PDA

View Full Version : Puglia, Abruzzo e Molise

rhnb
August 10th 04, 04:07 PM
Hi
A friend and I are flying out to Puglia (Brindisi) to start a 2 week cycle
tour from mid September, flying home from Pescara.
Anyone recommend any must see places, scenic roads etc in the
Puglia/Abruzzo/Molise regions?
We're normally more organised than this and have a good idea where we're
going by now, but this one seems to have caught us by surprise!

Any info appreciated.

Cheeers... Allan.
~~~
http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/index.htm
Italian Cycle tour reports and the home of...
Cycling Before Lycra

semprearuota
August 13th 04, 02:50 PM
It's really a vaste territory to cover in just 2 weeks. Here my suggestions
to get started but I'm sure you will want to come back to see more.
Exception made for the Gargano Promontory, Puglia has virtually no
mountains.
From Brindisi head inland to Ostuni and Valle d'Itria, you'll find a
bit of hilly terrain and amazing villages (Alberobello, Martina Franca,
Cisternino).
service road parallel to the 4 lanes Statale Adriatica.
Don't get discouraged by the suburbs: Monopoli, Polignano, Bari, Giovinazzo,
Molfetta, Bisceglie and Trani have historic section (centro storico) that's
well worth
visiting.
The Gargano is also worth a couple of days riding.
If you love climbing in Abruzzo you have your bread and butter: 4 National
Park with the highest peaks in the Appennini and a couple of paved roads
over
2000mts. Check www.urla.com/abcycletours/descrizione.htm
My advise is: ride the Adriatica till Ortona then move inland to
Guardiagrele.
From here you can ride in the Parco Nazionale della Maiella.
Then, moving throu Pescocostanzo, Pacentro, Sulmona, Anversa, Scanno,
reach Pescasseroli in the Parco Nazionale d'Abruzzo.
Then go North along the Aterno Valley (Fontecchio) and get to L'Aquila.
L'Aquila is surrounded by mountains. From here you can do a variety of
beautiful rides.
Not to be missed: Ocre, Fossa, Montereale, Campotosto, Parco del Sirente,
Rocca Calascio, S.Stefano di Sessanio, Capestrano.
Just stay away from the busy National road to Pescara (SS17). To go to
Pescara choose the high road across the Gran Sasso (via Farindola, Penne,
Loreto).

enjoy your rides and have a good wind!

Angelo Bandini
abcycletours
Abruzzo, Italia

www.urla.com/abcycletours/program.htm

"rhnb" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Hi
> A friend and I are flying out to Puglia (Brindisi) to start a 2 week cycle
> tour from mid September, flying home from Pescara.
> Anyone recommend any must see places, scenic roads etc in the
> Puglia/Abruzzo/Molise regions?
> We're normally more organised than this and have a good idea where we're
> going by now, but this one seems to have caught us by surprise!
>
> Any info appreciated.
>
> Cheeers... Allan.
> ~~~
> http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/index.htm
> Italian Cycle tour reports and the home of...
> Cycling Before Lycra

Michael MacClancy
August 13th 04, 03:35 PM
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:50:57 GMT, semprearuota wrote:

> It's really a vaste territory to cover in just 2 weeks. Here my suggestions
> to get started but I'm sure you will want to come back to see more.
> Exception made for the Gargano Promontory, Puglia has virtually no
> mountains.

I've been to Gargano (not cycling) and it really is nice. Vieste is lovely
as is Peschici. I'd ride around the coast.

Didn't see much else on our weekend trip and made a particular point of
missing the pilgrim centres of San Giovanni Rotondo and Monte Sant'Angelo
although your tastes may vary!

--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "They never open their mouths without subtracting from

TJ
September 19th 04, 02:01 AM
"rhnb" > wrote in message
> Hi
> A friend and I are flying out to Puglia (Brindisi) to start a 2 week cycle
> tour from mid September, flying home from Pescara.
> Anyone recommend any must see places, scenic roads etc in the
> Puglia/Abruzzo/Molise regions?
> We're normally more organised than this and have a good idea where we're
> going by now, but this one seems to have caught us by surprise!
>
> Any info appreciated.
>
> Cheeers... Allan.
> ~~~
> http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/index.htm
> Italian Cycle tour reports and the home of...
> Cycling Before Lycra

Pescasorelli is a nice area to ride. We used to go camping up there.

TJ
www.gvii.net/hundtoft

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home