PDA

View Full Version : New bike or plug on with the old one?

thebow
September 29th 03, 07:12 AM
Hi,

I am just getting back into riding my road bike, been on a MTB for a
while and feel like a change.

My old road bike is a cromo Avanti super sprint with shimano 600
groupset.

Question is do I get the old thing serviced and ride for a while or get
a new one and start afresh?

Was thinking about a learsport 105 equipped bike with 540 wheel or
whatever I can get out of the LBS for that price. I suppose it doesn't
really matter as it seems the most crap new bike is heaps better than my
current ride.

Andrew Morris
September 29th 03, 11:56 AM
Get it serviced... if you want a 540 wheelset, there is one on eBay at the
moment for $250...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3628431536&category=7295&rd=1

"thebow" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am just getting back into riding my road bike, been on a MTB for a
> while and feel like a change.
>
> My old road bike is a cromo Avanti super sprint with shimano 600
> groupset.
>
> Question is do I get the old thing serviced and ride for a while or get
> a new one and start afresh?
>
> Was thinking about a learsport 105 equipped bike with 540 wheel or
> whatever I can get out of the LBS for that price. I suppose it doesn't
> really matter as it seems the most crap new bike is heaps better than my
> current ride.
>

> --

thebow
September 30th 03, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Andrew Morris Get it serviced... if you want a 540
wheelset, there is one on eBay at the moment for $250...

[]

So is my orignial assumption incorrect? My old bike is not worse that a
cheaper $1500 new ride?

I am not sure pumping money into an older bike is a good idea but .

What is the advantage of fixing my old one and chucking a few bits on
rather than brand new?

I would have figured the extra gears, lighter frame and wheelset, carbon
fork etc would make for much better riding.

thebow
September 30th 03, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Andrew Morris Get it serviced... if you want a 540
wheelset, there is one on eBay at the moment for $250...

[]

So is my orignial assumption incorrect? My old bike is not worse that a
cheaper $1500 new ride?

I am not sure pumping money into an older bike is a good idea but .

What is the advantage of fixing my old one and chucking a few bits on
rather than brand new?

I would have figured the extra gears, lighter frame and wheelset, carbon
fork etc would make for much better riding.

hippy
September 30th 03, 03:06 AM
"thebow" > wrote in message
> So is my orignial assumption incorrect? My old bike is not worse that
> cheaper $1500 new ride?

Well, your old bike might not look as good, but, assuming it works,
it should be totally fine. Especially if you are more into mountain
biking. Shimano 600 was pretty good stuff wasn't it? I think it was
the old Ultegra?

> I am not sure pumping money into an older bike is a good idea but .
> What is the advantage of fixing my old one and chucking a few bits on
> rather than brand new?

Well, that all depends on what is "wrong" with it. If it needs some
bar tape, paint and more air in the tyres, you don't need a new bike.
If, the driveline fell off 3 years ago and the frame is only held
together
with sticky tape.. then maybe a new bike is the right way to go.
Tell us what's wrong with it and we can give you a better idea of
the cost/benefit with old versus new.

> I would have figured the extra gears, lighter frame and wheelset,
carbon
> fork etc would make for much better riding.

It's only a couple of extra gears. If you want to go faster, pedal
harder :-P

Lighter frame depends on the weight of your current one - don't assume
a new aluminium frame will be lighter, especially a cheaper one.

I have a carbon fork on my bike. I couldn't tell you if it makes the
ride
any nicer. I can tell you that I've read enough about sudden carbon
failure to worry about it a little.. not enought to swap it mind you,
but
the thought is there in the back of my mind.

If you have the money and if buying a new bike will make you ride
more then I'd always suggest going for it, but it's often not that bad
an idea to simply fix an older bike.

HTH
hippy
- owns new and old bikes alike and loves them all :-)

hippy
September 30th 03, 03:06 AM
"thebow" > wrote in message
> So is my orignial assumption incorrect? My old bike is not worse that
> cheaper $1500 new ride?

Well, your old bike might not look as good, but, assuming it works,
it should be totally fine. Especially if you are more into mountain
biking. Shimano 600 was pretty good stuff wasn't it? I think it was
the old Ultegra?

> I am not sure pumping money into an older bike is a good idea but .
> What is the advantage of fixing my old one and chucking a few bits on
> rather than brand new?

Well, that all depends on what is "wrong" with it. If it needs some
bar tape, paint and more air in the tyres, you don't need a new bike.
If, the driveline fell off 3 years ago and the frame is only held
together
with sticky tape.. then maybe a new bike is the right way to go.
Tell us what's wrong with it and we can give you a better idea of
the cost/benefit with old versus new.

> I would have figured the extra gears, lighter frame and wheelset,
carbon
> fork etc would make for much better riding.

