Mt. Evans - 14,264 ft

Date: 8-4-2004
Riders: George Barnes (solo - unicycle ascent/descent)
Route: Mt. Evans Road II, Class 1
RT distance: 29.2 miles
RT time: 6 hours
Time to summit: 3 hours 30 minutes
Time on summit: 20 minutes
Time to trailhead: 2 hours 10 minutes
Elevation gain: 3,700 feet
Coordinates of TH: 39° 39.61'N, 105° 36.27'W
Coordinates of summit: 39° 35.32'N, 105° 38.60'W
USGS Quadrangles: Idaho Springs, Harris Park, Mount Evans

*Trip Report:*

Pre-ride:

The night before the ride I was thinking that I needed to do
something that would prepare me for a climb of Long's Peak the coming
weekend, as well as an epic 36" unicycle ride with Aspen Mike next week
over Boreas and Hoosier Passes. I decided that a unicycle ride up Mt.
Evans would do both - if it didn't kill me.

Ride:

I left Denver at 7 AM, a little later than planned, but still not
bad. After fighting morning traffic and stopping for gas in Idaho
Springs I make it to the Echo Lake trailhead (10,600 feet) by 8:20 AM.
I unload my unicycle, slap on some sunscreen, and head for the fee
station. I received the usual suspicious looks from the ranger as I
paid my $3 fee and head up the road just before 8:30 AM.

The road was largely free of traffic at this hour - apparently
vacationers don't like to get out of bed early. I made decent time up
the road, averaging around 9 mph. I have Chris LeDoux "Sons of the
Pioneers" stuck in my head, and will for most of the ride. Perhaps it's
time for some new CDs in the car's CD-changer. When I reached the road
above Lincoln Lake I stop for a breather and snap a few photos. I'm at
over 12,000 feet now and I can tell it. Unicycling over 12,000 feet is
harder than hiking at 14,000!

I soon decided sitting on the roadside was a bad idea as 3 different
people stopped and asked if I was ok. I'm riding a unicycle up a 14,000
foot mountain, of course I'm OK (just a little crazy).

After a few more switchbacks and a lot of sucking wind, I reach
Summit Lake (12,830 feet) at around 10:30 AM. I head down to the water
to enjoy a now powdered pop-tart (grumble) and snap some more pictures.
I answer the usual questions as I make my way to the kybos. "Yes, it's
a unicycle." "Yes, I'm going all the way." "Yes, I'm crazy." "No, I'm
not riding across the country (huh?!)."

The going gets tough after Summit Lake, and I'm wheezing like a
leaky dirigible by 13,000 feet. Thankfully some goats have occupied the
side of the road and I have a legitimate excuse to stop. Upon closer
inspection, I note that there are about 20 goats, some with ridiculously
cute babies.

I reach the summit parking lot at around noon, and hike to the top
for a summit photo. I've averaged a little over 4 mph including some
lengthy stops, and I'm not terribly proud of it. I feel out of place
with a helmet and gloves in the parking lot teeming with tourists in
sandals and "Colorado" sweatshirts. There's something to be said for
climbing peaks where at most you see a few other people at the summit.
I decide it's time to gear up and head down. Clouds are occasionally
blocking the sun and the wind has picked up so I don a rain jacket.

I've become something of a celebrity by now, and every car that
passes slows to take my picture. A few people are nice enough to take
my email address so they can send me the pictures. I once again reach
the goats, who have moved to a slightly different location. I'm still a
sucker for baby goats, so I snap some more pictures.

After rounding the last corner before Lincoln Lake I stop again for
a "circulation break" and note that the clouds aren't looking stellar to
the west. I forgot my Chamois Butter in Denver and I'm paying for it
now. Spurred on by dark clouds I saddle up once again despite the
discomfort.

I decide I had better get some pictures of Lincoln Lake for the TR,
so I stop again while keeping a wary eye on the clouds. I get back in
the saddle anxious to reach tree line at ~11,500 feet.

After a few more quick stops I once again reach the ranger's fee
station. I ponder "natural selection" as I see people still heading up
on bikes. I reach the car by 2:30 PM and it begins to sprinkle just as
I load my unicycle. I feel a bit tired, but in general pretty good. I
realize that I forgot to apply sunscreen to my legs, and have some nice
red calves to show for it. After an uneventful run down I-70 I make it
back to Denver just in time for "stop and go fun time on I-25". The
clouds over Denver are looking threatening and I see a handful of
lightning strikes to the west.

