PDA

View Full Version : Summit bearings

mucRider
August 13th 04, 06:10 PM
I have a couple of questions related to my Summit's bearings. I have
searched the forum and come up with some information but I still have
questions.

Question 1. Can I safely remove the bearing shims without doing any
damage? Can I get a different sized bearing that would allow me to
remove the shims?

Question 2. I have trouble getting the bearing cap tightened properly.
Too tight - the bearings are constricted which means the wheel does not
turn freely plus the bearing makes a scraping noise. Too loose - the
shims shift out of place and I get another scraping noise. When I leave
the bolts loose, I am almost afraid they are going to fall out because
they are so loose. The problem here is there is not much difference
between too tight and too loose. I do not have a torque wrench. Does
anyone else out there have problems getting the proper tension on their
Summit bearings? Any ideas? Any suggetions for getting it right?

I have been riding about 16 months and at age 51, I don't ride it real
hard.

--
mucRider - Old Unicycling Newbie

Anything with more than one wheel is too complicated!
mucRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6119

Krashin'Kenny
August 13th 04, 09:47 PM
Try using a 1/4" nut driver with a 10 mm socket on it. It's pretty hard
to overtighten the bolts using this method because of the lack of
leverage.

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home