It's only a couple of extra gears. If you want to go faster, pedal
harder :-P

Lighter frame depends on the weight of your current one - don't assume
a new aluminium frame will be lighter, especially a cheaper one.

I have a carbon fork on my bike. I couldn't tell you if it makes the
ride
any nicer. I can tell you that I've read enough about sudden carbon
failure to worry about it a little.. not enought to swap it mind you,
but
the thought is there in the back of my mind.

If you have the money and if buying a new bike will make you ride
more then I'd always suggest going for it, but it's often not that bad
an idea to simply fix an older bike.

HTH
hippy
- owns new and old bikes alike and loves them all :-)

Cletus75
September 30th 03, 04:23 AM
thebow [/i]
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by Andrew Morris wrote:[i]
> Get it serviced... if you want a 540 wheelset, there is one on eBay at
> the moment for $250...
> []
> So is my orignial assumption incorrect? My old bike is not worse that a
> cheaper $1500 new ride?
> I am not sure pumping money into an older bike is a good idea but .
> What is the advantage of fixing my old one and chucking a few bits on
> rather than brand new?
> I would have figured the extra gears, lighter frame and wheelset, carbon
> fork etc would make for much better riding.

I was grappling with a similar dilemma - and what was the clincher for
me was STI. Given that your old bike is running a 600 groupset, I'm
assuming you don't have it. It makes a difference and is a reasaonable
excuse when trying to justify the expense to yourself (its safer, and
the cost of retrofitting it would almost cost the same as a new bike,
therefore I might as well get the new bike...) :p

Cletus75
September 30th 03, 04:23 AM
thebow [/i]
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by Andrew Morris wrote:[i]
> Get it serviced... if you want a 540 wheelset, there is one on eBay at
> the moment for $250...
> []
> So is my orignial assumption incorrect? My old bike is not worse that a
> cheaper $1500 new ride?
> I am not sure pumping money into an older bike is a good idea but .
> What is the advantage of fixing my old one and chucking a few bits on
> rather than brand new?
> I would have figured the extra gears, lighter frame and wheelset, carbon
> fork etc would make for much better riding.

I was grappling with a similar dilemma - and what was the clincher for
me was STI. Given that your old bike is running a 600 groupset, I'm
assuming you don't have it. It makes a difference and is a reasaonable
excuse when trying to justify the expense to yourself (its safer, and
the cost of retrofitting it would almost cost the same as a new bike,
therefore I might as well get the new bike...) :p

thebow
September 30th 03, 04:47 AM
Cletus75 wrote:
> I was grappling with a similar dilemma - and what was the clincher for
> me was STI. Given that your old bike is running a 600 groupset, I'm
> assuming you don't have it. It makes a difference and is a reasaonable
> excuse when trying to justify the expense to yourself (its safer, and
> the cost of retrofitting it would almost cost the same as a new bike,
> therefore I might as well get the new bike...) :p

Actually I was thinking about it and you are dead right about STI. I
want to do some commuting as well and it only takes a couple of seconds
of distraction to get wiped out.

STI is something I want and I think I'll just put the old girl on ebay
as it's still quite a solid but old bike and put the small procedes
towards a new one.

I can afford it so I guess I might as well go for it and to hell with
buyers remorse :-)

thebow
September 30th 03, 04:47 AM
Cletus75 wrote:
> I was grappling with a similar dilemma - and what was the clincher for
> me was STI. Given that your old bike is running a 600 groupset, I'm
> assuming you don't have it. It makes a difference and is a reasaonable
> excuse when trying to justify the expense to yourself (its safer, and
> the cost of retrofitting it would almost cost the same as a new bike,
> therefore I might as well get the new bike...) :p

Actually I was thinking about it and you are dead right about STI. I
want to do some commuting as well and it only takes a couple of seconds
of distraction to get wiped out.

STI is something I want and I think I'll just put the old girl on ebay
as it's still quite a solid but old bike and put the small procedes
towards a new one.

I can afford it so I guess I might as well go for it and to hell with
buyers remorse :-)

Cletus75
September 30th 03, 05:47 AM
thebow wrote:
> Actually I was thinking about it and you are dead right about STI. I
> want to do some commuting as well and it only takes a couple of seconds
> of distraction to get wiped out.
> STI is something I want and I think I'll just put the old girl on ebay
> as it's still quite a solid but old bike and put the small procedes
> towards a new one.
> I can afford it so I guess I might as well go for it and to hell with
> buyers remorse :-)

Attaboy!

