PDA

View Full Version : London to Brighton and the trains ...

elyob
June 20th 04, 11:23 PM
So, I decided last year I'd never do it again .. and it was my first time. I
presume the new "no bikes on trains" was a bad thing .. ? I applaud the
doing it thing, but just know that there are so many other events a year
that I'd enjoy, the L2B comes last now.

MartinM
June 21st 04, 07:52 AM
"elyob" > wrote in message >...
> So, I decided last year I'd never do it again .. and it was my first time. I
> presume the new "no bikes on trains" was a bad thing .. ? I applaud the
> doing it thing, but just know that there are so many other events a year
> that I'd enjoy, the L2B comes last now.

virtually everyone seemed to be coming back by car or with bikes in
the back of vans. So hardly eco-friendly,the IOW and other circular
rides are better in that respect.

Zog The Undeniable
June 21st 04, 07:29 PM
elyob wrote:

> So, I decided last year I'd never do it again .. and it was my first time. I
> presume the new "no bikes on trains" was a bad thing .. ? I applaud the
> doing it thing, but just know that there are so many other events a year
> that I'd enjoy, the L2B comes last now.

Of course, if you were hard you'd ride back ;-)

Tony Raven
June 21st 04, 07:30 PM
Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> elyob wrote:
>
>> So, I decided last year I'd never do it again .. and it was my first time.
>> I presume the new "no bikes on trains" was a bad thing .. ? I applaud the
>> doing it thing, but just know that there are so many other events a year
>> that I'd enjoy, the L2B comes last now.
>>

> Of course, if you were hard you'd ride back ;-)

Is this a good time to mention Bromptons?

Tony

Ambrose Nankivell
June 21st 04, 07:42 PM
In ,
Tony Raven > typed:
> Zog The Undeniable wrote:
>> elyob wrote:
>>
>>> So, I decided last year I'd never do it again .. and it was my
>>> first time. I presume the new "no bikes on trains" was a bad thing
>>> .. ? I applaud the doing it thing, but just know that there are so
>>> many other events a year that I'd enjoy, the L2B comes last now.
>>>

>> Of course, if you were hard you'd ride back ;-)
>
> Is this a good time to mention Bromptons?

Yeah, if you were hard, you'd ride it on a Brompton.

(doesn't really get on with Bromptons)

Tumbleweed
June 21st 04, 08:09 PM
"Ambrose Nankivell" > wrote in message
> In ,
> Tony Raven > typed:
> > Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> >> Of course, if you were hard you'd ride back ;-)
> >
> > Is this a good time to mention Bromptons?
>
> Yeah, if you were hard, you'd ride it on a Brompton.

Yes one of my depressing moments was being overtaken by someone on a
brompton or similar. That and Scooby-Doo :-)

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Tim Hall
June 21st 04, 10:46 PM
On 20 Jun 2004 23:52:31 -0700, (MartinM) wrote:

>"elyob" > wrote in message >...
>> So, I decided last year I'd never do it again .. and it was my first time. I
>> presume the new "no bikes on trains" was a bad thing .. ? I applaud the
>> doing it thing, but just know that there are so many other events a year
>> that I'd enjoy, the L2B comes last now.
>
>virtually everyone seemed to be coming back by car or with bikes in
>the back of vans. So hardly eco-friendly,the IOW and other circular
>rides are better in that respect.

I was cycling elsewhere on Sunday (East Sussex DA Southdowns
Randonnee). However thanks to Southern Trains not allowing bikes on
trains out of Brighton, I couldn't take the train to Lewes and cycle
to Ringmer. Which meant I had to drive. Going down the A23 I was
amazed at the number of southbound cars with empty cycle racks, racing
down from Clapham presumably.

