PDA

View Full Version : Ten days for Katy Trail - and then what?

Kevin Saff
August 17th 04, 09:03 PM
Hi, I'm going to ride the Katy Trail (MO, ~220 mi) from my home in St.
Charles down to the end and back, in the week before Labor Day. I plan to
camp at night, but I'll be relying on the towns for food. Although I'll
have a bit more than 10 days if I set out Friday night, I can't imagine the
trail taking more than 3 days one way. Can anyone recommend interesting
places to check out within a couple days ride (say 150-200 mi) of the trail?

--
+---- Kevin C. Saff ----+ F-15 | |Eagle
| Engineer in St. Louis | _____|_^_|_____
| Tracking/Fleet Support| * + [_(x)_] + *

Bike4funeat2bike
August 18th 04, 02:29 AM
Kevin,

I too am planning a trip on the Katy Trail only I am planning for the week
after Labor Day.
Do you have the book "The Complete Katy Trail Guidebook. ISBN 0964662507 $16.95
from Amazon. Other folks that I have spoken with have highly recommended this
book.

From the book it appears there is much to see along the way. If you are looking
for an alternate route on the way back you may want to investiate the maps from
Adventure Cycling
http://adventurecycling.org/
The Lewis and Clark Bicycle Trail Section 1 -- has a loop on the other side of
the river from Boonville to Jefferson City. It does branch off of the trail at
Boonville and heads Northwest, ends up in Council Bluffs Iowa. They also have a
book Bicycling the Lewis & Clark Trail. Which also has some information about
what is along the trail, but not as good as the Katy Trail Guide.

Good luck on your trip and have fun.

Bill

Kevin Saff
August 18th 04, 04:29 PM
"Bike4funeat2bike" > wrote in message
> Kevin,
>
> I too am planning a trip on the Katy Trail only I am planning for the week
> after Labor Day.
> Do you have the book "The Complete Katy Trail Guidebook. ISBN 0964662507
$16.95
> from Amazon. Other folks that I have spoken with have highly recommended
this
> book.

Yes, I have that one, and it is indeed good. (Well, I left it in a friend's
car - it isn't helping me much just now.)

> From the book it appears there is much to see along the way.

Indeed. Since I live in St. Charles, I am intimately familiar with miles
37-100. Have you been out to the trail? I've never been on a multiday tour
on it, but I think I need to take plenty of degreaser, a cog brush, and
possibly a microfiber towel to keep the limestone dust from destroying my
bike.

> If you are looking
> for an alternate route on the way back you may want to investiate the maps
from
> Adventure Cycling
> http://adventurecycling.org/
> The Lewis and Clark Bicycle Trail Section 1 -- has a loop on the other
side of
> the river from Boonville to Jefferson City. It does branch off of the
trail at
> Boonville and heads Northwest, ends up in Council Bluffs Iowa. They also
have a
> book Bicycling the Lewis & Clark Trail. Which also has some information
about
> what is along the trail, but not as good as the Katy Trail Guide.

Thanks for the tip! I ordered the maps they had of my area for this and
future trips.

I'm starting to get a bit nervous since I've never toured before, and I
haven't even decided whether or not to get a new bike for a trip that's only
a week away! I'm considering a Cannondale T800, mostly because I know a
shop that has one in my size. Otherwise I'm going to be stuck on my Schwinn
Sierra AL (a comfort/trail bike) - it's really not too bad except the riser
bars kill my hands on long trips, so drop bars would be a welcome change.

> Good luck on your trip and have fun.
>
> Bill

You, too -

--
+---- Kevin C. Saff ----+ F-15 | |Eagle
| Engineer in St. Louis | _____|_^_|_____
| Tracking/Fleet Support| * + [_(x)_] + *

Ray.Net
August 18th 04, 05:49 PM
> I too am planning a trip on the Katy Trail...

