PDA

View Full Version : Dogs

GABIKE
July 11th 03, 12:46 PM
Went riding yesterday and while I have been chased many times by dogs, I got
chased last night by a great dane, he was as tall as I was on the bike. Never
given this much thought in the past because a dog has never scared me before.
What do dogs do to riders if they ever catch them?

Small Black Dog
July 11th 03, 12:58 PM
> What do dogs do to riders if they ever catch them?

We eat you.

Small Black Dog

Robert Hampton
July 11th 03, 02:09 PM
GABIKE wrote:
> Went riding yesterday and while I have been chased many times by dogs, I got
> chased last night by a great dane, he was as tall as I was on the bike. Never
> given this much thought in the past because a dog has never scared me before.
> What do dogs do to riders if they ever catch them?

A kid at our church was riding on a farm-to-market road to church one
afternoon (rural church) when a dog jumped him and knocked him into the
"bar ditch". Did a few hundred dollars worth of damage to his bike.
Have your waterbottle handy. They usually hate water sprayed in their face.

--
Robert Hampton
Genesis POS

Robin Hubert
July 11th 03, 02:25 PM
"GABIKE" > wrote in message
> Went riding yesterday and while I have been chased many times by dogs, I
got
> chased last night by a great dane, he was as tall as I was on the bike.
Never
> given this much thought in the past because a dog has never scared me
before.
> What do dogs do to riders if they ever catch them?

When large dogs chase me I usually either slow down and play with them or
brake, u-turn, and reverse the chase. If I'm sure the dog is a trained
attack dog (extremely rare), I'll pass.

--
Robin Hubert >

mark
July 11th 03, 02:39 PM
"GABIKE" wrote ...
> Went riding yesterday and while I have been chased many times by dogs, I
got
> chased last night by a great dane, he was as tall as I was on the bike.
Never
> given this much thought in the past because a dog has never scared me
before.
> What do dogs do to riders if they ever catch them?

The Great Dane that caught me jumped up and put his paws on my shoulders and
started licking my face. He was a puppy and wanted to make friends. Luckily
I had stopped the bike and gotten off.

My usual response to a dog chasing me is to get off the bike and face the
dog, holding the bike between me and the dog as a protective barrier (it
might look like a weapon to the dog) and yell at the dog to go home. It's
always worked so far...
--
mark

Marlene Blanshay
July 11th 03, 04:06 PM
In article k.net>,
"mark" > wrote:

> "GABIKE" wrote ...
> > Went riding yesterday and while I have been chased many times by dogs, I
> got
> > chased last night by a great dane, he was as tall as I was on the bike.
> Never
> > given this much thought in the past because a dog has never scared me
> before.
> > What do dogs do to riders if they ever catch them?
>
> The Great Dane that caught me jumped up and put his paws on my shoulders and
> started licking my face. He was a puppy and wanted to make friends. Luckily
> I had stopped the bike and gotten off.
>
> My usual response to a dog chasing me is to get off the bike and face the
> dog, holding the bike between me and the dog as a protective barrier (it
> might look like a weapon to the dog) and yell at the dog to go home. It's
> always worked so far...
> --
> mark

Great danes are huge but they are so mild mannered I wouldn't be afraid of
them. I had a friend whose bloodhound used to chase after everything (he
was always on a leash though)- roller bladers, skateboarders, kids playing
snowballs, kids playing hockey, cyclists. BUt he would never bite anyone
although he did try to grab some rollerbladers shorts!

Alex Rodriguez
July 11th 03, 05:16 PM
In article >,
says...

>Went riding yesterday and while I have been chased many times by dogs, I got
>chased last night by a great dane, he was as tall as I was on the bike. Never
>given this much thought in the past because a dog has never scared me before.
>What do dogs do to riders if they ever catch them?

Sometimes they bark at you. Sometimes they bite. Sometimes they turn around
and go home.
-----------------
Alex __O
_-\<,_
(_)/ (_)

Mike Jacoubowsky
July 11th 03, 05:55 PM
> Went riding yesterday and while I have been chased many times by dogs, I
got
> chased last night by a great dane, he was as tall as I was on the bike.
Never
> given this much thought in the past because a dog has never scared me
before.
> What do dogs do to riders if they ever catch them?

We've got some info on our website- www.ChainReaction.com/dogs that might be
of help. In many cases, dogs may do exactly nothing once they catch their
prey. The fun is in the chase, and it's boring to just sit there in a
stand-off with a cyclist. Not all the time though; there are obviously some
dogs that are trained to attack anything that they feel is intruding into
their area.

Great Danes aren't generally a nasty species though, and it may have simply
been wanting to have some fun (play) with you. This does happen; I've been
in races where dogs ran into the middle of the pack, thinking they were
having a great time. Once things didn't turn out too well, for either the
dog or a bunch of cyclists.

Be smart, and try to figure out what the dog is up to. You *are* smarter
than the dog, which you can use to your advantage.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Duffy Pratt
July 11th 03, 09:01 PM
There have been a few occaisons when I have been too tired to outrun a dog
(especially when out of shape), or run into the dogs at a dead end or forced
turn around point.

The biggest danger with dogs is that they might run into your wheels and
send you both flying. That hasn't happenned to me, but I've seen it and its
not pretty at all.

