PDA

View Full Version : Lumileds

Gags
October 3rd 03, 02:07 PM
In one of my earlier posts on homemade bike lights, someone mentioned
something about running a 1W lumiled.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me where these can be bought and how much
they cost??

I am also interested in the 5W lumileds that i have heard you can
get......anyone seen em??

Thanks,

Gags

John Henderson
October 3rd 03, 08:43 PM
"Gags" wrote:

> In one of my earlier posts on homemade bike lights, someone
> mentioned something about running a 1W lumiled.
>
> I was wondering if anyone can tell me where these can be bought
> and how much they cost??
>
> I am also interested in the 5W lumileds that i have heard you
> can get......anyone seen em??

I'm not sure if these are exactly what you're looking for, but
they're worth knowing about anyway:

http://shops.bizarsoftware.com.au/ATAShop/catalogue/category16/category41

John

John Henderson
October 3rd 03, 08:43 PM
"Gags" wrote:

> In one of my earlier posts on homemade bike lights, someone
> mentioned something about running a 1W lumiled.
>
> I was wondering if anyone can tell me where these can be bought
> and how much they cost??
>
> I am also interested in the 5W lumileds that i have heard you
> can get......anyone seen em??

I'm not sure if these are exactly what you're looking for, but
they're worth knowing about anyway:

http://shops.bizarsoftware.com.au/ATAShop/catalogue/category16/category41

John

John Tserkezis
October 4th 03, 11:37 AM
Gags wrote:

> In one of my earlier posts on homemade bike lights, someone mentioned
> something about running a 1W lumiled.

> I was wondering if anyone can tell me where these can be bought and how much
> they cost??

> I am also interested in the 5W lumileds that i have heard you can
> get......anyone seen em??

I wouldn't bother, They are just as efficient as halogens, the 5 watt version
has a shorter life than most halogens, as far as dollars per watt goes they
cost 8 times as much, you need special mounting hardware (with heatsink) for
the 5 watt version, and given the choice, trashing a $15 halogen is preferred
compared to losing $60 for a lumiled.

I've looked at them some time back, and for the purpose of bike lighting, all
things considered, they don't cut it for me.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org>

John Tserkezis
October 4th 03, 11:37 AM

Gags wrote:

> In one of my earlier posts on homemade bike lights, someone mentioned
> something about running a 1W lumiled.

> I was wondering if anyone can tell me where these can be bought and how much
> they cost??

> I am also interested in the 5W lumileds that i have heard you can
> get......anyone seen em??

I wouldn't bother, They are just as efficient as halogens, the 5 watt version
has a shorter life than most halogens, as far as dollars per watt goes they
cost 8 times as much, you need special mounting hardware (with heatsink) for
the 5 watt version, and given the choice, trashing a $15 halogen is preferred
compared to losing $60 for a lumiled.

I've looked at them some time back, and for the purpose of bike lighting, all
things considered, they don't cut it for me.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org>

Deep Freud Moors
October 5th 03, 02:26 AM
John Tserkezis > wrote in message
> Gags wrote:
>
> > In one of my earlier posts on homemade bike lights, someone mentioned
> > something about running a 1W lumiled.
>
> > I was wondering if anyone can tell me where these can be bought and how
much
> > they cost??
>

> > I am also interested in the 5W lumileds that i have heard you can
> > get......anyone seen em??
>
> I wouldn't bother, They are just as efficient as halogens, the 5 watt
version
> has a shorter life than most halogens, as far as dollars per watt goes
they
> cost 8 times as much, you need special mounting hardware (with heatsink)
for
> the 5 watt version, and given the choice, trashing a $15 halogen is
preferred
> compared to losing $60 for a lumiled.

Given that you need a heatsink, wouldn't this mean they are less efficient,
as some of the energy is transferred into heat?
---
DFM

Deep Freud Moors
October 5th 03, 02:26 AM
John Tserkezis > wrote in message
> Gags wrote:
>
> > In one of my earlier posts on homemade bike lights, someone mentioned
> > something about running a 1W lumiled.
>
> > I was wondering if anyone can tell me where these can be bought and how
much
> > they cost??
>

> > I am also interested in the 5W lumileds that i have heard you can
> > get......anyone seen em??
>
> I wouldn't bother, They are just as efficient as halogens, the 5 watt
version
> has a shorter life than most halogens, as far as dollars per watt goes
they
> cost 8 times as much, you need special mounting hardware (with heatsink)
for
> the 5 watt version, and given the choice, trashing a $15 halogen is
preferred
> compared to losing $60 for a lumiled.

Given that you need a heatsink, wouldn't this mean they are less efficient,
as some of the energy is transferred into heat?
---
DFM

Deep Freud Moors
October 5th 03, 02:26 AM
John Tserkezis > wrote in message
> Gags wrote:
>
> > In one of my earlier posts on homemade bike lights, someone mentioned
> > something about running a 1W lumiled.
>
> > I was wondering if anyone can tell me where these can be bought and how
much
> > they cost??
>

> > I am also interested in the 5W lumileds that i have heard you can
> > get......anyone seen em??
>
> I wouldn't bother, They are just as efficient as halogens, the 5 watt
version
> has a shorter life than most halogens, as far as dollars per watt goes
they
> cost 8 times as much, you need special mounting hardware (with heatsink)
for
> the 5 watt version, and given the choice, trashing a $15 halogen is
preferred
> compared to losing $60 for a lumiled.

Given that you need a heatsink, wouldn't this mean they are less efficient,
as some of the energy is transferred into heat?
---
DFM

Ray
October 5th 03, 11:10 AM
In article >,
says...
> Given that you need a heatsink, wouldn't this mean they are less efficient,
> as some of the energy is transferred into heat?

Last time I checked a halogen bulb was stinking hot also....

Ray
October 5th 03, 11:10 AM
In article >,
says...
> Given that you need a heatsink, wouldn't this mean they are less efficient,
> as some of the energy is transferred into heat?

Last time I checked a halogen bulb was stinking hot also....

Ray
October 5th 03, 11:10 AM
In article >,
says...
> Given that you need a heatsink, wouldn't this mean they are less efficient,
> as some of the energy is transferred into heat?

Last time I checked a halogen bulb was stinking hot also....

John Tserkezis
October 5th 03, 11:55 AM
Deep Freud Moors wrote:

> Given that you need a heatsink, wouldn't this mean they are less efficient,
> as some of the energy is transferred into heat?

They are about as efficient as halogens, so both would dissipate about the
same amount of heat. (about)

Halogens NEED the heat to redeposit the filament particals. Semiconductors
don't like heat much, so the heatsink takes care of that.

--

Deep Freud Moors wrote:

> Given that you need a heatsink, wouldn't this mean they are less efficient,
> as some of the energy is transferred into heat?

They are about as efficient as halogens, so both would dissipate about the
same amount of heat. (about)

Halogens NEED the heat to redeposit the filament particals. Semiconductors
don't like heat much, so the heatsink takes care of that.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org>

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home