Cletus75
September 30th 03, 05:47 AM
thebow wrote:
> Actually I was thinking about it and you are dead right about STI. I
> want to do some commuting as well and it only takes a couple of seconds
> of distraction to get wiped out.
> STI is something I want and I think I'll just put the old girl on ebay
> as it's still quite a solid but old bike and put the small procedes
> towards a new one.
> I can afford it so I guess I might as well go for it and to hell with
> buyers remorse :-)

Attaboy!

hippy
September 30th 03, 07:58 AM
"Cletus75" > wrote in message
> > STI is something I want and I think I'll just put the old girl on
ebay
> > as it's still quite a solid but old bike and put the small
procedes
> > towards a new one.
> > I can afford it so I guess I might as well go for it and to hell
with
> > buyers remorse :-)

Nice.. now you have the "problem" of picking a bike, fitting
it out with tasty bits and pieces and speeding off into the
sunset! :-)
Check out what's on offer at your nearby LBS's and
compare them (and their attitude/deal) with the Learsport
stuff. I prefer my LBS for bikes and parts but I have a
friendly one ;-)

Good Luck,
hippy

hippy
September 30th 03, 07:58 AM
"Cletus75" > wrote in message
> > STI is something I want and I think I'll just put the old girl on
ebay
> > as it's still quite a solid but old bike and put the small
procedes
> > towards a new one.
> > I can afford it so I guess I might as well go for it and to hell
with
> > buyers remorse :-)

Nice.. now you have the "problem" of picking a bike, fitting
it out with tasty bits and pieces and speeding off into the
sunset! :-)
Check out what's on offer at your nearby LBS's and
compare them (and their attitude/deal) with the Learsport
stuff. I prefer my LBS for bikes and parts but I have a
friendly one ;-)

Good Luck,
hippy

Cletus75
September 30th 03, 12:18 PM
Hippy wrote:
> Nice.. now you have the "problem" of picking a bike, fitting it out with
> tasty bits and pieces and speeding off into the sunset! :-) Check out
> what's on offer at your nearby LBS's and compare them (and their
> attitude/deal) with the Learsport stuff. I prefer my LBS for bikes and
> parts but I have a friendly one ;-)
> Good Luck, hippy

Why is it that wild horses can't drag me shopping for clothes and yet
Hippy's "problem" is something we'll all spend days doing? :cool:

Cletus75
September 30th 03, 12:18 PM
Hippy wrote:
> Nice.. now you have the "problem" of picking a bike, fitting it out with
> tasty bits and pieces and speeding off into the sunset! :-) Check out
> what's on offer at your nearby LBS's and compare them (and their
> attitude/deal) with the Learsport stuff. I prefer my LBS for bikes and
> parts but I have a friendly one ;-)
> Good Luck, hippy

Why is it that wild horses can't drag me shopping for clothes and yet
Hippy's "problem" is something we'll all spend days doing? :cool:

thebow
October 1st 03, 01:13 AM
Hippy wrote:
> [Nice.. now you have the "problem" of picking a bike, fitting it out
> with tasty bits and pieces and speeding off into the sunset! :-) Check
> out what's on offer at your nearby LBS's and compare them (and their
> attitude/deal) with the Learsport stuff. I prefer my LBS for bikes and
> parts but I have a friendly one ;-)
> Good Luck, hippy

Thanks..

I have already done the rounds of the LBS and while some of the guys
have been great it's really hard fro me to justify a $500-$1000 premium
for shopping there.

I am kind of equating this to the Brand name PC's vs build your own
clone machine.

The Brand name is going to have more refinement, the nice case and
better service. The clone on the other hand does the job just as well
but costs less due to the minimum of overheads.

I may lose a bit of refinement but it beats not being able to afford the
level of componentry that I desire.

thebow
October 1st 03, 01:13 AM
Hippy wrote:
> [Nice.. now you have the "problem" of picking a bike, fitting it out
> with tasty bits and pieces and speeding off into the sunset! :-) Check
> out what's on offer at your nearby LBS's and compare them (and their
> attitude/deal) with the Learsport stuff. I prefer my LBS for bikes and
> parts but I have a friendly one ;-)
> Good Luck, hippy

Thanks..

I have already done the rounds of the LBS and while some of the guys
have been great it's really hard fro me to justify a $500-$1000 premium
for shopping there.

I am kind of equating this to the Brand name PC's vs build your own
clone machine.

The Brand name is going to have more refinement, the nice case and
better service. The clone on the other hand does the job just as well
but costs less due to the minimum of overheads.

I may lose a bit of refinement but it beats not being able to afford the
level of componentry that I desire.

hippy
October 1st 03, 03:45 AM
"thebow" > wrote in message
> I am kind of equating this to the Brand name PC's vs build your own
> clone machine.
>
> I may lose a bit of refinement but it beats not being able to afford
the
> level of componentry that I desire.

I often forget that Learsports come with the same
Shimano gear that other bikes have. I get scared
when I hear 'department store bike' thinking of
the component spec of K-Mart bikes, eek! :-)

These days I think a lot of people consider frames
to be almost throwaway items so there is less
emphasis on the "buy a good frame and build
upon it" mentality.
I'm more of a middle ground person I think - not
the best frame, not the best components - just
what I can afford that will do a good job as long
as possible.

