PDA

View Full Version : Re: Do bicycles and cars mix?

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX
July 11th 03, 05:14 PM
> One of the reasons why the death rate on US highways is so
>much lower than that of Europe is that we have had the courage to
>ban bicycles from major roads. The two modes of traffic never
>mix at all.

Sorry, I have to disagree on the point that bicycles should be banned from
major roads.

My UK experience is of cycling on major roads *as is my right over here* and
finding it a generally enjoyable experience and I've not had a run-in with a
vehicle. Yes, there are some idiots behind the wheels of motorised transport,
but on the whole, we mix well and safely - but we cyclists have to fight to
have it so. Many European countries have a wonderful culture of *respecting*
and *encouraging* cycling - more so than here in the UK. I'm off to Paris for
the last stage of Le Tour and then on to germany to cycle part of the Rhine
cycle route and I can't wait to get there! A friend of mine has cycled the part
of the Rhine I'm going to and tells me it's cycling heaven compared to the Uk
as cycling is an accepted and normal part of life.

I don't know what the USA experience is like as I've never driven or cycled
there, but I do know I would *loathe* being in a situation where the car was so
paramount that non-motorised methods of getting from A to B was discouraged or
banned the way it *appears* to be in the States. I can see the UK heading that
way and I will resist it all I can!

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX
July 11th 03, 05:17 PM
>They are equally illegal on divided,
>limited access highways (autobahns, autoroutes, motorways, etc.) in every
>European country that I know of. Where's the difference between the US and
>Europe?

In the UK they are banned from motorways BUT are *not* from dual carriageways
and other A roads or major roads. To be banned from a normal major road over
here is *rare* - over here we cyclists have a *right* to be on the road and
drivers of motorised transport are there by *licence* - a fact a lot of
motorists and cyclists over here tend to forget :-)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

mark
July 11th 03, 05:45 PM
"wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" wrote

> Sorry, I have to disagree on the point that bicycles should be banned from
> major roads.
>
> My UK experience is of cycling on major roads *as is my right over here*
and
> finding it a generally enjoyable experience and I've not had a run-in with
> vehicle. Yes, there are some idiots behind the wheels of motorised
transport,
> but on the whole, we mix well and safely - but we cyclists have to fight
> have it so. Many European countries have a wonderful culture of
*respecting*
> and *encouraging* cycling - more so than here in the UK. I'm off to Paris
for
> the last stage of Le Tour and then on to germany to cycle part of the
Rhine
> cycle route and I can't wait to get there! A friend of mine has cycled the
part
> of the Rhine I'm going to and tells me it's cycling heaven compared to the
Uk
> as cycling is an accepted and normal part of life.
>
> I don't know what the USA experience is like as I've never driven or
cycled
> there, but I do know I would *loathe* being in a situation where the car
was so
> paramount that non-motorised methods of getting from A to B was
discouraged or
> banned the way it *appears* to be in the States. I can see the UK heading
that
> way and I will resist it all I can!
>
> Cheers, helen s

I'm lucky enough to live in a corner of the US where cycling is an accepted
and normal part of life, and I don't plan on leaving anytime soon. I have
spent time in areas where, as you describe, the car is so paramount that
non-motorised transport is discouraged or appears to be banned. You are
correct, it is a truly loathsome state of affairs, unpleasant for motorists,
cyclists, and pedestrians alike.
--
mark

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX
July 11th 03, 09:48 PM
>By divided, limited access highways, I meant what are called motorways in
>Great Britain, and Interstate highways, freeways, etc. here in the US.
>Bicycles are not banned from divided roads in the US unless the road is
>built like a motorway. Sorry if I wasn't completely clear.

Okay :-)

But, I don't know if you are aware (so apologies if this sounds like teaching
my granny to suck eggs!) but we have A roads which are motorways in all but
name & designation - dual carriageways - with the same speed limit as a
motorway and cyclists are not banned from these. Dual width road each side of a
central reservation area dividing the opposing flows of traffic. They can be
great for time trials :-)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

Bernie
July 12th 03, 02:49 AM
wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX wrote:

> >They are equally illegal on divided,
> >limited access highways (autobahns, autoroutes, motorways, etc.) in every
> >European country that I know of. Where's the difference between the US and
> >Europe?
>
> In the UK they are banned from motorways BUT are *not* from dual carriageways
> and other A roads or major roads. To be banned from a normal major road over
> here is *rare* - over here we cyclists have a *right* to be on the road and
> drivers of motorised transport are there by *licence* - a fact a lot of
> motorists and cyclists over here tend to forget :-)
>
> Cheers, helen s
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~
> This is sent from a redundant email
> Mail sent to it is dumped
> My correct one can be gleaned from
> h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
> by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
> ~~~~~~~~~~

It is the same deal in Canada. We cyclists have such an inherent right to the
road that we need no licence. We have the right to be there. Motorists must
earn thru education and buy with money the licence to bring their motor vehicles
onto the common road.
Try to explain that one. Eyeballs roll up to watch the mind movie ... Only
fellow cyclists can just possibly follow that line of "heresy".
Some time ago I was given a travel book of India. One of the images in it was
the Grand Trunk Road, built by the British Raj in the early 19th century. A very
wide roadway that runs N/S in India. The picture, BTW was 20th century
contemporary, not 100 years ago. It showed pedestrians, loaded camels, mule
trains, horse and camel drawn wagons, trucks piled hugely high with goods, and of
course bicycles, all travelling slowly, north and south. The perspective was
good, as it took in a fairly long view. There did not seem to be any clear rules
of "keep to the left" (or right). Everyone seemed to be loosely spread out.
The point is, all these road users had a right to be there. The trucks were
capable of high speeds, but not without trashing the many low speed road users.
I quite enjoyed the picture, and the message it delivered.
Bernie

