this 210 km ride for the first time.
> Has anyone got any suggestions on good training, how to cope with the
> distance or even your personal experiences of the ride.

just to expand on this question... ATB is a long day, what about
doing 'number 2s'? I was reading the Le Tour newsticker this year
and it described this scenario for Jan Ullrich but described the
scene as being 'too gruesome to describe'! What do people do if you
'can't wait'?

In addition, how does one actually pee (off the bike) wearing a bib?
Pulling down the front will stretch the fabric after a while (but if
you've gotta go...) but how does one have a poo when in the middle of a
long (cold) day or with no convenient trees, or in a suburban area
(without a Maccas - they've got to be good for something) without
totally disrobing?

--
Regards Michael

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

ProfTournesol
September 24th 03, 07:36 AM
enock wrote:
> I’m from Sydney and I’m attempting this 210 km ride for the first time.
> Has anyone got any suggestions on good training, how to cope with the
> distance or even your personal experiences of the ride.

just to expand on this question... ATB is a long day, what about
doing 'number 2s'? I was reading the Le Tour newsticker this year
and it described this scenario for Jan Ullrich but described the
scene as being 'too gruesome to describe'! What do people do if you
'can't wait'?

In addition, how does one actually pee (off the bike) wearing a bib?
Pulling down the front will stretch the fabric after a while (but if
you've gotta go...) but how does one have a poo when in the middle of a
long (cold) day or with no convenient trees, or in a suburban area
(without a Maccas - they've got to be good for something) without
totally disrobing?

--
Regards Michael

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

kochan
September 24th 03, 12:09 PM
Spider1977 wrote:
> Sounds to me that you are under-prepared not over-prepared. Don't stop
> training two weeks out or you'll never make it. Do a solid ride the
> weekend before then taper off during the week by doing some easy spin
> work just to keep your muscles tuned and fresh for the big ride.

Oh ok - thanks for the tips Spider: What kind of training schedule
should I be taking up then? I'm just looking to finish the ride in under
12 hours, not set a new record *^^*

Also - what do you mean by 'solid ride'? 150kms with say 10 kms of
decent hills count? Anyone know a ride that would be a good test to see
if you're ready for ATB?

Cheers! My Rant Ko-chan

kochan
September 24th 03, 12:09 PM
Spider1977 wrote:
> Sounds to me that you are under-prepared not over-prepared. Don't stop
> training two weeks out or you'll never make it. Do a solid ride the
> weekend before then taper off during the week by doing some easy spin
> work just to keep your muscles tuned and fresh for the big ride.

Oh ok - thanks for the tips Spider: What kind of training schedule
should I be taking up then? I'm just looking to finish the ride in under
12 hours, not set a new record *^^*

Also - what do you mean by 'solid ride'? 150kms with say 10 kms of
decent hills count? Anyone know a ride that would be a good test to see
if you're ready for ATB?

Cheers! My Rant Ko-chan

Spider1977
September 24th 03, 12:09 PM
ProfTournesol wrote:
> I was reading the Le Tour newsticker this year and it described this
> scenario for Jan Ullrich but described the scene as being 'too gruesome
> to describe'! What do people do if you 'can't wait'?
> ....... but how does one have a poo when in the middle of a long (cold)
> day or with no convenient trees, or in a suburban area (without a
> Maccas - they've got to be good for something) without totally
> disrobing?

Prof, Jan did it in a bucket held out the window of the team car,
while still moving at the back of the peleton. Yes it is gruesome
especially for the guy holding the bucket and the other people in the
car I imagine.

What a gruesome subject - find a public loo or go and knock on a door
and ask to use the toilet. Most importantly take this thread
elsewhere!:(

Spider1977
September 24th 03, 12:09 PM
ProfTournesol wrote:
> I was reading the Le Tour newsticker this year and it described this
> scenario for Jan Ullrich but described the scene as being 'too gruesome
> to describe'! What do people do if you 'can't wait'?
> ....... but how does one have a poo when in the middle of a long (cold)
> day or with no convenient trees, or in a suburban area (without a
> Maccas - they've got to be good for something) without totally
> disrobing?

Prof, Jan did it in a bucket held out the window of the team car,
while still moving at the back of the peleton. Yes it is gruesome
especially for the guy holding the bucket and the other people in the
car I imagine.

