PDA

View Full Version : Attention Tom Gibb, Colorado Springs

Denver C. Fox
August 23rd 04, 09:02 PM
On your suggestion, I bought some SPD cycling clipless sandals, and I
absolutely love them. Haven't worn my regular biking shoes since.

You had mentioned (I think) that you wore these in the winter using a wool sock
and some other protection.

Would you be so kind as to further describe what else you used besides a wool
sock?

Thanks.

http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns
(Colorado rental condo)

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
(Family Web Page)

TBGibb
August 24th 04, 03:19 AM
In article >,
(Denver C. Fox) writes:

>On your suggestion, I bought some SPD cycling clipless sandals, and I
>absolutely love them. Haven't worn my regular biking shoes since.
>
>You had mentioned (I think) that you wore these in the winter using a wool
>sock
>and some other protection.
>
>Would you be so kind as to further describe what else you used besides a wool
>sock?

Gortex (Sealskinz work too) socks over wool. Quite warm.

Tom Gibb >

Biff Stephens
August 24th 04, 04:08 PM
I would like to second the Sandals are great...you should try them....I have
had my pair for over 4000 miles.....I actually got rid of my old bike
shoes.....I plan on getting a winter pair this winter but might not if Tom's
recommendation works well....

Biff Stephens

"TBGibb" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> (Denver C. Fox) writes:
>
> >On your suggestion, I bought some SPD cycling clipless sandals, and I
> >absolutely love them. Haven't worn my regular biking shoes since.
> >
> >You had mentioned (I think) that you wore these in the winter using a
wool
> >sock
> >and some other protection.
> >
> >Would you be so kind as to further describe what else you used besides a
wool
> >sock?
>
> Gortex (Sealskinz work too) socks over wool. Quite warm.
>
> Tom Gibb >

TBGibb
August 25th 04, 05:17 AM
In article <qRIWc.60133$wo.18387@okepread06>, "Biff Stephens"
> writes:

>....I plan on getting a winter pair this winter but might not if Tom's
>recommendation works well....

I'd very much like to hear how it turns out for you.

Since you adjust the straps on the sandals based on the bulk of the insulating
layers of sock you don't wind up constricting your circulation. When you put
extra socks on under regularly sized shoes you can (will) constrict your
circulation and have cold feet. I know all about that, I've done it many
times. The only question mark on the sandals is how wind permable socks are,
or seem to be. That's where the Gortex socks come in. I can also freely
wiggle my toes while using the sandals and that seems to help keep my feet
warm.

So . . .if you decide to purchase winter cycling shoes, size them for the socks
you want to wear under them and you'll have warm feet.

I read (here in the NG) that overbooties also do a good job of keeping your
feet warm.

But all in all, those simple sandals have proven to be the most versatile and
comfortable cycling shoes I've ever worn.

Tom Gibb >

Chuck Anderson
August 25th 04, 07:05 PM
TBGibb wrote:

>In article <qRIWc.60133$wo.18387@okepread06>, "Biff Stephens"
> writes:
>

>>....I plan on getting a winter pair this winter but might not if Tom's
>>recommendation works well....
>>

>I'd very much like to hear how it turns out for you.
>
>Since you adjust the straps on the sandals based on the bulk of the insulating
>layers of sock you don't wind up constricting your circulation. When you put
>extra socks on under regularly sized shoes you can (will) constrict your
>circulation and have cold feet. I know all about that, I've done it many
>times.

That's what I don't like about my Shimano MTB shoes. Even if it's only
45º - 50º out my feet get cold due to constriction.

>The only question mark on the sandals is how wind permable socks are,
>or seem to be. That's where the Gortex socks come in. I can also freely
>wiggle my toes while using the sandals and that seems to help keep my feet
>warm.

I wear Tevas all summer for cycling. It sounds like I should try wearing
them as it gets colder this year. I've not even tried clipless, .... and
I don't really want to. I'm a retro kind of guy (hence the Tevas). With
that in mind, let me offer a cheaper alternative to Goretex socks. Use
heavy duty baggies (sandwich size?). You'll need to replace them when
they get holes in them, but it's a cheaper way to block the wind. I've
used them inside my shoes for years.

>So . . .if you decide to purchase winter cycling shoes, size them for the socks
>you want to wear under them and you'll have warm feet.
>
>I read (here in the NG) that overbooties also do a good job of keeping your
>feet warm.

I've heard fly fishing booties work well.

>But all in all, those simple sandals have proven to be the most versatile and
>comfortable cycling shoes I've ever worn.

That's how I feel about my Tevas in the summer. And rain? So what? I
think I'll try layering socks this winter (with an outer baggie).

--
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home