PDA

View Full Version : Chain lube - when to....

AC
June 7th 04, 10:14 AM
Hi,

I have a 2nd hand Fausto Copi San Remo, fitted with Shimano 105 kit

How frequently should I be lubricating the chain? I don't often ride in the
rain & am averaging about 120 miles a week at the moment.

While I'm on the subject - any recommendations re brands/types to use, and
should the chain be CLEANED at the same time? The type of cleaner that
enclose the chain and have several brushes seems good (?)

--
Cheers

AC

Simon Brooke
June 7th 04, 12:05 PM
in message >, AC
') wrote:

> I have a 2nd hand Fausto Copi San Remo, fitted with Shimano 105 kit
>
> How frequently should I be lubricating the chain? I don't often ride
> in the rain & am averaging about 120 miles a week at the moment.

Weekly, I would say. Some people would say 'every ride'.

> While I'm on the subject - any recommendations re brands/types to use,

I use (and am happy with) Finish Line Cross Country. However, other
people recommend chainsaw oil, which is designed for a similarly
stressful environment and is much cheaper. I've recently been given an
aerosol can of a grease formulated for industrial roller chains (i.e.
like bike chains but driving bits of industrial equipment) which is
much cheaper than the bike stuff and which I intend to try.

> and should the chain be CLEANED at the same time? The type of cleaner
> that enclose the chain and have several brushes seems good (?)

Ideally you _should_ clean the chain every time you lube it but in my
experience the plastic clip-on-the-chain baths are not really much good
and get through a lot of expensive degreaser. I take my chains off the
bikes about once a month and wash them in a tin of parafin, before
hanging them up to dry and then relubing them.

;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundum variat.

John Hearns
June 7th 04, 01:06 PM
On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 10:14:32 +0100, AC wrote:

> While I'm on the subject - any recommendations re brands/types to use, and
> should the chain be CLEANED at the same time? The type of cleaner that
> enclose the chain and have several brushes seems good (?)

The Sheldown Brown tip of putting the chain into an old plastic drinks
bottle works for me.
I really should (ahem) actually clean the chain on my bike though...
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

Peter Clinch
June 7th 04, 01:20 PM
AC wrote:

> How frequently should I be lubricating the chain? I don't often ride in the
> rain & am averaging about 120 miles a week at the moment.

"Whenever it needs doing", he said unhelpfully. In winter with salt
down on the roads I generally go for "every ride". At 120 miles a week
I'd think at least once a week if the conditions are fairly benign.
Thing is you can't really do it too often.

> While I'm on the subject - any recommendations re brands/types to use, and
> should the chain be CLEANED at the same time? The type of cleaner that
> enclose the chain and have several brushes seems good (?)

A typical lubing session will effectively clean the chain at the same
time. I generally work by overdoing the oil so it soaks in to all the
links nicely and then rub off the excess off with a rag. This seems to
keep mine pretty clean too. If you don't rub off excess it's a sticky
goop to let particles stick to the thing, which is Bad, so always wipe
excessive amounts off.

I used to have a Finish Line rotating brush cleaner thingy, and someone
at FL clearly decided desirable characteristics of the plastic body
should be "as brittle as possible". Anything that could break off did.
I subsequently got a much cheaper (and frankly rather better) one in a
Lidl's special bin which I use for particularly filthy or neglected
chains (does a good job too), though normally just the regular lube and
wipe seems to keep things in good order.

But removing the chain and soaking it is probably best. If you'll be
doing this then a Sachs Powerlink or similar to make breaking and
remaking the chain easier is a Cunning Plan.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

wheelsgoround
June 7th 04, 05:16 PM
You've asked a question that probably provokes more disagreement an
opinions than any other

My opinion (for it is only that although it is formed from m
experience)

- Only lube it when it needs it (when you hear it squeak) This i
almost always the case after it has had a soaking
- Don't lube a dirty chain. The lube will carry the dirt particle
into the rollers and accelerate wear. I try to minimise dirt build
up by running the chain through a rag (by holding the chain wit
the rag while back-pedalling) after every ride and especially if i
has got we
- The way I clean my chain is to take it off, put it in a large jam ja
or similar half filled with cleaner or degreaser,put the lid on
give it a good shake. Leave immersed overnight if possible, shak
again and then give a really good rinse in clean water (again in th
jar) to remove all traces of solvent. Leave out in the sum to dr
thoroughly (or stick in the oven at about 50deg
- Don't use a spray lube as this puts too much on. There are many goo
chain lubes available; I happen to use Finesse Multi Lube Plus. I pu
a tiny drop on left and right of each roller - takes a few minute
but avoids over-lubing. I then put the chain back on the bike and ru
it around the sprockets several times to get the lube worked in
- Wipe off any excess lube with a clean rag. Excess lube attracts dirt

There is no one answer to this question but that is what works for m

Ia

-

David Waters
June 7th 04, 05:51 PM
The chain is currently off my Galaxy due to replacing the front mech,
due to switching to sti's. The chain is absolutely disgusting and I have
tried a range of things including wd40, muc off and white spirit. My
latest attempt is using Caustic Soda as recommended by my local hardware
store. He reckons this will totally degrease the chain (which is what I
want) and then I will be able to relube it from scratch. Has anybody
else used Caustic soda? It doesnt seem like particularly nice stuff but
apparently it shouldnt corrode the metal. Only my hands...