I will take this opportunity to shamelessly plug a website I built,
www.BikeKatyTrail.com. Check out www.BikeKatyTrail.com for a thorough
listing of businesses and services along the Katy Trail, lots of maps,
mileage info, an interactive trip planner, event listings, and more.

Enjoy your trip!

Ray Scott
Founder & Administrator, www.BikeKatyTrail.com

Kerry Nikolaisen
August 20th 04, 03:03 AM
"Kevin Saff" > wrote in message
> Hi, I'm going to ride the Katy Trail (MO, ~220 mi) from my home in St.
> Charles down to the end and back, in the week before Labor Day. I plan to
> camp at night, but I'll be relying on the towns for food. Although I'll
> have a bit more than 10 days if I set out Friday night, I can't imagine
the
> trail taking more than 3 days one way. Can anyone recommend interesting
> places to check out within a couple days ride (say 150-200 mi) of the
trail?

> --
> +---- Kevin C. Saff ----+ F-15 | |Eagle
> | Engineer in St. Louis | _____|_^_|_____
> | Tracking/Fleet Support| * + [_(x)_] + *

I just got back from a two day overnight trip on the KATY trail last
saturday and sunday. St. Charles to Tebbets the first day, and back the
next. Although I checked every possible web page for support, you really
have to be careful about what may be available for camping and eating
places. Ray.net's web page, I found, was the best, no question. There is
not a lot of variety for eating places, especially past Marthasville (40
miles west of St. Charles). Expect to dine in taverns or bars especially
trailside. You may have to put in extra miles off the trail to find better
places. Also, not alot of readily available spots to fill up water bottles.
Whatever you do, take extra water and food, just in case.

There are good spots to camp in Bluffton (Steamboat Junction, Rendelman). I
would stay away from the free hostel in Tebbets (there's a story behind it;
let me know if anyone's interested). SOB (Steedman's only bar) allows free
camping behind the bar, but do so at your own risk (bar is right off
highway). The Crossing at Mokane is no longer open (i.e., no camping or
restaurant). One gentlemen I met along the way camped right along the
trail, near one of the Lewis and Clark historical markers and didn't have a
problem.

Although I haven't personally gone on any side trips, I might suggest going
south to Hermann (Highway 19) or to Jefferson City (Higway 54), to see the
State Capitol. You could also visit Columbia.

If you have any specific questions, let me know. Good luck and enjoy!

Kerry Nikolaisen

Ray.Net
August 20th 04, 03:32 PM
>Can anyone recommend interesting
> places to check out within a couple days ride (say 150-200 mi) of the trail?
> south to Hermann (Highway 19) or to Jefferson City (Higway 54), to see the
> State Capitol. You could also visit Columbia.

Kerry, thanks for the compliment; I'm glad to hear that you found
www.BikeKatyTrail.com to be the most useful site. I will contact you
off-list to hear the story about the hostel in Tebbetts.

Kerry makes some great suggestions for side trips from the Katy Trail.
Hermann is a picture-postcard town with lots of B&B's and wineries,
which hosts a big Oktoberfest each year. The bridge to Hermann can be
travelled by bike, as long as you're comfortable riding next to
high-speed traffic without a lot of space. Many of the B&Bs in
Hermann will send a shuttle over to pick up their guests from the
McKittrick trailhead. More Hermann info at http://www.hermannmo.com

As the state capitol, Jeff City obviously has a lot to offer too. The
bridge to Jeff City has a sightly better bike lane (on the south side
of the bridge only), but you'll still need nerves of steel to face
down the high-speed traffic. Like Hermann, many of the Jeff City
Hotels will send a shuttle to the North Jefferson trailhead. More JC
info at http://www.jcchamber.org

Columbia is certainly the easiest to get to; the 9-mile-long MKT
Fitness trail will take you from the Katy Trail into the heart of
Columbia. It connects with the Katy Trail at mile 169.9, near
McBaine. More Columbia info at http://www.visitcolumbiamo.com

