PDA

View Full Version : Why was cycling not included in the ancient Olympics?

Les Earnest
August 9th 04, 08:37 PM
"Necessity is the mother of invention" according to an old saying.
Bicycles were needed as soon as roads began to be built around 3500 BC.
Technology adequate to build a bike existed by 2000 BC yet the first
proto-bicycle did not appear until more than 3,500 years later. Had the
bicycle been invented earlier, world history would have been quite
different. Why did it take so long for somebody to try balancing on two
wheels?

For a closer look at this and related mysteries go to
http://home.pacbell.net/learnest/cyclops and click on "Why was cycling
not included in the ancient Olympics?"

-Les Earnest

AustinMN
August 9th 04, 09:07 PM
Les Earnest wrote in message:
> "Necessity is the mother of invention" according to an old saying.
> Bicycles were needed as soon as roads began to be built around 3500 BC.
> Technology adequate to build a bike existed by 2000 BC

Did the first high-wheel bicycles use ball/roller bearings? Somehow, I
doubt hard enough bearings existed 4,000 years ago.

Austin

Curtis L. Russell
August 9th 04, 09:23 PM
On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 12:37:49 -0700, Les Earnest >
wrote:

>Why did it take so long for somebody to try balancing on two
>wheels?

I understood that it was from the high death rate of people trying to
blow up high pressure presta tubes before chucks were invented.

Or in more formal times, charles...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

mykal
August 9th 04, 11:43 PM
It's well understood that the persistent Greeks fought desperately to
inflate their bicycle tires by blowing into the presta tubes, only to suffer
innumerable casualties from pulmonary embolisms. While it's doubtlessly true
that this caused a significantly increased mortality rate in the Greek
population, it's simplistic to cite this tragic outcome as being directly
responsible for the demise of the ancient bicycle. Rest assured, the Greeks
were a bold people and not so easily deterred from exploiting the obvious
advantages of the bicycle. Tragically, however, the high death count so
disrupted Greek society that the bicycle wheel was never standardized. Thus,
it remained intractably difficult for the ancient bicyclist to find a tire
that would fit a given wheel. Each presta tube was hand-made to order, and
this took so damn much time that a person had just as well run from one end
of the peninsula to the other, rather than wait.

mCrux

"Curtis L. Russell" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 12:37:49 -0700, Les Earnest >
> wrote:
>
> >Why did it take so long for somebody to try balancing on two
> >wheels?
>
> I understood that it was from the high death rate of people trying to
> blow up high pressure presta tubes before chucks were invented.
>
> Or in more formal times, charles...
>
> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels...

keydates
August 10th 04, 12:38 AM
Maybe they should have used a Schrader valve.

--
keydates

Ilan Vardi
August 10th 04, 03:06 AM
If you've ever tried to ride a bicycle nude, you wouldn't have to ask.

-ilan

Les Earnest > wrote in message >...
> "Necessity is the mother of invention" according to an old saying.
> Bicycles were needed as soon as roads began to be built around 3500 BC.
> Technology adequate to build a bike existed by 2000 BC yet the first
> proto-bicycle did not appear until more than 3,500 years later. Had the
> bicycle been invented earlier, world history would have been quite
> different. Why did it take so long for somebody to try balancing on two
> wheels?
>
> For a closer look at this and related mysteries go to
> http://home.pacbell.net/learnest/cyclops and click on "Why was cycling
> not included in the ancient Olympics?"
>
> -Les Earnest

Ilan Vardi
August 10th 04, 03:25 AM
Les Earnest > wrote in message >...

> different. Why did it take so long for somebody to try balancing on two
> wheels?

First of all, you should ask why didn't people try driving existing 4 wheel
vehicles using human power (pedals not the Fred Flinstone method). Now that
you mention it, the steam engine could have also been invented in Ancient
times. You can check out their technological ideas by looking up Vitruvius.