What a gruesome subject - find a public loo or go and knock on a door
and ask to use the toilet. Most importantly take this thread
elsewhere!:(

Spider1977
September 24th 03, 12:36 PM
kochan wrote:
> Also - what do you mean by 'solid ride'? 150kms with say 10 kms of
> decent hills count? Anyone know a ride that would be a good test to see
> if you're ready for ATB?
> Cheers! My Rant Ko-chan

Sounds good to me.:cool:

Spider1977
September 24th 03, 12:36 PM
kochan wrote:
> Also - what do you mean by 'solid ride'? 150kms with say 10 kms of
> decent hills count? Anyone know a ride that would be a good test to see
> if you're ready for ATB?
> Cheers! My Rant Ko-chan

Sounds good to me.:cool:

ProfTournesol
September 24th 03, 12:36 PM
Spider1977 wrote:
> Prof, Jan did it in a bucket held out the window of the team car,
> while still moving at the back of the peleton. Yes it is gruesome
> especially for the guy holding the bucket and the other people in the
> car I imagine.
> I'm glad I was spared the graphic description then:-)
> What a gruesome subject - find a public loo or go and knock on a door
> and ask to use the toilet. Most importantly take this thread
> elsewhere!:(

Where? Isn't this the forum for what is really a legitimate question,
and rather important in an all-day event like ATB or a long Audax event.
A bib is a much more comfortable choice for these long events, but I
really would like to hear how other people have dealt with this problem.
I'm not looking for suggestions like 'use a service station', after all,
I am a Professor!

--

Spider1977 wrote:
> Prof, Jan did it in a bucket held out the window of the team car,
> while still moving at the back of the peleton. Yes it is gruesome
> especially for the guy holding the bucket and the other people in the
> car I imagine.
> I'm glad I was spared the graphic description then:-)
> What a gruesome subject - find a public loo or go and knock on a door
> and ask to use the toilet. Most importantly take this thread
> elsewhere!:(

Where? Isn't this the forum for what is really a legitimate question,
and rather important in an all-day event like ATB or a long Audax event.
A bib is a much more comfortable choice for these long events, but I
really would like to hear how other people have dealt with this problem.
I'm not looking for suggestions like 'use a service station', after all,
I am a Professor!

--
Regards Michael

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Scotty
September 24th 03, 01:06 PM
with bib shorts doing a pee is easiest by pulling up the material over the
thigh (which one depends on which side you dress :-) )...no need to disrobe!
just make sure you shake or you'll leave a nice circle of urine on your
knicks...eurrgh!

as for no 2s well never had to....remember you're cycling so the urge is
less but if you have to, use one of the toilets at the ferry or one of the
public toilets along the way (there are a few if you look eg, servos, maccas
etc).

"ProfTournesol" > wrote in message
> enock wrote:
> > I'm from Sydney and I'm attempting this 210 km ride for the first
time.
> > Has anyone got any suggestions on good training, how to cope with the
> > distance or even your personal experiences of the ride.
>

> just to expand on this question... ATB is a long day, what about
> doing 'number 2s'? I was reading the Le Tour newsticker this year
> and it described this scenario for Jan Ullrich but described the
> scene as being 'too gruesome to describe'! What do people do if you
> 'can't wait'?
>
> In addition, how does one actually pee (off the bike) wearing a bib?
> Pulling down the front will stretch the fabric after a while (but if
> you've gotta go...) but how does one have a poo when in the middle of a
> long (cold) day or with no convenient trees, or in a suburban area
> (without a Maccas - they've got to be good for something) without
> totally disrobing?
>

> --
> Regards Michael
>
> Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat
you with experience.

Scotty
September 24th 03, 01:06 PM
with bib shorts doing a pee is easiest by pulling up the material over the
thigh (which one depends on which side you dress :-) )...no need to disrobe!
just make sure you shake or you'll leave a nice circle of urine on your
knicks...eurrgh!

as for no 2s well never had to....remember you're cycling so the urge is
less but if you have to, use one of the toilets at the ferry or one of the
public toilets along the way (there are a few if you look eg, servos, maccas
etc).

