PDA

View Full Version : Bike to Work week

Zog The Undeniable
June 7th 04, 08:51 PM
A rare and refreshing attitude to plastic hats (clickk the "new
cyclists" link):

http://www.bike2work.info/

Anyone getting a free breakfast next week?

All I've seen planned so far at our place are "a test of your cycling
skills" (hopefully this means seeing who can wheelie the length of the
car park and ride over the chief exec's car) and lunchtime rides of 30
minutes' duration, which will just about get you out of said car park
and back again. Oh well.

Helen Deborah Vecht
June 7th 04, 09:32 PM
Zog The Undeniable >typed

> A rare and refreshing attitude to plastic hats (clickk the "new
> cyclists" link):

> http://www.bike2work.info/

> Anyone getting a free breakfast next week?

> All I've seen planned so far at our place are "a test of your cycling
> skills" (hopefully this means seeing who can wheelie the length of the
> car park and ride over the chief exec's car) and lunchtime rides of 30
> minutes' duration, which will just about get you out of said car park
> and back again. Oh well.

I'm helping out with Camden's breakfast in Ossulton Street on Tuesday...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Dave Larrington
June 8th 04, 10:40 AM
Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> Anyone getting a free breakfast next week?

Yes, but it's got nothing to do with any so-called "bike to work" nonse ;-)

> All I've seen planned so far at our place are "a test of your cycling
> skills" (hopefully this means seeing who can wheelie the length of the
> car park and ride over the chief exec's car) and lunchtime rides of 30
> minutes' duration, which will just about get you out of said car park
> and back again. Oh well.

More than we have. The Evil Squirrels probably don't know what a "Bike" is,
but seeing as there's only one regular cycle commuter in the entire Nut
Mine, this is hardly surprising.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Fat Lad
June 8th 04, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Dave Larrington
Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> Anyone getting a free breakfast next week

I've gotta say this has been a poorly advertised event, or is it me?
only found out about it today elsewhere (Chapmans website) & that was b
accident. I haven't seen anything in the local press or on the nationa
news about bike to work week which I think is a pity - now is a grea
time to get out on a bike. Absolutely nothing on our intrawet o
noticeboard, I think I'll complain

And whats this about free food? No don't tell me. Best not know I'
still a tad portly

-

David Hansen
June 8th 04, 01:17 PM
On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 20:51:54 +0100 someone who may be Zog The
Undeniable > wrote this:-

>Anyone getting a free breakfast next week?

According to the posters displayed around Edinburgh:

"Free bike breakfast for you from City of Edinburgh Council

"Free Spokes map for first 20 cyclists to arrive

"Competitions... prizes

"Stalls... leaflets, maps

"Speaker:Cllr Burns (CEC Head of Transport)

"MSPs cycle ride to Holyrood 10am

"Wed 16 June 8-10am

"Edinburgh City Chambers Quadrangle"

The event has attracted at a guess 100-200 people in previous years.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

John Hearns
June 8th 04, 01:23 PM
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 11:32:00 +0000, Fat Lad wrote:

> Originally posted by Dave Larrington
> Zog The Undeniable wrote:
>
>> Anyone getting a free breakfast next week?
>
> I've gotta say this has been a poorly advertised event, or is it me? I
> only found out about it today elsewhere (Chapmans website) & that was by
> accident.
Most people won't know about Bike Week, unless they are already cyclists.

I helped hand out around 400 odd Greenwich Cyclists newsletters early this
morning, at the entrance to the Greenwich Foot Tunnel with our rides
programme.
Also took in a quick visit to see the transit from the Observatory.
No sign of Adam Hart-Davis's Brompton.

Colin McKenzie
June 8th 04, 01:58 PM
David Hansen wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 20:51:54 +0100 someone who may be Zog The
> Undeniable > wrote this:-
>>Anyone getting a free breakfast next week?
> According to the posters displayed around Edinburgh:
>
> "Free bike breakfast for you from City of Edinburgh Council

If it helps, there's another outside Ealing Town Hall on Tues
07.30-10.00 approx.

Colin McKenzie
--
The great advantage of not trusting statistics is that
it leaves you free to believe the damned lies instead!

John Hearns
June 8th 04, 02:19 PM
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 13:17:24 +0100, David Hansen wrote:

> "MSPs cycle ride to Holyrood 10am

On a fleet of bespoke carbon framed bikes no doubt.
But will the gold leaf on the cycle racks last?

Graeme
June 8th 04, 02:23 PM
David Hansen > wrote in
:

> MSPs cycle ride to Holyrood 10am

Where from? The Mound? Barring the little jaunt up to the lights on the
Royal Mile, they'll barely need to pedal, although it does get a little
flat near the Council Chambers. By the way, is the bloody place anywhere
near finished yet or will they be cycling to a building site?

Graeme

Just zis Guy, you know?
June 8th 04, 03:56 PM
Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> A rare and refreshing attitude to plastic hats (clickk the "new
> cyclists" link):
> http://www.bike2work.info/

BeHIT will be celebrating BikeWeek by trying to scare people off their
bikes, as ever. They have persuaded the Beeb to allow them space to redress
the "imbalance" of Roger Geffen's interview after the Martlew "debate".

--
Guy
===

Victory is ours! Down with Eric the Half A Brain!

David Hansen
June 8th 04, 04:54 PM
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 13:23:01 GMT someone who may be Graeme
> wrote this:-

>> MSPs cycle ride to Holyrood 10am
>
>Where from? The Mound? Barring the little jaunt up to the lights on the
>Royal Mile, they'll barely need to pedal, although it does get a little
>flat near the Council Chambers.

