PDA

View Full Version : Riding with a 'follow' car

Badger_South
September 19th 04, 09:47 PM
There's some roads around here I'd like to ride, but the traffic is 55mph
and no shoulders (Keswick, Va), or 40mph and full of sightseers (Skyline
Drive, Shenandoah Ntl Park Trail), so I'm thinking of doing some early
morning rides with a follow car.

There's another route I'd love to ride that's only 30mph, but it's a
favorite of little red sports cars that cut the corners and ride the road
edge up blind rises and corners - I wouldn't feel safe riding without a
follow car.

I'm wondering if this is an acceptable procedure - I'd be riding at an avg
speed of 20mph in a 40-50mph zone, with the car about 15-20 feet behind me
as a buffer. Certainly I wouldn't do this during rush hour

-B

Bill
September 20th 04, 12:59 AM
"Badger_South" > wrote in message

> There's some roads around here I'd like to ride, but the traffic is 55mph
> and no shoulders (Keswick, Va), or 40mph and full of sightseers (Skyline
> Drive, Shenandoah Ntl Park Trail), so I'm thinking of doing some early
> morning rides with a follow car.
>
> There's another route I'd love to ride that's only 30mph, but it's a
> favorite of little red sports cars that cut the corners and ride the road
> edge up blind rises and corners - I wouldn't feel safe riding without a
> follow car.
>
> I'm wondering if this is an acceptable procedure - I'd be riding at an avg
> speed of 20mph in a 40-50mph zone, with the car about 15-20 feet behind me
> as a buffer. Certainly I wouldn't do this during rush hour
>
> -B

I've ridden the Sky Line and BRP end to end in both directions and have
never had an uncomfortable encounter with a car or RV. They are my favorite
rides. The only Place where traffic is an issue is around Ashville. Ashville
is a problem because a couple of sections can actually be use as shortcuts
for local traffic, elsewhere the road is not effective for local
transportation.

As for the tourists, they are actually ok because they are in no hurry. Lots
of time to be patient.
Bill Brannon

Badger_South
September 20th 04, 01:35 AM
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:59:27 GMT, "Bill" > wrote:

>"Badger_South" > wrote in message
>>
>> There's some roads around here I'd like to ride, but the traffic is 55mph
>> and no shoulders (Keswick, Va), or 40mph and full of sightseers (Skyline
>> Drive, Shenandoah Ntl Park Trail), so I'm thinking of doing some early
>> morning rides with a follow car.
>>
>> There's another route I'd love to ride that's only 30mph, but it's a
>> favorite of little red sports cars that cut the corners and ride the road
>> edge up blind rises and corners - I wouldn't feel safe riding without a
>> follow car.
>>
>> I'm wondering if this is an acceptable procedure - I'd be riding at an avg
>> speed of 20mph in a 40-50mph zone, with the car about 15-20 feet behind me
>> as a buffer. Certainly I wouldn't do this during rush hour
>>
>> -B
>>
>I've ridden the Sky Line and BRP end to end in both directions and have
>never had an uncomfortable encounter with a car or RV. They are my favorite
>rides. The only Place where traffic is an issue is around Ashville. Ashville
>is a problem because a couple of sections can actually be use as shortcuts
>for local traffic, elsewhere the road is not effective for local
>transportation.
>
>As for the tourists, they are actually ok because they are in no hurry. Lots
>of time to be patient.
>Bill Brannon

Thanks, Bill. How long ago was that? I've read some recent reports that it
was unsafe at times (peak season in the Fall?). I'd be riding in the area
near Waynesboro, Va.

Back in the 70s I imagine it was really nice riding there, but I'd be
worrying now-a-days... Sometimes it's the -perceived- risk that's a
problem, ya know. ;-)

-B

Howard Kveck
September 20th 04, 05:18 AM
In article >,
Badger_South > wrote:

> There's some roads around here I'd like to ride, but the traffic is 55mph
> and no shoulders (Keswick, Va), or 40mph and full of sightseers (Skyline
> Drive, Shenandoah Ntl Park Trail), so I'm thinking of doing some early
> morning rides with a follow car.
>
> There's another route I'd love to ride that's only 30mph, but it's a
> favorite of little red sports cars that cut the corners and ride the road
> edge up blind rises and corners - I wouldn't feel safe riding without a
> follow car.
>
> I'm wondering if this is an acceptable procedure - I'd be riding at an avg
> speed of 20mph in a 40-50mph zone, with the car about 15-20 feet behind me
> as a buffer. Certainly I wouldn't do this during rush hour
>
> -B

I think having a follow car on roads like that would cause more
problems, seeing as how it would be holding up traffic. You get a little
red sports car blasting up over a blind rise and there's a car crawling
(relatively speaking) along and there's an accident waiting to happen. I
wouldn't do it.

