Shenandoah Valley Century

Date: Sunday, September 12, 2004

Time: 100 mile ride: registration
at 7am; start 8am
25 & 50 mile ride: registration
at 9am; start 10am

Place: Hillandale Park Shelter 11
Hillandale Avenue
Harrisonburg, VA

Cost: Individual $9 on or before
September 7; $11 after.
Family $22 (3 or more family members)

Massage will be available after the rides for a nominal fee.

Participants are encouraged to pre-register.

More information can be obtained by calling:

Art Fovargue (540) 433-9247
Marcia Lamphier (540) 432-3312

Or by e-mailing: delete
Art
Neups

We invite you to join us and many others on the SHENANDOAH VALLEY
CENTURY for some of the finest cycling to be found. Scenic vistas,
small towns, beautiful farms, quiet roads, and more. All routes are
paved and have low traffic volume. Participants ride at their own
pace; the event is not a race. Maps are provided and the route will
be patrolled by auto sag to provide assistance as needed. A food and
drink stop is provided every 25 miles and at the midpoint of the 25
mile ride. At the end of the ride, bicyclists are treated to a
variety of baked goods donated by the Shenandoah Valley Bicycle Club
members.

To avoid delays in waiting for the sag, be prepared to fix minor
repairs yourself, e.g. a flat tire.

For more information and a registration form, please see
http://neups.tripod.com/svc.html
or visit Active.com

Badger_South
September 1st 04, 09:40 PM
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 20:26:24 GMT, Shenandoah Valley Century
> wrote:

>We invite you to join us and many others on the SHENANDOAH VALLEY
>CENTURY for some of the finest cycling to be found. Scenic vistas,
>small towns, beautiful farms, quiet roads, and more. All routes are
>paved and have low traffic volume. Participants ride at their own
>pace; the event is not a race. Maps are provided and the route will
>be patrolled by auto sag to provide assistance as needed. A food and
>drink stop is provided every 25 miles and at the midpoint of the 25
>mile ride. At the end of the ride, bicyclists are treated to a
>variety of baked goods donated by the Shenandoah Valley Bicycle Club
>members.
>
>To avoid delays in waiting for the sag, be prepared to fix minor
>repairs yourself, e.g. a flat tire.
>
>For more information and a registration form, please see
>http://neups.tripod.com/svc.html
>or visit Active.com

That website was not found on tripod.com. Got a course map online?

-B

Shenandoah Valley Century
September 2nd 04, 02:11 AM
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 16:40:16 -0400, Badger_South >
wrote:

>>For more information and a registration form, please see
>>http://neups.tripod.com/svc.html
>>or visit Active.com
>
>That website was not found on tripod.com. Got a course map online?
>
>-B

Sorry. The correct website is http://neups.tripod.com/svc.pdf

Badger_South
September 2nd 04, 02:25 AM
On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 01:11:47 GMT, Shenandoah Valley Century
> wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 16:40:16 -0400, Badger_South >
>wrote:
>
>>>For more information and a registration form, please see
>>>http://neups.tripod.com/svc.html
>>>or visit Active.com
>>
>>That website was not found on tripod.com. Got a course map online?
>>
>>-B
>>
>Sorry. The correct website is http://neups.tripod.com/svc.pdf

Still nothing. You're misspelling something in the URL, I bet.

I did download a .pdf with no course map with the title "svc.pdf" from
http://members.tripod.com/~Neups/svc.pdf

Again, it would be nice to have a course map, and a topo map similar to
this:

http://members.tripod.com/~Neups/rideprofiles/assault_on_mount_mitchell.jpg

The problem is I'm just now starting to ride hills and I'm concerned that
the course might be too difficult for me. If not, being in Charlottesville,
I'd be interested in the event.

When you ride, do you generally go in peloton formation, or two-abreast?
How would you rate the safety of riding in a group with regard to traffic
and speeding cars on those country roads?

