PDA

View Full Version : Tyres

Graham
June 11th 04, 10:47 PM
I'm looking for opinions/recommendations for MTB slick/semi-slick tyres.

TIA

Graham

Paul - xxx
June 11th 04, 10:57 PM
Graham posted:
> I'm looking for opinions/recommendations for MTB slick/semi-slick tyres.

I like semi's for general use.

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

David Waters
June 12th 04, 01:30 AM
Paul - xxx wrote:
> Graham posted:
>
>>I'm looking for opinions/recommendations for MTB slick/semi-slick tyres.
>

> I like semi's for general use.

I am using conti Grand Prix's. Very fast tyres, very good handling. A
******* to fit properly and may not fit you rims. (a little bit too
narrow for mine tbh but i just about get away with it..)

Zog The Undeniable
June 12th 04, 08:52 AM
Graham wrote:

> I'm looking for opinions/recommendations for MTB slick/semi-slick tyres.

Vredestein S-Licks. Extremely grippy, wear out fairly quickly on the
back but you should still get over 2,000 miles from a pair. Almost
puncture-proof.

Pete Biggs
June 12th 04, 10:28 AM
Graham wrote:
> I'm looking for opinions/recommendations for MTB slick/semi-slick
> tyres.

Schwalbe City Jet.

~PB

Paul - xxx
June 12th 04, 10:36 AM
David Waters posted:
> Paul - xxx wrote:
>> Graham posted:
>>
>>> I'm looking for opinions/recommendations for MTB slick/semi-slick tyres.
>>

>> I like semi's for general use.
>>

> I am using conti Grand Prix's. Very fast tyres, very good handling. A
> ******* to fit properly and may not fit you rims. (a little bit too
> narrow for mine tbh but i just about get away with it..)

Bugger .. forgot to say what I use, they are also Conti GP's .. small world
... ;) My rims are a narrow width so I have few problems fitting them. I
just use a different wheelset when truly off-roading or racing .. ;)

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

Mark South
June 12th 04, 11:42 AM
"Pete Biggs" > wrote in message
> Graham wrote:
> > I'm looking for opinions/recommendations for MTB slick/semi-slick
> > tyres.
>
> Schwalbe City Jet.

I always second Pete's recommendation of these. Nicest tyres I've ridden bar
none. Astoundingly good value too. Especially since my LBS had them on offer
at a pair for 15 quid.
--
Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

David Waters
June 12th 04, 12:45 PM
Paul - xxx wrote:

> David Waters posted:
>
>>Paul - xxx wrote:
>>
>>>Graham posted:

>>>I like semi's for general use.
>>>

>>I am using conti Grand Prix's. Very fast tyres, very good handling. A
>>******* to fit properly and may not fit you rims. (a little bit too
>>narrow for mine tbh but i just about get away with it..)
>

> Bugger .. forgot to say what I use, they are also Conti GP's .. small world
> .. ;) My rims are a narrow width so I have few problems fitting them. I
> just use a different wheelset when truly off-roading or racing .. ;)

what rims are you using with the contis? My rims are worn out so I will
use whatever you are using!

Dave Larrington
June 14th 04, 12:08 PM
Graham wrote:

> I'm looking for opinions/recommendations for MTB slick/semi-slick
> tyres.

Schwalbe Stelvios are screamingly fast but a possibly a tad fragile. I've
got S-Licks on my MTB at present, which are pretty nice, and a Specialized
Fat Boy on the back of the Speedmachine. But that's only done 14 km so far,
so comments are not yet available.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Paul - xxx
June 14th 04, 02:14 PM
David Waters posted:
> Paul - xxx wrote:
>
>> David Waters posted:

>>> I am using conti Grand Prix's. Very fast tyres, very good handling. A
>>> ******* to fit properly and may not fit you rims. (a little bit too
>>> narrow for mine tbh but i just about get away with it..)
>>

>> Bugger .. forgot to say what I use, they are also Conti GP's .. small
>> world .. ;) My rims are a narrow width so I have few problems fitting
>> them. I just use a different wheelset when truly off-roading or racing
>> .. ;)
>>

> what rims are you using with the contis? My rims are worn out so I will
> use whatever you are using!

El-cheapo's from Decathlon (We used to live around the corner from the
Nottingham branch) .. dunno the names .. and won't find out till tonight,
but I'll post back .. ;)

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

Paul - xxx
June 14th 04, 07:08 PM
Paul - xxx posted:
> David Waters posted:
>> Paul - xxx wrote:
>>
>>> David Waters posted:

>>> Bugger .. forgot to say what I use, they are also Conti GP's .. small
>>> world .. ;) My rims are a narrow width so I have few problems fitting
>>> them. I just use a different wheelset when truly off-roading or racing
>>> .. ;)
>>>

>> what rims are you using with the contis? My rims are worn out so I will
>> use whatever you are using!
>
> El-cheapo's from Decathlon (We used to live around the corner from the
> Nottingham branch) .. dunno the names .. and won't find out till tonight,
> but I'll post back .. ;)

Mavic 237 559 x 17 is what's marked on the rims .. ;) I believe they were a
reasonable rim a few years back, when I got them, but they're a tad worn
now, and probably due for replacement as and when .. ;)

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

Google