Tim
--
For those who have trouble distinguishing, cynicsm, sarcasm, humour etc,
try mentally inserting smilies thoughout my post until it either

(Jon Senior urc)

JBB
June 22nd 04, 02:09 AM
"Tim Hall" > wrote in message
> On 20 Jun 2004 23:52:31 -0700, (MartinM) wrote:
>
> >"elyob" > wrote in message
>
> I was cycling elsewhere on Sunday (East Sussex DA Southdowns
> Randonnee). However thanks to Southern Trains not allowing bikes on
> trains out of Brighton, I couldn't take the train to Lewes and cycle
> to Ringmer. Which meant I had to drive. Going down the A23 I was
> amazed at the number of southbound cars with empty cycle racks, racing
> down from Clapham presumably.
>

> Tim
> --
> For those who have trouble distinguishing, cynicsm, sarcasm, humour etc,
> try mentally inserting smilies thoughout my post until it either
> matches what you'd like to read, or what you'd expect me to write.
>
> (Jon Senior urc)

Yes, I was hoping to do that one. Instead I found myself out in a hailstorm
in the middle of the Solent doing a club race in preparation for the Round
the Island next week. ( yet another of those sailing cyclists)

Julia

James Shugg
June 22nd 04, 09:32 AM
"Tumbleweed" > wrote in message

> > > Is this a good time to mention Bromptons?
> >
> > Yeah, if you were hard, you'd ride it on a Brompton.
> >

> Yes one of my depressing moments was being overtaken by someone on a
> brompton or similar. That and Scooby-Doo :-)

They are surprisingly fast. I've never ridden one, but have been
impressed by the rate at which they move along. Maybe it's because
they are used by commuters for the short hop between station and
home/office, so the cyclist hasn't had time to get at all tired.

MartinM
June 22nd 04, 10:29 AM
Tim Hall > wrote in message >...
> On 20 Jun 2004 23:52:31 -0700, (MartinM) wrote:
>
> >"elyob" > wrote in message >...
> >> So, I decided last year I'd never do it again .. and it was my first time. I
> >> presume the new "no bikes on trains" was a bad thing .. ? I applaud the
> >> doing it thing, but just know that there are so many other events a year
> >> that I'd enjoy, the L2B comes last now.
> >
> >virtually everyone seemed to be coming back by car or with bikes in
> >the back of vans. So hardly eco-friendly,the IOW and other circular
> >rides are better in that respect.
>
> I was cycling elsewhere on Sunday (East Sussex DA Southdowns
> Randonnee). However thanks to Southern Trains not allowing bikes on
> trains out of Brighton, I couldn't take the train to Lewes and cycle
> to Ringmer. Which meant I had to drive. Going down the A23 I was
> amazed at the number of southbound cars with empty cycle racks, racing
> down from Clapham presumably.

That is a much better ride than L2B, shame I could not get back from
work in time to do it.
ps Diary date, the CTC Southern Challenge 12.9.04 from East Grinstead

David Martin
June 22nd 04, 12:19 PM
On 22/6/04 9:32 am, in article
, "James Shugg"
> wrote:

>>> Yeah, if you were hard, you'd ride it on a Brompton.

>> Yes one of my depressing moments was being overtaken by someone on a
>> brompton

> They are surprisingly fast.

Saw one moving very fast yesterday.. Downhill into the rain.
<waves at Pete>

...d

Jeremy Collins
June 22nd 04, 02:14 PM
Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> elyob wrote:
>
>> So, I decided last year I'd never do it again .. and it was my first
>> time. I
>> presume the new "no bikes on trains" was a bad thing .. ? I applaud the
>> doing it thing, but just know that there are so many other events a year
>> that I'd enjoy, the L2B comes last now.

Can you suggest (or link to) some other events for a newbie based
in the South-East?

Me and some friends got our act together to train for, and complete
the L2B this year, but the logistics of the day were a pain...

Cheers,

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Helen Deborah Vecht
June 22nd 04, 03:51 PM
"Ambrose Nankivell" >typed

> > Is this a good time to mention Bromptons?

> Yeah, if you were hard, you'd ride it on a Brompton.

