PDA

View Full Version : Roll and beer

Dave Stoller
September 19th 04, 04:22 AM
Does anyone know about Bob Roll riding for a team sponsored by Anchor
Brewing or Anchor Steam ? I remember a photo in Velonews back in the day
where Bob Roll had an Anchor Steam ( great beer from SanFran) jersey on?
If I can recall it was for a team just for the Red Zinger/Coors Classic. I
remember distincly because that is how I first learned of the beer.
http://anchorbrewing.com/

Dave

Richard Adams
September 19th 04, 04:17 PM
Dave Stoller wrote:
> Does anyone know about Bob Roll riding for a team sponsored by Anchor
> Brewing or Anchor Steam ? I remember a photo in Velonews back in the day
> where Bob Roll had an Anchor Steam ( great beer from SanFran) jersey on?
> If I can recall it was for a team just for the Red Zinger/Coors Classic. I
> remember distincly because that is how I first learned of the beer.
> http://anchorbrewing.com/
>
> Dave

Bob was a character in his day, probably wore it to a local race somewhere.

Papai Digital
September 20th 04, 05:25 PM
"Dave Stoller" >...
> Does anyone know about Bob Roll riding for a team sponsored by Anchor
> Brewing or Anchor Steam ? I remember a photo in Velonews back in the day
> where Bob Roll had an Anchor Steam ( great beer from SanFran) jersey on?
> If I can recall it was for a team just for the Red Zinger/Coors Classic. I
> remember distincly because that is how I first learned of the beer.
> http://anchorbrewing.com/

Anchor Brewing Co. was a primary sponsor of the California Road Club
team, which is based in SF and Marin. Especially look for their
1997-99 team kits.

Anchor is THE pioneer for ALL N. American microbreweries. Anchor was
saved by Fritz Maytag's purchase c. 1968 and the rest is history for
beer lovers, beer snobs and aficianados like me.

-Ken

Curtis L. Russell
September 20th 04, 07:34 PM
On 20 Sep 2004 09:25:07 -0700, (Papai Digital)
wrote:

>Anchor is THE pioneer for ALL N. American microbreweries. Anchor was
>saved by Fritz Maytag's purchase c. 1968 and the rest is history for
>beer lovers, beer snobs and aficianados like me.

Dunno about that. My dad was with a bunch of military police and feds
that raided some microbreweries in Virginia. They were more into 56,57
Chevies than bicycle racing, though. Doubt they meant the same thing
when they used the term 'rye'.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Dave Stoller
September 21st 04, 04:22 AM
Huh, I think that you are confusing microbreweries with stills for making
moonshine. Anchor has never been "underground". It is beer mecca.

"Curtis L. Russell" > wrote in message
> On 20 Sep 2004 09:25:07 -0700, (Papai Digital)
> wrote:
>
> >Anchor is THE pioneer for ALL N. American microbreweries. Anchor was
> >saved by Fritz Maytag's purchase c. 1968 and the rest is history for
> >beer lovers, beer snobs and aficianados like me.
>
> Dunno about that. My dad was with a bunch of military police and feds
> that raided some microbreweries in Virginia. They were more into 56,57
> Chevies than bicycle racing, though. Doubt they meant the same thing
> when they used the term 'rye'.
>
> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels...

Dick Durbin
September 21st 04, 01:39 PM
(Papai Digital) wrote in message >...
> Anchor is THE pioneer for ALL N. American microbreweries. Anchor was
> saved by Fritz Maytag's purchase c. 1968 and the rest is history for
> beer lovers, beer snobs and aficianados like me.

Anchor has a fairly long relationship with bike racing. I recall
that, back in the '70s, Nikola Farak-Ban (sp?)aka The Bike Barb, a
recurring figure in the bike racing paper Competitive Cycling, was
quite a fan of Anchor. Mike J, you remember him, don't you?

Dick Durbin

Curtis L. Russell
September 21st 04, 02:14 PM
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 23:22:40 -0400, "Dave Stoller"
> wrote:

>Huh, I think that you are confusing microbreweries with stills for making
>moonshine. Anchor has never been "underground". It is beer mecca.

Some would argue the main differences is fewer taxes paid and no
labels on the mason jars. 'Course they never much wasted time with
making beer.

Sure liked the 56 Chevies, too.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Tom Simonson
September 21st 04, 04:34 PM
Dick Durbin > wrote:
> (Papai Digital) wrote
>> Anchor is THE pioneer for ALL N. American microbreweries. Anchor was
>> saved by Fritz Maytag's purchase c. 1968 and the rest is history for
>> beer lovers, beer snobs and aficianados like me.

> Anchor has a fairly long relationship with bike racing. I recall
> that, back in the '70s, Nikola Farak-Ban (sp?)aka The Bike Barb, a
> recurring figure in the bike racing paper Competitive Cycling, was
> quite a fan of Anchor. Mike J, you remember him, don't you?

> Dick Durbin

I think that Anchor's first sponsorship was of the tandem team of Otis Guy
and Joe Breeze in their attempt to set a transcontinental record - this
probably would have been around 1976. Of course, their tandem (built by
Eisentraut?) was dubbed the Anchor Steamer. Unfortunately Joe developed
horrible knee problems that ruined the attempt and greatly limited his
riding for some time.

