PDA

View Full Version : More Noob: Cat 5 25 Miler Pace?

Keith AlexanderŽ
September 14th 04, 01:15 AM
I've been practicing drafting and grup riding the past few days.
It's so much easier to keep a good pace (22MPH) with help.

I know it's an open ended question, but what pace should I be
shooting for when I ride solo? All interval and climbing aside.

Thanks again. Some very helpful riders here.

---
k e i t h a l e x a n d e r
http://www.nootrope.net
http://www.modernamerican.com
aim: nootrope9 gogogo

- - e n d t r a n s m i s s i o n - -

Ryan Cousineau
September 14th 04, 02:15 AM
In article >,
Keith Alexander? > wrote:

> I've been practicing drafting and grup riding the past few days.
> It's so much easier to keep a good pace (22MPH) with help.
>
> I know it's an open ended question, but what pace should I be
> shooting for when I ride solo? All interval and climbing aside.
>
> Thanks again. Some very helpful riders here.

We try. As a benchmark, consider TT times. Here's some results from a
not-completely-flat 38.5 km TT:

http://www.escapevelocity.bc.ca/ttresults04.html

The Cat 5 and Junior riders posted times somewhere between 52 and 65
minutes. That fast time is probably an outlier: the winning time in Cats
3, 4, and 5 were all 52 minutes.

The short answer is that 40 km/h is a respectable TT pace for a low-cat
racer. You will be neither first nor last at that speed. It's also close
to the average speed I see in my hilly training crits (Cat 4), so there
you go.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

Keith AlexanderŽ
September 14th 04, 02:49 AM
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:15:03 -0700, Ryan Cousineau >
wrote:
> the winning time in Cats 3, 4, and 5 were all 52 minutes.

*** Goddamnit...

:-)

Thanks!

---
k e i t h a l e x a n d e r
http://www.nootrope.net
http://www.modernamerican.com
aim: nootrope9 gogogo

- - e n d t r a n s m i s s i o n - -

Kurgan Gringioni
September 14th 04, 03:17 AM
Keith Alexander wrote:
> I've been practicing drafting and grup riding the past few days.
> It's so much easier to keep a good pace (22MPH) with help.
>
> I know it's an open ended question, but what pace should I be
> shooting for when I ride solo?

Hello -

A 30 mph average would be considered a very respectable pace.
good luck!

K. Gringioni

Keith Alexander
September 14th 04, 08:29 PM
"Kurgan Gringioni" > wrote in message

> A 30 mph average would be considered a very respectable pace.
> good luck!

*** Whoa.

30MPH?

Respectable indeed! And thanks.