PDA

View Full Version : How to cross Thames River, CT

Rex Vincere
September 8th 04, 06:00 AM
Folks,

This weekend, I need to go east from New London (ferry dock) to Stonington,
CT.
As the ferry drops me on the west shore of Thames River, I need to find a
way to get to the east shore.
Other than I-95, the only other bridge is SR-2A, and from what I see on the
map, it is a limited access road. So, it looks like I will need to go all
the way up to Norwich to go across.

Is there a river ferry or something else I am missing that will get me
across, or is Norwich my only option?
I don't mind the extra mileage, but I would like some suggestions for a nice
route up there. The direct route, Route 32 just plain yells "ugly" even from
the map.

I am open to suggestions.

TIA
Rex

ed
September 8th 04, 09:23 PM
"Rex Vincere" > wrote in message >...
> Folks,
>
> This weekend, I need to go east from New London (ferry dock) to Stonington,
> CT.
> As the ferry drops me on the west shore of Thames River, I need to find a
> way to get to the east shore.
> Other than I-95, the only other bridge is SR-2A, and from what I see on the
> map, it is a limited access road. So, it looks like I will need to go all
> the way up to Norwich to go across.
>
> Is there a river ferry or something else I am missing that will get me
> across, or is Norwich my only option?
> I don't mind the extra mileage, but I would like some suggestions for a nice
> route up there. The direct route, Route 32 just plain yells "ugly" even from
> the map.
>
> I am open to suggestions.
>
> TIA
> Rex

Get the CT bicycle map (free). Shows how to get accross I95 On the
Goldstar Bridge to Groton. i got the map and it gives details on how
to cross I95. There is a ped/bikepath over the river. The CT Dot
sent me the map very quickly. Here are the directions from the map:

Eastbound:
From Route 1 to Bank St.
Right on State St.
Left on Water St.
Straight on Crystal Ave.
Left on Grove St. to Bailey Cir. onto teh Bicycel path accross the
river.

Leaving the Goldstar Westbound:
To get to Route 1 West:
Exit the bicycle path to Grove St.
Right on Crystal Ave. to Eugene O'Neil Dr.
Left on State St.
Right on Bank St.
Follow to Rt. 1

Ed

Carol Cohen
September 8th 04, 10:54 PM
"Rex Vincere" > wrote in message >...
> Folks,
>
> This weekend, I need to go east from New London (ferry dock) to Stonington,
> CT.
> As the ferry drops me on the west shore of Thames River, I need to find a
> way to get to the east shore.
> Other than I-95, the only other bridge is SR-2A, and from what I see on the
> map, it is a limited access road. So, it looks like I will need to go all
> the way up to Norwich to go across.
>
> Is there a river ferry or something else I am missing that will get me
> across, or is Norwich my only option?
> I don't mind the extra mileage, but I would like some suggestions for a nice
> route up there. The direct route, Route 32 just plain yells "ugly" even from
> the map.
>
> I am open to suggestions.
>
> TIA
> Rex

I googled "Thames River, CT" and found a 4-year-old reference to
crossing it. Don't know if it's still open, but here it is:

"The bridge in New London has a pedestrian/bike path on the north
side. It's been around for more than 25 years. If you're going
east bound (New London to Groton) look for Crystal Ave. If you're
following the sun, look for Kings Hwy."

Good riding--

C.C.,Rider

Rex Vincere
September 9th 04, 03:43 AM
Thank you. I actually found the map online.

How to cross I-95 on a bicycle, New London - Groton.
http://www.transalt.org/info/maps/ct/bridge2.html

"ed" > wrote in message
om...
> "Rex Vincere" > wrote in message
>> Folks,
>>
>> This weekend, I need to go east from New London (ferry dock) to
>> Stonington,
>> CT.
>> As the ferry drops me on the west shore of Thames River, I need to find a
>> way to get to the east shore.
>> Other than I-95, the only other bridge is SR-2A, and from what I see on
>> the
>> map, it is a limited access road. So, it looks like I will need to go all
>> the way up to Norwich to go across.
>>
>> Is there a river ferry or something else I am missing that will get me
>> across, or is Norwich my only option?
>> I don't mind the extra mileage, but I would like some suggestions for a
>> nice
>> route up there. The direct route, Route 32 just plain yells "ugly" even
>> from
>> the map.
>>
>> I am open to suggestions.
>>
>> TIA
>> Rex
>
> Get the CT bicycle map (free). Shows how to get accross I95 On the
> Goldstar Bridge to Groton. i got the map and it gives details on how
> to cross I95. There is a ped/bikepath over the river. The CT Dot
> sent me the map very quickly. Here are the directions from the map:
>
> Eastbound:
> From Route 1 to Bank St.
> Right on State St.
> Left on Water St.
> Straight on Crystal Ave.
> Left on Grove St. to Bailey Cir. onto teh Bicycel path accross the
> river.
>