Zog The Undeniable
June 7th 04, 07:15 PM
David Waters wrote:

> The chain is currently off my Galaxy due to replacing the front mech,
> due to switching to sti's. The chain is absolutely disgusting and I have
> tried a range of things including wd40, muc off and white spirit. My
> latest attempt is using Caustic Soda as recommended by my local hardware
> store. He reckons this will totally degrease the chain (which is what I
> want) and then I will be able to relube it from scratch. Has anybody
> else used Caustic soda? It doesnt seem like particularly nice stuff but
> apparently it shouldnt corrode the metal. Only my hands...

Oh, push out the £5 for a new chain!

wheelsgoround
June 7th 04, 07:20 PM
I'm not sure of the chemistry but I wouldn't use it. Anything tha
could potentially weaken the pins can result in sudden chain failur
which can be nasty

Use citrus degreaser in a jam jar as I described above. Go through
few cycles of shake-it, leave-it, shake-it, leave-it etc. Then rins
out, put in some fresh degreaser and repeat. Rinse and dry thoroughl
before lubing

If that doesn't shift it, buy a new chain - you probably need one

Oh, and don't let it get in that state again - you should be ashamed o
yourself :

Ia

-

MSeries
June 7th 04, 07:25 PM
"AC" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hi,
>
> I have a 2nd hand Fausto Copi San Remo, fitted with Shimano 105 kit
>
> How frequently should I be lubricating the chain? I don't often ride in
the
> rain & am averaging about 120 miles a week at the moment.
>
> While I'm on the subject - any recommendations re brands/types to use, and
> should the chain be CLEANED at the same time? The type of cleaner that
> enclose the chain and have several brushes seems good (?)

Put the chain in a shallow tray of Diesel, brush with a tooth brush, wipe
off the excess Diesel refit the chain and lube with Finish Line.

Jon Senior
June 7th 04, 08:09 PM
David Waters opined the following...
> The chain is currently off my Galaxy due to replacing the front mech,=20
> due to switching to sti's. The chain is absolutely disgusting and I have=
=20
> tried a range of things including wd40, muc off and white spirit. My=20
> latest attempt is using Caustic Soda as recommended by my local hardware=
=20
> store. He reckons this will totally degrease the chain (which is what I=
=20
> want) and then I will be able to relube it from scratch. Has anybody=20
> else used Caustic soda? It doesnt seem like particularly nice stuff but=
=20
> apparently it shouldnt corrode the metal. Only my hands...

For only a few quid more, go to your local garage and buy some paraffin.=20
5L used to cost about =A32.50. Get an old ice cream tub, jam jar or=20
tupperware container (That you have no desire to use again!), dump the=20
chain in it and fill. Shake, leave, rinse and dry. Relube.

A number of people have suggested running two chains. One in use, and=20
one being cleaned & relubed. The advantage of this is that you can=20
simply immerse the chain in oil and then hang it up over a container to=20
drip dry. A quick qipe off of the excess and it's ready for use. As soon=20
as I'm organised enough to do it I probably will!

Jon

John Everett
June 7th 04, 10:21 PM
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 10:14:32 +0100, "AC" >
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a 2nd hand Fausto Copi San Remo, fitted with Shimano 105 kit
>
>How frequently should I be lubricating the chain? I don't often ride in the
>rain & am averaging about 120 miles a week at the moment.

Your chain will tell you when it needs to be lubricated. It will start
to squeak.

>While I'm on the subject - any recommendations re brands/types to use, and
>should the chain be CLEANED at the same time? The type of cleaner that
>enclose the chain and have several brushes seems good (?)

Rule Number One of Chain Maintenance: NEVER LUBRICATE A DIRTY CHAIN!

All the rest is pretty much religion.

Peter Clinch
June 8th 04, 08:48 AM
John Everett wrote:

> Your chain will tell you when it needs to be lubricated. It will start
> to squeak.

After noxious winter buildups I've had chains that don't squeak... but
that don't bend very much either! So clearly not 100% reliable. If you
wait until it's past needing done and squeaking is IMHO worse than a bit
of time-advanced maintenance and having it never squeak (and wear) in
the first place. Downside is you spend more on lube.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Julian Symondson
June 8th 04, 07:29 PM
On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 11:05:03 GMT, Simon Brooke >
wrote:

> in message >, AC
> ') wrote:
>
>> I have a 2nd hand Fausto Copi San Remo, fitted with Shimano 105 kit
>>
>> How frequently should I be lubricating the chain? I don't often ride
>> in the rain & am averaging about 120 miles a week at the moment.
>
> Weekly, I would say. Some people would say 'every ride'.
>
>> While I'm on the subject - any recommendations re brands/types to use,
>
> I use (and am happy with) Finish Line Cross Country. However, other
> people recommend chainsaw oil, which is designed for a similarly
> stressful environment and is much cheaper. I've recently been given an
> aerosol can of a grease formulated for industrial roller chains (i.e.
> like bike chains but driving bits of industrial equipment) which is
> much cheaper than the bike stuff and which I intend to try.
>
>> and should the chain be CLEANED at the same time? The type of cleaner
>> that enclose the chain and have several brushes seems good (?)
>
> Ideally you _should_ clean the chain every time you lube it but in my
> experience the plastic clip-on-the-chain baths are not really much good
> and get through a lot of expensive degreaser. I take my chains off the
> bikes about once a month and wash them in a tin of parafin, before
> hanging them up to dry and then relubing them.

I use diesel in my chain bath. Its slightly oily anyway and very cheap.
The cleaning products tend to remove too much IMO.

--

J u l i a n

__o
_`\(,_