[image:
http://www.gb4mfg.com/mtn/trip_reports/Evans_8-4-04/2004_0804_121021.jpg]

--
gbarnes - www.gb4mfg.com

George C. Barnes IV
GB4 Manufacturing, L.L.C.
http://www.gb4mfg.com/
gbarnes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/174

TonyMelton
August 5th 04, 01:57 AM
Nice ride report, George! Another 14er bits the dust!

Ooooh yes those baby goats (kids?) are very cute! Right up there with
the pika.

What's the idea with the bar-ends on the rear of your saddle? Are they
there to hold on to or to protect the cover?

+0|\|y

--
TonyMelton - www.unicycle.co.nz

See some photos of the first 'NZ MUni Weekend'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/NZ-MUni-Weekend-2004)
TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

TonyMelton
August 5th 04, 01:57 AM
Nice ride report, George! Another 14er bits the dust!

Ooooh yes those baby goats (kids?) are very cute! Right up there with
the pika.

What's the idea with the bar-ends on the rear of your saddle? Are they
there to hold on to or to protect the cover?

+0|\|y

--
TonyMelton - www.unicycle.co.nz

See some photos of the first 'NZ MUni Weekend'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/NZ-MUni-Weekend-2004)
TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

gbarnes
August 5th 04, 03:59 AM
The bar ends are a semi-successful way for me to take some weight off my
seat on the go. They work fine on flat ground, but it's a little dicey
to have a hand back there on steep ups and downs.

--
gbarnes - www.gb4mfg.com

George C. Barnes IV
GB4 Manufacturing, L.L.C.
http://www.gb4mfg.com/
gbarnes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/174

mgrant
August 5th 04, 04:04 AM
It is unclear to me if the ride was entirely paved or if there was an
off-road portion.

-mg

--
mgrant - Ever hoping for the best!

The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of
breath, and one day closer to death.
michael_j_grant (at) yahoo (dot) com
Gallery: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/Michael_Grant/
mgrant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/440

gbarnes
August 5th 04, 04:10 AM
The road was all paved with pretty good asphalt, except for the short
hike to the summit from the summit parking lot.

--
gbarnes - www.gb4mfg.com

George C. Barnes IV
GB4 Manufacturing, L.L.C.
http://www.gb4mfg.com/
gbarnes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/174

john_childs
August 5th 04, 04:42 AM
It looks like you put some long cranks on for that climb. Are they
170's or bigger?

Any idea on the percent grade for the climb?

I'm going to look around for some nice climbs to do on the Coker. Maybe
Mount Constitution on Orcas Island or Hurricane Ridge, or I could head
out of state to find a good climb. Teton pass in Wyoming would be nice,
but it's a long drive to get there.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

gbarnes
August 5th 04, 04:46 AM
If my math is right, I get an average grade of about 5%.

3700/(14.6*5280) x 100% = 4.8% grade

Anybody want to verify that this is correct?

--
gbarnes - www.gb4mfg.com

George C. Barnes IV
GB4 Manufacturing, L.L.C.
http://www.gb4mfg.com/
gbarnes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/174

john_childs
August 5th 04, 05:34 AM
gbarnes wrote:
> *If my math is right, I get an average grade of about 5%.
>
> 3700/(14.6*5280) x 100% = 4.8% grade
>
> Anybody want to verify that this is correct? *

That's correct for the average grade. But climbs usually don't keep the
same grade for 14.6 miles. There will be sections that are less steep
and then sections that are more steep. The hard parts of the climb
likely were more than 4.8%.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

gbarnes
August 5th 04, 05:53 AM
john_childs wrote:
> *
> The hard parts of the climb likely were more than 4.8%. *

That's no kidding. I was wishing for more than the 170s I had. I was
thinking that a 29er with 150-170s would have been nice for the last 5
miles.

From what I could find on the net, parts of the road are up to 15%
sustained grade. I would say that most of the climbs are 10% or less,
though.

