PDA

View Full Version : Cycling in Alabama

Shirley Hicks
August 17th 04, 07:26 PM
Was visiting friends in Birmingham, Alabama this past weekend and I
had taken my hardtail mountain bicycle along so that I could get in
some badly needed exercise. I have dual configurations for my
hardtail, with a set of rims and slicks for city riding and a second
set of rims and knobbies for off-road.

I did not have much fun.

I had gone out for a spin around the neighbourhoods of Vestavia Hills
and Cahaba Heights. The roads were narrow, the shoulders non-existent,
the storm sewers large and open enough to swallow small children, cats
and dogs, let alone bicycle wheels, and with sloped pans than
necessitated my moving out into the lane of traffic to ride around
them. Traffic moved swiftly along the narrow roads, and I was more of
an obstacle to overly large vehicles than an alternate means of
transport. I felt more endangered than a bouncing hubcap on the 401.
(that's a Canadian reference - all you who have driven it will
understand what I mean!)

For those who know the city, I was riding around The Summit area, and
in the hills directly to the east, staying on the easterly side of the
280.

When I checked in at Cahaba Cycling on Pumphouse Rd, the guys at the
shop were generally helpful, but did say that there was very, little
safe riding in the city and that no, there were no cycling road maps
available that rated road safety, traffic flows and shoulder width.

I rode around the older downtown neighbourhoods the next day, and
except for the storm sewers with their non-existent grates, had a more
pleasant experience. Wider roads, better visibility, (on a grid, not
leafy winding roads with shrubs growning up to the pavement edge)

Those have been available in another part of the continent where I
spent a decade cycling, Alberta, for over fifteen years. They are
extremely useful when deciding where to ride.

I was not impressed.

The second day, I went off-roading in Oak Mountain State Park. That
was a more pleasant experience, but somewhat limited. Quite a climb to
the top of the mountain. Good view once you got there.

For those reading this group who are from the south, and specifically,
if possible, from Alabama, any comments on cycling in your state? Does
my impression hold for most of the state, or was I unfortunate enough
to be riding in solme of the most shortsighted municipalities on the
face of the planet? I'd like to know, as there is a good chance I may
end up working down there.

I am comparing this, FWIW, to riding in New York State, Southern
Ontario, specifically Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Southern
Alberta (Birmingham makes Lethbridge look really good, and that's
saying something) New Brunswock and Nova Scotia.

Shirley Hicks
Toronto, Ontario

"A liberal is a conservative who's been through treatment."
- Garrison Keillor

Stealth
August 17th 04, 10:13 PM
We rode down in Mobile this summer. Had a great time. Chickasabogue Park
and University of South Alabama had some cool trails...

Here are some of the links I used to plan the trip:

http://members.aol.com/sandluna/bike.html
http://www.bump.org/

Shirley Hicks wrote:

> [...]
> the top of the mountain. Good view once you got there.
>
> For those reading this group who are from the south, and specifically,
> if possible, from Alabama, any comments on cycling in your state? Does
> my impression hold for most of the state, or was I unfortunate enough
> to be riding in solme of the most shortsighted municipalities on the
> face of the planet? I'd like to know, as there is a good chance I may
> end up working down there.
>
> I am comparing this, FWIW, to riding in New York State, Southern
> Ontario, specifically Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Southern
> Alberta (Birmingham makes Lethbridge look really good, and that's
> saying something) New Brunswock and Nova Scotia.
>
> Shirley Hicks
> Toronto, Ontario
>

> "A liberal is a conservative who's been through treatment."

Patrick Lamb
August 18th 04, 02:57 AM
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:26:19 -0400, Shirley Hicks
> wrote:
>I had gone out for a spin around the neighbourhoods of Vestavia Hills
>and Cahaba Heights. The roads were narrow, the shoulders non-existent,
>the storm sewers large and open enough to swallow small children, cats
>and dogs, let alone bicycle wheels, and with sloped pans than
>necessitated my moving out into the lane of traffic to ride around
>them. Traffic moved swiftly along the narrow roads, and I was more of
>an obstacle to overly large vehicles than an alternate means of
>transport. I felt more endangered than a bouncing hubcap on the 401.
>(that's a Canadian reference - all you who have driven it will
>understand what I mean!)