--
tanx,
Howard

"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."
Albert Einstein

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

RWM
September 20th 04, 05:39 AM
"Howard Kveck" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Badger_South > wrote:
>
> > There's some roads around here I'd like to ride, but the traffic is
55mph
> > and no shoulders (Keswick, Va), or 40mph and full of sightseers (Skyline
> > Drive, Shenandoah Ntl Park Trail), so I'm thinking of doing some early
> > morning rides with a follow car.
> >
> > There's another route I'd love to ride that's only 30mph, but it's a
> > favorite of little red sports cars that cut the corners and ride the
road
> > edge up blind rises and corners - I wouldn't feel safe riding without a
> > follow car.
> >
> > I'm wondering if this is an acceptable procedure - I'd be riding at an
avg
> > speed of 20mph in a 40-50mph zone, with the car about 15-20 feet behind
me
> > as a buffer. Certainly I wouldn't do this during rush hour
> >
> > -B
>
> I think having a follow car on roads like that would cause more
> problems, seeing as how it would be holding up traffic. You get a little
> red sports car blasting up over a blind rise and there's a car crawling
> (relatively speaking) along and there's an accident waiting to happen. I
> wouldn't do it.

I don't understand the difference from the little red sports car blasting up
over a blind rise and into the follow car, or the bike. It sounds like both
have the same chance of accident, and I would rather it hit the follow car
than him on the bike.

Badger_South
September 20th 04, 06:38 AM
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 04:18:07 GMT, Howard Kveck >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Badger_South > wrote:
>
>> There's some roads around here I'd like to ride, but the traffic is 55mph
>> and no shoulders (Keswick, Va), or 40mph and full of sightseers (Skyline
>> Drive, Shenandoah Ntl Park Trail), so I'm thinking of doing some early
>> morning rides with a follow car.
>>
>> There's another route I'd love to ride that's only 30mph, but it's a
>> favorite of little red sports cars that cut the corners and ride the road
>> edge up blind rises and corners - I wouldn't feel safe riding without a
>> follow car.
>>
>> I'm wondering if this is an acceptable procedure - I'd be riding at an avg
>> speed of 20mph in a 40-50mph zone, with the car about 15-20 feet behind me
>> as a buffer. Certainly I wouldn't do this during rush hour
>>
>> -B
>
> I think having a follow car on roads like that would cause more
>problems, seeing as how it would be holding up traffic. You get a little
>red sports car blasting up over a blind rise and there's a car crawling
>(relatively speaking) along and there's an accident waiting to happen. I
>wouldn't do it.

Well I was hoping for an informed opinion, but thanks. As you may know the
RAAM uses a follow car/van/RV. I was wondering if anyone else used this
kind of technique.

-B

Badger_South
September 20th 04, 06:39 AM
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:39:26 -0700, "RWM" > wrote:

>> > I'm wondering if this is an acceptable procedure - I'd be riding at an
>avg
>> > speed of 20mph in a 40-50mph zone, with the car about 15-20 feet behind
>me
>> > as a buffer. Certainly I wouldn't do this during rush hour
>> >
>> > -B
>>
>> I think having a follow car on roads like that would cause more
>> problems, seeing as how it would be holding up traffic. You get a little
>> red sports car blasting up over a blind rise and there's a car crawling
>> (relatively speaking) along and there's an accident waiting to happen. I
>> wouldn't do it.
>>

>I don't understand the difference from the little red sports car blasting up
>over a blind rise and into the follow car, or the bike. It sounds like both
>have the same chance of accident, and I would rather it hit the follow car
>than him on the bike.

Well, yeah, if it hit the follow car, (unlikely) then it would be their
fault for rear-ending, and at least they wouldn't hit me on the bike. Lots
of people use this - I've seen LA using it though he rides a lot faster
than 20 mph. ;-)

-B

Bill
September 20th 04, 01:35 PM
<snip>

> >I've ridden the Sky Line and BRP end to end in both directions and have
> >never had an uncomfortable encounter with a car or RV. They are my
favorite
> >rides. The only Place where traffic is an issue is around Ashville.
Ashville
> >is a problem because a couple of sections can actually be use as
shortcuts
> >for local traffic, elsewhere the road is not effective for local
> >transportation.
> >
> >As for the tourists, they are actually ok because they are in no hurry.
Lots
> >of time to be patient.
> >Bill Brannon
> >

> Thanks, Bill. How long ago was that? I've read some recent reports that it
> was unsafe at times (peak season in the Fall?). I'd be riding in the area
> near Waynesboro, Va.
>
> Back in the 70s I imagine it was really nice riding there, but I'd be
> worrying now-a-days... Sometimes it's the -perceived- risk that's a
> problem, ya know. ;-)
>
> -B

2 years ago and 6 or 7 years ago, recent in geologic time. I'll do it again
in a couple of years. Avoid the fog, Good judgment is always in order.
Sunday afternoon at peak foliage is also going to be peak traffic. A follow
car seems like an extremely selfish act. Given the nature of that road,
going 6-8 mph up hill for miles seems like an inappropriate obstruction. I
would bet money that the rangers would force you to stop. Just make sure you
take enough of the road that cars are not tempted to pass you and an
oncoming car at the same time. If it's not safe to pass then take the whole
lane until it is. Actively managing overtaking traffic is a survival skill.

Enjoy the ride. There is less traffic south of Waynesboro. If you have not
ridden the parkway then give it a try. Wait until a week after the foliage
is gone and you will have the whole road to yourself. Plus you will have no
leaves to obstruct the views.

This should really be at r.b.misc
Bill

Peter Allen
September 20th 04, 01:42 PM
Badger_South > wrote in message >...
> There's some roads around here I'd like to ride, but the traffic is 55mph
> and no shoulders (Keswick, Va), or 40mph and full of sightseers (Skyline
> Drive, Shenandoah Ntl Park Trail), so I'm thinking of doing some early
> morning rides with a follow car.
>
> There's another route I'd love to ride that's only 30mph, but it's a
> favorite of little red sports cars that cut the corners and ride the road
> edge up blind rises and corners - I wouldn't feel safe riding without a
> follow car.
>
> I'm wondering if this is an acceptable procedure - I'd be riding at an avg
> speed of 20mph in a 40-50mph zone, with the car about 15-20 feet behind me
> as a buffer. Certainly I wouldn't do this during rush hour

Only potential problem I can see, apart from persuading some poor sod
to follow your butt around for a few hours, is that you might get cars
sweeping out to overtake your follow car and diving back in on top of
you before they saw you - would probably be fine if you were 15 feet
in front of the car, but much more and you might have troubles.

Peter

gds
September 20th 04, 04:22 PM
Badger_South > wrote in message > >> There's some roads around here I'd like to ride, but the traffic is 55mph
> >> and no shoulders (Keswick, Va), or 40mph and full of sightseers (Skyline
> >> Drive, Shenandoah Ntl Park Trail), so I'm thinking of doing some early
> >> morning rides with a follow car.
> >>
> >> There's another route I'd love to ride that's only 30mph, but it's a
> >> favorite of little red sports cars that cut the corners and ride the road
> >> edge up blind rises and corners - I wouldn't feel safe riding without a
> >> follow car.
> >>
> >> I'm wondering if this is an acceptable procedure - I'd be riding at an avg
> >> speed of 20mph in a 40-50mph zone, with the car about 15-20 feet behind me
> >> as a buffer. Certainly I wouldn't do this during rush hour
> >>
> >> -B

There are two, separable questions here. Using a support vehicle to
protect a rider along a shoulder is one thing. It is done quite often
on supported rides. But you are proposing using a vehicle to protect
you on a narrow road, no shoulder at a speed about half the legal
limit.
To my mind that is simply rude and is one of the ways we cyclists
create road rage.

I think that we have to be aware of our impact on other road users.
Exersizing our "right" to ride on roads where it isn't safe to do so
just because we want to doesn't cut it in my mind.

amh
September 20th 04, 04:50 PM
Badger_South > wrote in message >...
> There's some roads around here I'd like to ride, but the traffic is 55mph
> and no shoulders (Keswick, Va), or 40mph and full of sightseers (Skyline
> Drive, Shenandoah Ntl Park Trail), so I'm thinking of doing some early
> morning rides with a follow car.
>
> There's another route I'd love to ride that's only 30mph, but it's a
> favorite of little red sports cars that cut the corners and ride the road
> edge up blind rises and corners - I wouldn't feel safe riding without a
> follow car.
>
> I'm wondering if this is an acceptable procedure - I'd be riding at an avg
> speed of 20mph in a 40-50mph zone, with the car about 15-20 feet behind me
> as a buffer. Certainly I wouldn't do this during rush hour
>
> -B

I ride in an area where a group uses a following car as a sag wagon
rather than safety. It is kind of annoying since when they go by me
the following car lingers with me and the sluggards in the back. The
driver sometimes tows riders up to the group which involves getting
dangerously close to me and I don't appreciate that.

My question to you is what is the draw for a 55 mph road without a
shoulder? Are you using it to link one part of a ride to another? Is
it particularly scenic/challenging/convient? What is the traffic flow
like? I just did a ride in Vermont that had a stretch of Rt100 on it
(50 mph limit with little shoulder) traffic was light (1 car every few
minutes) so I didn't feel uncomfortable.

There have been many cyclists who have ridden the Blue Ridge/Skyline
Drive without incident. I'd be even less worried there.

It is a matter of personal preference. I'm more comfortable with
traffic conditions others would be scared by. You may or may not get
used to it.

As far as the following car I'd be more worried about it since you are
giving motorists little or no chance to pass you and your car. At
least without the car following the motorists behind you can pass
(hopefully cautiously). A motorist may get angry about moving out of
the way for you on a bicycle. But that same motorist may go into road
rage at the sight of you and your car doing 20 in a 55 zone where he
can't pass you.

Andy

Boyd Speerschneider
September 21st 04, 02:34 AM
Badger_South > wrote in
:

> There's some roads around here I'd like to ride, but the traffic is 55mph
> and no shoulders (Keswick, Va), or 40mph and full of sightseers (Skyline
> Drive, Shenandoah Ntl Park Trail), so I'm thinking of doing some early
> morning rides with a follow car.
>
> There's another route I'd love to ride that's only 30mph, but it's a
> favorite of little red sports cars that cut the corners and ride the road
> edge up blind rises and corners - I wouldn't feel safe riding without a
> follow car.
>
> I'm wondering if this is an acceptable procedure - I'd be riding at an avg
> speed of 20mph in a 40-50mph zone, with the car about 15-20 feet behind me
> as a buffer. Certainly I wouldn't do this during rush hour
>
> -B

Don't forget your tampon and/or diaper.
What's the point?
If you're going to have a follow car, you might as well just drive there.
Then stay inside and ride the trainer.
Seriously, I bet if you looked hard enough on a county map you could find
some very ridable roads.

- Boyd S.
commutes 20 miles daily to / from downtown Tampa in the worst traffic ever

Howard Kveck
September 21st 04, 06:35 AM
In article >,
Badger_South > wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 04:18:07 GMT, Howard Kveck >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Badger_South > wrote:
> >
> >> There's some roads around here I'd like to ride, but the traffic is 55mph
> >> and no shoulders (Keswick, Va), or 40mph and full of sightseers (Skyline
> >> Drive, Shenandoah Ntl Park Trail), so I'm thinking of doing some early
> >> morning rides with a follow car.
> >>
> >> There's another route I'd love to ride that's only 30mph, but it's a
> >> favorite of little red sports cars that cut the corners and ride the road
> >> edge up blind rises and corners - I wouldn't feel safe riding without a
> >> follow car.
> >>
> >> I'm wondering if this is an acceptable procedure - I'd be riding at an avg
> >> speed of 20mph in a 40-50mph zone, with the car about 15-20 feet behind me
> >> as a buffer. Certainly I wouldn't do this during rush hour
> >>
> >> -B
> >
> > I think having a follow car on roads like that would cause more
> >problems, seeing as how it would be holding up traffic. You get a little
> >red sports car blasting up over a blind rise and there's a car crawling
> >(relatively speaking) along and there's an accident waiting to happen. I
> >wouldn't do it.
>
> Well I was hoping for an informed opinion, but thanks. As you may know the
> RAAM uses a follow car/van/RV. I was wondering if anyone else used this
> kind of technique.
>
> -B

Well, you didn't say you were riding RAAM, did you? You're just a guy
who wants to ride his bike on a narrow, shoulderless road with fast moving
traffic. You don't see that having a car driving slowly in a traffic lane
when you're just out for a ride is kind of rude? Someone's going to come up
behind that car and wonder why it won't pass the guy on the bike. Then when
they figure out it's blocking for you, that driver is likely to be ****ed.
Next cyclist he sees (and it might be you), well, you take a guess what'll
happen. If you want to ride on a narrow, shoulderless road with fast moving
traffic, I'd think you ought to just suck it up and go do it on your own.
Either that, or find some road where it's a bit less hectic to ride.

By the way, by "informed opinion", I can now assume you meant "opinion
that matches my own." I just gave you my honest opinion, no more, no less.

--
tanx,
Howard

"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."
Albert Einstein

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Chris
September 21st 04, 03:59 PM
"Badger_South" > wrote in message

> Well I was hoping for an informed opinion, but thanks. As you may know the
> RAAM uses a follow car/van/RV. I was wondering if anyone else used this
> kind of technique.

No, DAMN IT, NO! OK? That is an informed opinion, evidently much more
informed than your own. When I read your OP, I thought is was a troll, that
is how stupid your idea is.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home