Now.. ride it like you stole it! :-)

hippy
P.S. I build my own computers up, the price
and component level of brand name PC's
is just silly... ;-)

hippy
October 1st 03, 03:45 AM
"thebow" > wrote in message
> I am kind of equating this to the Brand name PC's vs build your own
> clone machine.
>
> I may lose a bit of refinement but it beats not being able to afford
the
> level of componentry that I desire.

I often forget that Learsports come with the same
Shimano gear that other bikes have. I get scared
when I hear 'department store bike' thinking of
the component spec of K-Mart bikes, eek! :-)

These days I think a lot of people consider frames
to be almost throwaway items so there is less
emphasis on the "buy a good frame and build
upon it" mentality.
I'm more of a middle ground person I think - not
the best frame, not the best components - just
what I can afford that will do a good job as long
as possible.

Now.. ride it like you stole it! :-)

hippy
P.S. I build my own computers up, the price
and component level of brand name PC's
is just silly... ;-)

Tim Jones
October 1st 03, 04:05 AM
"thebow" > wrote in message
> Hippy wrote:
> > [Nice.. now you have the "problem" of picking a bike, fitting it out
> > with tasty bits and pieces and speeding off into the sunset! :-) Check
> > out what's on offer at your nearby LBS's and compare them (and their
> > attitude/deal) with the Learsport stuff. I prefer my LBS for bikes and
> > parts but I have a friendly one ;-)
> > Good Luck, hippy
>

> Thanks..
>
> I have already done the rounds of the LBS and while some of the guys
> have been great it's really hard fro me to justify a $500-$1000 premium
> for shopping there.
>
> I am kind of equating this to the Brand name PC's vs build your own
> clone machine.
>
> The Brand name is going to have more refinement, the nice case and
> better service. The clone on the other hand does the job just as well
> but costs less due to the minimum of overheads.
>
> I may lose a bit of refinement but it beats not being able to afford the
> level of componentry that I desire.

One thing to factor in with the dept store bikes is servicing. AFAIK, most
places will give you one year service on your bike with the purchase from
the LBS, and if they are local, it's the easiest place to get anything done
etc.

Having said that, it's pretty difficult to justify an extra $500-$1000 if
that is the difference for the same componentry but a frame that gives you a
little more confidence and free service.

I agree with Hippy - only really in high end bikes would people look at
building on a particular frame (custom built or carbon etc).

Cheers,

Tim

Tim Jones
October 1st 03, 04:05 AM
"thebow" > wrote in message
> Hippy wrote:
> > [Nice.. now you have the "problem" of picking a bike, fitting it out
> > with tasty bits and pieces and speeding off into the sunset! :-) Check
> > out what's on offer at your nearby LBS's and compare them (and their
> > attitude/deal) with the Learsport stuff. I prefer my LBS for bikes and
> > parts but I have a friendly one ;-)
> > Good Luck, hippy
>

> Thanks..
>
> I have already done the rounds of the LBS and while some of the guys
> have been great it's really hard fro me to justify a $500-$1000 premium
> for shopping there.
>
> I am kind of equating this to the Brand name PC's vs build your own
> clone machine.
>
> The Brand name is going to have more refinement, the nice case and
> better service. The clone on the other hand does the job just as well
> but costs less due to the minimum of overheads.
>
> I may lose a bit of refinement but it beats not being able to afford the
> level of componentry that I desire.

One thing to factor in with the dept store bikes is servicing. AFAIK, most
places will give you one year service on your bike with the purchase from
the LBS, and if they are local, it's the easiest place to get anything done
etc.

Having said that, it's pretty difficult to justify an extra $500-$1000 if
that is the difference for the same componentry but a frame that gives you a
little more confidence and free service.

I agree with Hippy - only really in high end bikes would people look at
building on a particular frame (custom built or carbon etc).

Cheers,

Tim

thebow
October 1st 03, 04:15 AM
Cletus75 wrote:
> Where are you? If in Melbourne, there are a couple of places selling
> 2003-model Avanti Kona's and Giant OCR-1s very cheaply at the moment
> ($1650 and $1485 respectively). Which makes them comparable against
> Learsport (both 105-equipped bikes) and you have an LBS behind them...

Fortunately I live in Sydney :-)

I'm happy to buy anything as long as it's the right spec for the right
price, it really makes no difference for me. It's not as if a LBS is not
going to service your Learsport or other bike if you didn't buy there.

Good prices fro those bike...don't know if I could get anything like
this in Sydney.

thebow
October 1st 03, 04:15 AM

thebow wrote:
> Fortunately I live in Sydney :-)
> I'm happy to buy anything as long as it's the right spec for the right
> price, it really makes no difference for me. It's not as if a LBS is not
> going to service your Learsport or other bike if you didn't buy there.
> Good prices fro those bike...don't know if I could get anything like
> this in Sydney.

