PDA

View Full Version : Bike Tyre Launched Rocks

Gags
October 2nd 03, 12:09 PM
Was riding home today in a bike lane and without aiming for it, I managed to
run over a reasonably sized rock. I'm sure most people have had rocks go
flying at 90 degree or so to the way you are travelling but this one was a
beauty.......went clear across the road and hit a fence still going a
million miles an hour.

I am about 97kg and run my tyres at 110psi and it seems that when I do
launch a rock, it goes at approximately warp factor 9. I have had a couple
hit parked cars, fences, houses, etc.

My concern is I wonder where I stand legally if a rock that is unwillingly
launched causes some damage (eg. paint chip on car, smashed window, etc.)
Or worse still, what if I managed a "one in a million" rock that took out
someone's eye?? I would guess that if a car did this, their compulsory
third party insurance would cover it but obviously that is not the case for
a cyclist.

My thoughts are that the council responsible for the road would be the ones
responsible but I am no legal-O??

Anyone got any ideas??

Gags

Col Jones
October 2nd 03, 02:07 PM
Sounds like it is "time to join BNSW" time and get access to their 3rd
party policy - designed just for situations such as this. You could
try shifting the fault to RTA (or whoever) but hey have bigger pockets
than you.

cheers

Col

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 21:09:24 +1000, "Gags"
> wrote:

>Was riding home today in a bike lane and without aiming for it, I managed to
>run over a reasonably sized rock. I'm sure most people have had rocks go
>flying at 90 degree or so to the way you are travelling but this one was a
>beauty.......went clear across the road and hit a fence still going a
>million miles an hour.
>
>I am about 97kg and run my tyres at 110psi and it seems that when I do
>launch a rock, it goes at approximately warp factor 9. I have had a couple
>hit parked cars, fences, houses, etc.
>
>My concern is I wonder where I stand legally if a rock that is unwillingly
>launched causes some damage (eg. paint chip on car, smashed window, etc.)
>Or worse still, what if I managed a "one in a million" rock that took out
>someone's eye?? I would guess that if a car did this, their compulsory
>third party insurance would cover it but obviously that is not the case for
>a cyclist.
>
>My thoughts are that the council responsible for the road would be the ones
>responsible but I am no legal-O??
>
>Anyone got any ideas??
>
>Gags

Col Jones
October 2nd 03, 02:07 PM
Sounds like it is "time to join BNSW" time and get access to their 3rd
party policy - designed just for situations such as this. You could
try shifting the fault to RTA (or whoever) but hey have bigger pockets
than you.

cheers

Col

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 21:09:24 +1000, "Gags"
> wrote:

>Was riding home today in a bike lane and without aiming for it, I managed to
>run over a reasonably sized rock. I'm sure most people have had rocks go
>flying at 90 degree or so to the way you are travelling but this one was a
>beauty.......went clear across the road and hit a fence still going a
>million miles an hour.
>
>I am about 97kg and run my tyres at 110psi and it seems that when I do
>launch a rock, it goes at approximately warp factor 9. I have had a couple
>hit parked cars, fences, houses, etc.
>
>My concern is I wonder where I stand legally if a rock that is unwillingly
>launched causes some damage (eg. paint chip on car, smashed window, etc.)
>Or worse still, what if I managed a "one in a million" rock that took out
>someone's eye?? I would guess that if a car did this, their compulsory
>third party insurance would cover it but obviously that is not the case for
>a cyclist.
>
>My thoughts are that the council responsible for the road would be the ones
>responsible but I am no legal-O??
>
>Anyone got any ideas??
>
>Gags

hippy
October 2nd 03, 02:38 PM
"Gags" > wrote in message news:ADTeb.154
<snip rock flinging issues>

I've done a few beauties... one hit a car so hard I was sure
he was gonna run me down for it! Damn, must've dented?!