Here's a page on my website that discusses side-trails connecting to
the Katy Trail:
http://www.bikekatytrail.com/SideTrails.asp?src=rbr

Kevin, you're from St Charles so I won't suggest a St Louis side trip
for you, but for the sake of other readers here is a web page
explaining how to get to downtown St Louis from the Katy Trail, by
bike:
http://www.bikekatytrail.com/kt2downtown.asp?src=rbr

You said you were looking for things to do within 150 miles of the
Katy Trail - this certainly includes Kansas City, although I don't
know the best way to get there from the Katy Trail by bike
(suggestions are welcome!).

Happy trails,
Ray Scott
www.BikeKatyTrail.com

August 20th 04, 03:40 PM
>would stay away from the free hostel in Tebbets (there's a story behind it;
>let me know if anyone's interested).

Im interested in that story

Tell me

Skyhooks
August 20th 04, 04:48 PM
Kerry Nikolaisen wrote:

> I would stay away from the free hostel in Tebbets (there's a story behind it;
> let me know if anyone's interested).
>
> Kerry Nikolaisen

I'd like to read about this, too. TIA.

Skyhooks
hmardis "aht" uiuc "daught" edu

Kevin Saff
August 20th 04, 11:15 PM
"Kerry Nikolaisen" <f o u r n i k s @ c h a r t e r . n e t> wrote in
message ...
> "Kevin Saff" > wrote in message
> > Hi, I'm going to ride the Katy Trail (MO, ~220 mi) from my home in St.
> > Charles down to the end and back, in the week before Labor Day. I plan
> > camp at night, but I'll be relying on the towns for food. Although I'll
> > have a bit more than 10 days if I set out Friday night, I can't imagine
> the
> > trail taking more than 3 days one way. Can anyone recommend interesting
> > places to check out within a couple days ride (say 150-200 mi) of the
> trail?
> >
> > <SNIP SIG>
> >
> I just got back from a two day overnight trip on the KATY trail last
> saturday and sunday. St. Charles to Tebbets the first day, and back the
> next.

Nice ride!

> Although I checked every possible web page for support, you really
> have to be careful about what may be available for camping and eating
> places. Ray.net's web page, I found, was the best, no question. There is
> not a lot of variety for eating places, especially past Marthasville (40
> miles west of St. Charles). Expect to dine in taverns or bars especially
> trailside. You may have to put in extra miles off the trail to find
better
> places. Also, not alot of readily available spots to fill up water
bottles.
> Whatever you do, take extra water and food, just in case.

This sounds about right. I usually take a large supply of food and water,
but my last long ride I managed to run out of drink somewhere between
Treloar and McKittrick, which left me with a pretty bad hydration deficit
for the rest of the ride. It's too bad if McK to Tebbets is as desolate.

> There are good spots to camp in Bluffton (Steamboat Junction, Rendelman).
> would stay away from the free hostel in Tebbets (there's a story behind
it;
> let me know if anyone's interested). SOB (Steedman's only bar) allows
free
> camping behind the bar, but do so at your own risk (bar is right off
> highway). The Crossing at Mokane is no longer open (i.e., no camping or
> restaurant). One gentlemen I met along the way camped right along the
> trail, near one of the Lewis and Clark historical markers and didn't have
> problem.

Thanks for this advice! This is the kind of thing I was hoping to find out,
since I intend to free camp as much as possible.

> Although I haven't personally gone on any side trips, I might suggest
going
> south to Hermann (Highway 19) or to Jefferson City (Higway 54), to see the
> State Capitol. You could also visit Columbia.

The Columbia side trail is beautiful. I'd like to see Jeff City, but I'm a
little worried about my loaded bike.

> If you have any specific questions, let me know. Good luck and enjoy!
>
> Kerry Nikolaisen

Thanks! I'll have to email you for the Tebbets story.

