PDA

View Full Version : Re: 2nd giraffe project

unisk8r
August 10th 04, 03:58 AM
My 2nd 'raffe project is a chrome-moly 6' chromed frame with custom
hollow bb, 140mm alloy cranks, 34/32 chainrings, quality 3/32" chain,
and custom spider / removable chainring assembly attached to alloy track
hub (with permanent thread locker). Rides smooooth as can be!

| Attachment filename: giraffe2.full.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/228355|

unisk8r - All this for just cross-training?
unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660

unisk8r
August 10th 04, 03:59 AM
Close-ups of the cranks & sprocket assembly:

| Attachment filename: giraffe2.wheel.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/228357|

unisk8r - All this for just cross-training?
unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660

unisk8r
August 10th 04, 04:00 AM
cranks with FSA alloy chainring

| Attachment filename: giraffe2.cranks.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/228358|

unisk8r - All this for just cross-training?
unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660

TheBadger587
August 10th 04, 04:31 AM
nice!

--
TheBadger587 - HSG here i come!

Gliding, finally.

AIM:TheBadger587
TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576

TonyMelton
August 10th 04, 04:46 AM
Very nice indeed!

Looks like you've got a Torker saddle on it. Is this a good seat for
giraffes? How does it handle the stresses of ground-falls?

Does anyone else have any opinions on the best saddle for a giraffe?

--
TonyMelton - www.unicycle.co.nz

See some photos of the first 'NZ MUni Weekend'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/NZ-MUni-Weekend-2004)
TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

unisk8r
August 10th 04, 11:33 PM
the Torker seat on this one is new, so i don't yet have a cracked rear
bumper like i do with the seat on my 5' Torker (on which i learned).
i've been handling this one more carefully, as i'm interested in its
durability. no doubts, just interested with all the alloy parts.
complete weight for the 6 footer is 14 lbs.

--
unisk8r - All this for just cross-training?
unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660

unisk8r
September 8th 04, 06:47 PM
just came across another interesting idea for a raffe hub...in the bike
trials world, they have gone to a fixed cassette rear hub with a front
freewheel chainring, to move more weight under the rider. here's an
example of a fixed cassette hub:

http://tinyurl.com/6dlk8

this echo hub has 82mm flange width, you can use 3/32" or 1/8" bmx cogs,
and it would be super easy to change the cog because it just slips over
the cassette. also you could adjust chain alignment with spacers.
Dave S., what do you think?

--
unisk8r - All this for just cross-training?
unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660

Brian MacKenzie
September 8th 04, 07:26 PM
I dropped a 5ft giraffe from a UPM (unplanned mismount)

(nothing to bad, just a giraffe going from upright to flat)

That bumper shattered.

That is a very pretty ride indeed!

--
Brian MacKenzie - Shades of Scorpius