PDA

View Full Version : Help re gearchange - Shimano 105

AC
June 12th 04, 08:34 PM
Hi,

Can anyone help;

Problem: Shifting down (ie bigger cogs on backwheel) sometimes takes more
than 1 flick of the lever - chain is moved out of alignment but not enough
to move cogs. Usually have to give a small second go, but if I move the
lever too much, it ends up causing a move up 2 gogs. Problem is
intermittent. No probs changing down

Only started a couple of weeks ago. Before that, all was well

I started using Halfords General Purpose Cycle Maintenance Spray to
lubricate chain. This may be coincidence. Bike is new (to me) but has done
about 5.5k miles in

Any ideas? Its a real pain as everything was fine for the first month of
ownership

--
Cheers

AC

tony R
June 12th 04, 09:06 PM
"AC" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone help;
>
> Problem: Shifting down (ie bigger cogs on backwheel) sometimes takes
more
> than 1 flick of the lever - chain is moved out of alignment but not enough
> to move cogs. Usually have to give a small second go, but if I move the
> lever too much, it ends up causing a move up 2 gogs. Problem is
> intermittent. No probs changing down
>
> Only started a couple of weeks ago. Before that, all was well
>
> I started using Halfords General Purpose Cycle Maintenance Spray to
> lubricate chain. This may be coincidence. Bike is new (to me) but has done
> about 5.5k miles in
>
> Any ideas? Its a real pain as everything was fine for the first month of
> ownership
>
> --
> Cheers
>
> AC

First thing I'd try would be to have a fiddle with the adjusting barrel on
your derailleur. Maybe the tension on your gear cable is too tight. Turn the
barrel clockwise 1/4 turn at a time, testing the shifting after each 1/4,
and see if this helps.

tony R.

Simonb
June 12th 04, 09:07 PM
tony R wrote:

> First thing I'd try would be to have a fiddle with the adjusting
> barrel on your derailleur. Maybe the tension on your gear cable is
> too tight. Turn the barrel clockwise 1/4 turn at a time, testing the
> shifting after each 1/4, and see if this helps.

Anti-clockwise, surely? OP is having probs shifting down. Probably cable
stretch.

tony R
June 12th 04, 09:12 PM
"tony R" > wrote in message

> "AC" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can anyone help;
> >
> > Problem: Shifting down (ie bigger cogs on backwheel) sometimes takes
> more
> > than 1 flick of the lever - chain is moved out of alignment but not
enough
> > to move cogs. Usually have to give a small second go, but if I move the
> > lever too much, it ends up causing a move up 2 gogs. Problem is
> > intermittent. No probs changing down
> >
> > Only started a couple of weeks ago. Before that, all was well
> >
> > I started using Halfords General Purpose Cycle Maintenance Spray to
> > lubricate chain. This may be coincidence. Bike is new (to me) but has
done
> > about 5.5k miles in
> >
> > Any ideas? Its a real pain as everything was fine for the first month of
> > ownership
> >
> > --
> > Cheers
> >
> > AC
>
> First thing I'd try would be to have a fiddle with the adjusting barrel on
> your derailleur. Maybe the tension on your gear cable is too tight. Turn
the
> barrel clockwise 1/4 turn at a time, testing the shifting after each 1/4,
> and see if this helps.

Having just reread this I think I've got it arse about face. You mean the
problem occurs when moving from smaller to larger sprockets don't you? In
this case the tension might be too loose and you need to do the adjusting
anti-clockwise........I think.
Ooops,

tony R.

tony R
June 12th 04, 09:14 PM
"Simonb" > wrote in message
.. .
> tony R wrote:
>
> > First thing I'd try would be to have a fiddle with the adjusting
> > barrel on your derailleur. Maybe the tension on your gear cable is
> > too tight. Turn the barrel clockwise 1/4 turn at a time, testing the
> > shifting after each 1/4, and see if this helps.
>
> Anti-clockwise, surely? OP is having probs shifting down. Probably cable
> stretch.

You beat me to it...

tony R.

Google