--
+---- Kevin C. Saff ----+ F-15 | |Eagle
| Engineer in St. Louis | _____|_^_|_____
| Tracking/Fleet Support| * + [_(x)_] + *

Kerry
August 20th 04, 11:16 PM
> wrote in message
> >would stay away from the free hostel in Tebbets (there's a story behind
it;
> >let me know if anyone's interested).
>
> Im interested in that story
>
> Tell me

OK. I know that Ray was going to inquire off group about my experience, but
since others have requested, and I wouldn't want anyone to experience what I
went through, I will let loose.

My original plan was to get as far as Bluffton and possibly spend the night
at Rendelman or Steamboat Junction. Being the cheapskate I am, I considered
going to Steedman, and camping behind SOBs since it was free ( I called
prior to leaving and the bar owner told me that was acceptable). Once in
Steedman I noticed that the bar was right off the highway, and with that in
my mind, and the doubt my wife threw in on the phone earlier, I decided to
go to Mokane (Rays web page listed "The Crossing" as both a restaurant and
campground). Once in Mokane, I noticed that "The Crossing" was a bar/tavern
which was no longer in business. Instead of going back to Bluffton, I
decided to go only 6 or 9 miles further west of Mokane to Tebbets, where I
heard there was a free hostel. Two townspeople along the way had good
things to say about it.

Got to Tebbets at around 6:45 pm and noticed there were two young adults
(18-20 years old) sitting on the porch with a baby. I asked them if they
were in charge and who I needed to speak to about checking in. They
immediately offered me a beer (perhaps this should have been the first sign)
and seemed very friendly. The young woman gave me a rundown on the hostel,
saying she wasn't affiliated with it, but that she, her boyfriend and child
were staying while they waited for a part for their van, which had broken
down. She basically said that, as she understood it, the hostel was an old
residence which had been converted to a bunkhouse. It appeared to cater
entirely to touring cyclists. There must have been at least 10 to 15 bunk
beds on the bottom floor, and I didn't even check the upstairs portion.
According to the woman, there was some affiliation? with YMCA. There were
two showers downstairs with hot/cold water (hot water broken on the one
shower) and restroom facilities. There was also a refrigerator and stove,
both of which I didn't use.

Since I had put in a few miles that day (95.66 to be exact fully loaded), I
decided to get a quick shower and get some dinner at the adjacent tavern. I
was also in dire need of a phone to let my wife know I was OK (cell phone
reception [T-Mobile] is basically nonexistant west of Marthasville). I
noticed the couple that I met on the porch were in the tavern, and
communicating with what appeared to be friends. At this point the alarm
started to go off, but it was not that loud!

I was in bed by about 10:00 pm but was noticing multiple people going
between the hostel and the tavern. It appeared that there were at least 6
people associated with this original couple who were staying at the hostel.
Although I try not to pre-judge people, the amount of tatoos on both women
and men and the frequent use of the F-word indicated to me that I the class
of people I was dealing with would not be sympathetic to a tired touring
cyclist.

Although the young woman who originally greeted me told me that she would
try and keep everyone quiet, and even told her friends to sleep upstairs, it
didn't matter. People continued to go between the hostel and the bar until
2:00 am. Someone came in drunk at about midnight, puked their guts out,
talked in their sleep, and then snored loudly. The two original folks I met
on the porch had a shouting match near my bed regarding whatever ( I think
they were fighting about who was going to change the baby's diaper) with
blows being exchanged and the husband calling the wife a slut. This was at
4:00 am.

All told, I believe that I got 2 hours of sleep. Why didn't I say anything?
For one, I was afraid (6 vs 1) that I would wake up in the morning to see my
tires slit or spokes kicked in. Keep in mind that the planets may have all
lined up at that time, and nothing of the sort will ever happen again at the
Tebbets hostel. If there had just been a supervisor or someone to contact
(although there was not a phone in the hostel), it may have worked out.

