PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with my MUni

1Cube1Wheel
August 14th 04, 04:36 AM
I live in Maryland and am taking the train up to Connecticut and I
wanted to bring my KH-24 with me. I took the whole thing apart so I
could fit it in my suitcase, but I had to put the seat post in my
backpack. Has anyone traveled like this with their uni before, and have
any idea about security having a problem with a giant metal rod with a
seat on the end in my backpack? Also, does it matter which crank is the
right one and which is the left?

Jason

--
1Cube1Wheel - 01001101010101010110111001101001

I'm all for bipartisianship. Ill hug your elephant if you kiss my ass.

1Cube1Wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6957

bugman
August 14th 04, 05:19 AM
I try not to carry anything on the palne, but a train is probably not as
big a deal. Can't imagine a highjacking on a plane.

It does matter which is right and left.

--
bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with
his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive
achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.
Ayn Rand

jorkee
August 14th 04, 08:44 AM
I was with my uni by plane in portugal and in greece. I just bought big
suitcase and put everything inside. nobody look inside and it was ok.
when I was coming back from greece a had the uni in my hand all the
time. in the bus on the prom and so on. when I am traveling with the
train I just have uni standing alone. I didnt pack it.

--
jorkee
jorkee's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4846

MrBoogiejuice
August 18th 04, 10:06 PM
hey hey,
I've done quite a lot of travelling with my unicycle. In favt I just
gopt back from barcelona last night having been travelling up the east
coast of Spain and spending a week or so in Barcelona. I find the
easiest way to travel with a uni is just to wheel it around, and not
bother taking it apart or anything. When I travel I tend to carry a big
rucksack, a little rucksack and My uni (an onza 20"). Flying with a uni
has never been a problem for me either. Depending on which airline you
go with you may have to before getting on the plane....take off the
pedals, let down the tyre a little or put the bottom half of the uni in
a cardboard box and tape it up.
The best thing about flying with a unicycle is the looks on people's
faces when it comes around on the luggage carousel. Anyway, in short I
would highly reccomend travelling with a unicycle mainly because you get
to find many new places to ride. And if you're travelling alone it's a
great conversation starter for those moments when you're sat getting
bored in a train station.
Anyhoo, happy trails
Kit

--
MrBoogiejuice - Uni geek
MrBoogiejuice's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5515

[...]

August 18th 04, 10:11 PM
[...]

johnfoss
August 18th 04, 11:12 PM
For those of you that are USA members, there will be a big, detailed
story on packing unicycling for flying in the next issue. This issue has
apparently just finished printing, and is about to hit the mail real
soon!

That article follows much of what I've written here in the past, and
covers your needs if you fly with two or more unicycles and need to pack
them up. Having a single one and just using it as a piece of luggage can
work, but can be risky, especially if you have a painted frame.
Actually, any form of packed unicycles are still at risk (unless you
build a fortress around them), but avoiding oversize and bicycle fees is
my main goal. Plus by putting them in a big piece of luggage, there's
room for other stuff like tools, pads, Camelbak, etc. Plus my luggage
looks like luggage, so it usually doesn't attract any attention even
though it's pretty big!

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!"
'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)

[...]

PopeSamXVI
August 19th 04, 05:32 AM
I took my uni to Iowa. It mattered to me which crank was which, but it
was easy to figure out since they only went on one way. I checked the
bag the uni was in and everything came out fine, though they did take my
allen wrenches.

--
PopeSamXVI - Resident Hogwasher/Hornswaggler

Karol Jozef Wojtyla Forever!

I really am the president of my own fan club. www.samhunterfanclub.tk
PopeSamXVI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6661

[...]

Google