PDA

View Full Version : Cycle Vision

Carol Hague
June 8th 04, 05:49 PM
Just got back from the HPV World Championships at Cycle Vision in the
Netherlands.

The UK contingent in the racing was somewhat thin - just Rob and Nick
Green on the track (unless anyone knows different of course) and Sherri
Donaldson (an Aussie lurking among the Brits) doing the English
commentary.

Rob participated in the quarter mile drag racing, and the one-hour and
three-hour races (yes he's mad. Fortunately it was overcast on Saturday
when the three-hour race happened). His racing machine may be seen
here:-

http://cubekiq.student.utwente.nl/~neno/PUBLIC/WK_CV_6_6_2004/image047.h
tml

He was also entered in the Criterium and the multitrack races, but
unfortunately the crit track and Rob's fairing proved to be incompatible
- on his first practice lap there was a mighty Thump and a bending of
aluminium, so those races were sadly abandoned lest the fairing become
Utterly Knackered, somewhat like its owner after finishing the three
hour race.

Mr Green exited the three-hour race after an hour and a half or so
inna-sideways-stylee, but fortunately there was no major damage, either
to him or to his Wooden Fish on Wheels (which is of course, neither
Wooden, nor a Fish) and they were reunited for the one-hour race the
next day. The name of a certain Mr Fleming (another BHPC-type person)
was called for this race, but unless he has perfected the entirely
invisible bike, he wasn't there.

The results aren't up yet, but no doubt will arrive soon.

I spent much of the time manning the Greenspeed stand in the trade tent.
Unfortunately, owing to a last minute change of plans by the site
owners, this was located about a ten minute walk away from the startline
for the track events, which must have been frustrating for the
organisers. When not racing, Rob spent his time helping me on the stand
and drooling over the Flevobike Versatile on the stand opposite.
(http://www.flevobike.nl/indexmodellen.html).

Also unfortunately the GT3 folding trike that was supposed to be the
centrepiece of the stand only made it as far as the Fedex warehouse in
Amsterdam. We were Not Pleased, but at least German Eslava from Cab-Bike
had one on his demo stand, so all was not utterly lost.

The campsite at 't Oppertje was pretty much taken over by International
Darksiders - by Saturday night they were using a shoehorn to fit more
tents in - and the atmosphere was very nice and friendly, although I got
bitten by mosquitoes a Several of times (boo! hiss!). Going *upstairs*
to the lake was a somewhat surreal experience too....

Rumour has it that there may not be a Cycle Vision next year, or at
least not in Lelystad - the organisers are understandably desirous of a
rest and are thining of dropping it back to every two years, possibly
with other countries hosting it in the alternate years.

--
Carol
Westcountry Recumbents

Dave Larrington
June 9th 04, 10:06 AM
Carol Hague wrote:

> The name of a certain Mr Fleming (another
> BHPC-type person) was called for this race, but unless he has
> perfected the entirely invisible bike, he wasn't there.

Mr Fleming did enter, but then changed his mind about attending due to "it
being too much hassle".

> Rumour has it that there may not be a Cycle
> Vision next year, or at least not in Lelystad - the
> organisers are understandably desirous of a
> rest and are thining of dropping it back to every
> two years, possibly with other countries hosting it
> in the alternate years.

I have heard a rumour that it may be at Zolder, Belgium, next year.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Carol Hague
June 9th 04, 11:14 AM
Dave Larrington > wrote:

> Carol Hague wrote:
>
> > The name of a certain Mr Fleming (another
> > BHPC-type person) was called for this race, but unless he has
> > perfected the entirely invisible bike, he wasn't there.
>
> Mr Fleming did enter, but then changed his mind about attending due to "it
> being too much hassle".

Ah, that explains it then. There were a lot of people there, and it
seemed entirely possible that I might have just missed him somehow.

> > Rumour has it that there may not be a Cycle
> > Vision next year, or at least not in Lelystad - the
> > organisers are understandably desirous of a
> > rest and are thining of dropping it back to every
> > two years, possibly with other countries hosting it
> > in the alternate years.
>
> I have heard a rumour that it may be at Zolder, Belgium, next year.

So we might get to try the Zeebrugge ferry this time :-)

--
Carol
"Mmmmooooowooooff!" - the Moobark, "The Treacle People"

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home