PDA

View Full Version : crank snap

c.critch
August 5th 04, 02:14 AM
i was over at my friends a couple hours ago, and was doing some trails
shots, and when i gapped a stupid 4 set,which i had done easily 2 times
before, but the camera wasnt working, so i did it again, and when i
landed my crank snapped clean off. at least i didnt hurt myself, and it
was onto grass...but im mad, i will have pics of it and stuff to
come...what kind of cranks should i get, i need a new hub now obvisouly.

--
c.critch - omg, I lost a wheel!!!

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuv93
Check out my Gallery.
c.critch's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5745

Tmornstar
August 5th 04, 02:34 AM
SPLINED!

Tommy

--
Tmornstar - Grandmaster 2T

Tommy Thompson
(No PMs. please)
Memphis Unicycle Club
Please vist our web site:
http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

1Cube1Wheel
August 5th 04, 02:53 AM
A splined crank and hub set will last a whole lot longer and can take
some massive abuse.

Jason

--
1Cube1Wheel - 01001101010101010110111001101001

I'm all for bipartisianship. Ill hug your elephant if you kiss my ass.

1Cube1Wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6957

c.critch
August 5th 04, 03:01 AM
yeah, i was using the stock cranks and hubs off the kh 20 inch, my
friend bent his to crap, now he got splined, but i hate those little nov
things that hit ur ankle!!!!!!!

--
c.critch - omg, I lost a wheel!!!

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuv93
Check out my Gallery.
c.critch's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5745

Max_Dingemans
August 5th 04, 03:33 AM
The newer KH cranks dont have nearly as much of a nub to hit your
ankles, and Onza cranks are pretty nice on the ankles (yet cheaper than
profiles). Im sure either would probably hold up fine.

--
Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

BLAH!
Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981

john_childs
August 5th 04, 03:47 AM
The newer KH cranks have less of a nub. They're more ankle ankle
friendly than the older first generation KH cranks, but there is still a
bit of a nub there.

One option is to get the HK hub without the KH cranks. Then get the
'Haro Sub-C 140 mm cranks'
(http://www.harobikes.com/2004/parts/cranks.html). They have the same
spline pattern as the KH cranks so they'll fit on the KH hub. The Haro
cranks have a bit of "Q" so they angle outwards which helps to keep your
ankle away from the crank bolt. They're much more ankle friendly than
the KH cranks.

The Haro cranks are in the $100 to $120 range, but that includes the
bottom bracket, spindle and bearings. You don't need the bottom bracket
and spindle and bearings so if you're lucky the bike shop may be able to
buy those bits back from you for a little bit.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

c.critch
August 5th 04, 04:00 AM
thanks for the advice, u guys have helped out a lot, i like the haro
idea a lot, could i just go to my local bike shop and order them than?
or how would i aquire such items

--
c.critch - omg, I lost a wheel!!!

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuv93
Check out my Gallery.
c.critch's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5745

john_childs
August 5th 04, 04:16 AM
c.critch wrote:
> *thanks for the advice, u guys have helped out a lot, i like the haro
> idea a lot, could i just go to my local bike shop and order them than?
> or how would i aquire such items *

Go to the 'find a dealer section'
(http://www.harobikes.com/2004/dealers.html) of the Haro web page and
you can find a bike shop near you that carries Haro. I don't know of
any online shops that have the Haro Sub-C cranks. I'm sure there are
some online shops that carry Haro, but you'll have to look around to
find them.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com