PDA

View Full Version : Getting From Heathrow to Stansted with bicycle

Colin B.
August 9th 04, 01:14 AM
Hi,

We will be travelling into Heathrow and need to get from Heathrow
Airport to Stansted Airport with our bicycles (in the middle of a
weekday) to get to the start of a bike tour. What is the easiest way
to do this using bus, train or public transit etc.?

Thanks,

Colin

"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other
forms of
transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure
in
heart." - Iris Murdoch, writer (1919-1999)

Sarah Clatterbuck
August 10th 04, 10:14 PM
"Colin B." > wrote in message news:<%lzRc.72078$T_6.29354@edtnps89>...
> Hi,
>
> We will be travelling into Heathrow and need to get from Heathrow
> Airport to Stansted Airport with our bicycles (in the middle of a
> weekday) to get to the start of a bike tour. What is the easiest way
> to do this using bus, train or public transit etc.?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Colin

Hi Colin,

I believe the only direct way to Sansted from Heathrow is on the
National Express Bus. It will set you back about 15-17 pounds each.
Ouch! We recently did the transfer from Heathrow to Gatwick. There you
have the option of Train-Tube-Train or the Bus. The bus is the more
direct option with less schleping involved. The signage is really bad
at Heathrow to find the bus, so you should just ask at the information
counter.

Best,
Sarah

Chuck Anderson
August 11th 04, 07:10 PM
Colin B. wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We will be travelling into Heathrow and need to get from Heathrow
>Airport to Stansted Airport with our bicycles (in the middle of a
>weekday) to get to the start of a bike tour. What is the easiest way
>to do this using bus, train or public transit etc.?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Colin

Do a search for Stansted here:
http://www.bikeaccess.net/BikeAccess/SelectArea_db.cfm?Q=Airport&Area=UK

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Graham Harrison
August 11th 04, 08:23 PM
If you're thinking of using the bikes as part of the solution then take
Heathrow Express (expensive) to Paddington. To save money cycle from the
airport to either Feltham (if you arrive at T4) or Hayes (any other
terminal), take the train into London (Waterloo or Paddington) cycle across
London to Liverpool Street and then take the train out to Stansted.

There are restrictions about when you can take bikes on trains so check out
www.nationalrail.co.uk/frameset.asp?location=tocs and look for First Great
Western Link (Hayes/Paddington), Heathrow Express, Southwest Trains
(Feltham/Waterloo) and "One" (Stansted).

You can't use the Piccadilly Line of the underground with a bicycle to get
into London.

If you take the coach (bus) check about the bikes, I simply don't know if
they'd accept them. Might be advisable to leave them in bike bags if they
will accept them.

I guess the other option would be to hire a car. It's about 60 miles,
nearly all motorway (freeway) but it's very busy but that's going to depend
on how big the bikes are and how many and....
--
*****
*****The "return to" address embedded in this mail is wrong as an antispam

Google