Gotta have some perks down here to make up for the cold... it's about 12
degrees today!;)

Cletus75
October 1st 03, 04:15 AM

thebow wrote:
> Thanks..
> I have already done the rounds of the LBS and while some of the guys
> have been great it's really hard fro me to justify a $500-$1000 premium
> for shopping there.
> I am kind of equating this to the Brand name PC's vs build your own
> clone machine.
> The Brand name is going to have more refinement, the nice case and
> better service. The clone on the other hand does the job just as well
> but costs less due to the minimum of overheads.
> I may lose a bit of refinement but it beats not being able to afford the
> level of componentry that I desire.

Where are you? If in Melbourne, there are a couple of places selling
2003-model Avanti Kona's and Giant OCR-1s very cheaply at the moment
($1650 and $1485 respectively). Which makes them comparable against
Learsport (both 105-equipped bikes) and you have an LBS behind them...

Tim Jones
October 1st 03, 05:01 AM
"Cletus75" > wrote in message
<...>

> Gotta have some perks down here to make up for the cold... it's about 12
> degrees today!;)

What're you talking about!

Perfect cycling weather today - overcast, cool and no wind!

Tim

Tim Jones
October 1st 03, 05:01 AM
"Cletus75" > wrote in message
<...>

> Gotta have some perks down here to make up for the cold... it's about 12
> degrees today!;)

What're you talking about!

Perfect cycling weather today - overcast, cool and no wind!

Tim

Jose Rizal
October 1st 03, 05:42 AM
hippy:

> These days I think a lot of people consider frames
> to be almost throwaway items so there is less
> emphasis on the "buy a good frame and build
> upon it" mentality.

Truly a shame, when the components fitted on a frame are the
consumables, not the other way around.

Jose Rizal
October 1st 03, 05:42 AM
hippy:

> These days I think a lot of people consider frames
> to be almost throwaway items so there is less
> emphasis on the "buy a good frame and build
> upon it" mentality.

Truly a shame, when the components fitted on a frame are the
consumables, not the other way around.

hippy
October 1st 03, 06:00 AM
"Tim Jones" > wrote in message
. au...
> What're you talking about!
> Perfect cycling weather today - overcast, cool and no wind!

You like getting soggy?

Having said that.. I rode to work this morning
and the weather was fine.

hippy

hippy
October 1st 03, 06:00 AM
"Tim Jones" > wrote in message
. au...
> What're you talking about!
> Perfect cycling weather today - overcast, cool and no wind!

You like getting soggy?

Having said that.. I rode to work this morning
and the weather was fine.

hippy

Tim Jones
October 1st 03, 06:29 AM
"hippy" > wrote in message
> "Tim Jones" > wrote in message
> . au...
> > What're you talking about!
> > Perfect cycling weather today - overcast, cool and no wind!
>
> You like getting soggy?
>
> Having said that.. I rode to work this morning
> and the weather was fine.

Yeah, well it's wet now ;-)

It was a nice ride after I dropped off my car in Blackburn for a service.

Glad I bought a replacement mud guard today after breaking my other one in a
very embaressing little stack
:-(

Still, I quite like riding in the rain - I just don't like putting on wet
gear at the start of a ride!

Tim

Tim Jones
October 1st 03, 06:29 AM
"hippy" > wrote in message
> "Tim Jones" > wrote in message
> . au...
> > What're you talking about!
> > Perfect cycling weather today - overcast, cool and no wind!
>
> You like getting soggy?
>
> Having said that.. I rode to work this morning
> and the weather was fine.

Yeah, well it's wet now ;-)

It was a nice ride after I dropped off my car in Blackburn for a service.

Glad I bought a replacement mud guard today after breaking my other one in a
very embaressing little stack
:-(

Still, I quite like riding in the rain - I just don't like putting on wet
gear at the start of a ride!

Tim

hippy
October 1st 03, 06:36 AM
"Tim Jones" > wrote in message
. au...
> Yeah, well it's wet now ;-)

Just a little... I think we just lost Geelong :-)

> It was a nice ride after I dropped off my car in Blackburn for a
service.

I just had an easy ride into work, no one else was
out and I was tired so I felt no need to go hard :-)

> Glad I bought a replacement mud guard today after breaking my other
one in a
> very embaressing little stack

What's a mudguard? :-)

Nah, I should get some... I hate the soggy butt feeling
after a couple of minutes in the rain..

> Still, I quite like riding in the rain - I just don't like putting on
wet
> gear at the start of a ride!

I don't like the grinding/filing/scraping noise the road
grit makes when on my rims :-(

hippy

hippy
October 1st 03, 06:36 AM
"Tim Jones" > wrote in message
. au...
> Yeah, well it's wet now ;-)

Just a little... I think we just lost Geelong :-)

> It was a nice ride after I dropped off my car in Blackburn for a
service.

