PDA

View Full Version : Vuelta a Espana on OLN

Radical1
September 6th 04, 06:08 PM
is the Vuelta a Espana not going to be broadcast on the Outdoor Life
Network this year? I can't seem to find it on their schedule, except
for an October date that looks like a high-lights program.

Faster Bordello
September 6th 04, 08:08 PM
Radical1 wrote:

> is the Vuelta a Espana not going to be broadcast on the Outdoor Life
> Network this year? I can't seem to find it on their schedule, except
> for an October date that looks like a high-lights program.
no

Ali
September 7th 04, 05:09 PM
Faster Bordello > wrote in message >...
> Radical1 wrote:
>
> > is the Vuelta a Espana not going to be broadcast on the Outdoor Life
> > Network this year? I can't seem to find it on their schedule, except
> > for an October date that looks like a high-lights program.
> no

Too bad. I've about reached my limit on OLN's bull riding and bass
fishing programs. I would have thought, following Lance's victory in
the Tour, any bike race would draw a larger audience than rodeo
re-peats. The VaE was fun to watch last year, even if much of Spain
did look a lot like the Colorado desert.

John Rees
September 7th 04, 06:14 PM
"Ali" > wrote in message
om...
| Faster Bordello > wrote in message
| > Radical1 wrote:
| >
| > > is the Vuelta a Espana not going to be broadcast on the Outdoor Life
| > > Network this year? I can't seem to find it on their schedule, except
| > > for an October date that looks like a high-lights program.
| > no
|
| Too bad. I've about reached my limit on OLN's bull riding and bass
| fishing programs. I would have thought, following Lance's victory in
| the Tour, any bike race would draw a larger audience than rodeo
| re-peats. The VaE was fun to watch last year, even if much of Spain
| did look a lot like the Colorado desert.

I think people have an understandable misunderstanding regarding OLN's
strategy

OLN no longer broadcasts bicycle racing. OLN broadcasts Lance racing a
bicycle.

There is a huge difference :-(

Arous
September 7th 04, 08:29 PM
Unfortunately more people must be watching the Rodeo & Bass Fishing than
Cycling...It's all about viewership (read that as Advertising MONEY)...The
$how with the mo$t viewer$ win$.

You can see and hear the race on your computer...give http://www.lavuelta.tv
a try...It's small streaming video with Spanish commentary but it is the
race just the same!

If you wish to see the Vuelta on TV with Phil, Paul and Bobke...you should
let OLN know...Maybe we'll get it back next year if enough people bitch...

Cordially,
Arous

"Radical1" > wrote in message
om...
> is the Vuelta a Espana not going to be broadcast on the Outdoor Life
> Network this year? I can't seem to find it on their schedule, except
> for an October date that looks like a high-lights program.

Tim Lines
September 7th 04, 10:55 PM
Arous wrote:

> Unfortunately more people must be watching the Rodeo & Bass Fishing than
> Cycling...It's all about viewership (read that as Advertising MONEY)...The
> $how with the mo$t viewer$ win$.

Bass fishing shows have got to be the least expensive thing to produce
in the world too. A fishing pole, a boat, a video camera, a few beers
and away you go. You don't need to fly a bunch of people to Europe,
there are no fish doping controversies and you can make the show as long
or short as you want.

> You can see and hear the race on your computer...give http://www.lavuelta.tv
> a try...It's small streaming video with Spanish commentary but it is the
> race just the same!
>
> If you wish to see the Vuelta on TV with Phil, Paul and Bobke...you should
> let OLN know...Maybe we'll get it back next year if enough people bitch...

And bass fishing show entusiasts don't bitch.

--

--------------------

Remove CLOTHES to reply

Howard Kveck
September 8th 04, 05:43 AM
In article <h7q%c.49731$3l3.30348@attbi_s03>,
Tim Lines > wrote:

> Arous wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately more people must be watching the Rodeo & Bass Fishing than
> > Cycling...It's all about viewership (read that as Advertising MONEY)...The
> > $how with the mo$t viewer$ win$.
>
> Bass fishing shows have got to be the least expensive thing to produce
> in the world too. A fishing pole, a boat, a video camera, a few beers
> and away you go. You don't need to fly a bunch of people to Europe,
> there are no fish doping controversies and you can make the show as long
> or short as you want.