I would guess that Bob's jersey came from a composite team at the
Coors/Zinger - there were usually a number of such teams assembled. Bob
started out with Berkeley BC - I can't remember who he went to before being
picked up by 7-11 around '86 or '87, but I don't think that there was a
regular team sponsored by Anchor at that time.

The one Bob Roll item that I would like to find is my nametag from Perko's
(a Dennys-like chain) like all the wait staff wore - Bob worked there (in
the kitchen I think) and made them for a bunch of us. There used to be a
Perko's in Danville that came in handy - we were coming back from a long
ride and Bob took all our water bottles and went in and filled them with
Coke that gave us a little boost for the last 25 miles or so.

---
Tom Simonson, Oakland CA
(incorrect email address in header)

Craig Brossman
September 21st 04, 07:25 PM
Papai Digital wrote:

> Anchor is THE pioneer for ALL N. American microbreweries. Anchor was
> saved by Fritz Maytag's purchase c. 1968 and the rest is history for
> beer lovers, beer snobs and aficianados like me.
>
> -Ken

Yuengling since 1829, Anchor since 1896.
you be the judge http://www.yuengling.com
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
remove "mydebt" to reply

gym gravity
September 21st 04, 07:57 PM
Craig Brossman wrote:

> Papai Digital wrote:
>
>> Anchor is THE pioneer for ALL N. American microbreweries. Anchor was
>> saved by Fritz Maytag's purchase c. 1968 and the rest is history for
>> beer lovers, beer snobs and aficianados like me.
>>
>> -Ken
>

> Yuengling since 1829, Anchor since 1896.
> you be the judge http://www.yuengling.com

Older, maybe, but better???

I don't get Yuengling, were they bought by Budweiser or Coors or
somehting? How did they ever get so big so fast?

Clovis Lark
September 21st 04, 08:18 PM
Craig Brossman > wrote:
> Papai Digital wrote:

>> Anchor is THE pioneer for ALL N. American microbreweries. Anchor was
>> saved by Fritz Maytag's purchase c. 1968 and the rest is history for
>> beer lovers, beer snobs and aficianados like me.
>>
>> -Ken

> Yuengling since 1829, Anchor since 1896.
> you be the judge http://www.yuengling.com
> --
> Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
> remove "mydebt" to reply

Age is no criterion. You must know Avery, yea they're only 11 years old.
Their Salvation and Reverand Belgian style ales are perhaps the best beer
I've tried made in the states (and I've tried way too many!).

Clovis Lark
September 21st 04, 08:20 PM
gym gravity > wrote:
> Craig Brossman wrote:

>> Papai Digital wrote:
>>
>>> Anchor is THE pioneer for ALL N. American microbreweries. Anchor was
>>> saved by Fritz Maytag's purchase c. 1968 and the rest is history for
>>> beer lovers, beer snobs and aficianados like me.
>>>
>>> -Ken
>>

>> Yuengling since 1829, Anchor since 1896.
>> you be the judge http://www.yuengling.com

> Older, maybe, but better???

> I don't get Yuengling, were they bought by Budweiser or Coors or
> somehting? How did they ever get so big so fast?

500,000 barrels, buying up Stroh's FL site, building another site in PA
and this is being presented as a MICRObrewery?

Craig Brossman
September 21st 04, 10:42 PM
Clovis Lark wrote:

> Age is no criterion. You must know Avery, yea they're only 11 years old.
> Their Salvation and Reverand Belgian style ales are perhaps the best beer
> I've tried made in the states (and I've tried way too many!).

If we are talking Avery Brewing out of Boulder, yes I used to play
basketball with Adam. I much prefer Tripel.
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
remove "mydebt" to reply

Craig Brossman
September 21st 04, 10:43 PM
Clovis Lark wrote:

> 500,000 barrels, buying up Stroh's FL site, building another site in PA
> and this is being presented as a MICRObrewery?

Agreed, but not in 1829.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
remove "mydebt" to reply

Richard Adams
September 21st 04, 11:00 PM
gym gravity > wrote in message >...
> Craig Brossman wrote:
>
> > Papai Digital wrote:
> >
> >> Anchor is THE pioneer for ALL N. American microbreweries. Anchor was
> >> saved by Fritz Maytag's purchase c. 1968 and the rest is history for
> >> beer lovers, beer snobs and aficianados like me.
> >>
> >> -Ken
> >

> > Yuengling since 1829, Anchor since 1896.
> > you be the judge http://www.yuengling.com
>
> Older, maybe, but better???
>
> I don't get Yuengling, were they bought by Budweiser or Coors or
> somehting? How did they ever get so big so fast?

Last I knew they were still family owned, but that was about 10 years ago.
They had a honey beer that was awesome. I see they no longer ship beer.

clovis lark
September 22nd 04, 10:37 PM
Craig Brossman > wrote in message >...
> Clovis Lark wrote:
>

> > Age is no criterion. You must know Avery, yea they're only 11 years old.
> > Their Salvation and Reverand Belgian style ales are perhaps the best beer
> > I've tried made in the states (and I've tried way too many!).
>
> If we are talking Avery Brewing out of Boulder, yes I used to play
> basketball with Adam. I much prefer Tripel.

Since you are in Durango, try the two I mention above and get back to me.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home