PDA

View Full Version : Help with Chicago Lakefront path

Mike
August 11th 04, 11:30 PM
A friend has a question about the Chicago lakeshore bike path.

I was riding this past Saturday up the North Shore Trail from Glenview and
just past the Great Lakes Naval Training Station, the trail takes a hard
right and circles under Amstutz Highway before heading north one block to M
L King Drive. At that intersection there is a sign that says the trail turns
hard left, heading west. That is the last sign for the trail. I rode clear
across Green Bay Road (about 1 mile) without seeing another sign.

The map on your site suggests I should have turned back right (north) fairly
quickly off M L King Dr, but I have no idea where. Can you provide some
insight?

Please reply to c o a c h m b @ a m e r i t e c h . n e t

Bob Kastigar
August 14th 04, 01:56 PM
"Mike" > wrote in message >...
> A friend has a question about the Chicago lakeshore bike path.
>
> I was riding this past Saturday up the North Shore Trail from Glenview and
> just past the Great Lakes Naval Training Station, the trail takes a hard
> right and circles under Amstutz Highway before heading north one block to M
> L King Drive. At that intersection there is a sign that says the trail turns
> hard left, heading west. That is the last sign for the trail. I rode clear
> across Green Bay Road (about 1 mile) without seeing another sign.

This is a little confusing. I think what you're talking about is the
Robert McClory Trail.

Past the Naval Station, continue north (instead of following the
signs) until you get to the railroad tracks. Cross the tracks, and
follow M L King road west about 1/10 mile. You'll come to what looks
like a factory shipping entrance (plastic manufacturing or
distribution) , except there's kindofa path to the right (east) of the
entrance. (I think, but I'm not sure there's a stop light here.) Go
north on this a very short distance, maybe a block, cross a street,
and you'll be on a gravel path which continues all the way to Kenosha.

Alternately, you can follow the signs, circle under the road, and
you'll come out to the same place but maybe be unable to find the path
again when you reach M L King road. I'm not sure why the
sign-planners chose to sign the route this way; to me it's much easier
to just cross the tracks and take M L King drive the short distance to
where the route resumes.

But you're right, I don't think the route north from M L King Road is
very well signed.

Hope this helps.

--
Bob Kastigar; mailto:R-Kastigar (at) neiu.edu (anti-spam attempt)
Home: http://www.neiu.edu/~rkastiga Work: http://www.wgntv.com

"Sweet Old Bob" (or just the initials)

Mike Kruger
August 17th 04, 01:03 AM
"Mike" > wrote in message
> A friend has a question about the Chicago lakeshore bike path.
>
> I was riding this past Saturday up the North Shore Trail from Glenview and
> just past the Great Lakes Naval Training Station, the trail takes a hard
> right and circles under Amstutz Highway before heading north one block to
> L King Drive. At that intersection there is a sign that says the trail
turns
> hard left, heading west. That is the last sign for the trail. I rode
clear
> across Green Bay Road (about 1 mile) without seeing another sign.
>
> The map on your site suggests I should have turned back right (north)
fairly
> quickly off M L King Dr, but I have no idea where. Can you provide some
> insight?

Kastigar covered your direct question; I'll answer one you didn't ask.
The path through Waukegan is not a good route. There are many crossings in
the middle of the block (one source claims 24 of them). There is glass in
the gravel. There are young men standing around with not much to do.

Check a map and take Jackson St through town. This runs parallel to the
trail, about a block east. The street's pretty well paved and the overall
environment feels safer with more traffic around.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home