PDA

View Full Version : BV's "Self regulated code of conduct"

Jorgen
October 7th 03, 03:35 AM
http://www.bv.com.au/download/COC.pdf

Is this guide written by car drivers or bicyclists? I suspect the former.
The picture under "rule" number 10 shows a clear non-understanding of the
tendency certain people have to slam their doors open. BV's implicit
recommendation [by hosting the guide on their web site] to ride _within_
that door-slamming distance is _dangerous_.

I have personally come very close to being taken out on several occasions,
have witnessed the guy behind me not quite making it [sprawled on the
bitumen, bleeding, front wheel a perfect figure eight]. And consequently, I
now refuse to go within one metre of parked cars, seeing as that I can't
visually check every single car ahead at the same time as keeping an eye on
my mirror to see if those guys behind aren't going to hit me out of general
boredom.

Shame on BV for recommending that you risk your personal safety just so that
cars can get past a little bit easier.

Posted to aus.bicycle and bicyclevic at bv dot com dot au .

Tim Jones
October 7th 03, 04:21 AM
"Jorgen" > wrote in message
> http://www.bv.com.au/download/COC.pdf
>
> Is this guide written by car drivers or bicyclists? I suspect the former.
> The picture under "rule" number 10 shows a clear non-understanding of the
> tendency certain people have to slam their doors open. BV's implicit
> recommendation [by hosting the guide on their web site] to ride _within_
> that door-slamming distance is _dangerous_.
>
> I have personally come very close to being taken out on several occasions,
> have witnessed the guy behind me not quite making it [sprawled on the
> bitumen, bleeding, front wheel a perfect figure eight]. And consequently,
> now refuse to go within one metre of parked cars, seeing as that I can't
> visually check every single car ahead at the same time as keeping an eye
on
> my mirror to see if those guys behind aren't going to hit me out of
general
> boredom.
>
> Shame on BV for recommending that you risk your personal safety just so
that
> cars can get past a little bit easier.
>
> Posted to aus.bicycle and bicyclevic at bv dot com dot au .

This is the item:
10. Cyclists are permitted to ride two abreast however, in some
circumstances it is safer to ride single file. At times, it may be
preferable to use more of the lane to deter traffic from squeezing past.
Give clear signals of your intentions.

The picture shows a person swinging out into the road to avoid a car - what
they are suggesting is not to ride as close as possible to parked cars, but
to be predictable in your riding.

As it says above, you may use more of the lane if required - it's up to you.
They are just asking you not to swing around on the road, as
unpredictability for drivers behind you can lead to accidents.

I can't see any great problem with this.

Tim

Tim Jones
October 7th 03, 04:21 AM
"Jorgen" > wrote in message
> http://www.bv.com.au/download/COC.pdf
>
> Is this guide written by car drivers or bicyclists? I suspect the former.
> The picture under "rule" number 10 shows a clear non-understanding of the
> tendency certain people have to slam their doors open. BV's implicit
> recommendation [by hosting the guide on their web site] to ride _within_
> that door-slamming distance is _dangerous_.
>
> I have personally come very close to being taken out on several occasions,
> have witnessed the guy behind me not quite making it [sprawled on the
> bitumen, bleeding, front wheel a perfect figure eight]. And consequently,
> now refuse to go within one metre of parked cars, seeing as that I can't
> visually check every single car ahead at the same time as keeping an eye
on
> my mirror to see if those guys behind aren't going to hit me out of
general
> boredom.
>
> Shame on BV for recommending that you risk your personal safety just so
that
> cars can get past a little bit easier.
>
> Posted to aus.bicycle and bicyclevic at bv dot com dot au .

This is the item:
10. Cyclists are permitted to ride two abreast however, in some
circumstances it is safer to ride single file. At times, it may be
preferable to use more of the lane to deter traffic from squeezing past.
Give clear signals of your intentions.

The picture shows a person swinging out into the road to avoid a car - what
they are suggesting is not to ride as close as possible to parked cars, but
to be predictable in your riding.

As it says above, you may use more of the lane if required - it's up to you.
They are just asking you not to swing around on the road, as
unpredictability for drivers behind you can lead to accidents.

I can't see any great problem with this.

Tim

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home