PDA

View Full Version : Hub gear problems

Philip THornton-Evison
June 15th 04, 11:13 AM
Ye olde 5 speed Sturmey Archer S2 hub on my Cheltenham Pedersen is
feeling its age. I' like to fit a spanky new 7 speed hub of some variety
but I'm a bit concerned about the width between the rear dropouts. Its
as near as dammit 114mm, but I have a feeling that some of the current
hubs require a wider spacing than this.
Any ideas/suggestions/observations would be most welcome before I go and
splash the cash on something that doesn't fit :-)

Regards

Philip Thornton-Evison

Bryan
June 15th 04, 11:47 AM
Philip Thornton wrote:
> Ye olde 5 speed Sturmey Archer S2 hub on my Cheltenham Pedersen is
> feeling its age. I' like to fit a spanky new 7 speed hub of some variety
> but I'm a bit concerned about the width between the rear dropouts. Its
> as near as dammit 114mm, but I have a feeling that some of the current
> hubs require a wider spacing than this. Any
> ideas/suggestions/observations would be most welcome before I go and
> splash the cash on something that doesn't fit :-)
> Regards
> Philip Thornton-Evison

Well according to http://www.algonet.se/~osarkab/mart_1/mltn-
orbit/files_moo/Hubgearspecs.html you are correct in thinking that most
hub gears beed a wider OLN. Assuming the frame is steel you can either
get a good LBS/frame builder to cold set the frame or do it yourself
following Sheldon's advice (www.sheldonbrown.com). (you won;t be able to
force teh rear triangle apart by hand this far unfortunately.

Sorry I can't be of more help

Bryan

--

Pete Biggs
June 15th 04, 11:48 AM
Philip THornton-Evison wrote:
> Ye olde 5 speed Sturmey Archer S2 hub on my Cheltenham Pedersen is
> feeling its age. I' like to fit a spanky new 7 speed hub of some
> variety but I'm a bit concerned about the width between the rear
> dropouts. Its as near as dammit 114mm, but I have a feeling that some
> of the current hubs require a wider spacing than this.
> Any ideas/suggestions/observations would be most welcome before I go
> and splash the cash on something that doesn't fit :-)

If it does come to that, you may be able to get the frame "spread" (ie.
bent!) to fit the hub. See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

~PB

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home