Anyway, in a car when this happens, nothing is even
mentioned. It is just something you deal with, i.e. window
chips, etc. Hitting someone in the eye, you'd probably
be passed them before you even realised and they might
be none the wiser. The damage would probably only
be temporary anyway.
I don't see how it could be anything other than an
accident. You couldn't (well I'm sure a lawyer could)
really even blame council - how often should they sweep
the streets? It only takes a second for a car to drop a
stone from its tyre onto the road.

What if you get hit in the face with a rock flung from a
car?

One I regularly think about is getting smacked by the
output of coucil mowers. When they mow median
strips, I ride pretty close by the output 'shute' and I'm
not sure if they use grass catchers or not?

All this is not something I stress about, just when it
happens I think to myself what Gags just wrote...

stone-chippy hippy

[...]

Deep Freud Moors
October 2nd 03, 02:52 PM
Gags > wrote in message
> Was riding home today in a bike lane and without aiming for it, I managed
> run over a reasonably sized rock. I'm sure most people have had rocks go
> flying at 90 degree or so to the way you are travelling but this one was a
> beauty.......went clear across the road and hit a fence still going a
> million miles an hour.
>
> I am about 97kg and run my tyres at 110psi and it seems that when I do
> launch a rock, it goes at approximately warp factor 9. I have had a
couple
> hit parked cars, fences, houses, etc.
>
> My concern is I wonder where I stand legally if a rock that is unwillingly
> launched causes some damage (eg. paint chip on car, smashed window, etc.)
> Or worse still, what if I managed a "one in a million" rock that took out
> someone's eye?? I would guess that if a car did this, their compulsory
> third party insurance would cover it but obviously that is not the case
for
> a cyclist.
>
> My thoughts are that the council responsible for the road would be the
ones
> responsible but I am no legal-O??

An act of god maybe? Surely they could not pin something like that on you,
unless it was clear that you were actually trying to hit the person with the
rock. You could maybe sue the council, but can they be held accountable just
because there is a small rock on the road?

Perhaps you could post this to aus.legal, and see what they reckon.
---
DFM

Deep Freud Moors
October 2nd 03, 02:52 PM
Gags > wrote in message
> Was riding home today in a bike lane and without aiming for it, I managed
> run over a reasonably sized rock. I'm sure most people have had rocks go
> flying at 90 degree or so to the way you are travelling but this one was a
> beauty.......went clear across the road and hit a fence still going a
> million miles an hour.
>
> I am about 97kg and run my tyres at 110psi and it seems that when I do
> launch a rock, it goes at approximately warp factor 9. I have had a
couple
> hit parked cars, fences, houses, etc.
>
> My concern is I wonder where I stand legally if a rock that is unwillingly
> launched causes some damage (eg. paint chip on car, smashed window, etc.)
> Or worse still, what if I managed a "one in a million" rock that took out
> someone's eye?? I would guess that if a car did this, their compulsory
> third party insurance would cover it but obviously that is not the case
for
> a cyclist.
>
> My thoughts are that the council responsible for the road would be the
ones
> responsible but I am no legal-O??

An act of god maybe? Surely they could not pin something like that on you,
unless it was clear that you were actually trying to hit the person with the
rock. You could maybe sue the council, but can they be held accountable just
because there is a small rock on the road?

Perhaps you could post this to aus.legal, and see what they reckon.
---
DFM

hippy
October 2nd 03, 03:03 PM
"Deep Freud Moors" > wrote in message
> You could maybe sue the council, but can they be held accountable just
> because there is a small rock on the road?
>
> Perhaps you could post this to aus.legal, and see what they reckon.

Oh god no, not another "Car accident" thread!

> You could maybe sue the council, but can they be held accountable just
> because there is a small rock on the road?
>
> Perhaps you could post this to aus.legal, and see what they reckon.

Oh god no, not another "Car accident" thread!