I did the Gridiron (100km round New Forest cattlegrids) on my Brompton.
I don't suppose it would be bad for L-B...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Tumbleweed
June 22nd 04, 06:30 PM
"James Shugg" > wrote in message
om...

> > > Yeah, if you were hard, you'd ride it on a Brompton.
> > >

> > Yes one of my depressing moments was being overtaken by someone on a
> > brompton or similar. That and Scooby-Doo :-)
>
> They are surprisingly fast. I've never ridden one, but have been
> impressed by the rate at which they move along. Maybe it's because
> they are used by commuters for the short hop between station and
> home/office, so the cyclist hasn't had time to get at all tired.

Is that Bromptons or Scooby-Doos?
:-)
--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Tumbleweed
June 22nd 04, 06:33 PM
"Jeremy Collins" > wrote in message
> Zog The Undeniable wrote:
>
> > elyob wrote:
> >
> >> So, I decided last year I'd never do it again .. and it was my first
> >> time. I
> >> presume the new "no bikes on trains" was a bad thing .. ? I applaud the
> >> doing it thing, but just know that there are so many other events a
year
> >> that I'd enjoy, the L2B comes last now.
>
> Can you suggest (or link to) some other events for a newbie based
> in the South-East?
>
> Me and some friends got our act together to train for, and complete
> the L2B this year, but the logistics of the day were a pain...

My suggestion, which I havent done yet, but will do within the next few
weeks, is to ignore an event because all those people make it unpleasant and
dangerous, and make your own event, such as round the isle of wight which I
understand is permanently signposted (good for a hopeless at maps person
like me).

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Ambrose Nankivell
June 22nd 04, 09:31 PM
In om,
James Shugg > typed:

>>> Yeah, if you were hard, you'd ride it on a Brompton.
>>>

>> Yes one of my depressing moments was being overtaken by someone on a
>> brompton or similar. That and Scooby-Doo :-)
>
> They are surprisingly fast. I've never ridden one, but have been
> impressed by the rate at which they move along. Maybe it's because
> they are used by commuters for the short hop between station and
> home/office, so the cyclist hasn't had time to get at all tired.

I did ten miles on one a couple of months ago and ached all over for a few
days after despite the fact that at the time I was doing lots of miles on my
ordinary bike, and the saddle height was fine for me. It was just the extra
flexing, I think. I guess my non-cycling muscles are actually not in good
shape at the moment, though, so other people may not have the problem, nor
regular users.

MartinM
June 22nd 04, 10:07 PM
Jeremy Collins > wrote in message >...
> Zog The Undeniable wrote:
>
> > elyob wrote:
> >
> >> So, I decided last year I'd never do it again .. and it was my first
> >> time. I
> >> presume the new "no bikes on trains" was a bad thing .. ? I applaud the
> >> doing it thing, but just know that there are so many other events a year
> >> that I'd enjoy, the L2B comes last now.
>
> Can you suggest (or link to) some other events for a newbie based
> in the South-East?
>
> Me and some friends got our act together to train for, and complete
> the L2B this year, but the logistics of the day were a pain...
>
> Cheers,

Still lots going on this year; try:
www.audax.uk.net
www.ctc.org.uk
and for next year:
www.cycleisland.co.uk

all the above are open to anyone
enjoy ;-)

elyob
June 23rd 04, 12:02 AM
"Jeremy Collins" > wrote in message
> Zog The Undeniable wrote:
>
> > elyob wrote:
> >
> >> So, I decided last year I'd never do it again .. and it was my first
> >> time. I
> >> presume the new "no bikes on trains" was a bad thing .. ? I applaud the
> >> doing it thing, but just know that there are so many other events a
year
> >> that I'd enjoy, the L2B comes last now.
>
> Can you suggest (or link to) some other events for a newbie based
> in the South-East?
>
> Me and some friends got our act together to train for, and complete
> the L2B this year, but the logistics of the day were a pain...

http://www.bike-events.com/

London to Windsor is a nice one ... London Bikeathon in July is a bit of a
p*ss up .. http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=145

All good fun ...