Anyway, I woke up at 6:00 that morning, and rode 94+ miles on the return
trip to St. Charles. I was sound asleep on my sofa in my house by 7:00 pm!

Just beware and good luck!

Kerry

Kevin Saff
August 20th 04, 11:29 PM
"Ray.Net" > wrote in message
om...
> >Can anyone recommend interesting
> > places to check out within a couple days ride (say 150-200 mi) of the
trail?
> > south to Hermann (Highway 19) or to Jefferson City (Higway 54), to see
the
> > State Capitol. You could also visit Columbia.
>
> Kerry, thanks for the compliment; I'm glad to hear that you found
> www.BikeKatyTrail.com to be the most useful site. I will contact you
> off-list to hear the story about the hostel in Tebbetts.

I like your list of services. It would be really great if you could
generate maps for queries, in addition to the current lists!

> <snip Hermann> The bridge to Hermann can be
> travelled by bike, as long as you're comfortable riding next to
> high-speed traffic without a lot of space. <snip> The
> bridge to Jeff City has a sightly better bike lane (on the south side
> of the bridge only), but you'll still need nerves of steel to face
> down the high-speed traffic. <snip>

I'm interested in hearing more about these bridges. I basically started
cycling this year, and the only bridges I am familiar with are 364 and 370.
364 is the path to Creve Coeur, and has a completely separate section for
the bike/hike route. 370 involves riding a junk-filled shoulder around
grates with openings parallel to your front wheel. I've heard some horror
stories about the Hermann bridge.

> Columbia is certainly the easiest to get to; the 9-mile-long MKT
> Fitness trail will take you from the Katy Trail into the heart of
> Columbia. It connects with the Katy Trail at mile 169.9, near
> McBaine. More Columbia info at http://www.visitcolumbiamo.com

This trail is beautiful, and Mizzou has a nice campus.

> Kevin, you're from St Charles so I won't suggest a St Louis side trip
> for you, but for the sake of other readers here is a web page
> explaining how to get to downtown St Louis from the Katy Trail, by
> bike:
> http://www.bikekatytrail.com/kt2downtown.asp?src=rbr

Hey! You don't even mention 370 and the MRT! :) Actually, you have some
potentially useful info for me, since I'd like to try a less harrowing (if
longer) route to work sometime.

> You said you were looking for things to do within 150 miles of the
> Katy Trail - this certainly includes Kansas City, although I don't
> know the best way to get there from the Katy Trail by bike
> (suggestions are welcome!).
>
> Happy trails,
> Ray Scott
> www.BikeKatyTrail.com

Thanks!

--
+---- Kevin C. Saff ----+ F-15 | |Eagle
| Engineer in St. Louis | _____|_^_|_____
| Tracking/Fleet Support| * + [_(x)_] + *

Camel Lung
August 21st 04, 01:33 AM
All kinds of "plan B" activity...... if it rains, the trail is worthless,
take maps.

Ray.Net
August 21st 04, 02:52 PM
"Kevin Saff" > wrote
>I basically started cycling this year

You just started this year and you're already up for knocking out the
Katy Trail in three days - that's impressive!

>The bridge to Hermann
> bridge to Jeff City
> I'm interested in hearing more about these bridges.

I have not cycled on either bridge, but have driven a car across both
and was horrified at the thought of doing them by bike. But I've
heard many cyclists say these bridges are no big deal. All depends
on how you feel about being real close to fast-moving cars.

> I'd like to try a less harrowing (if longer) route to work sometime.

From your sig it looks like you work at Boeing; please let me know if
you come up with a good route, as I'd like to offer a good cycling
route on the BikeKatyTrail website, for getting from the Katy Trail to
the St Louis Airport.

Ray Scott
www.BikeKatyTrail.com

Mike Schwab
August 21st 04, 08:15 PM
We have a many riders in that area. The question has been asked a few
times. Searching the archive at
http://lists.topica.com/lists/STLBikeFed/read
http://lists.topica.com/lists/STLCM/read
seems to be down, join the lists and ask there. Also
http://www.stlbikefed.org/
may have directions for you.

