PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Mountains

j morelstein
August 10th 04, 04:03 AM
Has anyone ridden in Colorado around the Copper Mountain/Frisco/Dillon area?
Is that a sensible place for road biking or is it strictly mountain-biking
territory? I am going to vacation there and wondering whether it makes sense
to bring my road bike.

Chuck Anderson
August 10th 04, 06:40 AM
j morelstein wrote:

>Has anyone ridden in Colorado around the Copper Mountain/Frisco/Dillon area?
>Is that a sensible place for road biking or is it strictly mountain-biking
>territory? I am going to vacation there and wondering whether it makes sense
>to bring my road bike.

The short answer is ... absolutely. There are many great rides around
Summit county.

There's paved off road trail from Frisco to Vail.

Same sort of trail to Breckenridge.

Good road rides over Fremont Pass - Hoosier Pass.

Check these out:
http://www.summitdaily.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=SPECIALA03

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Denver C. Fox
August 10th 04, 01:17 PM
Good trail road biking from Keystone to Frisco to Breck to Copper - Vail (don't
miss Vail Pass) and beyond to Edwards, also Glenwood Canyon, up to Leadville
from Copper on US 24, across to Granby on US 9, etc.

However, you may need some acclimitazation to do the passes. Even living near
Denver at 6,000 feet, when I go to Summit County (we have a condo there) I wait
a couple of days before I do the Vail Pass thing (10,606 feet).

Have fun.

If you are going on Labor Day weekend, expect LOTS of company!

http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns
(Colorado rental condo)

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
(Family Web Page)

John Everett
August 10th 04, 03:41 PM
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 03:03:51 GMT, "j morelstein"
> wrote:

>Has anyone ridden in Colorado around the Copper Mountain/Frisco/Dillon area?
>Is that a sensible place for road biking or is it strictly mountain-biking
>territory? I am going to vacation there and wondering whether it makes sense
>to bring my road bike.

I just returned (Saturday evening) from my yearly cycling trip to
Frisco. There are great road biking options available in Summit
County. Paved cycling paths lead to Keystone, Breckenridge, and Vail.
More ambitious options include climbs of Swan Mountain Road, Hoosier
Pass, and Loveland Pass. Also a nice 7 mile climb from Keystone to
Montezuma, which I discovered this year.

How much you enjoy cycling in this area will depend a lot upon your
level of fitness, and your equipment. On my first trip to the area I
brought a bike with a double chainring, and a low of 39/26. When I got
home I bought a touring bike with a granny gear. Another benefit to
the touring bike is the rack trunk, handy for carrying extra clothing
and rain gear. On most pass climbs you'll want to stop at some point
to add clothes. Also prepare to get caught in a occasional afternoon
shower (or worse).

j morelstein
August 12th 04, 05:09 AM
thanks to all who responded. I guess I will take my road bike...although it
has no granny gear...if the hills are too tough, well, I guess I'll rent a
mountain bike...(which maybe I'll do anyway).

"j morelstein" > wrote in message
> Has anyone ridden in Colorado around the Copper Mountain/Frisco/Dillon
area?
> Is that a sensible place for road biking or is it strictly mountain-biking
> territory? I am going to vacation there and wondering whether it makes
sense
> to bring my road bike.

Denver C. Fox
August 12th 04, 01:32 PM
>thanks to all who responded. I guess I will take my road bike...although it
>has no granny gear...if the hills are too tough, well, I guess I'll rent a
>mountain bike...(which maybe I'll do anyway).

The rides to Keystone, Breck and Frisco are pretty level, with a couple of
minor exceptions going from Frisco to Breck. Kids do it all the time on
cruiser type bikes.

The rides from Frisco to Copper and from Copper to Vail are fairly steep,
depending upon your condition. It ranges all the way from out-of-shape folks
walking their bikes, to roadies in excellent shape going up most of it at 10-15
mph.

http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns
(Colorado rental condo)

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox