PDA

View Full Version : West Coast and Alaska Highway

David Dermott
August 11th 04, 04:28 AM
Last week I was cycling along the West Coast and decided to make
a side trip to Alaska. It only took about an hour.
Oh, I'm talking about The West Coast of Prince Edward Island. You mean
there is ANOTHER Alaska? :-)

For years I've seen the dot on the map of PEI called Alaska
and wondered what was there. Well there is a blue sign and a potato
field and not much else:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/alaska2.jpg

The Alaska Highway is Route 138, about 14 km long, mostly paved.
There is a 3 km section of hard packed clay road (typical PEI red)
Map:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/map-al.jpg

There once was a school house but that's been moved the the
potato museum in O'Leary.

I was hoping there would be a gift shop selling "I cycled the Alaska
Highway" T-shirts or at least a post card! :-)

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:

Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee
August 11th 04, 06:59 AM
There's a village called Moscow in Co.Clare, Ireland.
Not been there. Don't think it has a Kremlin.

Ron Wallenfang
August 11th 04, 01:09 PM
I've biked in Alaska, too - Alaska, WI, on Lake Michigan between Algoma and
Kewaunee. It has a gold course and a motel and a few houses. It's in an
area that for whatever reason, attracts a lot of cool breezes off the Lake,
which may account for its name.

"David Dermott" > wrote in message
> Last week I was cycling along the West Coast and decided to make
> a side trip to Alaska. It only took about an hour.
> Oh, I'm talking about The West Coast of Prince Edward Island. You mean
> there is ANOTHER Alaska? :-)
>
> For years I've seen the dot on the map of PEI called Alaska
> and wondered what was there. Well there is a blue sign and a potato
> field and not much else:
> http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/alaska2.jpg
>
> The Alaska Highway is Route 138, about 14 km long, mostly paved.
> There is a 3 km section of hard packed clay road (typical PEI red)
> Map:
> http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/map-al.jpg
>
> There once was a school house but that's been moved the the
> potato museum in O'Leary.
>
> I was hoping there would be a gift shop selling "I cycled the Alaska
> Highway" T-shirts or at least a post card! :-)
>
> --
>
> David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
> email:
> WWW pages: http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/

Dennis P. Harris
August 12th 04, 07:44 AM
cross posting to alt.culture.alaska, for obvious reasons...

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 03:28:45 GMT in rec.bicycles.rides, David
Dermott > wrote:

> Last week I was cycling along the West Coast and decided to make
> a side trip to Alaska. It only took about an hour.
> Oh, I'm talking about The West Coast of Prince Edward Island. You mean
> there is ANOTHER Alaska? :-)
>
> For years I've seen the dot on the map of PEI called Alaska
> and wondered what was there. Well there is a blue sign and a potato
> field and not much else:
> http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/alaska2.jpg
>
> The Alaska Highway is Route 138, about 14 km long, mostly paved.
> There is a 3 km section of hard packed clay road (typical PEI red)
> Map:
> http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/map-al.jpg
>
> There once was a school house but that's been moved the the
> potato museum in O'Leary.
>
> I was hoping there would be a gift shop selling "I cycled the Alaska
> Highway" T-shirts or at least a post card! :-)

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home