I just had an easy ride into work, no one else was
out and I was tired so I felt no need to go hard :-)

> Glad I bought a replacement mud guard today after breaking my other
one in a
> very embaressing little stack

What's a mudguard? :-)

Nah, I should get some... I hate the soggy butt feeling
after a couple of minutes in the rain..

> Still, I quite like riding in the rain - I just don't like putting on
wet
> gear at the start of a ride!

I don't like the grinding/filing/scraping noise the road
grit makes when on my rims :-(

hippy

Tim Jones
October 1st 03, 07:01 AM
"hippy" > wrote in message
> "Tim Jones" > wrote in message
> . au...
> > Yeah, well it's wet now ;-)
>
> Just a little... I think we just lost Geelong :-)
>
> > It was a nice ride after I dropped off my car in Blackburn for a
> service.
>
> I just had an easy ride into work, no one else was
> out and I was tired so I felt no need to go hard :-)
>
> > Glad I bought a replacement mud guard today after breaking my other
> one in a
> > very embaressing little stack
>
> What's a mudguard? :-)
>
> Nah, I should get some... I hate the soggy butt feeling
> after a couple of minutes in the rain..

Yeah - I got fed up of that years ago. The Rat tails are pretty good - just
attach to your seat post.

> > Still, I quite like riding in the rain - I just don't like putting on
> wet
> > gear at the start of a ride!
>
> I don't like the grinding/filing/scraping noise the road
> grit makes when on my rims :-(
>
> hippy

That's why I ride with headphones on!

Tim Jones
October 1st 03, 07:01 AM
"hippy" > wrote in message
> "Tim Jones" > wrote in message
> . au...
> > Yeah, well it's wet now ;-)
>
> Just a little... I think we just lost Geelong :-)
>
> > It was a nice ride after I dropped off my car in Blackburn for a
> service.
>
> I just had an easy ride into work, no one else was
> out and I was tired so I felt no need to go hard :-)
>
> > Glad I bought a replacement mud guard today after breaking my other
> one in a
> > very embaressing little stack
>
> What's a mudguard? :-)
>
> Nah, I should get some... I hate the soggy butt feeling
> after a couple of minutes in the rain..

Yeah - I got fed up of that years ago. The Rat tails are pretty good - just
attach to your seat post.

> > Still, I quite like riding in the rain - I just don't like putting on
> wet
> > gear at the start of a ride!
>
> I don't like the grinding/filing/scraping noise the road
> grit makes when on my rims :-(
>
> hippy

That's why I ride with headphones on!

hippy
October 1st 03, 01:43 PM
"Tim Jones" > wrote in message
> Yeah - I got fed up of that years ago. The Rat tails are pretty good -
just
> attach to your seat post.

That's what I want - they don't look half as
daggy as the full-size ones :)

> > I don't like the grinding/filing/scraping noise the road
> > grit makes when on my rims :-(
>
> That's why I ride with headphones on!

I like to have early warning of my next rider
chase and time to prepare retorts for any insults
from d&^heads...
I used to use a walkman back in Mildura but
traffic was a little bit less (understatement of
the year) fierce back there. Maybe in Melbourne,
but not in peak hour or bunch rides (which is
90% of what I do).

hippy

hippy
October 1st 03, 01:43 PM
"Tim Jones" > wrote in message
> Yeah - I got fed up of that years ago. The Rat tails are pretty good -
just
> attach to your seat post.

That's what I want - they don't look half as
daggy as the full-size ones :)

> > I don't like the grinding/filing/scraping noise the road
> > grit makes when on my rims :-(
>
> That's why I ride with headphones on!

I like to have early warning of my next rider
chase and time to prepare retorts for any insults
from d&^heads...
I used to use a walkman back in Mildura but
traffic was a little bit less (understatement of
the year) fierce back there. Maybe in Melbourne,
but not in peak hour or bunch rides (which is
90% of what I do).

hippy

Gags
October 2nd 03, 12:28 PM
thebow,

If you want to compare some prices, here is a pretty good list of links to
bikeshops.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/links/shops.html

I usually open up a heap of the ones with online trading and then start
comparing. Make sure you check out their "stocktake" and "specials" links
as there are quite a few 2003 models being cleared to make way for 2004
models.

Good Luck,

Gags

"thebow" > wrote in message
> Cletus75 wrote:
> > Where are you? If in Melbourne, there are a couple of places selling
> > 2003-model Avanti Kona's and Giant OCR-1s very cheaply at the moment
> > ($1650 and $1485 respectively). Which makes them comparable against
> > Learsport (both 105-equipped bikes) and you have an LBS behind them...
>

> Fortunately I live in Sydney :-)
>
> I'm happy to buy anything as long as it's the right spec for the right
> price, it really makes no difference for me. It's not as if a LBS is not
> going to service your Learsport or other bike if you didn't buy there.
>
> Good prices fro those bike...don't know if I could get anything like
> this in Sydney.
>

> --

Fred Nieman
October 3rd 03, 12:05 PM
Tim Jones wrote:

> That's why I ride with headphones on!

