PDA

View Full Version : Round the World on a Wheel

Brenda Lacey, Rex Button
August 17th 04, 04:59 PM
Anyone familiar with the book "Round the World on a Wheel: Being the
Narrative of a Bicycle Ride Through Seventeen Countries ..."? It's by Sir
John Foster Fraser (and others, I believe).

Could someone give me an idea of what it's like? Is it about politics or
bicycling, or both?

Thanks!

Dan Gregory
August 17th 04, 08:28 PM
"Brenda Lacey, Rex Button" > wrote in message
> Anyone familiar with the book "Round the World on a Wheel: Being the
> Narrative of a Bicycle Ride Through Seventeen Countries ..."? It's by Sir
> John Foster Fraser (and others, I believe).
>
> Could someone give me an idea of what it's like? Is it about politics or
> bicycling, or both?
It's a ripping yarn! Easy reading and full of adventures as the intrepid
trio set off on a journey that takes them "through seventeen countries
covering
19287 miles in 774 days".
I found my copy in a remainders bookshop and really enjoyed it. I very
rarely read travel books preferring good contemporary literary fiction .
I'll have to read it again to refresh myself.
Great stuff.
All the best
Dan Gregory

---

David Dermott
August 18th 04, 12:31 PM
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Brenda Lacey, Rex Button wrote:

> Anyone familiar with the book "Round the World on a Wheel: Being the
> Narrative of a Bicycle Ride Through Seventeen Countries ..."? It's by Sir
> John Foster Fraser (and others, I believe).

I thought I had that book, but on checking what I have is a different
book with a similar name:

"AROUND THE WORLD AWHEEL" by Brian Kinsman, based on the diaries
of Karl Creelman.

Karl Creelman, of Truro Nova Scotia, cycled around the world in
1899-1901.

A tragic story in several ways. Creelman caught malaria (plus dengue
fever) on his travels and the disease kept returning the rest of his
life, eventually killing him at the early age of 46. He had intended to
write a book about his trip but never got around to it.

So Kinsman's account is not as good as what Creelman himself would
have wrote.

Published by Lancelot Press (1993) ISBN 0-88999-544-3

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:

Brenda Lacey, Rex Button
August 18th 04, 12:43 PM
Don't suppose you know where I could get a copy? I've tried online searches
but all I can turn up is a read-aloud version on tapes; that's not what I
want.

Thanks for the info.

Dan Gregory wrote in message ...
>It's a ripping yarn! Easy reading and full of adventures as the intrepid
>trio set off on a journey that takes them "through seventeen countries
>covering
>19287 miles in 774 days".
>I found my copy in a remainders bookshop and really enjoyed it. I very
>rarely read travel books preferring good contemporary literary fiction .
>I'll have to read it again to refresh myself.
>Great stuff.
>All the best
>Dan Gregory
>

>---

Brenda Lacey, Rex Button
August 18th 04, 12:44 PM
Ya, that's a different one. But it sounds good and I'm adding it to my list.
Thanks!

David Dermott wrote in message ...
> I thought I had that book, but on checking what I have is a different
>book with a similar name:
>
> "AROUND THE WORLD AWHEEL" by Brian Kinsman, based on the diaries
>of Karl Creelman.
>
> Karl Creelman, of Truro Nova Scotia, cycled around the world in
>1899-1901.
>
> A tragic story in several ways. Creelman caught malaria (plus dengue
>fever) on his travels and the disease kept returning the rest of his
>life, eventually killing him at the early age of 46. He had intended to
>write a book about his trip but never got around to it.
>
> So Kinsman's account is not as good as what Creelman himself would
>have wrote.
>
> Published by Lancelot Press (1993) ISBN 0-88999-544-3
>
>--
>
> David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
> email:
> WWW pages: http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/

Dan Gregory
August 18th 04, 09:16 PM
"Brenda Lacey, Rex Button" > wrote in message
> Don't suppose you know where I could get a copy? I've tried online
searches
> but all I can turn up is a read-aloud version on tapes; that's not what I
> want.
As I found mine in a remaindered bookshop I don't know if there are any left
but here are the details :- ISBN 0 7088 4268 2 Republished in the UK in 1989
by Futura Books
Original edition 1899 Thomas Nelson.
Next time I go to Hay on Wye I'll see if there are any copies there.
Good hunting
Dan Gregory

---

Dan Gregory
August 18th 04, 09:27 PM
Abebooks have one copy listed
http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=330385994
they will do mail order...
All the best
Dan Gregory

---

rhnb
August 22nd 04, 07:50 PM
Brenda Lacey, Rex Button wrote:
> Don't suppose you know where I could get a copy? I've tried online
> searches but all I can turn up is a read-aloud version on tapes;
> that's not what I want.
>
> Thanks for the info.

There are a few copies of it available here...
http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?imagefield.x=45&cm_re=A*Search+Box*Form&tn=world+on+a+wheel&imagefield.y=11

Cheeers... Allan.
~~~
http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/index.htm
Italian Cycle tour reports and the home of...
Cycling Before Lycra

Janet
August 23rd 04, 05:13 AM
rhnb wrote:
> Brenda Lacey, Rex Button wrote:
>
>>Don't suppose you know where I could get a copy? I've tried online
>>searches but all I can turn up is a read-aloud version on tapes;
>>that's not what I want.
>>
>>Thanks for the info.
>

> There are a few copies of it available here...
> http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?imagefield.x=45&cm_re=A*Search+Box*Form&tn=world+on+a+wheel&imagefield.y=11
>
> Cheeers... Allan.
> ~~~
> http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/index.htm
> Italian Cycle tour reports and the home of...
> Cycling Before Lycra

You can also try Amazon.com
Besides new, they also sell some used books and have a couple of links
to othere sites that sell used books.

Janet

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home