PDA

View Full Version : LBS info scotland

bob watkinson
June 17th 04, 11:17 AM
Anybody know of any good LBS in scotland who stock tandems and or road bike
solos?

Many thanks, Bob

Peter Clinch
June 17th 04, 11:36 AM
bob watkinson wrote:
> Anybody know of any good LBS in scotland who stock tandems and or road bike
> solos?

Scotland is pretty big for everything in it to be "local"... There's no
shortage of shops that sell stuff for roadies (i.e., Velo Ecosse, EBC,
Nicholsons, Alpine etc), though tandems seem more unusual and I can't
think of anywhere offhand that does a selection as a permanent stock
feature, though if you fancy a not entirely standard tandem like the
Hase Pino then Kinetics in Glasgow are dealers and I think Ben's got a
demo one in at the mo. Having said that, any Dawes dealer should be
able to get you a G-twin or whatever.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Simon Brooke
June 17th 04, 02:08 PM
in message >, bob watkinson
') wrote:

> Anybody know of any good LBS in scotland who stock tandems and or road
> bike solos?

All together now: Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op. Mind you, good though EBC
are, there are plenty of others who are also good, so if you would say
where you are we could probably give you a more local recommendation.

;; my other religion is Emacs

bob watkinson
June 17th 04, 02:16 PM
I'm in Blackford near Auchterarder so Edinburgh not too bad

"Simon Brooke" > wrote in message
> in message >, bob watkinson
> ') wrote:
>
> > Anybody know of any good LBS in scotland who stock tandems and or road
> > bike solos?
>
> All together now: Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op. Mind you, good though EBC
> are, there are plenty of others who are also good, so if you would say
> where you are we could probably give you a more local recommendation.
>
> --
> (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
>
> ;; my other religion is Emacs

Peter Clinch
June 17th 04, 02:27 PM
bob watkinson wrote:
> I'm in Blackford near Auchterarder so Edinburgh not too bad

> "Simon Brooke" > wrote in message

>>All together now: Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op. Mind you, good though EBC
>>are, there are plenty of others who are also good, so if you would say
>>where you are we could probably give you a more local recommendation.

And in Embra, once you're at EBC then Velo Ecosse are at most a couple
of hundred meters away with Biketrax just around the corner from them.
All good shops.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

bob watkinson
June 17th 04, 02:45 PM
thanks guys

"Peter Clinch" > wrote in message
> bob watkinson wrote:
> > I'm in Blackford near Auchterarder so Edinburgh not too bad
>
> > "Simon Brooke" > wrote in message
>
> >>All together now: Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op. Mind you, good though EBC
> >>are, there are plenty of others who are also good, so if you would say
> >>where you are we could probably give you a more local recommendation.
>
> And in Embra, once you're at EBC then Velo Ecosse are at most a couple
> of hundred meters away with Biketrax just around the corner from them.
> All good shops.
>
> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
> Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
> Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
> net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Graeme
June 17th 04, 03:01 PM
"bob watkinson" > wrote in
:

> Anybody know of any good LBS in scotland who stock tandems and or road
> bike solos?

I know it comes slightly outside the area, but Tweed Cycles in Bridge
Street in Berwick Upon Tweed (hey, it *used* to be part of Scotland [1])
are an excellent wee shop. They often have a great selection of bikes,
including special needs bikes (but they don't have them in stock much as
they take up a lot of room with little turnover). They had a tandem last
time I was there a few months back and often have the odd 'bent or two.

Whenever I'm in Berwick I always go in for a little browse and rack up a
large credit card bill (in my mind only unfortunately).

Just across the road is the excellent "Green Shop". Not bike related, but
a very pleasant "knit your own muesli" type food & fair-trade goods shop.
They have some excellent local produce and, to bring it back to slightly
more on topic, the cherry slices from Heatherslaw Mill make excellent
high energy snacks for cycling. :-)

Graeme

[1] And should be again! :-)

iarocu
June 17th 04, 08:12 PM
"bob watkinson" > wrote in message >...
> I'm in Blackford near Auchterarder so Edinburgh not too bad

Fairly local to you is Wheels Cycling Centre, Callander. There mainly
into hiring bikes but they are a tandem dealer. They do a few makes
although don't carry much tandem stock. I bought their Dawes Discovery
Twin demo from them.

http://www.members.aol.com/scotcycle/index.htm

Iain

Gawnsoft
June 17th 04, 08:29 PM
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:17:25 +0100, "bob watkinson"
> wrote (more or less):

>Anybody know of any good LBS in scotland who stock tandems and or road bike
>solos?
>
>Many thanks, Bob

Biketrax in Ediburgh are also well worth a visit, tho' the 'wacky
bikes' display is a load of foldables at the mo', rather than tandems.

Velo Ecosse, MacDonalds, Biketrax and Edinburgh Bike Co-op are all
easily walkable from each other.

--
Cheers,
Euan

Simon Brooke
June 17th 04, 10:35 PM
in message >, iarocu
') wrote:

> "bob watkinson" > wrote in message
>> I'm in Blackford near Auchterarder so Edinburgh not too bad
>>
> Fairly local to you is Wheels Cycling Centre, Callander. There mainly
> into hiring bikes but they are a tandem dealer. They do a few makes
> although don't carry much tandem stock. I bought their Dawes Discovery
> Twin demo from them.

A long, long, long time ago I ran a nascent bike shop in Callander for
its owner, a local architect. It was at the time the only bike shop. I
wonder if it's the same business.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home