;-) hippy

Spider1977
October 2nd 03, 10:15 PM
Gags,

Ever thought of auditioning for the next Mad Max movie. I'm sure your
trick with rocks and bicycles could fit into at least one scene.

Spider1977
October 2nd 03, 10:15 PM
Gags,

Ever thought of auditioning for the next Mad Max movie. I'm sure your
trick with rocks and bicycles could fit into at least one scene.

October 3rd 03, 01:59 AM
"Gags" > wrote in message

> My thoughts are that the council responsible for the road would be the
ones
> responsible but I am no legal-O??
>
> Anyone got any ideas??

No idea where you would stand legally but I was pleasantly surprised by my
home insurer a couple of weeks ago. It was renewal time and I was asking
about having the treadly insured away from the house and also what sort of
3rd party I could get when riding. The treadly insurance was way too
expensive but Mr Insurance (CGU) informed me I was already covered for 3rd
party under the house and contents public liability component. I was
sceptical at first so I asked the question: "If I am riding down the street
and crash into a BMW, am I covered for the damage to the vehicle?" He
replied "Yes, up to $X million, but not for damage to your bike". I cant
recall how many million he said but it was more than I felt I would ever
need. I'm not sure if it extends to personal injury, however, I don't see
why it wouldn't as I am covered if someone injures themselves on my
property.

It was/is my understanding with compulsory motor vehicle 3rd party (TAC in
Victoria) that all road users are covered for personal injuries that occur
on the road network, including if I run a pedestrian over whilst cycling.
Of course, I am no expert and all this could be complete crap, feel free to
correct my wild unsubstantiated claims.

Cheers

October 3rd 03, 01:59 AM
"Gags" > wrote in message

> My thoughts are that the council responsible for the road would be the
ones
> responsible but I am no legal-O??
>
> Anyone got any ideas??

No idea where you would stand legally but I was pleasantly surprised by my
home insurer a couple of weeks ago. It was renewal time and I was asking
about having the treadly insured away from the house and also what sort of
3rd party I could get when riding. The treadly insurance was way too
expensive but Mr Insurance (CGU) informed me I was already covered for 3rd
party under the house and contents public liability component. I was
sceptical at first so I asked the question: "If I am riding down the street
and crash into a BMW, am I covered for the damage to the vehicle?" He
replied "Yes, up to $X million, but not for damage to your bike". I cant
recall how many million he said but it was more than I felt I would ever
need. I'm not sure if it extends to personal injury, however, I don't see
why it wouldn't as I am covered if someone injures themselves on my
property.

It was/is my understanding with compulsory motor vehicle 3rd party (TAC in
Victoria) that all road users are covered for personal injuries that occur
on the road network, including if I run a pedestrian over whilst cycling.
Of course, I am no expert and all this could be complete crap, feel free to
correct my wild unsubstantiated claims.

Cheers

David Trudgett
October 3rd 03, 03:21 AM
Gags wrote:

> My concern is I wonder where I stand legally if a rock that is unwillingly
> launched causes some damage (eg. paint chip on car, smashed window, etc.)
> Or worse still, what if I managed a "one in a million" rock that took out
> someone's eye?? I would guess that if a car did this, their compulsory
> third party insurance would cover it but obviously that is not the case for
> a cyclist.
>
> My thoughts are that the council responsible for the road would be the ones
> responsible but I am no legal-O??
>
> Anyone got any ideas??

A problem with the legal system (besides the fact that it is based on
violence) is that it always tries to find the party "at fault". Clearly,
in an accident where negligence is not involved, as in this type of
case, there is no one at fault; therefore, it is most clearly in these
situations that it is up to the community to look after those affected
by the accident.

I know it's not the answer you were looking for! ;-)

Cheers, from a 64kg MTB weakling, who also peddles furiously at 60km/h.
Oh for a decent road bike...

Bye for now.