"Ray.Net" wrote:

> "Kevin Saff" > wrote
> >I basically started cycling this year
>
> You just started this year and you're already up for knocking out the
> Katy Trail in three days - that's impressive!
>
> >The bridge to Hermann
> > bridge to Jeff City
> > I'm interested in hearing more about these bridges.
>
> I have not cycled on either bridge, but have driven a car across both
> and was horrified at the thought of doing them by bike. But I've
> heard many cyclists say these bridges are no big deal. All depends
> on how you feel about being real close to fast-moving cars.
>
> > I'd like to try a less harrowing (if longer) route to work sometime.
>
> From your sig it looks like you work at Boeing; please let me know if
> you come up with a good route, as I'd like to offer a good cycling
> route on the BikeKatyTrail website, for getting from the Katy Trail to
> the St Louis Airport.
>
> Ray Scott
> www.BikeKatyTrail.com

TBGibb
August 22nd 04, 12:04 AM
In article >, "Camel Lung"
> writes:

>All kinds of "plan B" activity...... if it rains, the trail is worthless,
>take maps.

What happens to that trail in the rain? I've been on it in dry weather but
have no idea what crushed limestone does when wet.

Tom Gibb >

TBGibb
August 22nd 04, 12:04 AM
In article >, "Kerry Nikolaisen" <f o u r n
i k s @ c h a r t e r . n e t> writes:

> Expect to dine in taverns or bars especially
>trailside. You may have to put in extra miles off the trail to find better
>places. Also, not alot of readily available spots to fill up water bottles.
>Whatever you do, take extra water and food, just in case.

Will you comment on grocery stores along the route? In my two days of riding
on the trail I saw very few.

Tom Gibb >

Chuck Anderson
August 22nd 04, 03:27 AM
TBGibb wrote:

>In article >, "Camel Lung"
> writes:
>

>>All kinds of "plan B" activity...... if it rains, the trail is worthless,
>>take maps.
>>

>What happens to that trail in the rain? I've been on it in dry weather but
>have no idea what crushed limestone does when wet.
>
>Tom Gibb >

I've spent days in the rain on crushed limestone in Wisconsin and along
the Danube. There are occasional soft spots and puddles, but that's not
a problem. For the most part, a crowned limestone path drains pretty
well. You can always go around or just ride through the depressions. But
imagine taking sakrete, dusting your chain with it, and then misting it
with water. Repeat every half hour. You will definitely need to clean
your chain and rear sprocket. It begins to sound like you are grinding
up rocks back in there. A big can of cheap spray-on lubricant makes
cleanup easy. Spray it on in abundance while spinning the freewheel.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

TBGibb
August 22nd 04, 04:18 AM
In article <FwTVc.18609$9d6.3316@attbi_s54>, Chuck Anderson
> writes:

> But
>imagine taking sakrete, dusting your chain with it, and then misting it
>with water. Repeat every half hour. You will definitely need to clean
>your chain and rear sprocket. It begins to sound like you are grinding
>up rocks back in there.

That sounds charming. Thanks for the heads up.

Tom Gibb >

Karen M.
August 22nd 04, 06:12 AM
Kerrywrote:
>(cell phone
> reception [T-Mobile] is basically nonexistant west of Marthasville).

It's not going to get any better anytime soon. As I understand it,,
too many customers availed themselves of a free $300 phone and huge
amounts of minutes for teensy prices. T-M has moved to not build up
their network in the middle of the country, preferring to concentrate
on California and the east coast.

--Karen M.
who got pleaded and begged to agree to go to Calif so my former boss
could make money off T-M...(didn't go)

Ray.Net
August 22nd 04, 07:38 AM
(TBGibb) wrote
> Will you comment on grocery stores along the route? In my two days of riding
> on the trail I saw very few.