--
gbarnes - www.gb4mfg.com

George C. Barnes IV
GB4 Manufacturing, L.L.C.
http://www.gb4mfg.com/
gbarnes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/174

siafirede
August 6th 04, 06:54 AM
Why did you choose to use your Coker for this ride? I too would assume
that a 29er would have been more ideal for a long ascent, however you
have much more riding experience than I do. I am becoming more and more
interested in buying a coker to see the difference in long distance
rides between the coker and my current 29er.

one more question:
How much did the brake help you on your descent? I recently rode up and
down a steep mountain road in the poccono mountains in PA for about 16
miles and descending became almost as hard as some of the ascents ( I
dont have brakes on my 29er).

--
siafirede - unicycleXcore
siafirede's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6057

tomblackwood
August 6th 04, 08:20 AM
siafirede wrote:
> *Why did you choose to use your Coker for this ride? I recently rode
> up and down a steep mountain road in the poccono mountains in PA for
> about 16 miles and descending became almost as hard as some of the
> ascents ( I dont have brakes on my 29er). *

I realize you're asking George, but I'll butt in because it's my nature
and I've had way too much coffee today. Why the Coker? I hope it's
because we sit on the edge of a new possibility...taking cokers where no
unicycles have dared travel. The fringe of the possibility must be
explored. All the recent 24-hour races, 14,000 foot passes, etc.
indicate we're in a rare period in the evolution of a sport.

"Descending became almost as hard?" I'd expect--at least the day
after--that it became much harder. For the knee, in general, it's
easier to exert positive force than to exert resistant force. For me,
with my pitiful scarred oft-injured knees, the slightest downhill gives
me trouble, but climbs seem primarily limited by my technique (or lack
thereof). I just bought some 140s for my coker to supplement my 150s,
but after reading Iron(sorry Aspen)Mike's posts, I may get some 170s
too.

Pennsylvania? You are in fact in a position to do what's never been
done before. To conquer a new possibility. To mix myth with reality,
and add both and your name to the journal of Epic Coker Rides. The myth?
Harry Chapin's "30,000 Pounds of Bananas". The reality? The hill
that leads into Scranton, Pennsylvania. JJuggle, you with me here? The
Epic Coker Ride? Make the descent...and don't cop out by bailing into
the "runaway truck lane". Next to the I-80 drop from Park City to Salt
Lake, it's one of the biggest descents on any Interstate Highway in
America. I've done it several times on two wheels and four, but never
on one. Be the first Siafired...

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

gbarnes
August 6th 04, 07:00 PM
siafirede wrote:
> *Why did you choose to use your Coker for this ride? I too would
> assume that a 29er would have been more ideal for a long ascent,
> however you have much more riding experience than I do. I am becoming
> more and more interested in buying a coker to see the difference in
> long distance rides between the coker and my current 29er.
>
> one more question:
> How much did the brake help you on your descent? I recently rode up
> and down a steep mountain road in the poccono mountains in PA for
> about 16 miles and descending became almost as hard as some of the
> ascents ( I dont have brakes on my 29er). *

I chose my 36" mainly because I was pretty confident that all of the
road would be rideable on it, and 29 miles seemed like a long ways on a
29er. I was only regretting my big wheel for the last few miles of the
ascent when the air got thin.

The descent was pretty much a breeze thanks to heavy use of my HS-33 as
a drag brake. I basically engaged the brake enough that it felt like I
was riding on flat ground.

--
gbarnes - www.gb4mfg.com

George C. Barnes IV
GB4 Manufacturing, L.L.C.
http://www.gb4mfg.com/
gbarnes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/174

AlbertKarel
August 7th 04, 12:21 AM
Great climb, George.
Enjoyed the description immensely.
My brother in Denver (2 wheels) will be amazed.
Of course, he will now insist that I do it. Maybe
old age will get me off the hook.

The pictures show slightly more gear on the "Coker"
than shown on your album. Could you please list the
goodies on the bike for those of us who ride denuded
Cokers!

Thanks again.

AL
Santa Monica

gbarnes
August 7th 04, 12:30 AM
Not much on my 36" says Coker on it - just the tire and tube!

