PDA

View Full Version : Re: Cities Turning to Bicycles

TBGibb
September 9th 04, 02:03 AM
In article >,
(Laura Bush murdered her boy friend) writes:

>"Mark Leuck" > wrote in message
>> "Laura Bush murdered her boy friend" > wrote in message
>> om...
>> > >

>> > People aren't forced to buy 3 ton SUVs. They do it cause they think
>> > it's cool to be a highway terrorist. If america imprisoned reckless
>> > drivers that kill and maim, then people would opt for small cars and
>> > bikes.
>>
>> Thats the biggest load of crap I've seen posted in ages, got some
>> documentation supporting it?
>>
>> Of course you don't
>
>Get out of your cave and look at how the car loons drive. You
>speeders and DUIs and RLRs and CPDs are terrorists

Personally I'd like to see reactive law enforcement of ALL traffic laws.
"Photo Cop" speed traps and at every traffic light. I'd also like to see the
courts pull licenses from those that scoff at the law, six months on the first
time and then for life. From personal observation this would remove about 10%
of the drivers from the road, but they would be the worst drivers out there so
the impact would be more than a 10% improvement. And the rest of those on the
road would be a whole lot more careful about how they drive, providing even
more improvement.

Tom Gibb >

Stefan Schulze
September 10th 04, 12:54 PM
[Followup-To trimmed]

* (DonQuijote1954):

[Autobahn]
>German version : No speedlimits.

On most German Autobahns there is a speedlimit of ususually 100 km/h
or 120 km/h nowadays. Autobahns without speedlimits are rare
exceptions.

Although the speedlimits are seldom enforced, most drivers drive
according to the law.

--
Stefan

TBGibb
September 11th 04, 03:44 AM
In article >, John David Galt
> writes:

>Actually, yes they are, if they have families. EPA's mileage requirements
>have destroyed the station wagon, leaving no alternative to SUVs.

Ever heard of the "minivan?"

Tom Gibb >

Tim McNamara
September 11th 04, 04:24 PM
(TBGibb) writes:

> In article >, John David Galt
> > writes:
>
>>Actually, yes they are, if they have families. EPA's mileage
>>requirements have destroyed the station wagon, leaving no
>>alternative to SUVs.
>
> Ever heard of the "minivan?"

Of course they have. But they're not cool and obviously not as safe
because they don't weigh as much and you don't sit way up high over
the rest of the traffic, hidden anonymously behind your privacy glass.
No self-respecting potbellied middle aged combedover man about town
who thinks he still "has it" would be caught dead trying to cruise
college chicks in a minivan.

Rick
September 15th 04, 05:05 AM
Jack May wrote:

> But these are figure that don't count the oil used to grow, transport, and
> cook the food that is used to power the person that is doing the riding. A
> totally stupid analysis.

No, what you wrote qualifies as silly. Those figures are a constant for
both the cyclist and the non-cyclist, since both eat and the food comes
from these same sources. The non-cyclist typically consumes more
calories than the cyclist because cycling improves the effiency of the
human engine and reudces the number of heartbeats per minute, further
reducing the number of calories. While amount of additional food
required to feed a fit cyclist who trains for racing may well be
significant, the commute cyclist does not need any additional food than
his sedentary counterpart and may well consume less.

> Its like those idiot that call electric cars zero pollution because they
> don't know where the energry came from. Just for food processing we get
> "All together the food-processing industry in the United States uses about
> ten calories of fossil-fuel energy for every calorie of food energy it
> produces."

In those cases, you are correct. There is no non-polluting form of
transport, though some are clearly less polluting and more efficient
than others. If you use, say, hydroelectric or geothermal plants,
pollution is still a huge concern (as is the localized environmantal
damage), but the overall air quality would clearly improve.

....stuff deleted

Zoot Katz
September 19th 04, 09:18 PM
Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:02:33 GMT,
et>,
enslaved scud jockey "Mark Jones" > wrote:

>> Filthy, deadly, stinky and noisey but still just a toy.
>Actually it is quite clean and uses 2 catalytic converters
>to reduce exhaust emissions.

Lock yourself in the garage with it and burn off a tank of the filthy,
deadly and stinky fuel then tell me how clean it is.

thppppft!
--
zk

Robert Cote
September 20th 04, 03:50 AM
In article >,
Zoot Katz > wrote:

> Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:02:33 GMT,
> et>,
> enslaved scud jockey "Mark Jones" > wrote:
>
> >> Filthy, deadly, stinky and noisey but still just a toy.
> >Actually it is quite clean and uses 2 catalytic converters
> >to reduce exhaust emissions.
>
> Lock yourself in the garage with it and burn off a tank of the filthy,
> deadly and stinky fuel then tell me how clean it is.
>
> thppppft!

A myth left over from old Hollywood movies.

Terry Morse
September 30th 04, 09:38 PM
Matthew Russotto wrote:

> When I used to ride a road bike, getting airborne was a great way to
> bend the wheels.

Then your cycling skills left something to be desired. Bunny hopping
is a very useful skill for avoiding obstacles in the road: speed
bumps, tree branches, broken bottles, fallen cyclists. And no, it
doesn't bend wheels when done correctly.

Terry Morse
September 30th 04, 09:38 PM
Matthew Russotto wrote:

> When I used to ride a road bike, getting airborne was a great way to
> bend the wheels.

Then your cycling skills left something to be desired. Bunny hopping
is a very useful skill for avoiding obstacles in the road: speed
bumps, tree branches, broken bottles, fallen cyclists. And no, it
doesn't bend wheels when done correctly.

Nate Nagel
October 4th 04, 12:43 PM
Zoot Katz wrote:

> Sun, 03 Oct 2004 14:55:54 -0400, >, Frank
> Krygowski > wrote:
>

>>The Mustang I mentioned earlier - model year 2000, V-6 engine, says the
>>owner by e-mail - would scrape on some VERY tall speed humps in an
>>apartment complex, unless driven over them very slowly. That was a
>>minor irritation to the owner - so he drove them very slowly. But that
>>car does perfectly fine on the standard speed humps on the residential
>>streets.
>

> Lots of cars like that scrape bottom when pulling into gas stations,
> parking lots and driveways. I know that there are cars that can't get
> into underground lots. You see the scrapes at many sorts of different
> places than speed humps. I guess they don't complain about those.

You guess wrong; all are examples of sloppy and/or substandard
construction. Bad curb cuts and incorrectly sloped ramps are just as
bad as speed bumps...

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Nate Nagel
October 4th 04, 12:43 PM

Zoot Katz wrote:

> Sun, 03 Oct 2004 14:55:54 -0400, >, Frank
> Krygowski > wrote:
>

>>The Mustang I mentioned earlier - model year 2000, V-6 engine, says the
>>owner by e-mail - would scrape on some VERY tall speed humps in an
>>apartment complex, unless driven over them very slowly. That was a
>>minor irritation to the owner - so he drove them very slowly. But that
>>car does perfectly fine on the standard speed humps on the residential
>>streets.
>

> Lots of cars like that scrape bottom when pulling into gas stations,
> parking lots and driveways. I know that there are cars that can't get
> into underground lots. You see the scrapes at many sorts of different
> places than speed humps. I guess they don't complain about those.

You guess wrong; all are examples of sloppy and/or substandard
construction. Bad curb cuts and incorrectly sloped ramps are just as
bad as speed bumps...

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.