I don't quite agree with your statement about the advantage of bicycles
in military campaigns. I don't recall too much use for them in the last
world wars. I only know about Dieter http://www.andgor.com/ddieter.html

-ilan

Mike Schwab
August 10th 04, 03:54 AM
http://rapidttp.com/milhist/vol041dm.html
http://www.bibl.u-szeged.hu/bibl/mil/konyvek/fegyver/info/c/caidin_i.html
http://www.io.com/tog/milbicycles.html
http://www.greenspeed.us/wesley_clark.htm

Ilan Vardi wrote:
<snip>
> I don't quite agree with your statement about the advantage of bicycles
> in military campaigns. I don't recall too much use for them in the last
> world wars. I only know about Dieter http://www.andgor.com/ddieter.html
>
> -ilan

Mike Kruger
August 10th 04, 04:21 AM
"Mike Schwab" > wrote in message

> http://www.greenspeed.us/wesley_clark.htm

ROFL!
A great unintentional self-parody.

Carl Sundquist
August 10th 04, 04:22 AM
"Ilan Vardi" > wrote in message

> If you've ever tried to ride a bicycle nude, you wouldn't have to ask.

You've never heard of the Naked Criterium?

Mike Kruger
August 10th 04, 04:29 AM
"Les Earnest" > wrote in message
> "Necessity is the mother of invention" according to an old saying.
> Bicycles were needed as soon as roads began to be built around 3500 BC.
> Technology adequate to build a bike existed by 2000 BC

Let's think about this. The roads were either dirt roads or, in Roman Empire
days, slabs of stone.
Wheels would have been either wood or metal. I don't recall any rubber
technology at this time.
A wooden wheel on a limestone slab road would have been a rough ride,
indeed.

Perhaps the bicycle actually WAS invented, but the styrofoam helmet wasn't,
and the inventor died of a head injury before the bicycle caught on?

> yet the first
> proto-bicycle did not appear until more than 3,500 years later. Had the
> bicycle been invented earlier, world history would have been quite
> different. Why did it take so long for somebody to try balancing on two
> wheels?

A bigger mystery: why did the wheel never catch on in the pre-Columbian
western hemisphere?

Mike Schwab
August 10th 04, 04:50 AM
http://www.worldnakedbikeride.org/

Carl Sundquist wrote:

> "Ilan Vardi" > wrote in message
>
> > If you've ever tried to ride a bicycle nude, you wouldn't have to ask.
> >

> You've never heard of the Naked Criterium?

Mike Schwab
August 10th 04, 04:52 AM
Andes Mountains?

Mike Kruger wrote:
<snip>
> A bigger mystery: why did the wheel never catch on in the pre-Columbian
> western hemisphere?

Peter
August 10th 04, 05:44 AM
Ilan Vardi wrote:

> If you've ever tried to ride a bicycle nude, you wouldn't have to ask.

These two don't seem to be having any problems (except possibly with
the guy keeping his eyes on the road). Of course they are wearing
helmets.
http://nordicgroup.us/s78/images/swedehelm.jpg

Howard Kveck
August 10th 04, 06:03 AM
In article >,
Mike Schwab > wrote:

> Andes Mountains?

That would have been the forerunner of mountain bike DH: push the bike
up the hill, then ride it back down.

--
tanx,
Howard

So far, so good, so what?

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Richard Longwood
August 10th 04, 06:55 AM
There weren't enough drugs back then.

"Les Earnest" > wrote in message
> "Necessity is the mother of invention" according to an old saying.
> Bicycles were needed as soon as roads began to be built around 3500 BC.
> Technology adequate to build a bike existed by 2000 BC yet the first
> proto-bicycle did not appear until more than 3,500 years later. Had the
> bicycle been invented earlier, world history would have been quite
> different. Why did it take so long for somebody to try balancing on two
> wheels?
>
> For a closer look at this and related mysteries go to
> http://home.pacbell.net/learnest/cyclops and click on "Why was cycling
> not included in the ancient Olympics?"
>
> -Les Earnest

Steve Walton
August 10th 04, 07:02 AM
On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:44:36 -0700, Peter >
wrote:

>Ilan Vardi wrote:
>
>> If you've ever tried to ride a bicycle nude, you wouldn't have to ask.
>
>These two don't seem to be having any problems (except possibly with
>the guy keeping his eyes on the road). Of course they are wearing
>helmets.
>http://nordicgroup.us/s78/images/swedehelm.jpg

