PDA

View Full Version : Bike route

Frank
August 11th 04, 01:47 AM
Looking for a safe and direct bike route from NY to VA Beach. Any suggestions?

Bill Cotton
August 16th 04, 04:13 PM
I have posted my route from Philly to NY a few times; a Goggle search should
bring them up. Most are on my web pages also. A novel route is the ferry to
Sandy Hook NJ, find Rt 537, follow that to Maple Shade NJ. I have several
cue from Cheltenham PA to Cape may and Wildwood that goes through Maple
Shade NJ. Use the Cape May to Cape Henlopen ferry, Lewes DE. Use US 9 to US
13. There are two route to use into Virginia, One is to use the Crisfield to
Tangier Island Ferry and then the Tangier Island to Virginia ferry. This
requires timing information to make the connection, one of my web pages has
the schedule that I used http://www.billcotton.com/bike.htm
The other way is to use the Bridge tunnel. A call to the bridge commission
may get you a shuttle, otherwise a friendly trucker and a offer to pay the
toll should get you across.
Instead of the Cape May ferry, The East Coast Greenway route to Delaware.
http://www.greenway.org/ will get you to Delaware then you can use Delaware
Bicycle Route 1. The route is signed but some signed are missing, however a
cue is here http://www.billcotton.com/delaware1.htm
A longer route is from Adventure cycle http://www.adventurecycling.org/
--

www.billcotton.com
N40° 3.744' W75° 6.180'
"Frank" > wrote in message
om...
> Looking for a safe and direct bike route from NY to VA Beach. Any
suggestions?

Ron Wallenfang
August 31st 04, 04:58 AM
I crossed the George Washington bridge at the end of a day's riding (from
Norwich CT.), and stayed at a Best Western in Ft. Lee, NJ. At first light
the next morning (about 5:00 a.m.), I went to Rte 46 and took it to
Hackettstown, then 57 to Easton PA, and 611 all the way to Center City
Philadelphia. 46 is not for the faint of heart. Fortunately, I was through
the busiest areas before traffic really picked up. For the most part there
were good shoulder areas to ride on, but with a few harrowing situations,
such as two left turns where you had to cross 2 busy traffic lanes to get to
the left turn lane, and one merge, where two busy lanes of traffic are
merging from the right. The only safe way to handle those is to be patient,
wait for a break in the traffic and run across the lanes. As you go further
west , you also hit some pretty good hills.

57 is a much easier ride. At the Del. River bridge, the police shooed me
off the traffic lanes onto the pedestrian path.

PA 611 was good news bad news, at first, there was light traffic and flat
valley roads but narrow lanes. Later the shoulder widened, but was not well
maintained; the pavement was very substandard. Traffic picked up after
Doylestown. In the Phil. suburbs, there were a few places where there was
barely room for the two lanes of traffic; occasional strtegic retreats to
the sidewalk were in order. The last 8 miles into Center City were good
riding; plenty of lanes, less traffic, and lots of green lights on Broad
street. Total travel: 136 miles

I have no basis for comparing this to any other route, as I'm from WI and
not otherwise familiar with the area. I seriously considered a route
through Staten Island and then west, but my information was that the bridge
at the south end of Staten Island wasn't available to bicyclists.

"Bill Cotton" > wrote in message
> I have posted my route from Philly to NY a few times; a Goggle search
should
> bring them up. Most are on my web pages also. A novel route is the ferry
> Sandy Hook NJ, find Rt 537, follow that to Maple Shade NJ. I have several
> cue from Cheltenham PA to Cape may and Wildwood that goes through Maple
> Shade NJ. Use the Cape May to Cape Henlopen ferry, Lewes DE. Use US 9 to
US
> 13. There are two route to use into Virginia, One is to use the Crisfield
> Tangier Island Ferry and then the Tangier Island to Virginia ferry. This
> requires timing information to make the connection, one of my web pages
has
> the schedule that I used http://www.billcotton.com/bike.htm
> The other way is to use the Bridge tunnel. A call to the bridge commission
> may get you a shuttle, otherwise a friendly trucker and a offer to pay the
> toll should get you across.
> Instead of the Cape May ferry, The East Coast Greenway route to Delaware.
> http://www.greenway.org/ will get you to Delaware then you can use
Delaware
> Bicycle Route 1. The route is signed but some signed are missing, however
> cue is here http://www.billcotton.com/delaware1.htm
> A longer route is from Adventure cycle http://www.adventurecycling.org/
> --
>
> www.billcotton.com
> N40° 3.744' W75° 6.180'
> "Frank" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Looking for a safe and direct bike route from NY to VA Beach. Any
> suggestions?

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home