The following link will give you a list of all grocery and convenience
stores that I'm aware of, on or near the Katy Trail:

http://www.BikeKatyTrail.com/planaride.asp?chkGroceries=on

About 30 of them, mostly small c-stores like Caseys. If anyone knows
of any stores that I missed, I'd truly appreciate if you could let me
know.

If you do follow the above link, note that you can customize the list
by going to the bottom of the list and selecting other types of
businesses, and/or changing the start/end towns.

Ray Scott
www.BikeKatyTrail.com

TBGibb
August 22nd 04, 06:38 PM
In article >,
(Karen M.) writes:

> It's not going to get any better anytime soon. As I understand it,,
>too many customers availed themselves of a free $300 phone and huge
>amounts of minutes for teensy prices. T-M has moved to not build up
>their network in the middle of the country, preferring to concentrate
>on California and the east coast.

My AT&T phone didn't have any trouble in that general area. Don't these things
access each other's networks for an extra fee? I'm puzzled. I did not
uniformly use my AT&T over the whole trail though.

Tom Gibb >

TBGibb
August 23rd 04, 11:54 PM
In article >,
(Ray.Net) writes:

>The following link will give you a list of all grocery and convenience
>stores that I'm aware of, on or near the Katy Trail:
>
>http://www.BikeKatyTrail.com/planaride.asp?chkGroceries=on

Thanks for the URL. I did notice, after I had extended the search to include
camping spots that the Katy Round house was not listed as having camping.
Since we camped there last October I was suspicious. "Clicking" on the Katy
Round house link indicated that they still have camping there. It's going to
take a bit of research to be sure.

Tom Gibb >

John
August 24th 04, 10:44 PM
"Kevin Saff" > wrote in message >...
> Hi, I'm going to ride the Katy Trail (MO, ~220 mi) from my home in St.
> Charles down to the end and back, in the week before Labor Day. I plan to
> camp at night, but I'll be relying on the towns for food. Although I'll
> have a bit more than 10 days if I set out Friday night, I can't imagine the
> trail taking more than 3 days one way. Can anyone recommend interesting
> places to check out within a couple days ride (say 150-200 mi) of the trail?

I rode the trail in early June. My advice:

Forget about the guidebook. The Missouri DNR website, the town
message boards, and the website mentioned in this thread provide all
you need. The guidebook devotes too much space to produce that was
shipped in the 1800s and meaningless stories. The maps are small and
useless. When you get on the trail you'll find the book is just dead
weight.

Take 5 days to complete the trail. It's possible to ride the entire
thing in 3 days, but why would you want to? People along the trail
don't care and people here would be even less impressed. You'd have
time to stop whenever you liked and would be rested for the return
trip. Spend a day or a half in either Jeff City or Columbia. Make
sure you arrive in Rocheport when the tourist spots are actually open.
Cross the river into Hermann or Washington and tour the wineries if
that's your thing. Take along a Lewis & Clark book and stop to read
the numerous historical markers along the way.

For the return trip skip as much of the trail as possible. You're
likely to be tired of it anyway. Plan your own route using maps from
the Missouri Bike Federation
(http://www.mobikefed.org/mobikemap2004/index.html). Take a northern
route to see the early stages of the harvest or a southern route to
pass through the Ozarks. Being on a road instead of the trail should
satisfy your desire for whatever speed or distance goals you have.
Stay in state parks where possible.

Have fun and good luck.

Kevin Saff
August 25th 04, 04:58 PM
"John" > wrote in message
m...
> "Kevin Saff" > wrote in message
> > [snip] Can anyone recommend interesting
> > places to check out within a couple days ride (say 150-200 mi) of the
trail?

