PDA

View Full Version : Road wildlife (not killed)

Mike Causer
June 13th 04, 07:33 PM
Yesterday evening a Barn Owl was hawking along a ditch within 10m of me,
and this afternoon a Little Owl crossed in front. Oh, and last Sunday
a Marsh Harrier was scanning a field alongside the road.

Wildlife is good on the Fen edge, which makes me think I'll include a
part-sig.

Mike
--
Flood the fen again! - Wicken Fen enlargement - http://www.wicken.org.uk

[Not Responding]
June 13th 04, 07:58 PM
On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 19:33:57 +0100, Mike Causer
> wrote:

>Yesterday evening a Barn Owl was hawking along a ditch within 10m of me,
>and this afternoon a Little Owl crossed in front. Oh, and last Sunday
>a Marsh Harrier was scanning a field alongside the road.
>

>Wildlife is good on the Fen edge, which makes me think I'll include a
>part-sig.

Wicken Fen. I spent much of my youth hanging around places near Holme.
Still got a soft spot for the Fens and go back often.

>Mike

Simon Brooke
June 13th 04, 08:05 PM
in message <i_1zc.650$jj2.20@newsfe1-win>, Mike Causer
') wrote:

> Yesterday evening a Barn Owl was hawking along a ditch within 10m of
> me,
> and this afternoon a Little Owl crossed in front. Oh, and last
> Sunday a Marsh Harrier was scanning a field alongside the road.
>
> Wildlife is good on the Fen edge, which makes me think I'll include a
> part-sig.

Yup. Yesterday, riding up the old railway to Loch Skerrow, it was
dragonflies - the size of swallows, and numbering in hundreds. On
looking them up since we got home they were golden ringed dragonflies
but even for that normally large species they were big. Also a red kite
and dozens of butterflies. Getting up into the wild country where
people rarely go and insecticides have never been used it's amazing
what you see - although I suspect it's no more than my parents
generation before the war saw everywhere as children.

;; not so much a refugee from reality, more a bogus
;; asylum seeker

JBB
June 13th 04, 09:45 PM
"Mike Causer" > wrote in message
> Yesterday evening a Barn Owl was hawking along a ditch within 10m of me,
> and this afternoon a Little Owl crossed in front. Oh, and last Sunday
> a Marsh Harrier was scanning a field alongside the road.
>

> Wildlife is good on the Fen edge, which makes me think I'll include a
> part-sig.
>

> Mike
> --
> Flood the fen again! - Wicken Fen enlargement - http://www.wicken.org.uk

Pevensy marshes last week - innumerable small rabbits on the road plus baby
blue tits and chaffinches trying to flyand two jeuvenile foxes all in the
space of about 6 miles. I can't remember having to do so much wildlife
advoidance for ages.

Julia

Tom Anderson
June 14th 04, 07:32 AM
Mike Causer wrote:

> Yesterday evening a Barn Owl was hawking along a ditch within 10m of me,
> and this afternoon a Little Owl crossed in front. Oh, and last Sunday
> a Marsh Harrier was scanning a field alongside the road.
>

> Wildlife is good on the Fen edge, which makes me think I'll include a
> part-sig.
>

> Mike

Pulled in to a layby for a drink and saw a crow trying to take off with
a large rabbit in its beak. We startled it and it dropped its lunch and
flew away. The rabbit ran off into a ditch.

--
replace deadspam with btinternet to reply
Tom Anderson

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home