David

--

FORTH IF HONK THEN

David Trudgett
October 3rd 03, 03:21 AM
Gags wrote:

> My concern is I wonder where I stand legally if a rock that is unwillingly
> launched causes some damage (eg. paint chip on car, smashed window, etc.)
> Or worse still, what if I managed a "one in a million" rock that took out
> someone's eye?? I would guess that if a car did this, their compulsory
> third party insurance would cover it but obviously that is not the case for
> a cyclist.
>
> My thoughts are that the council responsible for the road would be the ones
> responsible but I am no legal-O??
>
> Anyone got any ideas??

A problem with the legal system (besides the fact that it is based on
violence) is that it always tries to find the party "at fault". Clearly,
in an accident where negligence is not involved, as in this type of
case, there is no one at fault; therefore, it is most clearly in these
situations that it is up to the community to look after those affected
by the accident.

I know it's not the answer you were looking for! ;-)

Cheers, from a 64kg MTB weakling, who also peddles furiously at 60km/h.
Oh for a decent road bike...

Bye for now.

David

--

FORTH IF HONK THEN

Bob Byrne
October 3rd 03, 03:33 AM
A > wrote:

> It was/is my understanding with compulsory motor vehicle 3rd party (TAC in
> Victoria) that all road users are covered for personal injuries that occur
> on the road network, ........

I don't own a car and therefore don't pay 3rd party but still ride a bicycle.
Where does that leave me?

--
Regards, Bob

Bob Byrne
October 3rd 03, 03:33 AM
A > wrote:

> It was/is my understanding with compulsory motor vehicle 3rd party (TAC in
> Victoria) that all road users are covered for personal injuries that occur
> on the road network, ........

I don't own a car and therefore don't pay 3rd party but still ride a bicycle.
Where does that leave me?

--
Regards, Bob

October 3rd 03, 04:24 AM
"Bob Byrne" > wrote in message
> A > wrote:

> > It was/is my understanding with compulsory motor vehicle 3rd party (TAC
in
> > Victoria) that all road users are covered for personal injuries that
occur
> > on the road network, ........
>
> I don't own a car and therefore don't pay 3rd party but still ride a
bicycle.
> Where does that leave me?
>
> --
> Regards, Bob

I was wrong!
I called TAC for clarification and cover depends on the accident and by the
sounds of it gets complicated.
Bear in mind the TAC only pays for personal injury, not property claims.

A few examples:
1. If I run over a pedestrian whilst cycling, neither of us is covered.
2. If I collide with a parked motor vehicle, I'm not covered. I'm not sure
what happens if a motor vehicle is parked illegally.
3. If I collide with a motor vehicle 'in use' it depends on the situation.
I couldn't get a definitive answer, the impression I got was that if I am
completely at fault I will not be covered. If the motor vehicle is at
fault, I will be covered. I was advised that its not that simple and you
should lodge a claim and see what happens.

The 'in use' qualification is my terminology, not theirs. I have no idea
how they differentiate a parked car from a car 'in use'.

Interestingly, you will be covered in examples 2 and 3 if you are cycling to
or from work regardless of other circumstances.

Again, I am not a legal expert so don't use this information as legal
advice.

Cheers

October 3rd 03, 04:24 AM
"Bob Byrne" > wrote in message
> A > wrote:

> > It was/is my understanding with compulsory motor vehicle 3rd party (TAC
in
> > Victoria) that all road users are covered for personal injuries that
occur
> > on the road network, ........
>
> I don't own a car and therefore don't pay 3rd party but still ride a
bicycle.
> Where does that leave me?
>
> --
> Regards, Bob

I was wrong!
I called TAC for clarification and cover depends on the accident and by the
sounds of it gets complicated.
Bear in mind the TAC only pays for personal injury, not property claims.

