PDA

View Full Version : My first ever 200(km) next Sunday

MSeries
June 9th 04, 09:13 PM
http://www.wicklow200.ie/2004/theroute.shtml
> I've been over almost all the climbs - although not on the same day. I've
> never cycled so far in one go though. My aim is to survive and get round
in
> the allotted 14 hours. Anyone else here doing it?
> There's one possible problem that maybe someone can help me with. When
> climbing my head sweats a lot. The weather forecast for Sunday is for a
warm
> sunny day. I'd normally wear an old style team cap that'd absorb most of
the
> sweat and keep it out of my eyes. On this ride helmets are compulsory. My
> shiny new one leaves no space for a sweat band. Are there any cunning
tricks
> that the helmet wearers out there use to keep the sweat out of their eyes?
>
> thanks,
>
> tony R.

My mate reckons putting vaseline over the eye brows causes the sweat to run
around the eyes and down the side of the head rather than in the eyes. I've
not tried it myself.

tony R
June 9th 04, 09:14 PM
..... and it's a hilly one. See http://www.wicklow200.ie/2004/theroute.shtml
I've been over almost all the climbs - although not on the same day. I've
never cycled so far in one go though. My aim is to survive and get round in
the allotted 14 hours. Anyone else here doing it?
There's one possible problem that maybe someone can help me with. When
climbing my head sweats a lot. The weather forecast for Sunday is for a warm
sunny day. I'd normally wear an old style team cap that'd absorb most of the
sweat and keep it out of my eyes. On this ride helmets are compulsory. My
shiny new one leaves no space for a sweat band. Are there any cunning tricks
that the helmet wearers out there use to keep the sweat out of their eyes?

thanks,

tony R.

Frank X
June 9th 04, 09:15 PM
"tony R" > wrote in message
> .... and it's a hilly one. See
> http://www.wicklow200.ie/2004/theroute.shtml
> I've been over almost all the climbs - although not on the same day. I've
> never cycled so far in one go though. My aim is to survive and get round
> in
> the allotted 14 hours. Anyone else here doing it?
> There's one possible problem that maybe someone can help me with. When
> climbing my head sweats a lot. The weather forecast for Sunday is for a
> warm
> sunny day. I'd normally wear an old style team cap that'd absorb most of
> the
> sweat and keep it out of my eyes. On this ride helmets are compulsory. My
> shiny new one leaves no space for a sweat band. Are there any cunning
> tricks
> that the helmet wearers out there use to keep the sweat out of their eyes?

Not really, but if you squirt your head with water the sweat doesn't get so
salty.

Simonb
June 9th 04, 09:24 PM
tony R wrote:

> There's one possible problem that maybe someone can help me with. When
> climbing my head sweats a lot.

Take off your helmet for the climbs? Or 'accidentally' leave it at home.

Sarissa
June 9th 04, 10:16 PM
tony R wrote:
> .... and it's a hilly one. See http://www.wicklow200.ie/2004/theroute.shtml
> I've been over almost all the climbs - although not on the same day. I've
> never cycled so far in one go though. My aim is to survive and get round in
> the allotted 14 hours. Anyone else here doing it?
> There's one possible problem that maybe someone can help me with. When
> climbing my head sweats a lot. The weather forecast for Sunday is for a warm
> sunny day. I'd normally wear an old style team cap that'd absorb most of the
> sweat and keep it out of my eyes. On this ride helmets are compulsory. My
> shiny new one leaves no space for a sweat band. Are there any cunning tricks
> that the helmet wearers out there use to keep the sweat out of their eyes?
>
> thanks,
>
> tony R.

I wear a bandana made from a Buff cut into triangles - fits under a
h****t nicely.

Sarissa

elyob
June 10th 04, 12:09 AM
"Sarissa" > wrote in message
> tony R wrote:
> > .... and it's a hilly one. See
http://www.wicklow200.ie/2004/theroute.shtml

> I wear a bandana made from a Buff cut into triangles - fits under a
> h****t nicely.

Buff Buff Buff ....

Hold it .. you cut a Buff?

Arthur Clune
June 10th 04, 10:24 AM
tony R > wrote:

: sweat and keep it out of my eyes. On this ride helmets are compulsory. My
: shiny new one leaves no space for a sweat band. Are there any cunning tricks
: that the helmet wearers out there use to keep the sweat out of their eyes?

The vasline thing as mention by others is old and tried. Personally I don't sweat
that much so don't bother.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

tony R
June 10th 04, 08:41 PM
"Arthur Clune" > wrote in message
> tony R > wrote:
>
> : sweat and keep it out of my eyes. On this ride helmets are compulsory.
My
> : shiny new one leaves no space for a sweat band. Are there any cunning
tricks
> : that the helmet wearers out there use to keep the sweat out of their
eyes?

> The vasline thing as mention by others is old and tried. Personally I
don't sweat
> that much so don't bother.