If the dog is going to catch up, I will slow down and start to get off the
bike on the side away from the dog. Usually they will stop and bark. Once
I'm off the bike, I use it as a shield and get the pump to use as a weapon,
if its needed. I've never had to do either though. Most dogs will back
away from something that is not acting like prey, is not running, is not
scared, and is willing to outshout and out stare them.

Duffy

"Mike Jacoubowsky" > wrote in message
> > Went riding yesterday and while I have been chased many times by dogs, I
> got
> > chased last night by a great dane, he was as tall as I was on the bike.
> Never
> > given this much thought in the past because a dog has never scared me
> before.
> > What do dogs do to riders if they ever catch them?
>
> We've got some info on our website- www.ChainReaction.com/dogs that might
be
> of help. In many cases, dogs may do exactly nothing once they catch their
> prey. The fun is in the chase, and it's boring to just sit there in a
> stand-off with a cyclist. Not all the time though; there are obviously
some
> dogs that are trained to attack anything that they feel is intruding into
> their area.
>
> Great Danes aren't generally a nasty species though, and it may have
simply
> been wanting to have some fun (play) with you. This does happen; I've
been
> in races where dogs ran into the middle of the pack, thinking they were
> having a great time. Once things didn't turn out too well, for either the
> dog or a bunch of cyclists.
>
> Be smart, and try to figure out what the dog is up to. You *are* smarter
> than the dog, which you can use to your advantage.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles
July 12th 03, 12:24 AM
> If the dog is going to catch up, I will slow down and start to get off the
> bike on the side away from the dog. Usually they will stop and bark.
Once
> I'm off the bike, I use it as a shield and get the pump to use as a
weapon,
> if its needed. I've never had to do either though. Most dogs will back
> away from something that is not acting like prey, is not running, is not
> scared, and is willing to outshout and out stare them.

Absolutely true. If I'm not in a rush, I actually enjoy stopping and
staring them (dogs) down, assuming, of course, it's not drooling too much
and audibly ganshing teeth! It has an amazingly powerful effect when you
simply stop and stare a dog down (when it's been coming after you). They
just don't know what to do, because that's not the way they're programmed.
And experience has told me that this can actually "break" a dog
psychologically... they will sometimes stop going after cyclists after such
an experience.

But keep in mind this works with relatively "normal" dogs. If somebody has
trained a pitbull (or any other aggressive breed) to shred & kill, you
really ought to find someplace else to be. But the same rules of safety
still apply- put your bike between you and the dog.

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

"Duffy Pratt" > wrote in message
> There have been a few occaisons when I have been too tired to outrun a dog
> (especially when out of shape), or run into the dogs at a dead end or
forced
> turn around point.
>
> The biggest danger with dogs is that they might run into your wheels and
> send you both flying. That hasn't happenned to me, but I've seen it and
its
> not pretty at all.
>
> If the dog is going to catch up, I will slow down and start to get off the
> bike on the side away from the dog. Usually they will stop and bark.
Once
> I'm off the bike, I use it as a shield and get the pump to use as a
weapon,
> if its needed. I've never had to do either though. Most dogs will back
> away from something that is not acting like prey, is not running, is not
> scared, and is willing to outshout and out stare them.
>
> Duffy
>
> "Mike Jacoubowsky" > wrote in message
> > > Went riding yesterday and while I have been chased many times by dogs,
> > got
> > > chased last night by a great dane, he was as tall as I was on the
bike.
> > Never
> > > given this much thought in the past because a dog has never scared me
> > before.
> > > What do dogs do to riders if they ever catch them?
> >
> > We've got some info on our website- www.ChainReaction.com/dogs that
might
> be
> > of help. In many cases, dogs may do exactly nothing once they catch
their
> > prey. The fun is in the chase, and it's boring to just sit there in a
> > stand-off with a cyclist. Not all the time though; there are obviously
> some
> > dogs that are trained to attack anything that they feel is intruding
into
> > their area.
> >
> > Great Danes aren't generally a nasty species though, and it may have
> simply
> > been wanting to have some fun (play) with you. This does happen; I've
> been
> > in races where dogs ran into the middle of the pack, thinking they were
> > having a great time. Once things didn't turn out too well, for either
the
> > dog or a bunch of cyclists.
> >
> > Be smart, and try to figure out what the dog is up to. You *are*
smarter
> > than the dog, which you can use to your advantage.
> >
> > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> > http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Golightly F.
July 12th 03, 12:34 AM
Your only defense is to use the water bottle... or hammer the pedals for a
while.

Catching the dog is probably not a good idea... but catching the dogs owner
is.

fwiw

"GABIKE" >
> Went riding yesterday and while I have been chased many times by dogs, I
got
> chased last night by a great dane, he was as tall as I was on the bike.
Never
> given this much thought in the past because a dog has never scared me
before.
> What do dogs do to riders if they ever catch them?

Tom Keats
July 12th 03, 12:37 AM
In article >,
(Marlene Blanshay) writes:

> Great danes are huge but they are so mild mannered I wouldn't be afraid of
> them.

My experience with great danes is similar. The ones I've
known were all more civil and civilized than many humans.
And often, better conversationalists. The poor critters
had short lives though -- apparently they get too big for
their hearts, physiologically speaking. I wouldn't encourage
them to over-exert, or to get overly excited.

> I had a friend whose bloodhound used to chase after everything (he
> was always on a leash though)- roller bladers, skateboarders, kids playing
> snowballs, kids playing hockey, cyclists. BUt he would never bite anyone
> although he did try to grab some rollerbladers shorts!

LOL!

cheers,
Tom