A few examples:
1. If I run over a pedestrian whilst cycling, neither of us is covered.
2. If I collide with a parked motor vehicle, I'm not covered. I'm not sure
what happens if a motor vehicle is parked illegally.
3. If I collide with a motor vehicle 'in use' it depends on the situation.
I couldn't get a definitive answer, the impression I got was that if I am
completely at fault I will not be covered. If the motor vehicle is at
fault, I will be covered. I was advised that its not that simple and you
should lodge a claim and see what happens.

The 'in use' qualification is my terminology, not theirs. I have no idea
how they differentiate a parked car from a car 'in use'.

Interestingly, you will be covered in examples 2 and 3 if you are cycling to
or from work regardless of other circumstances.

Again, I am not a legal expert so don't use this information as legal
advice.

Cheers

Tim Jones
October 3rd 03, 06:25 AM
"A" > wrote in message

<...>

> 1. If I run over a pedestrian whilst cycling, neither of us is covered.
> 2. If I collide with a parked motor vehicle, I'm not covered. I'm not
sure
> what happens if a motor vehicle is parked illegally.
> 3. If I collide with a motor vehicle 'in use' it depends on the situation.

<...>

> Interestingly, you will be covered in examples 2 and 3 if you are cycling
> or from work regardless of other circumstances.

That's good!

The riskiest riding I do is when I commute (roads in the rain etc).

<...>

Tim

Tim Jones
October 3rd 03, 06:25 AM
"A" > wrote in message

<...>

> 1. If I run over a pedestrian whilst cycling, neither of us is covered.
> 2. If I collide with a parked motor vehicle, I'm not covered. I'm not
sure
> what happens if a motor vehicle is parked illegally.
> 3. If I collide with a motor vehicle 'in use' it depends on the situation.

<...>

> Interestingly, you will be covered in examples 2 and 3 if you are cycling
> or from work regardless of other circumstances.

That's good!

The riskiest riding I do is when I commute (roads in the rain etc).

<...>

Tim

cfsmtb
October 3rd 03, 06:25 AM
Bob Byrne wrote:
> I don't own a car and therefore don't pay 3rd party but still ride a
> bicycle. Where does that leave me?

Yes, maybe a wise move to some R&D into this issue.

Remember launching a empty Oasis fruit juice bottle across one lane of
Hoddle St several years ago. The facts were, car traffic was too heavy
for me to be on the road, so I was on the footpath*. Too dark to see
mentioned glass bottle, ran straight over it at speed. Bottle popped out
from under the rear wheel, into moving traffic. Luckily it missed any
cars and was duly smashed to a million ittsybittsy bits by a big truck.

More amusing was a "own goal" I scored on the Upfield bikepath on the
steep little hill over Albion St in Brunswick. Being very tired at the
end of a long day, I was sloppy changing shifters, when a tooth from the
middle ring snapped off, flew upwards & grazed my left knuckle through
the bike gloves.

ah, stoopidity+low end components........

(*this was pre-Dec.1 1999)

--
it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

cfsmtb
October 3rd 03, 06:25 AM
Bob Byrne wrote:
> I don't own a car and therefore don't pay 3rd party but still ride a
> bicycle. Where does that leave me?

Yes, maybe a wise move to some R&D into this issue.

Remember launching a empty Oasis fruit juice bottle across one lane of
Hoddle St several years ago. The facts were, car traffic was too heavy
for me to be on the road, so I was on the footpath*. Too dark to see
mentioned glass bottle, ran straight over it at speed. Bottle popped out
from under the rear wheel, into moving traffic. Luckily it missed any
cars and was duly smashed to a million ittsybittsy bits by a big truck.

More amusing was a "own goal" I scored on the Upfield bikepath on the
steep little hill over Albion St in Brunswick. Being very tired at the
end of a long day, I was sloppy changing shifters, when a tooth from the
middle ring snapped off, flew upwards & grazed my left knuckle through
the bike gloves.

ah, stoopidity+low end components........