Thanks for the replies - think I'll give the vaseline a go.

tony R.

MartinM
June 10th 04, 11:28 PM
"Arthur Clune" > wrote in message >...
> tony R > wrote:
>
> : sweat and keep it out of my eyes. On this ride helmets are compulsory. My
> : shiny new one leaves no space for a sweat band. Are there any cunning tricks
> : that the helmet wearers out there use to keep the sweat out of their eyes?
>
> The vasline thing as mention by others is old and tried. Personally I don't sweat
> that much so don't bother.
>
> Arthur

I simply bow my head and push the front pad against my forehead, the
sweat pours all over my nice front mech and cables and corrodes it but
keeps out of my eyes ;-)

elyob
June 11th 04, 12:09 AM
"MartinM" > wrote in message
om...
> "Arthur Clune" > wrote in message
> > tony R > wrote:
> >
> > : sweat and keep it out of my eyes. On this ride helmets are compulsory.
My
> > : shiny new one leaves no space for a sweat band. Are there any cunning
tricks
> > : that the helmet wearers out there use to keep the sweat out of their
eyes?

> > The vasline thing as mention by others is old and tried. Personally I
don't sweat
> > that much so don't bother.
> >
> > Arthur
>
> I simply bow my head and push the front pad against my forehead, the
> sweat pours all over my nice front mech and cables and corrodes it but
> keeps out of my eyes ;-)

You don't want to know about my snot/hayfever removal problems :)

JBB
June 11th 04, 12:17 AM
"tony R" > wrote in message

> "Arthur Clune" > wrote in message
> > tony R > wrote:
> >
> > : sweat and keep it out of my eyes. On this ride helmets are compulsory.
> My
> > : shiny new one leaves no space for a sweat band. Are there any cunning
> tricks
> > : that the helmet wearers out there use to keep the sweat out of their
> eyes?
> >
> > The vasline thing as mention by others is old and tried. Personally I
> don't sweat
> > that much so don't bother.
>
> Thanks for the replies - think I'll give the vaseline a go.
>
> tony R.

Just remember it's actually an inverted V ov Vaseline you're looking for to
channel sweat to the edges - otherwise you just get indiscriminate dribbles
(yes this is personal experience from back in my running days!)

HTH
Julia

Eric Nolan
June 11th 04, 10:59 AM
I'm doing this as well. Although I will almost certainly do the 100km
(actually substantially more than that) version since I'm dubious
about my ability to do the whole thing in one go.

I have one of those Reevu helmets which seems a bit heavier and hotter
than a standard one so I have been counting on this event being a bit
tougher when I try it actually wearing the lid. By the way, if anyone
is interested, the mirror helmet gets a thumbs down from me, for the
mirror to be pointed at the right angle the helmet needs to be pulled
down quite far over your forehead, obscuring more of the front than it
shows up at the back. Different people, riding positions, head
shapes, may have different experiences.

The vaseline sounds like a good idea and I think I'll try it. Since
putting a buff or hat under the helmet seems to only make things worse
(my forehead sweat glands go in to over-compensation mode) I'm
intending to bring a handkerchief with me to dry my forehead off every
now and again. There's any number of tempting looking rivers,
waterfalls and tarns that we could cool off in too of course. :)

Eric

elyob
June 11th 04, 11:46 AM
"Eric Nolan" > wrote in message
om...
> The vaseline sounds like a good idea and I think I'll try it. Since
> putting a buff or hat under the helmet seems to only make things worse
> (my forehead sweat glands go in to over-compensation mode) I'm
> intending to bring a handkerchief with me to dry my forehead off every
> now and again. There's any number of tempting looking rivers,
> waterfalls and tarns that we could cool off in too of course. :)

I often wear my buff on my wrist to give a quick wipe of my brow. It's
comfortable and easy.

tony R
June 11th 04, 09:39 PM
"Eric Nolan" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm doing this as well. Although I will almost certainly do the 100km
> (actually substantially more than that) version since I'm dubious
> about my ability to do the whole thing in one go.

Ah, you noticed too. I reckon the 100 course is more like 115/120. I'm a
little worried the 200 may be a underestimated too. I'll find out soon
enough. I see the weather forecast has the temperature downgraded to a more
comfortable 16 degrees so good news on the sweaty helmets front.
Good luck for Sunday,

tony R.

tony R
June 12th 04, 09:22 AM
"Simonb" > wrote in message
.. .
> tony R wrote:
>
> > There's one possible problem that maybe someone can help me with. When
> > climbing my head sweats a lot.
>
> Take off your helmet for the climbs? Or 'accidentally' leave it at home.

I was advised this wouldn't be acceptable as by entering the event I'd
agreed to their conditions. However I notice that no-one asked this
gentleman to jump off last year :-)
http://www.wicklow200.ie/2003/photos/album3/pages/seankelly2.htm

tony R.

Google