May walk the 27th June blindfolded one. Sounds weird.

Jeremy Collins
June 23rd 04, 09:38 AM
elyob wrote:

>>Can you suggest (or link to) some other events for a newbie based
>>in the South-East?
>>
>>Me and some friends got our act together to train for, and complete
>>the L2B this year, but the logistics of the day were a pain...
>>

> http://www.bike-events.com/
>
> London to Windsor is a nice one ... London Bikeathon in July is a bit of a
> p*ss up .. http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=145
>
> All good fun ...

Thanks to everyone for the links! London Bikeathon, London
to Cambridge and London to Windsor all look like good
contenders.

Just got to persuade a couple of the gang that had some
aches, pains and frostbitten knuckles after L2B...

Cheers,

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Jeremy Collins
June 23rd 04, 09:44 AM
Tumbleweed wrote:

> My suggestion, which I havent done yet, but will do within the next few
> weeks, is to ignore an event because all those people make it unpleasant and
> dangerous, and make your own event, such as round the isle of wight which I
> understand is permanently signposted (good for a hopeless at maps person
> like me).

I think we need both TBH. If we hadn't had the L2B to aim for, we
wouldn't have undertaken some of the longer rides we did as
training. Our longest home-made "event" was a 40-miler from
Hitchin to Cambridge, and as a gang of mostly complete noobs
we were quite pleased with ourselves!

Despite the weather and crowds, we all really enjoyed L2B, and
quite fancy another event.

Cheers,

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Tumbleweed
June 23rd 04, 06:05 PM
"Jeremy Collins" > wrote in message
> Tumbleweed wrote:
>
> > My suggestion, which I havent done yet, but will do within the next few
> > weeks, is to ignore an event because all those people make it unpleasant
and
> > dangerous, and make your own event, such as round the isle of wight
which I
> > understand is permanently signposted (good for a hopeless at maps person
> > like me).
>
> I think we need both TBH. If we hadn't had the L2B to aim for, we
> wouldn't have undertaken some of the longer rides we did as
> training. Our longest home-made "event" was a 40-miler from
> Hitchin to Cambridge, and as a gang of mostly complete noobs
> we were quite pleased with ourselves!
>
> Despite the weather and crowds, we all really enjoyed L2B, and
> quite fancy another event.
>
> Cheers,

I am creating my own IOW event, am organising a bunch of people from work to
do it.
Best of both worlds, its a small event and I can choose the date and time,
plus once I've advertised to the whole company I'm doing it I cant back out
:-) so I have to get on with the training.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

MartinM
June 23rd 04, 08:44 PM
Jeremy Collins > wrote in message >...
> Tumbleweed wrote:
>
> > My suggestion, which I havent done yet, but will do within the next few
> > weeks, is to ignore an event because all those people make it unpleasant and
> > dangerous, and make your own event, such as round the isle of wight which I
> > understand is permanently signposted (good for a hopeless at maps person
> > like me).
>
> I think we need both TBH. If we hadn't had the L2B to aim for, we
> wouldn't have undertaken some of the longer rides we did as
> training. Our longest home-made "event" was a 40-miler from
> Hitchin to Cambridge, and as a gang of mostly complete noobs
> we were quite pleased with ourselves!
>
> Despite the weather and crowds, we all really enjoyed L2B, and
> quite fancy another event.

L2B is a great event despite all its problems. The BHF
Oxford-Cambridge looks good, but a logistical nightmare for getting
there/back unless you have a support vehicle.

Danny Colyer
June 23rd 04, 08:58 PM
MartinM wrote:
> L2B is a great event despite all its problems. The BHF
> Oxford-Cambridge looks good, but a logistical nightmare for getting
> there/back unless you have a support vehicle.

I think the same could reasonably said of the L2B.

