Orienteer
June 15th 04, 08:33 PM
"Zog The Undeniable" > wrote in message
news:40cf2e74.0@entanet...
> Are you having a week off, Rich?

You can read his daily reports at http://www.artybee.net/jogle/

Richard Bates
June 21st 04, 05:27 PM
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:33:01 GMT, "Orienteer"
> wrote:

>"Zog The Undeniable" > wrote in message
>> Are you having a week off, Rich?
>
>You can read his daily reports at http://www.artybee.net/jogle/

Hmmm, as I thought - no messages have been getting through. Odd that.

Anyway, finished yesterday at 18:47. Bought myself a beer with a
Scottish five pound note that I'd saved from JOG to celebrate.
--
Young Musician of the Year 2004 was a fiddle

Ambrose Nankivell
June 21st 04, 05:37 PM
In ,
Richard Bates > typed:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:33:01 GMT, "Orienteer"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Zog The Undeniable" > wrote in message
>>> Are you having a week off, Rich?
>>
>> You can read his daily reports at http://www.artybee.net/jogle/
>>

> Hmmm, as I thought - no messages have been getting through. Odd that.
>
> Anyway, finished yesterday at 18:47. Bought myself a beer with a
> Scottish five pound note that I'd saved from JOG to celebrate.

Well done. What was your favourite bit of the country?

Richard Bates
June 21st 04, 08:59 PM
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:37:00 +0100, "Ambrose Nankivell"
> wrote:

>Well done. What was your favourite bit of the country?

There wasn't one specific place. I loved the friendliness of the
highlands, the atmosphere of Rannoch Moor, the tranquility of Alston
Moor, the splendour of Clifton, the descent into Chapel-en-le-Frith,
the relaxedness of Glastonbury, the effortlessness of Tissington to
Ashbourne...

I could go on. Almost everywhere had something that will stick in my
memory forever. Very few places gave me a negative feeling (Camborne I
found was a very depressing "hole" but it *was* Sunday). Helmsdale YHA
had a particularly memorable moment but that is totally beyond the
scope of a cycling newsgroup ;-)

For me it was a no-rush journey with the emphasis on seeking out,
exploring and enjoying new places, rather than rushing to impress my
friends with some phenomenal average speed. I did rush a little
towards the very end but that was oddly due to the fact that I was
getting tired.

I would love to return to Scotland again, especially the highlands,
but I would also love to explore southern England again.

It was great to escape the noise of Birmingham City and be alone with
the natural world which I know very little about. I don't know one
bird from another, or one tree from another, but I still enjoyed
admiring and studying them.

I think I would have been just as happy doing it on foot.

I found that writing my journal each night provided me with the focus
needed to get motivated on a couple of occasions.

I took in excess of 800 photographs, a very small selection of which
will take a place in my journal.

--
Young Musician of the Year 2004 was a fiddle

Simon Brooke
June 21st 04, 09:05 PM
in message >, Richard Bates
') wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:33:01 GMT, "Orienteer"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Zog The Undeniable" > wrote in message
>>> Are you having a week off, Rich?
>>
>>You can read his daily reports at http://www.artybee.net/jogle/
>>
> Hmmm, as I thought - no messages have been getting through. Odd that.
>
> Anyway, finished yesterday at 18:47. Bought myself a beer with a
> Scottish five pound note that I'd saved from JOG to celebrate.

Congratulations!

I have been reading (and much enjoying) your progress reports.

;; not so much a refugee from reality, more a bogus
;; asylum seeker

Simonb
June 22nd 04, 09:38 AM
Richard Bates wrote:

> Helmsdale YHA
> had a particularly memorable moment but that is totally beyond the
> scope of a cycling newsgroup ;-)

Oh, go on!

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home