Randal Lovelace
July 12th 03, 04:40 AM
Don Quijote wrote:
> [...]
> by inches. But it struck the woman.
> "There was nowhere to go. She went right into it. You didn't have much
> time to think," Miller, 43, said.
> Cyclists slammed into the car's windshield, cracking it into a spider
> web of glass. Bike wheels and handlebars went spinning. Some riders
> were thrown so forcefully off their cycles that their shoes remained in
> the pedals.
> "Men and women were screaming, bodies were flying," Ryder said. "A wheel
> went flying right in front of me. It was like an explosion. There were
> bicycle parts everywhere, blood everywhere."
> Miller estimated the car was going 30 mph. The car left no skid marks.
> The car ran over a curb, the bikes underneath it scraping against the
> sidewalk, eventually stopping
> it. One neighbor inside his house thought a car had knocked over garbage
> cans. Another said it sounded like a car thumping fence posts.
> Neighbors reported hearing Pastore say a variety of things.
> "He said, "I must have hit something,' " said Roy Luers, whose yard was
> the car's final resting place. "He was out of it. He didn't know."
> Another said Pastore told her something had flown into his eye. Another
> saw a diabetic necklace dangling from his neck.
> Pastore told police he tried to pass another car, even though he was
> traveling in a no-pass zone. Police want to find the other motorist, who
> was driving an older-model, light-colored, foreign-made car. That
> motorist is not facing charges, police said.
> Neighbors and cyclists with cell phones dialed 911 while tending to the
> wounded. Ten ambulances were dispatched. Ryder tended to a man with
> serious leg and pelvis injuries. His helmet was split down the back.
> Two cyclists were taken by helicopter to Bayfront Medical Center. Others
> were taken by ambulance to Bayfront, Northside Hospital and St.
> Anthony's Hospital.
> The three in serious condition at Bayfront were David Arnold, Maria
> Riquet and Ronald Diner, a hospital spokesman said. Their ages and
> addresses were not available.
> Police said the cyclists were wearing helmets. According to state law,
> bicycling two abreast is legal; three abreast is not.
> Vosburgh, 56, who began seriously cycling a few years ago, said he
> planned a bike trip with his wife, Carol Jean, in Nova Scotia in August.
> When she arrived at the hospital, he immediately asked about his bike, a
> red titanium Serrota costing $6,000. She said it was in pieces.
> The cyclists said their group is tight-knit. The St. Petersburg Bike
> Club has about 260 members, while the Mad Dog group has about 800
> local members.
> "That's why we travel in groups. There's safety in numbers," Carol Jean
> Vosburgh said.
> Despite the accident, the cyclists said they would continue to ride.
> "I have no intention of not going back," Vosburgh said from his hospital
> bed. "In life, I'd rather wear out than rust out."

It is my opinion -

That dangerous drivers are dangerous to all...not just cyclist.

That the group of riders would not have had time to react....(they
traveling at just under 20mph, and the car from opposing direction
traveling at 30mph (and accelerating) -0- this makes for a 50mph
impact........how quickly could you have reacted?

That roadways - excepting the ones that actually have properly marked
bike lanes - are incredibly dangerous for cyclist.

That Bikeways are designed in such a way as not to be useful for daily
transportation (ie, it doesn't start or end anywhere near where it would
be useful) I tend to see them as a place of recreation riding.

I believe if the advocates for cycling safety could come together that
they would actually be able to force legislation refering to all new
construction of roadway (exclusive of interstates) to include either a
marked bike lane and or considerably wide shoulder for riding.

Enough ranting...(still bothered about the St. Pete driver mowing down a
group of riders -=- I hope them all a speedy recovery.

--
Randal Lovelace

R15757
July 12th 03, 07:00 AM
<< You should be high left in the lane with a clear sight line to the truck's
left mirror. The car behind you will not attempt a pass as you are
dominating the centerline. You should close up rapidly along the
centerline and wait to cut your right turn behind the truck when you
are sure of its intentions.

The car driver saw an opportunity to pass you because you gave him
too much space.>>

Lot of assumptions in this post. Maybe the guy didnt see him at all. You could
also get your ass run over while "dominating the center line." Never assume.
This sounds like a road with a lot of space on the right. It is better to ride
a consistent line to the right, where it doesnt matter if you're seen or not,
than to ride left and cut right.

It is better to ride like you're not seen than to ride to be seen. Most of the
time, you can't do both.

Robert

Tom Keats
July 12th 03, 07:34 AM
In article >,
(R15757) writes:

> Lot of assumptions in this post. Maybe the guy didnt see him at all. You could
> also get your ass run over while "dominating the center line." Never assume.
> This sounds like a road with a lot of space on the right.

I know this stretch, and have ridden it myself. Narrow lane, and
the only thing on the right is sidewalk, and then concrete barrier.
No shoulder, no verge. This is definitely entire-lane-taking
territory. Riding on there is truly "threading the needle". And
Bernie forgot to mention the killer diagonal RR tracks.

> It is better to ride
> a consistent line to the right, where it doesnt matter if you're seen or not,
> than to ride left and cut right.

With any line to the right of the centre of the lane there, one
just gets passed too closely, or disappears from drivers' views
(which are dominated by large trucks).

> It is better to ride like you're not seen than to ride to be seen. Most of the
> time, you can't do both.

In this particular stretch, I opt for the latter. Actually,
there's not even an option. On Front St, ya bloody well *gotta*
make sure you're seen.

cheers,
Tom