PDA

View Full Version : Re: 'solid' tyres

smokey
October 4th 04, 01:53 AM
"Gwood" > wrote in message >...
> I've seen them in the hardware store in Goldendale, Washington, USA. Due to
> this rather remote location, I assumed they were kind of a joke. I took a
> look at them, and I sure wouldn't be doing any challenging riding on them.
> They seem pretty solid, so I suspect the ride would be unpleasant at best.
>
> The hardware store website lists various tires but does not specify if they
> are the solid ones I saw.
> http://doitbest.com/shop/default.asp?mscssid=8M4WUR83P1RC9JTGCTKFFG3WNFW3E1 X2&mbrid=5577
>
> Not sure what type of punctures you get, but my best luck has been with
> slime tubes. For a few bucks they'll stop most small punctures like thorns,
> small glass bits and small nails. Preventing little leaks with slime tubes
> has been helpful in preventing pinch flats and sidewall problems too.
>
> Cheers
> Gary

I tried a pair of solid tires several years ago after a spate of flats
and found out quickly I had made a mistake. They don't get traction,
feel dead, ride horribly, and one rolled off my front rim in a rutted
corner. Slime tubes are definitely a better answer for the thorns we
have around here.

> "Jeremy Watts" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've got a mountain bike and I do a lot of touring on it. Thing is I tend
> > go away for days on end sometimes and so end up taking camping gear.
> Because
> > the bike is loaded down a bit I tend to get more punctures than I would
> > unloaded, and changing a flaat when the bikes got luggage on it is a pain.
> >
> > I was wondering whether there is such a thing as solid tyres ie. tyres
> that
> > are solid rubber and have no inner tube. I know old bikes sometimes have
> > this type of tyre but I cant say I've seen them for 26in wheel mountain
> > bikes.
> >
> > Anyone know if anybody makes them?
> >
> > --
> > rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving
> > posting problems, or contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/
> > Please read the charter before posting: http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home