(*this was pre-Dec.1 1999)

--
it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

hippy
October 3rd 03, 07:09 AM
"cfsmtb" > wrote in message
> glass bottle, ran straight over it at speed. Bottle popped out
> from under the rear wheel, into moving traffic. Luckily it missed any
> cars and was duly smashed to a million ittsybittsy bits by a big
truck.

Sheesh! all this time I've been blaming drunk
bogans for the smashed glass on the roads...
It was cyclists all along!! :-P

> a tooth from the middle ring snapped off, flew upwards & grazed
> my left knuckle through the bike gloves.

That's crazy!

hippy
lost many freewheel teeth, none of the body piercing variety...

hippy
October 3rd 03, 07:09 AM
"cfsmtb" > wrote in message
> glass bottle, ran straight over it at speed. Bottle popped out
> from under the rear wheel, into moving traffic. Luckily it missed any
> cars and was duly smashed to a million ittsybittsy bits by a big
truck.

Sheesh! all this time I've been blaming drunk
bogans for the smashed glass on the roads...
It was cyclists all along!! :-P

> a tooth from the middle ring snapped off, flew upwards & grazed
> my left knuckle through the bike gloves.

That's crazy!

hippy
lost many freewheel teeth, none of the body piercing variety...

Gags
October 3rd 03, 11:33 AM
I agree with what was said about it simply being an accident........good
example was stone chips caused by car coming the other way (very common)...

After actually trying to launch a few on the quiet bits of road on the way
to and from work today, I would say that it could only be an accident as for
the life of me I couldn't actually get any rocks airborne intentionally!!!
I was thinking that if I could work out where to run them over that they
could become a fortunate "accident" when riding past some deserving moron in
a car who has just tried to run me off the road and has then got stuck at
the lights.

Although there would be a ton of factors that would need to come together
for this to happen.......

1. I would have to get cut off (actually fairly likely)
2. Moron would have to get stuck at lights (I love it when this happens)
3. Rock of suitable size/shape would have to be adjacent to and within
the length of the moron's car (this is where I am starting to stretch it a
bit)
4. Would have to run over rock just right to launch it in the right
direction (From my efforts today, this reduces probability to approx zero)
5. Car would preferably be new, shiny, and expensive (odds are
even......morons drive all types of cars)

oh well........you gotta have dreams......

Gags

P.S. I used the word moron as it is a lot less offensive than what I call
these people in reality

[...]

John Doe
October 3rd 03, 02:09 PM
: Sounds like it is "time to join BNSW" time and get access to their 3rd
: party policy - designed just for situations such as this. You could
: try shifting the fault to RTA (or whoever) but hey have bigger pockets
: than you.
:
: cheers
:
: Col
:

Agree

BNSW membership for you or the whole family is pretty cheap. Gives you 3rd
party property and 3rd party injury.

Pete

John Doe
October 3rd 03, 02:09 PM
: Sounds like it is "time to join BNSW" time and get access to their 3rd
: party policy - designed just for situations such as this. You could
: try shifting the fault to RTA (or whoever) but hey have bigger pockets
: than you.
:
: cheers
:
: Col
:

Agree

BNSW membership for you or the whole family is pretty cheap. Gives you 3rd
party property and 3rd party injury.

Pete

Col Jones
October 3rd 03, 03:28 PM
Bicycle NSW membership includes 3rd party insurance.

Check out membership here
http://www.bicyclensw.org.au/modules.php?name=Membership

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 21:09:24 +1000, "Gags"
> wrote:

>Was riding home today in a bike lane and without aiming for it, I managed to
>run over a reasonably sized rock. I'm sure most people have had rocks go
>flying at 90 degree or so to the way you are travelling but this one was a
>beauty.......went clear across the road and hit a fence still going a
>million miles an hour.
>
>I am about 97kg and run my tyres at 110psi and it seems that when I do
>launch a rock, it goes at approximately warp factor 9. I have had a couple
>hit parked cars, fences, houses, etc.
>
>My concern is I wonder where I stand legally if a rock that is unwillingly
>launched causes some damage (eg. paint chip on car, smashed window, etc.)
>Or worse still, what if I managed a "one in a million" rock that took out
>someone's eye?? I would guess that if a car did this, their compulsory
>third party insurance would cover it but obviously that is not the case for
>a cyclist.
>
>My thoughts are that the council responsible for the road would be the ones
>responsible but I am no legal-O??
>
>Anyone got any ideas??
>
>Gags

Col Jones
October 3rd 03, 03:28 PM
Bicycle NSW membership includes 3rd party insurance.

Check out membership here
http://www.bicyclensw.org.au/modules.php?name=Membership

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 21:09:24 +1000, "Gags"
> wrote:

>Was riding home today in a bike lane and without aiming for it, I managed to
>run over a reasonably sized rock. I'm sure most people have had rocks go
>flying at 90 degree or so to the way you are travelling but this one was a
>beauty.......went clear across the road and hit a fence still going a
>million miles an hour.
>
>I am about 97kg and run my tyres at 110psi and it seems that when I do
>launch a rock, it goes at approximately warp factor 9. I have had a couple
>hit parked cars, fences, houses, etc.
>
>My concern is I wonder where I stand legally if a rock that is unwillingly
>launched causes some damage (eg. paint chip on car, smashed window, etc.)
>Or worse still, what if I managed a "one in a million" rock that took out
>someone's eye?? I would guess that if a car did this, their compulsory
>third party insurance would cover it but obviously that is not the case for
>a cyclist.
>
>My thoughts are that the council responsible for the road would be the ones
>responsible but I am no legal-O??
>
>Anyone got any ideas??
>
>Gags

Cody
October 4th 03, 04:24 AM
"Gags" > wrote in message

> My concern is I wonder where I stand legally if a rock that is unwillingly
> launched causes some damage (eg. paint chip on car, smashed window, etc.)
> Or worse still, what if I managed a "one in a million" rock that took out
> someone's eye?? I would guess that if a car did this, their compulsory

Has anybody ever managed to claim for a broken windscreen caused by a rock
thrown up by a passing car? Never heard of it happening. Probably best to do
what the insurance companies used to insist their clients do and that is not
admit liability or responsibility.

Having said that a bloke I used to work with at one time drove a mower for
the council and the council would pay for any damage caused by stones thrown
up by the mower.

Cody
October 4th 03, 04:24 AM

"Gags" > wrote in message

> My concern is I wonder where I stand legally if a rock that is unwillingly
> launched causes some damage (eg. paint chip on car, smashed window, etc.)
> Or worse still, what if I managed a "one in a million" rock that took out
> someone's eye?? I would guess that if a car did this, their compulsory

Has anybody ever managed to claim for a broken windscreen caused by a rock
thrown up by a passing car? Never heard of it happening. Probably best to do
what the insurance companies used to insist their clients do and that is not
admit liability or responsibility.

Having said that a bloke I used to work with at one time drove a mower for
the council and the council would pay for any damage caused by stones thrown
up by the mower.

Cody
October 4th 03, 11:56 PM
"John Doe" > wrote in message

> BNSW membership for you or the whole family is pretty cheap. Gives you
3rd
> party property and 3rd party injury.

BUT the last time I read the policy it didn't cover the first $1000 which is
a pretty large sum for some people. Mind you it is better than no cover at
all.

Cody
October 4th 03, 11:56 PM

"John Doe" > wrote in message

> BNSW membership for you or the whole family is pretty cheap. Gives you
3rd
> party property and 3rd party injury.

BUT the last time I read the policy it didn't cover the first $1000 which is
a pretty large sum for some people. Mind you it is better than no cover at
all.