Sorry I can't give you any good recommendations on rides, routes, or
suburbs in the Birmingham area. Where would you be working? What
constraints do you have to selecting a place to live?

I've only driven those two overgrown suburbs, but I can understand and
sympathize. Given the hilly terrain, increasingly heavy traffic, and
never-quite-widened-enough streets, I don't plan to cycle there any
time soon. (But then I don't live in Birmingham.) I'm not sure how
atypical they are for many American suburbs -- I've seen a lot of
similar roads in other states, BTW.

I'm from the north part of the state. You probably don't want to try
rush hour, but there are some nice ways out of Huntsville on at least
two sides, and reasonably good roads for cycling outside of town. Of
course, continued urban sprawl will threaten some of these as more
people move outside of town. I've found the back streets of the
downtown area better during heavy traffic times; thank goodness most
cagers stick with the big roads.

I'll re-emphasize that Vestavia Hills and Cahaba Heights are on the
sides of ridges. The civil engineers responsible for widening the
original pig paths surely had their work cut out for them, trying to
build 4 or 5 lanes, maintaining reasonable grades and turn radiuses,
without falling off the side of the hill or into someone's living
room. Urban planning is a wonderful thing. Large parts of Alabama
don't believe in it.

Which reminds me, I wish I had asked Ken Kifer how he rode up and down
Sand Mountain from Scottsboro. I'm intimidated by both of those
roads!

So yes, it's quite possible to enjoy cycling in this state. You may
have to figure out a good way to get outside the urban sprawl.

Oh, did anybody mention this was way cool weather this last weekend?

Pat

Email address works as is.

Shirley Hicks
August 18th 04, 03:33 AM
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:57:15 -0500, Patrick Lamb
> wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:26:19 -0400, Shirley Hicks
> wrote:
>>I had gone out for a spin around the neighbourhoods of Vestavia Hills
>>and Cahaba Heights. The roads were narrow, the shoulders non-existent,
>>the storm sewers large and open enough to swallow small children, cats
>>and dogs, let alone bicycle wheels, and with sloped pans than
>>necessitated my moving out into the lane of traffic to ride around
>>them. Traffic moved swiftly along the narrow roads, and I was more of
>>an obstacle to overly large vehicles than an alternate means of
>>transport. I felt more endangered than a bouncing hubcap on the 401.
>>(that's a Canadian reference - all you who have driven it will
>>understand what I mean!)
>
>Sorry I can't give you any good recommendations on rides, routes, or
>suburbs in the Birmingham area. Where would you be working?

Still to be determined. May be in the front office of one of the edge
of town industrial plants, may be with one of the tiny local graphic
design studios. I suspect the first.

>What
>constraints do you have to selecting a place to live?

Aside from budget, not much (am still in the age range where the
possibility of having to manage on one income for a while is still a
possibility :). The realtor is going to be getting a list of
requirements broken down into musthaves, wouldliketohaves, and
absolute no-nos. Anyone who has one who thinks bikes and pedestrian
friendly neighbourhoods, pass their name along!

>I've only driven those two overgrown suburbs, but I can understand and
>sympathize. Given the hilly terrain, increasingly heavy traffic, and
>never-quite-widened-enough streets, I don't plan to cycle there any
>time soon. (But then I don't live in Birmingham.) I'm not sure how
>atypical they are for many American suburbs -- I've seen a lot of
>similar roads in other states, BTW.

>I'm from the north part of the state. You probably don't want to try
>rush hour, but there are some nice ways out of Huntsville on at least
>two sides, and reasonably good roads for cycling outside of town. Of
>course, continued urban sprawl will threaten some of these as more
>people move outside of town. I've found the back streets of the
>downtown area better during heavy traffic times; thank goodness most
>cagers stick with the big roads.
>
>I'll re-emphasize that Vestavia Hills and Cahaba Heights are on the
>sides of ridges. The civil engineers responsible for widening the
>original pig paths surely had their work cut out for them, trying to
>build 4 or 5 lanes, maintaining reasonable grades and turn radiuses,
>without falling off the side of the hill or into someone's living
>room. Urban planning is a wonderful thing. Large parts of Alabama
>don't believe in it.