I assume that they will cycle from City Chambers to the new palace
at Holyrood. Apart from starting off they will not need to pedal at
all.

However, while everyone makes fun of the MSPs I suspect that many of
those making the trip will be fairly regular cyclists anyway. A
number do cycle for more than just publicity photographs. This tends
to be those outwith the main political parties, but there are others
in the big three parties and the Tories as well. The second picture
on http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/1547663.stm shows the
Transport Minister at the time.

>By the way, is the bloody place anywhere
>near finished yet or will they be cycling to a building site?

It is being fitted out.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

Tony Raven
June 8th 04, 05:56 PM
David Hansen wrote:

> I assume that they will cycle from City Chambers to the new palace
> at Holyrood. Apart from starting off they will not need to pedal at
> all.

So the Scottish Parliament's is going downhill then ;-)

Tony

Tony Raven
June 8th 04, 05:58 PM
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> Zog The Undeniable wrote:
>> A rare and refreshing attitude to plastic hats (clickk the "new
>> cyclists" link):
>> http://www.bike2work.info/
>
> BeHIT will be celebrating BikeWeek by trying to scare people off their
> bikes, as ever. They have persuaded the Beeb to allow them space to redress
> the "imbalance" of Roger Geffen's interview after the Martlew "debate".

Will the BBC allow space to redress the imbalance of the BBCi reporting of
matters helmetous?

Tony

Andy Leighton
June 8th 04, 07:49 PM
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 16:54:30 +0100,
David Hansen > wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 13:23:01 GMT someone who may be Graeme
> wrote this:-
>
>>> MSPs cycle ride to Holyrood 10am
>>
>>Where from? The Mound? Barring the little jaunt up to the lights on the
>>Royal Mile, they'll barely need to pedal, although it does get a little
>>flat near the Council Chambers.
>
> I assume that they will cycle from City Chambers to the new palace
> at Holyrood. Apart from starting off they will not need to pedal at
> all.

Our local VIPs in Peterborough are apparently having a cycle around
looking at the cycleways and to promote cycles as a form of commuting
(talking of which they aren't really doing a good job as I only know
about the bikeweek events including this one by already knowing about
bikeweek and doing a search on the bikeweek site). Apparently they
say that participation is by invite only. Which seems strange as
they will be cycling on public roads and cycleways. What would they
do if 20 or 30 people just happened to want to cycle the same route?

--
Andy Leighton =>
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

Geoff Pearson
June 8th 04, 07:59 PM
"David Hansen" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 20:51:54 +0100 someone who may be Zog The
> Undeniable > wrote this:-
>
> >Anyone getting a free breakfast next week?
>
> According to the posters displayed around Edinburgh:
>
> "Free bike breakfast for you from City of Edinburgh Council
>
> "Free Spokes map for first 20 cyclists to arrive
>
> "Competitions... prizes
>
> "Stalls... leaflets, maps
>
> "Speaker:Cllr Burns (CEC Head of Transport)
>
> "MSPs cycle ride to Holyrood 10am
>
> "Wed 16 June 8-10am
>
> "Edinburgh City Chambers Quadrangle"
>
> The event has attracted at a guess 100-200 people in previous years.
>

> --
> David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E
> I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK government
> prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

Scottish Executive officials are planning to ride round our four main
sites on BtW morning.

Just zis Guy, you know?
June 8th 04, 09:12 PM
On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 17:58:16 +0100, "Tony Raven"
> wrote in message
>:

>Will the BBC allow space to redress the imbalance of the BBCi reporting of
>matters helmetous?

Now you're just being silly...

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

David Hansen
June 9th 04, 10:11 AM
On 08 Jun 2004 18:49:38 GMT someone who may be Andy Leighton
> wrote this:-

>Our local VIPs in Peterborough are apparently having a cycle around
>looking at the cycleways and to promote cycles as a form of commuting
>(talking of which they aren't really doing a good job as I only know
>about the bikeweek events including this one by already knowing about
>bikeweek and doing a search on the bikeweek site). Apparently they
>say that participation is by invite only.

Perhaps they want to eat all the breakfasts themselves.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

Vince
June 10th 04, 06:50 AM
"Tony Raven" > wrote in message >...
> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> > Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> >> A rare and refreshing attitude to plastic hats (clickk the "new
> >> cyclists" link):
> >> http://www.bike2work.info/
> >
> > BeHIT will be celebrating BikeWeek by trying to scare people off their
> > bikes, as ever. They have persuaded the Beeb to allow them space to redress
> > the "imbalance" of Roger Geffen's interview after the Martlew "debate".
>
> Will the BBC allow space to redress the imbalance of the BBCi reporting of
> matters helmetous?
>
> Tony

What imbalance?

Gawnsoft
June 10th 04, 11:02 AM
On 9 Jun 2004 22:50:34 -0700, (Vince) wrote
(more or less):

>"Tony Raven" > wrote in message >...
>> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>> >
>> > BeHIT will be celebrating BikeWeek by trying to scare people off their
>> > bikes, as ever. They have persuaded the Beeb to allow them space to redress
>> > the "imbalance" of Roger Geffen's interview after the Martlew "debate".
>>
>> Will the BBC allow space to redress the imbalance of the BBCi reporting of
>> matters helmetous?
>>
>> Tony
>

>What imbalance?

Have you read any of the BBCi articles on helmets?

--
Cheers,
Euan

Just zis Guy, you know?
June 10th 04, 07:19 PM
On 9 Jun 2004 22:50:34 -0700, (Vince) wrote in
message >:

>What imbalance?

OK, you're right - imbalance implies that the balanced view is at
least alluded to. Utter one-sidedness, then.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home