"ProfTournesol" > wrote in message
> enock wrote:
> > I'm from Sydney and I'm attempting this 210 km ride for the first
time.
> > Has anyone got any suggestions on good training, how to cope with the
> > distance or even your personal experiences of the ride.
>

> just to expand on this question... ATB is a long day, what about
> doing 'number 2s'? I was reading the Le Tour newsticker this year
> and it described this scenario for Jan Ullrich but described the
> scene as being 'too gruesome to describe'! What do people do if you
> 'can't wait'?
>
> In addition, how does one actually pee (off the bike) wearing a bib?
> Pulling down the front will stretch the fabric after a while (but if
> you've gotta go...) but how does one have a poo when in the middle of a
> long (cold) day or with no convenient trees, or in a suburban area
> (without a Maccas - they've got to be good for something) without
> totally disrobing?
>

> --
> Regards Michael
>
> Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat
you with experience.

ProfTournesol
September 24th 03, 01:15 PM
Spider1977 wrote:
> Sounds good to me.:cool:

I did StKilda - Mornington-Stkilda last Friday (boy was it windy!) and
I'll do StK - Rosebud-StK before the ATB.

--

Spider1977 wrote:
> Sounds good to me.:cool:

I did StKilda - Mornington-Stkilda last Friday (boy was it windy!) and
I'll do StK - Rosebud-StK before the ATB.:rolleyes:

--
Regards Michael

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Regards Michael

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

http://www.cyclingforums.com

ProfTournesol
September 24th 03, 01:15 PM
Spider1977 wrote:
> Sounds good to me.:cool:

I did StKilda - Mornington-Stkilda last Friday (boy was it windy!) and
I'll do StK - Rosebud-StK before the ATB.:rolleyes:

--
Regards Michael

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Regards Michael

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

http://www.cyclingforums.com

kochan
September 24th 03, 02:15 PM
ProfTournesol wrote:
> I did StKilda - Mornington-Stkilda last Friday (boy was it windy!) and
> I'll do StK - Rosebud-StK before the ATB.:rolleyes:

Hmm, would St Kilda - Dromana - St Kilda be too ambitious? (Yes I know
the hills between Frankston and Dromana are in there TWICE).

My Rant Ko-Chan

kochan
September 24th 03, 02:15 PM
ProfTournesol wrote:
> I did StKilda - Mornington-Stkilda last Friday (boy was it windy!) and
> I'll do StK - Rosebud-StK before the ATB.:rolleyes:

Hmm, would St Kilda - Dromana - St Kilda be too ambitious? (Yes I know
the hills between Frankston and Dromana are in there TWICE).

My Rant Ko-Chan

Richard Sherratt
September 24th 03, 08:30 PM
On 24 Sep 2003 16:26:19 +0950, ProfTournesol
> wrote:

> just to expand on this question... ATB is a long day, what about
> doing 'number 2s'?

Most of the rest stops have public toilets nearby.

Regards,
Richard.

Richard Sherratt
September 24th 03, 08:30 PM
On 24 Sep 2003 16:26:19 +0950, ProfTournesol
> wrote:

> just to expand on this question... ATB is a long day, what about
> doing 'number 2s'?

Most of the rest stops have public toilets nearby.

Regards,
Richard.

ProfTournesol
September 25th 03, 03:10 AM
kochan wrote:
> Hmm, would St Kilda - Dromana - St Kilda be too ambitious? (Yes I know
> the hills between Frankston and Dromana are in there TWICE).
> My Rant Ko-Chan

the Bellarine Peninsula from Queenscliff to Geelong is quite undulating
too. At least StK -Dromana-StK means you only have to go UP Olivers
Hill once:-)

It's a bit mean diverting cyclists up the side road that is considerably
steeper than the section of road that the cars drive up:-(

--

kochan wrote:
> Hmm, would St Kilda - Dromana - St Kilda be too ambitious? (Yes I know
> the hills between Frankston and Dromana are in there TWICE).
> My Rant Ko-Chan

the Bellarine Peninsula from Queenscliff to Geelong is quite undulating
too. At least StK -Dromana-StK means you only have to go UP Olivers
Hill once:-)

It's a bit mean diverting cyclists up the side road that is considerably
steeper than the section of road that the cars drive up:-(

--
Regards Michael

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Cletus75
September 25th 03, 05:07 AM
ProfTournesol wrote:
> the Bellarine Peninsula from Queenscliff to Geelong is quite undulating
> too. At least StK -Dromana-StK means you only have to go UP Olivers
> Hill once:-)
> It's a bit mean diverting cyclists up the side road that is considerably
> steeper than the section of road that the cars drive up:-(

to finish. I haven't tried it yet (just got into cycling) and am trying
to fit whatever cycling in I can around other commitments. I'm also very
aware that I haven't done nearly enough miles to finish it in credible
fashion, but I should still finish though... right...? Please say yes...