I can see the headlights, but neither seem to have rear reflectors

Steve

Peter
August 10th 04, 07:28 AM
Steve Walton wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:44:36 -0700, Peter >
> wrote:
>

>>Ilan Vardi wrote:
>>

>>>If you've ever tried to ride a bicycle nude, you wouldn't have to ask.
>>
>>These two don't seem to be having any problems (except possibly with
>>the guy keeping his eyes on the road). Of course they are wearing
>>helmets.
>>http://nordicgroup.us/s78/images/swedehelm.jpg
>>

> I can see the headlights, but neither seem to have rear reflectors

Hard to be sure, but I believe there's one mounted on the back of his
rear rack. Hers probably has one in the same location but it's
outside of the picture. Given their attire, the skirt guards around
the rear wheels don't appear to be necessary.

Ken Brown
August 10th 04, 02:15 PM
During the recent comemoration of the Normandy landings I noticed
soldiers wading to shore carrying bicycles.
Ken

(Ilan Vardi) wrote:

>I don't quite agree with your statement about the advantage of bicycles
>in military campaigns. I don't recall too much use for them in the last
>world wars. I only know about Dieter http://www.andgor.com/ddieter.html
>
>-ilan

Ken Brown, Toronto Canada
Ontario Rail Trails: http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown
delete "nospam" if replying via e-mail

patrick
August 10th 04, 02:20 PM
gotta love the pics at jonathan mcelvery's site...

http://www.jsmcelvery.com/photos/2004/mtb/mt_snow/ms04nc1.jpg

http://www.jsmcelvery.com/photos/2002/mtb/mt_snow/02nc15a.jpg

note the verge pasties in the background of this one...

http://www.jsmcelvery.com/photos/2002/mtb/mt_snow/02nc13a.jpg

http://www.jsmcelvery.com/photos/2001/mtb/mtsnow/01nc5.jpg

> > If you've ever tried to ride a bicycle nude, you wouldn't have to ask.
> >

> You've never heard of the Naked Criterium?

Steve Kirkendall
August 10th 04, 05:03 PM
Mike Kruger wrote:

> A bigger mystery: why did the wheel never catch on in the pre-Columbian
> western hemisphere?

I remember reading about this somewhere. Pre-Columbians knew about wheels,
and used them in toys but not (generally) for transportation. The main
reason was that wheels will damage a soft road surface, while foot traffic
actually improves the road surface.

Besides, who needs a wheel when you have a nice fuzzy llama?

Roger Bogda
August 10th 04, 06:44 PM
Yet another example of the uphill struggle we have had to wage for our most
noble of sports......will it ever end?

Roger Bogda

"Les Earnest" > wrote in message
> "Necessity is the mother of invention" according to an old saying.
> Bicycles were needed as soon as roads began to be built around 3500 BC.
> Technology adequate to build a bike existed by 2000 BC yet the first
> proto-bicycle did not appear until more than 3,500 years later. Had the
> bicycle been invented earlier, world history would have been quite
> different. Why did it take so long for somebody to try balancing on two
> wheels?
>
> For a closer look at this and related mysteries go to
> http://home.pacbell.net/learnest/cyclops and click on "Why was cycling
> not included in the ancient Olympics?"
>
> -Les Earnest

David Dermott
August 11th 04, 12:16 AM
On 9 Aug 2004, Ilan Vardi wrote:

> I don't quite agree with your statement about the advantage of bicycles
> in military campaigns. I don't recall too much use for them in the last
> world wars.

Stories about bicycles in WW1 and WW2 are mostly ignored or
suppressed. Occasionally, a photo slips through the censors. An example
is a commonly (in Canada at least) printed picture of Canadian troops
leaving a landing craft at Normandy beaches, carrying bicycles. No
comment is ever made about the bicycles.

A few years ago (oops, I just checked the date and it was 30 years!!-
where have the years gone?) there was a book about the subject- BICYCLES
IN WAR by Martin Caidin (1974). Maybe it can be found in used book stores
or a library.