> Leaving the Goldstar Westbound:
> To get to Route 1 West:
> Exit the bicycle path to Grove St.
> Right on Crystal Ave. to Eugene O'Neil Dr.
> Left on State St.
> Right on Bank St.
> Follow to Rt. 1
>

> Ed

ed
September 9th 04, 06:07 PM
"Rex Vincere" > wrote in message >...

Might as well get the whole map too, Its Free and pretty good.

Ed

> Thank you. I actually found the map online.
>
> How to cross I-95 on a bicycle, New London - Groton.
> http://www.transalt.org/info/maps/ct/bridge2.html
>

> "ed" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "Rex Vincere" > wrote in message
> >> Folks,
> >>
> >> This weekend, I need to go east from New London (ferry dock) to
> >> Stonington,
> >> CT.
> >> As the ferry drops me on the west shore of Thames River, I need to find a
> >> way to get to the east shore.
> >> Other than I-95, the only other bridge is SR-2A, and from what I see on
> >> the
> >> map, it is a limited access road. So, it looks like I will need to go all
> >> the way up to Norwich to go across.
> >>
> >> Is there a river ferry or something else I am missing that will get me
> >> across, or is Norwich my only option?
> >> I don't mind the extra mileage, but I would like some suggestions for a
> >> nice
> >> route up there. The direct route, Route 32 just plain yells "ugly" even
> >> from
> >> the map.
> >>
> >> I am open to suggestions.
> >>
> >> TIA
> >> Rex
> >
> > Get the CT bicycle map (free). Shows how to get accross I95 On the
> > Goldstar Bridge to Groton. i got the map and it gives details on how
> > to cross I95. There is a ped/bikepath over the river. The CT Dot
> > sent me the map very quickly. Here are the directions from the map:
> >
> > Eastbound:
> > From Route 1 to Bank St.
> > Right on State St.
> > Left on Water St.
> > Straight on Crystal Ave.
> > Left on Grove St. to Bailey Cir. onto teh Bicycel path accross the
> > river.
> >

> > Leaving the Goldstar Westbound:
> > To get to Route 1 West:
> > Exit the bicycle path to Grove St.
> > Right on Crystal Ave. to Eugene O'Neil Dr.
> > Left on State St.
> > Right on Bank St.
> > Follow to Rt. 1
> >

> > Ed

NYRides
September 9th 04, 07:50 PM
My suggestion, from several trips to Narragansett and Newport:

Leaving New London Ferry Terminal / Crossing the Gold Star Bridge

Exit the terminal parking lot, cross RR tracks and go straight onto Gov.
Winthrop Blvd. Make right onto Crystal Avenue and proceed to State Pier Rd.
Make left. You'll come to an unmarked right that goes under the parkway
(Olde Towne Mill on corner) Make the right and follow this street (Cole?)
to Williams Street. Make a right on Williams to Bailey Circle (Mr. G's
Pizza). Make left and you'll see the entrance to the pedestrian and bike
crossing.

At the far end of the bridge, you'll approach a T-intersection in the bike
path. There are two options here, only one of which I've done myself. That
is to take a left and follow the directions below. Somebody else sent me an
alternate a while back, and I've included that immediately after:

MY ROUTE: At the end of the bridge (STOP sign) you'll see a package store
across the street. Make a very sharp left onto Rt. 1 heading north. You'll
pass through some busy traffic areas in Groton if you go this way. I don't
mind traffic, so I use this route any time I make the trip.

ALTERNATE ROUTE, verbatim from another rider:

At the T intersection after the Gold Star, take a right. (Be careful, rain
runoff always leaves sediment across the path). At the end of the path,
take a right and climb up Riverview Ave, bear left ontoWalker Hill Road, and
take Walker Hill down to Rte 12 (Rte 12 is the same roadway as Rte 1, but
Rte 1 goes over the Gold Star). Landmark: The Fun 'n Food Clam Bar at Rte
12 and Walker Hill.