So I've noticed. Had to look hard to find the public spaces, too. :)

>Which reminds me, I wish I had asked Ken Kifer how he rode up and down
>Sand Mountain from Scottsboro. I'm intimidated by both of those
>roads!
>
>So yes, it's quite possible to enjoy cycling in this state. You may
>have to figure out a good way to get outside the urban sprawl.

>Oh, did anybody mention this was way cool weather this last weekend?

Just a few. When I was a northern prairie dweller, that _was_ summer.
:) Needless to say, I liked it, and insisted on running around in as
little clothing as possible.

Shirley Hicks
Toronto, Ontario

"A liberal is a conservative who's been through treatment."
- Garrison Keillor

Pat Lamb
August 18th 04, 06:47 PM
Shirley Hicks wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:57:15 -0500, Patrick Lamb
> > wrote:
>>
>>Oh, did anybody mention this was way cool weather this last weekend?
>

> Just a few. When I was a northern prairie dweller, that _was_ summer.
> :) Needless to say, I liked it, and insisted on running around in as
> little clothing as possible.

OK, just in case you didn't get the message. That was October weather.
Late October. Add twenty degrees to the highs AND the lows for
typical August.

Pat

Stormy
August 20th 04, 06:17 AM
The best rides in the area are going to be in Northern Shelby County,
however area is growing rapidly and traffic increasing daily. Normal August
weather is the 3 H's (hot-hazy-humid) high in low 90's, low in mid 70's,
high humidity, 20-30% chance of thunderstorms usually late afternoon or
early evening. Cycling in these parts is a real challange. There is a very
active bike club with lots of scheduled rides. Oh, by the way you have to
Mid-November to make a choice (Crimson & White or Blue & Orange). Rollllll
Tideeee Rollllllll

"Shirley Hicks" > wrote in message
> [...]
> the top of the mountain. Good view once you got there.
>
> For those reading this group who are from the south, and specifically,
> if possible, from Alabama, any comments on cycling in your state? Does
> my impression hold for most of the state, or was I unfortunate enough
> to be riding in solme of the most shortsighted municipalities on the
> face of the planet? I'd like to know, as there is a good chance I may
> end up working down there.
>
> I am comparing this, FWIW, to riding in New York State, Southern
> Ontario, specifically Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Southern
> Alberta (Birmingham makes Lethbridge look really good, and that's
> saying something) New Brunswock and Nova Scotia.
>
> Shirley Hicks
> Toronto, Ontario
>

> "A liberal is a conservative who's been through treatment."

Shirley Hicks
August 21st 04, 01:44 AM
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 00:17:06 -0500, "Stormy"
> wrote:

>The best rides in the area are going to be in Northern Shelby County,
>however area is growing rapidly and traffic increasing daily. Normal August
>weather is the 3 H's (hot-hazy-humid) high in low 90's, low in mid 70's,
>high humidity, 20-30% chance of thunderstorms usually late afternoon or
>early evening. Cycling in these parts is a real challange. There is a very
>active bike club with lots of scheduled rides.

Yeah, I've checked them out. The were riding when I was down, but my
schedule o' activities did allow me to join them this time.

> Oh, by the way you have to
>Mid-November to make a choice (Crimson & White or Blue & Orange). Rollllll
>Tideeee Rollllllll

Thanks for the tip on where to ride. I'll check it out next time I'm
down, which will probably be October.

Humour moment: Hate to tell yah, but American football isn't a real
sport. Hockey is! :) Nothing beats recreational shinny on outdoor ice
with two boots to mark the goal and a hot chocolate chaser.

(I root for the Toronto Maple Leafs, or the Calgary Flames (which, a
long, long time ago and in another league, were the Atlanta Flames, in
that order)

Shirley Hicks
Toronto, Ontario
"A liberal is a conservative who's been through treatment."
- Garrison Keillor

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home