Tim Woodall
June 23rd 04, 10:06 PM
On 22 Jun 2004 01:32:43 -0700,
James Shugg > wrote:
>> Yes one of my depressing moments was being overtaken by someone on a
>> brompton or similar. That and Scooby-Doo :-)
>
> They are surprisingly fast. I've never ridden one, but have been
> impressed by the rate at which they move along. Maybe it's because
> they are used by commuters for the short hop between station and
> home/office, so the cyclist hasn't had time to get at all tired.

It's all the interval training in London :-)

Since I've been doing my (each way) 2.5 mile, sixteen traffic light
commute, I've noticed that my strength and power at the end of a
longish ride (60miles+) is far better than when I was doing my 8 mile
each way average speed 20mph commute where I could (usually) manage to
avoid stopping (although at a couple of places I typically did have to
slow to <5mph in order to merge into the traffic)

Tim.

and there was light.

MartinM
June 24th 04, 07:20 AM
Danny Colyer > wrote in message >...
> MartinM wrote:
> > L2B is a great event despite all its problems. The BHF
> > Oxford-Cambridge looks good, but a logistical nightmare for getting
> > there/back unless you have a support vehicle.
>
> I think the same could reasonably said of the L2B.

The keenest riders I saw were riding back with 3 bikes between two of
them, the third had gone up to London by train to collect their van! A
support vehicle is all very well if you have friend/family member who
is willing to not do the ride and then drive into Brighton on the
busiest day of the year. The vast majority of bikes coming back up the
A23 were on the back of cars, one or two per car. That's a lot of
extra car mileage. I did London to Oxford once and took the car up the
day before so I could bring three bikes back, it was the only way to
do it, but still much cheaper and quicker than the bus/lorry.

Vivian
June 24th 04, 10:50 AM
I did it for the first time this year, and even though I did enjoy it, I
don't think I'll do it again. The reason has nothing to do with the trains
(I came back by coach and my bike on the back of a FedEx truck), but with
the numbers. Way too many people. We got stuck in "bicycle traffic jams" 3
times, which considerably delayed me (I put on 7 hours, I wanted to do it in
5). I spent a considerable amount of time just waiting. I saw riders with
numbers 28000!! I think they should cut down the numbers. I did the
London to Southend last year and it was a lot more fun and a lot less
people. OK, the weather was great - against the crapy weather this last
Sunday.

It was nice to have my sister and my mum waiting for me in Brighton, despite
the fact that my mother, who's over here from Uruguay for 4 weeks, could not
belive that we can call this SUMMER!!! :-)

Vivian
-------
"We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school".
No Surrender

"elyob" > wrote in message
> So, I decided last year I'd never do it again .. and it was my first time.
> presume the new "no bikes on trains" was a bad thing .. ? I applaud the
> doing it thing, but just know that there are so many other events a year
> that I'd enjoy, the L2B comes last now.

Gawnsoft
June 24th 04, 01:02 PM
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:50:47 +0100, "Vivian" >
wrote (more or less):

>I did it for the first time this year, and even though I did enjoy it, I
>don't think I'll do it again. The reason has nothing to do with the trains
>(I came back by coach and my bike on the back of a FedEx truck), but with
>the numbers. Way too many people. We got stuck in "bicycle traffic jams" 3
>times, which considerably delayed me (I put on 7 hours, I wanted to do it in
>5). I spent a considerable amount of time just waiting. I saw riders with
>numbers 28000!! I think they should cut down the numbers. I did the
>London to Southend last year and it was a lot more fun and a lot less
>people. OK, the weather was great - against the crapy weather this last
>Sunday.
>
>It was nice to have my sister and my mum waiting for me in Brighton, despite
>the fact that my mother, who's over here from Uruguay for 4 weeks, could not
>belive that we can call this SUMMER!!! :-)

Try coming up north - our summery days have been 60-65degF so far!

Of course, that's one reason I came back up north - I couldn't take
the summer heat in London!

--
Cheers,
Euan