PDA

View Full Version : Stone Me, A Doctor on A Bike

[Not Responding]
June 19th 04, 08:59 PM
The Peterborough local rag reports the astonishing tale of a Doctor
who "took his own medical advice and prescribed a dose of exercise".

Luckily, "he is quite fit and was able to complete his rounds without
having to seek medical assistance"

http://www.peterboroughnow.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=845&ArticleID=809577

The article includes a picture of the good doctor and is interesting,
to me at least, in that HE IS BARE HEADED. Hooray.

The Evening Telegraph assures readers that this oddball is in good
medical company, ending with:

"Famous doctors with unusual means of transport

The flying doctors of Australia became famous after a television soap
was based on them.

The Royal Flying Doctors Service of Australia services rural and
remote areas by providing a comprehensive range of health services to
residents.

Dr Who travelled the universe battling aliens thanks to his tardis. A
new series is currently being planned but, despite speculation as to
who will play the doctor next, he has not yet been named."

Ambrose Nankivell
June 19th 04, 09:09 PM
In ,
[Not Responding] > typed:
> The Peterborough local rag reports the astonishing tale of a Doctor
> who "took his own medical advice and prescribed a dose of exercise".

Amazing. Can't have been me who always got jealous of the nice Cannondale
that one of the GPs at my old practice used have.

I thought

"PATIENTS could not believe their eyes as their doctor arrived for house
calls on a bike."

was the best bit, though. That's amazing.

IIRC, my brother got into the local paper for using his bike on the job, but
I think that there were other reasons as well. He's a special needs
librarian, so he takes books out to people on the bike, naturally.

> "Famous doctors with unusual means of transport
>
> The flying doctors of Australia became famous after a television soap
> was based on them.

Very practical, in the circumstances

> Dr Who travelled the universe battling aliens thanks to his tardis. A
> new series is currently being planned but, despite speculation as to
> who will play the doctor next, he has not yet been named."

Very practical, in the circumstances. Thought it was Eddie Izzard.

Nathaniel Porter
June 19th 04, 09:09 PM
"[Not Responding]" > wrote in message

> Dr Who travelled the universe battling aliens thanks to his tardis. A
> new series is currently being planned but, despite speculation as to
> who will play the doctor next, he has not yet been named."

*cough*http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/news/drwho/2004/04/29/10802.shtml*cough*
:-)

[Not Responding]
June 19th 04, 09:32 PM
On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 21:09:26 +0100, "Ambrose Nankivell"
> wrote:

>In ,
>[Not Responding] > typed:
>> The Peterborough local rag reports the astonishing tale of a Doctor
>> who "took his own medical advice and prescribed a dose of exercise".
>
>Amazing. Can't have been me who always got jealous of the nice Cannondale
>that one of the GPs at my old practice used have.
>
>I thought
>
>"PATIENTS could not believe their eyes as their doctor arrived for house
>calls on a bike."
>
>was the best bit, though. That's amazing.
>
>IIRC, my brother got into the local paper for using his bike on the job,

Gosh, that *is* rather adventurous.

>but
>I think that there were other reasons as well. He's a special needs
>librarian, so he takes books out to people on the bike, naturally.

Oh, I see what you mean.

Ambrose Nankivell
June 19th 04, 10:41 PM
In ,
[Not Responding] > typed:
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 21:09:26 +0100, "Ambrose Nankivell"
> > wrote:
>> IIRC, my brother got into the local paper for using his bike on the
>> job,
>
> Gosh, that *is* rather adventurous.

He's an occasional lurker here, too. *blushes*
Sorry Baz

Daniel Barlow
June 20th 04, 01:13 PM
"Ambrose Nankivell" > writes:

> "PATIENTS could not believe their eyes as their doctor arrived for house
> calls on a bike."
>
> was the best bit, though. That's amazing.

It was incredible that he was on a bike, or just that he was doing
house calls?

-dan

--
"please make sure that the person is your friend before you confirm"

Terry
June 21st 04, 10:23 AM
> It was incredible that he was on a bike, or just that he was doing
> house calls?

I live and and work as a gp in a hilly area and both doctors at our
practice have done a substantial proportion of our work on bicycles
for about 10 years.
I did a hundred mile charity ride yesterday and had the impression
that everyone there was a doctor or teacher.Certainly the group I
finished with turned out to be all doctors, and we knew each other by
phone and letters but not by sight.
There were two windcheeters owned by a doctor and a hurricane .

I find it surprising and frustrating that the public might be unaware
that so many doctors cycle (if only for fun).That newspaper article
seems to be very badly informed.

TerryJ

Graeme
June 21st 04, 11:03 AM
(Terry) wrote in news:a01ac447.0406210123.45d955e7
@posting.google.com:

> I find it surprising and frustrating that the public might be unaware
> that so many doctors cycle (if only for fun)

When I lived in Edinburgh I used to see my GP out on his bike quite often.
He managed to make me feel quite guilty when we saw each other in the local
B&Q car park. We lived very close to each other and he'd come by bike, I'd
driven. Mind you, I was buying a couple of 10' lengths of wood so I suppose
that is a reasonable excuse :-]

Graeme

David Hansen
June 21st 04, 02:02 PM
On 21 Jun 2004 02:23:37 -0700 someone who may be
(Terry) wrote this:-

>I find it surprising and frustrating that the public might be unaware
>that so many doctors cycle (if only for fun).

As a member of the public I am aware that some doctors cycle. I know
a few.

However, I also know that most of them are serial motorists.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

Ambrose Nankivell
June 22nd 04, 09:21 PM
In ,

> My grandfather, a country GP, cycled everywhere and refused to drive
> because he said that cars killed their drivers through lack of
> exercise. But his wives insisted on a car for the kids, shopping,
> etc.. Wives? Yes, he outlived all three. Died at the age of 96. No
> doubt he would have lived even longer had he not been, like Freud and
> some other doctors of the time, a cocaine addict.

What's so unhealthy about a controlled cocaine habit? Are there any medical
effects assuming the patient still takes good care of their physical and
mental health?

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home