Cletus75
September 25th 03, 05:07 AM
ProfTournesol wrote:
> the Bellarine Peninsula from Queenscliff to Geelong is quite undulating
> too. At least StK -Dromana-StK means you only have to go UP Olivers
> Hill once:-)
> It's a bit mean diverting cyclists up the side road that is considerably
> steeper than the section of road that the cars drive up:-(

to finish. I haven't tried it yet (just got into cycling) and am trying
to fit whatever cycling in I can around other commitments. I'm also very
aware that I haven't done nearly enough miles to finish it in credible
fashion, but I should still finish though... right...? Please say yes...

Richard Sherratt
September 25th 03, 08:43 AM
On 25 Sep 2003 12:00:22 +0950, ProfTournesol
> wrote:

>the Bellarine Peninsula from Queenscliff to Geelong is quite undulating
>too.

But nothing really steep. Perhaps a little harder than the undulations
between Mornington and Frankston.

>At least StK -Dromana-StK means you only have to go UP Olivers
>Hill once:-)
>It's a bit mean diverting cyclists up the side road that is considerably
>steeper than the section of road that the cars drive up:-(

What makes it worse is the name of that horrid little side road. What
evil-minded comedian named the thing "Hopes Rise"? Every time I ride
up the thing I see the sign and automatically think "No they f*&%ing
don't!

And who's idea was it to put in the speed bumps? It's one way. Up
hill. Wow! If it wasn't for the speed bumps I'd be doing over 50 up
there. As if ... :-)

Regards,
Richard.

Richard Sherratt
September 25th 03, 08:43 AM
On 25 Sep 2003 12:00:22 +0950, ProfTournesol
> wrote:

>the Bellarine Peninsula from Queenscliff to Geelong is quite undulating
>too.

But nothing really steep. Perhaps a little harder than the undulations
between Mornington and Frankston.

>At least StK -Dromana-StK means you only have to go UP Olivers
>Hill once:-)
>It's a bit mean diverting cyclists up the side road that is considerably
>steeper than the section of road that the cars drive up:-(

What makes it worse is the name of that horrid little side road. What
evil-minded comedian named the thing "Hopes Rise"? Every time I ride
up the thing I see the sign and automatically think "No they f*&%ing
don't!

And who's idea was it to put in the speed bumps? It's one way. Up
hill. Wow! If it wasn't for the speed bumps I'd be doing over 50 up
there. As if ... :-)

Regards,
Richard.

ProfTournesol
September 25th 03, 10:11 AM
Richard Sherrat wrote:
> On 25 Sep 2003 12:00:22 +0950, ProfTournesol
> > wrote:
> And who's idea was it to put in the speed bumps? It's one way. Up hill.
> Wow! If it wasn't for the speed bumps I'd be doing over 50 up there. As
> if ... :-)
> Regards, Richard.

if you stick to the left side of the road there are no speed humps:-)

--

Richard Sherrat wrote:
> On 25 Sep 2003 12:00:22 +0950, ProfTournesol
> > wrote:
> And who's idea was it to put in the speed bumps? It's one way. Up hill.
> Wow! If it wasn't for the speed bumps I'd be doing over 50 up there. As
> if ... :-)
> Regards, Richard.

if you stick to the left side of the road there are no speed humps:-)

--
Regards Michael

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

kochan
September 25th 03, 12:27 PM
Cletus75 wrote:
> to finish. I haven't tried it yet (just got into cycling) and am trying
> to fit whatever cycling in I can around other commitments. I'm also very
> aware that I haven't done nearly enough miles to finish it in credible
> fashion, but I should still finish though... right...? Please say yes...

Same Cletus!! I've only been riding for 4 months. Wonder if you're keen
on training together maybe? I live in Knoxfield (South Eastern side).

Cheers! Ko-Chan

kochan
September 25th 03, 12:27 PM
Cletus75 wrote:
> to finish. I haven't tried it yet (just got into cycling) and am trying
> to fit whatever cycling in I can around other commitments. I'm also very
> aware that I haven't done nearly enough miles to finish it in credible
> fashion, but I should still finish though... right...? Please say yes...

Same Cletus!! I've only been riding for 4 months. Wonder if you're keen
on training together maybe? I live in Knoxfield (South Eastern side).

Cheers! Ko-Chan

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home