So do I (ride with headphones all the time, that is, not ride with headphones
just to stop the krrrrt sound of grit on my rims on rainy days... ya could
always switch to steel rims if that's really a major irk ;-) ... and I'm sure
most of us remember what rainy days + steel rims =, from childhood prangs.)

I hope you don't mean those retro-70s headphones that like block out most
sounds like traffic noise, ambulance sirens, or folks yelling "passing"...
I used to use those lodge-in-your-ear-canal "bud" ear-phones, but many of mine
met an unfortunate "bud-earphone is to front wheel as dandelion is to
whipper-snipper" fate. That was until I discovered the headphones that sit
around the back of your neck. You can put 'em on and off one-handed, they block
out the wind-whistle... and they keep your ears warm on cold days :-)

ps: people keep telling me it's dangerous (maybe) and illegal (not that I can
see). But the statistics on the causes of my gravel rash/broken bones/misc.
treadlie trauma have been:
1) my own (earphone unrelated) stupidity
2) ... daylight! ... (not meaning visibility conditions, just a big gap... but
you got that, anyway, huh?)
3) people in cars' stupidity
4) bad luck (like when the cassette fell out of my walkman under my front wheel
as I was turning a corner)
5) equipment failure (which often related to dodgy home repairs, aka my own
stupidity, again)
6) all other causes (except earphones)

Fred Nieman
October 3rd 03, 12:05 PM
Tim Jones wrote:

> That's why I ride with headphones on!

So do I (ride with headphones all the time, that is, not ride with headphones
just to stop the krrrrt sound of grit on my rims on rainy days... ya could
always switch to steel rims if that's really a major irk ;-) ... and I'm sure
most of us remember what rainy days + steel rims =, from childhood prangs.)

I hope you don't mean those retro-70s headphones that like block out most
sounds like traffic noise, ambulance sirens, or folks yelling "passing"...
I used to use those lodge-in-your-ear-canal "bud" ear-phones, but many of mine
met an unfortunate "bud-earphone is to front wheel as dandelion is to
whipper-snipper" fate. That was until I discovered the headphones that sit
around the back of your neck. You can put 'em on and off one-handed, they block
out the wind-whistle... and they keep your ears warm on cold days :-)

ps: people keep telling me it's dangerous (maybe) and illegal (not that I can
see). But the statistics on the causes of my gravel rash/broken bones/misc.
treadlie trauma have been:
1) my own (earphone unrelated) stupidity
2) ... daylight! ... (not meaning visibility conditions, just a big gap... but
you got that, anyway, huh?)
3) people in cars' stupidity
4) bad luck (like when the cassette fell out of my walkman under my front wheel
as I was turning a corner)
5) equipment failure (which often related to dodgy home repairs, aka my own
stupidity, again)
6) all other causes (except earphones)

Tim Jones
October 3rd 03, 01:06 PM
"Fred Nieman" > wrote in message
> Tim Jones wrote:
>
> > That's why I ride with headphones on!
>
> So do I (ride with headphones all the time, that is, not ride with
headphones
> just to stop the krrrrt sound of grit on my rims on rainy days... ya could
> always switch to steel rims if that's really a major irk ;-) ... and I'm
sure
> most of us remember what rainy days + steel rims =, from childhood
prangs.)

> I hope you don't mean those retro-70s headphones that like block out most
> sounds like traffic noise, ambulance sirens, or folks yelling "passing"...
> I used to use those lodge-in-your-ear-canal "bud" ear-phones, but many of
mine
> met an unfortunate "bud-earphone is to front wheel as dandelion is to
> whipper-snipper" fate. That was until I discovered the headphones that
sit
> around the back of your neck. You can put 'em on and off one-handed, they
block
> out the wind-whistle... and they keep your ears warm on cold days :-)

Yeah - I've had the over the earfold ones. People think that you need to be
able to hear the road 10 times better than you can in a car.

That's not true- you just need to listen 10 times more than the average car
driver does - headphones or no headphones!

> ps: people keep telling me it's dangerous (maybe) and illegal (not that I
can
> see).

I've had the same. You can hear fine with headphones on what's happening
around you.

> But the statistics on the causes of my gravel rash/broken bones/misc.
> treadlie trauma have been:
> 1) my own (earphone unrelated) stupidity
> 2) ... daylight! ... (not meaning visibility conditions, just a big
gap... but
> you got that, anyway, huh?)
> 3) people in cars' stupidity
> 4) bad luck (like when the cassette fell out of my walkman under my front
wheel
> as I was turning a corner)

Hey - that was directly related to your headphones!