Thx,

-B

Shenandoah Valley Century
September 3rd 04, 02:29 AM
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 21:25:43 -0400, Badger_South >
wrote:

>Still nothing. You're misspelling something in the URL, I bet.
>
>I did download a .pdf with no course map with the title "svc.pdf" from
>http://members.tripod.com/~Neups/svc.pdf
>
>Again, it would be nice to have a course map, and a topo map similar to
>this:
>
>http://members.tripod.com/~Neups/rideprofiles/assault_on_mount_mitchell.jpg
>
>The problem is I'm just now starting to ride hills and I'm concerned that
>the course might be too difficult for me. If not, being in Charlottesville,
>I'd be interested in the event.
>
>When you ride, do you generally go in peloton formation, or two-abreast?
>How would you rate the safety of riding in a group with regard to traffic
>and speeding cars on those country roads?
>
>Thx,
>
>-B

When I corrected the URL, I was just correcting it to get to the
website. You got what we have, just information and a registration
form. We do not have the course map, nor a topo on our site. But
ours is not a killer century like Mountain Mama, Blue Ridge Extreme,
Mount Mitchell, or Bridge to Bridge. It's just 100 miles in our area
of the county. It's rolling hills all the way. I'd guess our area is
what Charlottesville has in terms of hills.

This century is at your own pace. If you want to ride as part of a
group, that is up to you. We stress that we need to obey all traffic
laws, which is generally single file. I'd rate a group's safety
higher than a solo rider's safety just because the pack gets more
attention. Our drivers are for the most part courteous. Ride
defensively and you should have no problems.

Badger_South
September 3rd 04, 04:37 PM
On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 01:29:57 GMT, Shenandoah Valley Century
> wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 21:25:43 -0400, Badger_South >
>wrote:
>
>>Still nothing. You're misspelling something in the URL, I bet.
>>
>>I did download a .pdf with no course map with the title "svc.pdf" from
>>http://members.tripod.com/~Neups/svc.pdf
>>
>>Again, it would be nice to have a course map, and a topo map similar to
>>this:
>>
>>http://members.tripod.com/~Neups/rideprofiles/assault_on_mount_mitchell.jpg
>>
>>The problem is I'm just now starting to ride hills and I'm concerned that
>>the course might be too difficult for me. If not, being in Charlottesville,
>>I'd be interested in the event.
>>
>>When you ride, do you generally go in peloton formation, or two-abreast?
>>How would you rate the safety of riding in a group with regard to traffic
>>and speeding cars on those country roads?
>>
>>Thx,
>>
>>-B
>
>When I corrected the URL, I was just correcting it to get to the
>website. You got what we have, just information and a registration
>form. We do not have the course map, nor a topo on our site. But
>ours is not a killer century like Mountain Mama, Blue Ridge Extreme,
>Mount Mitchell, or Bridge to Bridge. It's just 100 miles in our area
>of the county. It's rolling hills all the way. I'd guess our area is
>what Charlottesville has in terms of hills.
>
>This century is at your own pace. If you want to ride as part of a
>group, that is up to you. We stress that we need to obey all traffic
>laws, which is generally single file. I'd rate a group's safety
>higher than a solo rider's safety just because the pack gets more
>attention. Our drivers are for the most part courteous. Ride
>defensively and you should have no problems.

OK, I think I may pass this year since I just heard about the ride earlier
this week. I may not be up for even rolling hills at this early stage in my
training. Ray sent me a topo map, but it was unreadable by my paintshop
program, probably b/c it was attached in an unfamiliar format.

It would be worthwhile, IMO to have this map added to your site as a .jpg,
and I really enjoy looking at the ones you have up on your other rides.

I hope to be able to join in next year though! ;-)

BTW, my first group ride is probably going to be the Chesapeake Bay bridge
tunnel ride on Oct 2. ( http://www.cbbt.com/cbbtevent.html ). It's only 8.5
miles out and back, but we're thinking of riding it twice (34 miles).

Good luck and thanks for the reply!

-Badger

Beverly
September 3rd 04, 06:08 PM
"Badger_South" > wrote in message
> BTW, my first group ride is probably going to be the Chesapeake Bay bridge
> tunnel ride on Oct 2. ( http://www.cbbt.com/cbbtevent.html ). It's only
8.5
> miles out and back, but we're thinking of riding it twice (34 miles).
>
> Good luck and thanks for the reply!
>
> -Badger

This is a fun ride. My daughter and I did it in '99 and we're headed back
to do it again this year. I just hope the weather is as beautiful as it was
on the first ride.