Here's a current picture and list of the components on my 36":
http://www.gb4mfg.com/36touring.html

--
gbarnes - www.gb4mfg.com

George C. Barnes IV
GB4 Manufacturing, L.L.C.
http://www.gb4mfg.com/
gbarnes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/174

aspenmike
August 10th 04, 02:58 PM
There's no other ride like Mt. Evans, well maybe Washington for the
grade but not elevation. It is totally EPIC, the road is paved to
14,000', the highest piece of pavement in North America. The whole ride
from Idaho Springs gains over 7,000' vertical feet in 28 miles. Like
George, when I rode it in 02', first unicyclist up Evans, I started at
Echo Lake. The last 1,000' vertical feet gained is all switchbacks
above 13,000'. The best route book I've found describes it as "This is a
heinous route". There are 15 switchbacks in the last 1,000' vertical
gained. For you Tour de France fans, this is the **** that mountain top
finishes are made of. Some of the switchbacks are 13%-15% grade and are
off camber. It is a true test of personal stamina and skill to stay
upright through them.
George, you earned being a celebrity up there, congrats on a EPIC ride!
I totally dug the goats as well, they inspired me to keep going. 36"
wheel with long cranks is the best choice for Mountain Pass riding. Now
do the descent w/o a brake, fun/fun. I'm looking forward to our ride
tomorrow.

--
aspenmike - unicycling albino
aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

nathan
August 10th 04, 09:52 PM
George - awesome!! Your cycle with 170mm and HS33 is exactly what I
would take on such an outing. The day you did that I was climbing an
11,000' foot peak in the Japan Alps, but unfortunately not on
unicycle.

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

zod
August 10th 04, 10:01 PM
awesome read!!!! and to think I start whining after 10 miles of single
track at 1000 feet elevation :eek:

--
zod - Southern Fried mUni

Jun 20, 2003: "I am prepared to filibuster, if necessary, any Supreme
Court nominee who would turn back the clock on a woman's right to
choose..." -- John Kerry

Jul 5, 2004: "I oppose abortion, personally. I don't like abortion. I
believe life does begin at conception." -- John Kerry
zod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3631

johnfoss
August 10th 04, 10:17 PM
zod wrote:
> *awesome read!!!! and to think I start whining after 10 miles of
> single track at 1000 feet elevation :eek: *
I'm sure if you had higher mountains within reach you would complain
about those instead. :-)

I just wanted to add a comment on Coker vs. 29" based on my single
experience of riding up (and down) Mt. Diablo in May. The 3300' climb
was probably about equal on either machine, depending on crank length.
But there was one big difference I noticed. When the road got steeper
and it was a matter of single cranks (half wheel turns), one at a time,
the Cokers automatically pulled away from the 29s. I did some switching
back and forth with Mike Scalisi between his Coker and my 29, and the
Coker was always in the lead. This was because it simply went farther
with each pedal turn. Regardless of crank length, this is going to be
true. So even on the heavier Coker, uphill speed was generally better on
the Cokers. In a racing situation I'm sure it would be more related to
rider fitness, but on this (training) ride the Cokers were definitely
superior on the uphill.

Riding down was another story. Then it was more of a question of brakes
vs. no brakes. Not having brakes really sucked!

> *Jun 20, 2003: "I am prepared to filibuster, if necessary, any Supreme
> Court nominee who would turn back the clock on a woman's right to
> choose..." -- John Kerry
>
> Jul 5, 2004: "I oppose abortion, personally. I don't like abortion. I
> believe life does begin at conception." -- John Kerry*
That's Zod's signature. Sorry to drift away from topic here, but in
case anyone thinks those two statements are conflicting, they aren't.
One is about allowing someone else the right to choose, the other is
about his own opinion of the choice. Two different things.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Beer me." -- Scot Cooper, at the end of a group ride all the way up and
all the way down Mt. Diablo (3300'), a 20 mile round trip of road and
trail.

zod
August 11th 04, 02:48 AM
Yes, someone elses right to choose murder.....according to his own
belief :D

--
zod - Southern Fried mUni

Jun 20, 2003: "I am prepared to filibuster, if necessary, any Supreme
Court nominee who would turn back the clock on a woman's right to
choose..." -- John Kerry

Jul 5, 2004: "I oppose abortion, personally. I don't like abortion. I
believe life does begin at conception." -- John Kerry
zod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3631

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home