One reason the subject is "politically incorrect" is that bicycles
were used most effectively by "the other side". One example in the rapid
Japanese advance through south-east Asia.

Another reason is that documentaries about WW2 tend to be sponsored
by large corporations like the automobile and oil industries.

So who knows? Maybe bicycles were invented in ancient Greece/Rome
but were suppressed by the chariot industry :-)

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:

Sheldon Brown
August 11th 04, 12:37 AM
David Dermott wrote:

> A few years ago (oops, I just checked the date and it was 30 years!!-=

> where have the years gone?) there was a book about the subject- BICYCLE=
> IN WAR by Martin Caidin (1974). Maybe it can be found in used book stor=
es
> or a library.
>=20
> One reason the subject is "politically incorrect" is that bicycles
> were used most effectively by "the other side". One example in the rapi=
> Japanese advance through south-east Asia.

Yes, I've got that. Probably the greatest example is the battle of Dien =

Bien Phu in 1954.

The French colonialists established a major air base in what is now=20
Vietnam (then it was called French Indochina.) The base was located in=20
a bowl-like depression, making it a sitting duck for artillery.=20
However, the brilliant French officers knew it was safe because it was=20
in the middle of trackless jungle, and there was no way for the=20
Vietnamese to get artillery into position.

They didn't reckon on General Giap's brilliance and the determination of =

the Vietnamese. They disassembled the artillery pieces and schlepped=20
the parts in on bicycles, reassembled them and c'etait tout qu'elle a=20
=E9crit for the French in Southeast Asia.

Too bad Eisenhower couldn't leave well enough alone...

Sheldon "Cyclobibliophile" Brown
| The difference between truth and fiction: |
| Fiction has to make sense. |
| --Mark Twain. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Les Earnest
August 11th 04, 05:46 AM
Roller bearing are irrelevant -- none of the early bikes had them. The
didn't even use metal other than as fasteners.

-Les Earnest

AustinMN wrote:
> Les Earnest wrote in message:
> > "Necessity is the mother of invention" according to an old saying.
> > Bicycles were needed as soon as roads began to be built around 3500 BC.
> > Technology adequate to build a bike existed by 2000 BC
>
> Did the first high-wheel bicycles use ball/roller bearings? Somehow, I
> doubt hard enough bearings existed 4,000 years ago.
>
> Austin

Les Earnest
August 11th 04, 06:33 AM
Ilan wrote:
> First of all, you should ask why didn't people try driving existing 4 wheel
> vehicles using human power (pedals not the Fred Flinstone method).

There are reports of a series of 4 wheel vehicles using human power from
at least the 1400s and some are listed below. However, such vehicles are
much less efficient than the bicycle and deserve no future. Never mind
the crazy people who rent them at resorts these days.

-Les

1418-1419: Manumotive quadricycle designed by Giovanni Fontana, Rector
of the Faculty of Arts in Padua.

1540: Man-powered quadricycle shown in Durer engraving.

1645: Man-powered quadricycle built by Jean Theson at Fontainebleau,
France led to reward of 30 year pension from Queen of France.

~1650: Johann Hautsch, a mechanician of Nuerenburg, built a few
manumotive quadricycles.

1689: Stephan Forffler, a crippled watchmaker living in Altdorff, built
and used a manumotive tricycle.

1761: Mr. Ovenden built a man-powered carriage in England.

1779: Four-wheeled vehicle built by M. Blanchard (a balloonist) and M.
Masurier described in Journal de Paris. They demonstrated it in
courtyard of Versailles Palace.

1783: Blanchard went to Philadelphia and gave demonstrations of
man-powered carriage there on June 20 and August 26.

1805: Blanchard claimed he earlier drove Benjamin Franklin from Paris to
Versailles on man-powered carriage in 1 hour 45 minutes.

1839: "Aellopodes" 2 man pedomotive tricycle built by Mr. Revis in
London. Had 6 foot rear wheels.

1851: Willard Sawyer produced numerous well-made pedomotive quadricycles
in England.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home