Arpit
October 8th 03, 12:19 PM
On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 23:52:04 +1000, "Deep Freud Moors"
> wrote:

>Gags > wrote in message
>> Was riding home today in a bike lane and without aiming for it, I managed
>> run over a reasonably sized rock. I'm sure most people have had rocks go
>> flying at 90 degree or so to the way you are travelling but this one was a
>> beauty.......went clear across the road and hit a fence still going a
>> million miles an hour.
>>
>> I am about 97kg and run my tyres at 110psi and it seems that when I do
>> launch a rock, it goes at approximately warp factor 9. I have had a
>couple
>> hit parked cars, fences, houses, etc.
>>
>> My concern is I wonder where I stand legally if a rock that is unwillingly
>> launched causes some damage (eg. paint chip on car, smashed window, etc.)
>> Or worse still, what if I managed a "one in a million" rock that took out
>> someone's eye?? I would guess that if a car did this, their compulsory
>> third party insurance would cover it but obviously that is not the case
>for
>> a cyclist.
>>
>> My thoughts are that the council responsible for the road would be the
>ones
>> responsible but I am no legal-O??
>>

>An act of god maybe? Surely they could not pin something like that on you,
>unless it was clear that you were actually trying to hit the person with the
>rock. You could maybe sue the council, but can they be held accountable just
>because there is a small rock on the road?
>
>Perhaps you could post this to aus.legal, and see what they reckon.
>---
hahahahahhaha hahahahahhaha hahahahahhaha hahahahahhaha hahahahahhaha
hahahahahhaha hahahahahhaha :P aus.legal hahahahahhaha hahahahahhaha
hahahahahhaha :)

lurk there for a while , you'll see what i mean ;)
>DFM

Arpit
October 8th 03, 12:19 PM
On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 23:52:04 +1000, "Deep Freud Moors"
> wrote:

>Gags > wrote in message
>> Was riding home today in a bike lane and without aiming for it, I managed
>> run over a reasonably sized rock. I'm sure most people have had rocks go
>> flying at 90 degree or so to the way you are travelling but this one was a
>> beauty.......went clear across the road and hit a fence still going a
>> million miles an hour.
>>
>> I am about 97kg and run my tyres at 110psi and it seems that when I do
>> launch a rock, it goes at approximately warp factor 9. I have had a
>couple
>> hit parked cars, fences, houses, etc.
>>
>> My concern is I wonder where I stand legally if a rock that is unwillingly
>> launched causes some damage (eg. paint chip on car, smashed window, etc.)
>> Or worse still, what if I managed a "one in a million" rock that took out
>> someone's eye?? I would guess that if a car did this, their compulsory
>> third party insurance would cover it but obviously that is not the case
>for
>> a cyclist.
>>
>> My thoughts are that the council responsible for the road would be the
>ones
>> responsible but I am no legal-O??
>>

>An act of god maybe? Surely they could not pin something like that on you,
>unless it was clear that you were actually trying to hit the person with the
>rock. You could maybe sue the council, but can they be held accountable just
>because there is a small rock on the road?
>
>Perhaps you could post this to aus.legal, and see what they reckon.
>---
hahahahahhaha hahahahahhaha hahahahahhaha hahahahahhaha hahahahahhaha
hahahahahhaha hahahahahhaha :P aus.legal hahahahahhaha hahahahahhaha
hahahahahhaha :)

lurk there for a while , you'll see what i mean ;)
>DFM

cfsmtb
October 9th 03, 09:31 AM
Kind of unrelated, but the Yarra City Council apparentely had to shell
out major $$$ several times a year to cover claims from miffed lemmings
getting their windshields dinged from flying balls from the Burnley Golf
course.:rolleyes:

--
it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

cfsmtb
October 9th 03, 09:31 AM
Kind of unrelated, but the Yarra City Council apparentely had to shell
out major $$$ several times a year to cover claims from miffed lemmings
getting their windshields dinged from flying balls from the Burnley Golf
course.:rolleyes:

--
it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

it's all a creeping beige conspiracy