Beverly

Badger_South
September 3rd 04, 06:34 PM
On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 17:08:55 GMT, "Beverly" > wrote:

>"Badger_South" > wrote in message
>> BTW, my first group ride is probably going to be the Chesapeake Bay bridge
>> tunnel ride on Oct 2. ( http://www.cbbt.com/cbbtevent.html ). It's only
>8.5
>> miles out and back, but we're thinking of riding it twice (34 miles).
>>
>> Good luck and thanks for the reply!
>>
>> -Badger
>>
>This is a fun ride. My daughter and I did it in '99 and we're headed back
>to do it again this year. I just hope the weather is as beautiful as it was
>on the first ride.
>
>Beverly

Cool! I hear it can be windy, though. One of the pics seems to show a
rather steep incline up to the bridge towers - I've been working on
climbing some steep hill-lets in my area in anticipation. ;-)

How early should one get to the start point to be assured of getting a
T-shirt? I hear they sold out last year.

-B

Beverly
September 3rd 04, 07:31 PM
wrote:

> >"Badger_South" > wrote in message
> >> BTW, my first group ride is probably going to be the Chesapeake Bay
bridge
> >> tunnel ride on Oct 2. ( http://www.cbbt.com/cbbtevent.html ). It's only
> >8.5
> >> miles out and back, but we're thinking of riding it twice (34 miles).
> >>
> >> Good luck and thanks for the reply!
> >>
> >> -Badger
> >>
> >This is a fun ride. My daughter and I did it in '99 and we're headed
back
> >to do it again this year. I just hope the weather is as beautiful as it
was
> >on the first ride.
> >
> >Beverly
>
> Cool! I hear it can be windy, though. One of the pics seems to show a
> rather steep incline up to the bridge towers - I've been working on
> climbing some steep hill-lets in my area in anticipation. ;-)
>
> How early should one get to the start point to be assured of getting a
> T-shirt? I hear they sold out last year.
>
> -B

We purchased our shirts the night before the event in '99 and will probably
do the same this time. We're from Ohio and we arrived the night before.
We'll be doing a bike ride on the upper part of the Cheasapeake Bay the day
before the bridge ride this year but will arrive in Cape Charles Friday
night. They had them in the restaurant/gift shop on Sea Gull Island on our
previous trip.

Beverly

Badger_South
September 3rd 04, 09:04 PM
On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 18:31:39 GMT, "Beverly" > wrote:

>> How early should one get to the start point to be assured of getting a
>> T-shirt? I hear they sold out last year.
>>
>> -B
>>
>We purchased our shirts the night before the event in '99 and will probably
>do the same this time. We're from Ohio and we arrived the night before.
>We'll be doing a bike ride on the upper part of the Cheasapeake Bay the day
>before the bridge ride this year but will arrive in Cape Charles Friday
>night. They had them in the restaurant/gift shop on Sea Gull Island on our
>previous trip.
>
>Beverly

OK, thanks for the tip, Beverly. As you know the T-shirt is everything!
<grin>

I'll be arriving on the day of the ride from the south end, via Va Beach,
hopefully very early (7-7:30), and will try to find the Gift shop.

I used to live in Toledo back in the 70s, and now live in Charlottesville,
Va. My brother will be riding with me and we'll be setting forth from his
house in Virginia Beach. He's a young whippersnapper of 47, but he manages
to keep up with his older brother, mostly - if I let him, haha. (Being from
the flatlands, he's very worried about the little hills leading up to the
trestle bridges - I told him it's only 1000 feet of 8% grade!)

Best,

-B

Bianchi2
September 5th 04, 01:03 AM
I'm a charlottesville resident and have done this ride several times...rolling
hills...no incredibly difficult climbs....good route...little traffic try
it!

Badger_South
September 5th 04, 02:57 AM
On 05 Sep 2004 00:03:40 GMT, (Bianchi2) wrote:

>I'm a charlottesville resident and have done this ride several times...rolling
>hills...no incredibly difficult climbs....good route...little traffic try
>it!

Well, I would, but it's a bit too short notice. I've got a hip injury which
somewhat limits my riding and I've only been back on the bike (since my
college years - CLAS '72) since Aug 2003.

In my college years I could even climb Barrack's Road, past Garth, but not
now. I rode out to Scottsville and back to C'ville in one afternoon as
well, but when I tried it in my 30s, I had to give up going out Biscuit
Run, even though I was in good shape for my age, I thought. ;-)

Right now, the best I can do is to climb Chesapeake (parallels East Market
street) from Riverside park.

I often ride from Riverside park (near the River) up Chesapeake and then
back down East Market and make a loop, and then go out to Hog Wallow
(Franklin Street), Nassau St and Linden, and climb Broadway along the way.

Where do you normally ride if you don't mind my asking?

-B
PS thanks for the info.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home