Wasn't there a bit of a stink (so to speak) recently over some guy who
planted fish in cages out on some lake at one of the fishing tournaments?
Granted, fishing shows aren't the same as a fishing tournament, but I guess
it just shows that cheating goes on no matter what the sport.

--
tanx,
Howard

"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."
Albert Einstein

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

TritonRider
September 8th 04, 05:51 AM
>From: Howard Kveck

>Wasn't there a bit of a stink (so to speak) recently over some guy who
>planted fish in cages out on some lake at one of the fishing tournaments?
>Granted, fishing shows aren't the same as a fishing tournament, but I guess
>it just shows that cheating goes on no matter what the sport.
>
>--
> tanx,
> Howard
>
> "Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."
> Albert Einstein
>
> remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

We always used to joke about Curt Gowdy using skin divers to hook fish onto
his line for television. It was always amazing how he caught record size fish
from every place he fished, every show.
If you want some good laughs and some reality get some of "Gadabout" Gaddis'
books. He pioneered fishing tv. I liked the one where a kid he was fishing with
in Florida hooked a Greyhound bus passing by on a bridge they were under and
thought he had a world record.
Bill C

DirtRoadie
September 8th 04, 02:10 PM
"Arous" > wrote in message >...

> You can see and hear the race on your computer...give http://www.lavuelta.tv
> a try

I can't get that link is to work for me. Is it complete?
Thanks.

I did discover that my local cable service (Bresnan) does have TVE, a
Spanish channel that offers Vuelta coverage. It may even have English
via the SAP function although I haven't verified that yet.

DR

Alex Rodriguez
September 8th 04, 06:35 PM
In article >,
says...

>I think people have an understandable misunderstanding regarding OLN's
>strategy
>OLN no longer broadcasts bicycle racing. OLN broadcasts Lance racing a
>bicycle.
>There is a huge difference :-(

Sad but true. They are being very short sighted. Lance will only continue
racing for a couple more years, so they should be developing their audience
for the years post Lance. Carrying the Vuelta would be one way.
-------------
Alex

Alex Rodriguez
September 8th 04, 06:38 PM
In article >,
says...

>Unfortunately more people must be watching the Rodeo & Bass Fishing than
>Cycling...It's all about viewership (read that as Advertising MONEY)...The
>$how with the mo$t viewer$ win$.

TDF coverage has produced OLN's highest ratings ever. So there are plenty
of people who want to watch bicycle racing.
----------------
Alex

Faster Bordello
September 9th 04, 01:19 AM
> I think people have an understandable misunderstanding regarding OLN's
> strategy

yep many have done so

> OLN no longer broadcasts bicycle racing. OLN broadcasts Lance racing a
> bicycle.

Give that man a prize.... best answer by far.

> There is a huge difference :-(

Sadly here is a HUGE difference.

Faster Bordello
September 9th 04, 01:21 AM
Alex Rodriguez wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
>

>>I think people have an understandable misunderstanding regarding OLN's
>>strategy
>>OLN no longer broadcasts bicycle racing. OLN broadcasts Lance racing a
>>bicycle.
>>There is a huge difference :-(
>

> Sad but true. They are being very short sighted. Lance will only continue
> racing for a couple more years, so they should be developing their audience
> for the years post Lance. Carrying the Vuelta would be one way.
> -------------
> Alex

except that since it the Only Lance Channel, they forget that some of us
actually care who else rides and wins. Thye also forgot that we care
where else they do so.;

Ali
September 9th 04, 02:25 AM
I sent the following email to OLN:

Gee guys, I almost wept when I found out OLN wouldn't be broadcasting
the Vuelta a Espana. What happened? I know it would cost a little more
than taping two guys in a boat bass fishing, but I would think the
demographics would make up for the added expense. I mean, after the
umteenth month of bull riding and dirt bike tricks, I would think you
would want to take advantage of "Lance fever". Lance isn't in the
VaE, but recognizable "friends of Lance" certainly are. Did anyone try
offering VaE coverage to any of your Tour De France sponsors?

Demographics guys! Think Demographics!

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home