> 5) equipment failure (which often related to dodgy home repairs, aka my
own
> stupidity, again)
> 6) all other causes (except earphones)

Tim Jones
October 3rd 03, 01:06 PM
"Fred Nieman" > wrote in message
> Tim Jones wrote:
>
> > That's why I ride with headphones on!
>
> So do I (ride with headphones all the time, that is, not ride with
headphones
> just to stop the krrrrt sound of grit on my rims on rainy days... ya could
> always switch to steel rims if that's really a major irk ;-) ... and I'm
sure
> most of us remember what rainy days + steel rims =, from childhood
prangs.)

> I hope you don't mean those retro-70s headphones that like block out most
> sounds like traffic noise, ambulance sirens, or folks yelling "passing"...
> I used to use those lodge-in-your-ear-canal "bud" ear-phones, but many of
mine
> met an unfortunate "bud-earphone is to front wheel as dandelion is to
> whipper-snipper" fate. That was until I discovered the headphones that
sit
> around the back of your neck. You can put 'em on and off one-handed, they
block
> out the wind-whistle... and they keep your ears warm on cold days :-)

Yeah - I've had the over the earfold ones. People think that you need to be
able to hear the road 10 times better than you can in a car.

That's not true- you just need to listen 10 times more than the average car
driver does - headphones or no headphones!

> ps: people keep telling me it's dangerous (maybe) and illegal (not that I
can
> see).

I've had the same. You can hear fine with headphones on what's happening
around you.

> But the statistics on the causes of my gravel rash/broken bones/misc.
> treadlie trauma have been:
> 1) my own (earphone unrelated) stupidity
> 2) ... daylight! ... (not meaning visibility conditions, just a big
gap... but
> you got that, anyway, huh?)
> 3) people in cars' stupidity
> 4) bad luck (like when the cassette fell out of my walkman under my front
wheel
> as I was turning a corner)

Hey - that was directly related to your headphones!

> 5) equipment failure (which often related to dodgy home repairs, aka my
own
> stupidity, again)
> 6) all other causes (except earphones)

Fred Nieman
October 8th 03, 01:17 PM
Tim Jones wrote:

> "Fred Nieman" > wrote in message

> > Tim Jones wrote:
> >
> > <interesting and insightful stuff, nevertheless snipped>
>
> That's not true- you just need to listen 10 times more than the average car
> driver does - headphones or no headphones!

S'funny, in a zillion years of being a 7 days/week (but yes I do own a
car) cyclist, I've never had a single prob/prang/bone-snapping incident
with a oodg-tch, oodg-tch, oodg-tch, oodg-tch sound system -d car's
driver.
I guess they're probably really sharply on the look-out for, amongst
other things, anything (such as cyclists or parts of cyclists) that
might scratch the paint on their Skyline/Soarer/(ahem) Hot Gemini/or
whatever...

> > ps: people keep telling me it's dangerous (maybe) and illegal (not that I
> can
> > see).
>
> I've had the same. You can hear fine with headphones on what's happening
> around you.

Yep. Agree. I think it's mostly visual awareness and prediction (ie:
understanding of traffic).

> > But the statistics on the causes of my gravel rash/broken bones/misc. ...
<...>
> > 4) bad luck (like when the cassette fell out of my walkman under my front
> wheel
> > as I was turning a corner)
>
> Hey - that was directly related to your headphones!

But I didn't have the walkman on when that happened...

Fred Nieman
October 8th 03, 01:17 PM
Tim Jones wrote:

> "Fred Nieman" > wrote in message

> > Tim Jones wrote:
> >
> > <interesting and insightful stuff, nevertheless snipped>
>
> That's not true- you just need to listen 10 times more than the average car
> driver does - headphones or no headphones!

S'funny, in a zillion years of being a 7 days/week (but yes I do own a
car) cyclist, I've never had a single prob/prang/bone-snapping incident
with a oodg-tch, oodg-tch, oodg-tch, oodg-tch sound system -d car's
driver.
I guess they're probably really sharply on the look-out for, amongst
other things, anything (such as cyclists or parts of cyclists) that
might scratch the paint on their Skyline/Soarer/(ahem) Hot Gemini/or
whatever...

> > ps: people keep telling me it's dangerous (maybe) and illegal (not that I
> can
> > see).
>
> I've had the same. You can hear fine with headphones on what's happening
> around you.

Yep. Agree. I think it's mostly visual awareness and prediction (ie:
understanding of traffic).

> > But the statistics on the causes of my gravel rash/broken bones/misc. ...
<...>
> > 4) bad luck (like when the cassette fell out of my walkman under my front
> wheel
> > as I was turning a corner)
>
> Hey - that was directly related to your headphones!

But I didn't have the walkman on when that happened...

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home