PDA

View Full Version : Kent cycling - West Malling - Tunbridge Wells

Fran
June 20th 04, 02:26 PM
1:08:42 - is that a decent time for the above route on a summer's day
with a slight headwind most of the way? I followed the A228 down to
Tunbridge Wells, and that time was door to door from the centre of
West Malling to the Greyhound on Upper Grovenor Road. It worked out as
25.72k.

I'm just getting in to cycling, normally go to the gym about three
times a week although I haven't been for the last month because of a
groin then a shoulder injury, so am still trying to get back into
shape. I'm looking to alternate cycling and gym work on a daily basis
(with two rest days per week) but this is only my second time out on
the bike and I've no idea what I should be looking to do.

Also, I'd like to join a club with a view to racing next year - any
takers?:)

Franny

MartinM
June 20th 04, 08:06 PM
(Fran) wrote in message >...
> 1:08:42 - is that a decent time for the above route on a summer's day
> with a slight headwind most of the way? I followed the A228 down to
> Tunbridge Wells, and that time was door to door from the centre of
> West Malling to the Greyhound on Upper Grovenor Road. It worked out as
> 25.72k.
>
> I'm just getting in to cycling, normally go to the gym about three
> times a week although I haven't been for the last month because of a
> groin then a shoulder injury, so am still trying to get back into
> shape. I'm looking to alternate cycling and gym work on a daily basis
> (with two rest days per week) but this is only my second time out on
> the bike and I've no idea what I should be looking to do.
>
> Also, I'd like to join a club with a view to racing next year - any
> takers?:)
>
> Franny

Southborough and district Wheelers?

davek
June 20th 04, 11:17 PM
Fran:
> 1:08:42 - is that a decent time for the above route on a summer's day
> with a slight headwind most of the way?

I don't know the exact mileage off the top of my head, but it sounds like a
reasonable pace. Neither very fast nor very slow.

> Also, I'd like to join a club with a view to racing next year - any
> takers?:)

San Fairy Ann, based in Maidstone, would probably be a good club to join -
they do a lot of competitive stuff but they also have a core of
non-competitive riders and seem to take pride in being a very sociable club.

Here's their website: http://www.sfacc.co.uk/home.htm

Good luck with the cycling!

d.

Fran
June 21st 04, 05:07 PM
"davek" > wrote in message >...
> Fran:
> > 1:08:42 - is that a decent time for the above route on a summer's day
> > with a slight headwind most of the way?
>
> I don't know the exact mileage off the top of my head, but it sounds like a
> reasonable pace. Neither very fast nor very slow.
>
> > Also, I'd like to join a club with a view to racing next year - any
> > takers?:)
>
> San Fairy Ann, based in Maidstone, would probably be a good club to join -
> they do a lot of competitive stuff but they also have a core of
> non-competitive riders and seem to take pride in being a very sociable club.
>
> Here's their website: http://www.sfacc.co.uk/home.htm
>
> Good luck with the cycling!
>
> d.

Thanks guys. I may go with Southborough & District, but then I'm meant
to move to West Malling soon and so SFA may be closer. We'll see:)

The journey distance yesterday was 25.72k, door to door. The annoying
thing is that I got to Tunbridge Wells that car dealership just as you
turn into Pembury) at 56:45 but then wasn't able to cycle very fast
for the last few k as my bike seemed to have a creaking noise coming
from the pedals, not sure what it was. So I rode the rest of the way
very gently. Not sure I'd have taken much time off, but I'm sure it
added two or three minutes to my time.

Thanks for the good luck message - I'm really only starting, and if I
stick with it then I know I could easily beat 1:08 - especially since,
apart from crap weather days, I'll be doing that route twice a day
five days a week to and fro work!

Fran

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home