Cross Rte 12, and the road name changes to Toll Gate Road. Take Toll Gate to
it's end (approx 2 miles), the intersection of Rte 184 (also known as the
Gold Star Highway). Take a left on Rte 184, and the first right (approx 300
yards, Landmark: New England Power Products, a motorcycle/John Deere dealer)
onto Buddington Road. Take Buddington road past the resevoir approx 3 miles
to its end, the intersection of Rte 1. Take a left, and you're on Rte 1
north, past
the worst of the congestion.

CONTINUING ON TO STONINGTON:

Be sure to stop in Mystic, CT, one of the coolest little towns in the
northeast. There's a bike shop just on the outside of town, heading toward
Stonington. Also, check out the draw bridge in Mystic. It opens about
every hour or so for tourists.

There are some pretty good hills just outside of Mystic on Rt. 1 before
Stonington. You'll know to turn off Rt. 1 when you see a cemetery on the
right.

If you're feeling really ambitious, I'd continue all the way to
Narragansett, RI. below is a scenic route:

Continue on Rt. 1 to Westerly, Rhode Island. At the center of town in
Westerly, bear right and follow the signs to Rt.1A Scenic and head south.
At ~ ½ mile, you'll come to the fork of Union and Main. Bear right onto
Main. At 2.5 miles, make a left onto Winnapaug Rd (aka Airport Road.) At
1/10 of a mile, bear right to stay on Winnapaug. Continue 1.5 miles to the
waterfront (Atlantic Avenue). Make left and pass Misquamicut Beach area. At
Wawalcom (snack bar diagonally on the right) go straight ahead into
residential area on Weekapaug (uphill!). At the end of the public road,
which comes up shortly, make a left onto Noyes Neck Rd. Go about a mile,
pass a farm on your left, to STOP sign, which is Rt. 1A (no sign), and make
a right.

Follow Rt. 1A ~ 1 mile to the junction with Rt. 1. Continue northeast ~2.5
miles to the Texaco Station and convenience store. Fill up your water
bottles here, as there are no services for a while. Go about 7-8 miles,
pass Ninigret Park, look for sign that says "Rt. 1A Old Post Rd. NORTH" (it
's the 2nd one - don't get on Rt. 1 SOUTH!!!) Take it about a mile and
reconnect with Rt. 1 around Charlestown. ~ 8 miles to Wakefield and look
for sign that says "Narragansett/Point Judith." Get off here and make a
right onto South Pier Rd. Cross Rt. 108 and continue all the way to the
water. At the stone well, turn left and you're in Naragansett.

Have a great trip!

Comcast News
September 10th 04, 03:29 AM
Yep, you go under the bridge...past a gas station or two and on your left is an irish pub...take that left and the bike path to the bridge crossing is at the end of that little street.
"Rex Vincere" > wrote in message ...
Thank you. I actually found the map online.

How to cross I-95 on a bicycle, New London - Groton.
http://www.transalt.org/info/maps/ct/bridge2.html

Rex Vincere
September 12th 04, 05:14 PM
This Narragansett idea was perfect. It made for a nice century ride from
NYC.
I took LIRR to Pt. Jefferson (2 hrs), rode to Orient Point (~50 miles), took
the ferry to New London (90 mins), and took this route to Narrangansett
(another ~50 miles). Promise a friend a good seafood dinner to arrange a
ride back home. I ate at Aunt Carries (a sawdust on the floor kinda place
with great food) at the south tip of 108.
The only gotcha with this ride is the train and ferry adds about 4 hours to
the ride, so I took the 6:15 train from NY and I was at Narragansett 12
hours later. The roads in RI are somewhat torn out, so it makes for slow
going once you are there.

Highlights of the trip:
- the ferry ride. a nice break at the 50 mile mark, although I found it
quite hard to get going again once the legs were all funky from sitting
around for 2 hours.
- Mystic. Nice little town. Wait around for the draw bridge to open. There
is a great ice-cream place just next to the bridge while you do so (added
another 30 minutes and more funky knees, though).
- bragging rights to say "I rode *to* RI in one day"

Gotchas:
- On Route 1 in RI, by the exit/entry ramps, they have these unridable
rumble strips on the shoulder (within the V of the road and the ramp), which
forces you into the road along with the 70+ mph traffic
- Old post road has quite torn up sections
- On the route description, where it says "fill your bottles, nothing after
here for a while": FILL your bottles, there is nothing after that for a
while.