> I rode the trail in early June. My advice:
>
> [snip guidebook rant]
>
> Take 5 days to complete the trail. It's possible to ride the entire
> thing in 3 days, but why would you want to? People along the trail
> don't care and people here would be even less impressed. You'd have
> time to stop whenever you liked and would be rested for the return
> trip. Spend a day or a half in either Jeff City or Columbia. Make
> sure you arrive in Rocheport when the tourist spots are actually open.
> Cross the river into Hermann or Washington and tour the wineries if
> that's your thing. Take along a Lewis & Clark book and stop to read
> the numerous historical markers along the way.

Thanks for your advice, but your way of offering it really bugged me. I
have already seen much of the the trail on single day trips, and I doubt
this time will be the last. So, I am not especially worried about seeing
every stop on the way. I think going solo also affects the dynamics of some
tourist nooks. I am not trying to "impress" anyone by riding 3 days, I just
figure that's what I'll end up doing; I tend to enjoy long days in the
saddle for its own sake. It's possible that I'll change my mind when I'm
out there, but that's part of the fun. I was just asking for advice based
on my current assumptions.

> For the return trip skip as much of the trail as possible. You're
> likely to be tired of it anyway. Plan your own route using maps from
> the Missouri Bike Federation
> (http://www.mobikefed.org/mobikemap2004/index.html). Take a northern
> route to see the early stages of the harvest or a southern route to
> pass through the Ozarks. Being on a road instead of the trail should
> satisfy your desire for whatever speed or distance goals you have.
> Stay in state parks where possible.
>
> Have fun and good luck.

Thank you; I'll check out these maps. Have a nice day.

--
+---- Kevin C. Saff ----+ F-15 | |Eagle
| Engineer in St. Louis | _____|_^_|_____
| Tracking/Fleet Support| * + [_(x)_] + *

James Scott
August 26th 04, 08:09 PM
Kevin-

I'm afraid my information isn't up-to-the-minute but reading about your
trip has made me somewhat nostalgic for central MO so I'll offer what I
can. I lived in Columbia 1983-1990 and St. Louis 1997-2000.

- Stone Hill Winery in Hermann and Les Bourgeois in Rocheport are both
worth a stop, IMHO. The view from the bluffs in Rocheport is very nice
and worth the climb.

- Aside from the government buildings, Jeff City doesn't have that much
to offer a tourist. Of course, I haven't spent a whole lot of time there
since 1990 so perhaps things have changed. If you have to make a choice,
I'd pick Columbia over Jeff any day of the week. As a teenager I rode my
bike over the Route 63 bridge from Columbia to Jeff and don't remember
it as particularly harrowing, but things have probably changed since the
mid 80s.

- In Columbia, skip Katy Station (if it's still open, I don't recall
seeing it when I was back through last summer). Shakespeare's Pizza on
9th street would be my first choice for a lunch/dinner stop - best pizza
on the planet and (at least used to be) staffed mostly by bike racers.
They've opened another restaurant on North Broadway that might be a bit
closer to the Katy Trail, but the original location on 9th street
downtown is not too far from the MKT spur.

Wishing you a safe trip, good weather and tailwinds,

JLS
--
James Scott
www.jls.cx

Kevin Saff
August 27th 04, 11:13 PM
"James Scott" > wrote in message
> Kevin-
>
> I'm afraid my information isn't up-to-the-minute but reading about your
> trip has made me somewhat nostalgic for central MO so I'll offer what I
> can. I lived in Columbia 1983-1990 and St. Louis 1997-2000.

Cool.

> [snip]
>
> - In Columbia, skip Katy Station (if it's still open, I don't recall
> seeing it when I was back through last summer). Shakespeare's Pizza on
> 9th street would be my first choice for a lunch/dinner stop - best pizza
> on the planet and (at least used to be) staffed mostly by bike racers.
> They've opened another restaurant on North Broadway that might be a bit
> closer to the Katy Trail, but the original location on 9th street
> downtown is not too far from the MKT spur.
>
> Wishing you a safe trip, good weather and tailwinds,

Thanks, I haven't started yet, and am already dreaming of Shakespeare's
Pizza...

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home