Thanks for all the info.
Rex

NYRides
September 13th 04, 08:16 PM
Good to hear, Rex. I've been wanting to share that route for a while. If
anybody else is interested, contact me. I can even provide a good backroads
route to the Pt. Jefferson Ferry and a cool shoreline route up the entire CT
shore from Bridgeport.
"Rex Vincere" > wrote in message
> This Narragansett idea was perfect. It made for a nice century ride from
> NYC.
> I took LIRR to Pt. Jefferson (2 hrs), rode to Orient Point (~50 miles),
took
> the ferry to New London (90 mins), and took this route to Narrangansett
> (another ~50 miles). Promise a friend a good seafood dinner to arrange a
> ride back home. I ate at Aunt Carries (a sawdust on the floor kinda place
> with great food) at the south tip of 108.
> The only gotcha with this ride is the train and ferry adds about 4 hours
> the ride, so I took the 6:15 train from NY and I was at Narragansett 12
> hours later. The roads in RI are somewhat torn out, so it makes for slow
> going once you are there.
>
> Highlights of the trip:
> - the ferry ride. a nice break at the 50 mile mark, although I found it
> quite hard to get going again once the legs were all funky from sitting
> around for 2 hours.
> - Mystic. Nice little town. Wait around for the draw bridge to open. There
> is a great ice-cream place just next to the bridge while you do so (added
> another 30 minutes and more funky knees, though).
> - bragging rights to say "I rode *to* RI in one day"
>
> Gotchas:
> - On Route 1 in RI, by the exit/entry ramps, they have these unridable
> rumble strips on the shoulder (within the V of the road and the ramp),
which
> forces you into the road along with the 70+ mph traffic
> - Old post road has quite torn up sections
> - On the route description, where it says "fill your bottles, nothing
after
> here for a while": FILL your bottles, there is nothing after that for a
> while.
>
> Thanks for all the info.
> Rex

Comcast News
September 20th 04, 12:24 AM
that ice cream place is wonderful
[...]

September 20th 04, 12:26 AM
Yes, I still have the routes you posted a year or so ago when I lived in Groton...before I moved to New London...and certainly before i moved here....bikeUNfriendly Fort Lauderdale FL...any hints on where to ride here? I've been getting up early and riding to the parks around. Nice parks. :)

Just got home from Yanks vs. Sawks weekend. Saw the saturday arss-whooping. Go Yanks.

Thanks again, for those great ride tips.

Stephanie
"NYRides" > wrote in message t...
Good to hear, Rex. I've been wanting to share that route for a while. If
anybody else is interested, contact me. I can even provide a good backroads
route to the Pt. Jefferson Ferry and a cool shoreline route up the entire CT
shore from Bridgeport.
"Rex Vincere" > wrote in message
> This Narragansett idea was perfect. It made for a nice century ride from
> NYC.
> I took LIRR to Pt. Jefferson (2 hrs), rode to Orient Point (~50 miles),
took
> the ferry to New London (90 mins), and took this route to Narrangansett
> (another ~50 miles). Promise a friend a good seafood dinner to arrange a
> ride back home. I ate at Aunt Carries (a sawdust on the floor kinda place
> with great food) at the south tip of 108.
> The only gotcha with this ride is the train and ferry adds about 4 hours
> the ride, so I took the 6:15 train from NY and I was at Narragansett 12
> hours later. The roads in RI are somewhat torn out, so it makes for slow
> going once you are there.
>
> Highlights of the trip:
> - the ferry ride. a nice break at the 50 mile mark, although I found it
> quite hard to get going again once the legs were all funky from sitting
> around for 2 hours.
> - Mystic. Nice little town. Wait around for the draw bridge to open. There
> is a great ice-cream place just next to the bridge while you do so (added
> another 30 minutes and more funky knees, though).
> - bragging rights to say "I rode *to* RI in one day"
>
> Gotchas:
> - On Route 1 in RI, by the exit/entry ramps, they have these unridable
> rumble strips on the shoulder (within the V of the road and the ramp),
which
> forces you into the road along with the 70+ mph traffic
> - Old post road has quite torn up sections
> - On the route description, where it says "fill your bottles, nothing
after
> here for a while": FILL your bottles, there is nothing after that for a
> while.
>
> Thanks for all the info.
> Rex

Google