PDA

View Full Version : Mixed races?

Steve Juniper
September 12th 04, 11:18 PM
A friend asked me if there was a TDF rule prohibiting women participants. I
suppose so but don't know for sure. But then, are there ANY major bike races
where women compete directly with men? I can't think of any. Would this be
because of custom, or because couldn't compete or - heaven forbid! -
chauvinism??? Anybody know?
--
Steve Juniper

"...we should always worry about the soul of a nation that regards war
with childish delight."

-- Anthony Swofford --

Chris Neary
September 13th 04, 02:17 AM
>A friend asked me if there was a TDF rule prohibiting women participants. I
>suppose so but don't know for sure. But then, are there ANY major bike races
>where women compete directly with men? I can't think of any. Would this be
>because of custom, or because couldn't compete or - heaven forbid! -
>chauvinism??? Anybody know?

I can't speak to international (UCI) rules, but USCF rules permit a female
to ride in an "open" (men's) race in her classification or one lower
classification. For example, a Cat 1 woman could enter a Cat 2 men's race.

In the SF Bay Area, I believe both Linda Jackson and Karen (Kurreck) Brems
have entered men's races on occasion, though their reason was to achieve a
level of training not possible in the available women's race - winning the
race was not the goal.

FWIW, the Italian Gran Fondo's (sp?) are essentially timed century rides
where women are competing with the male riders, though prizes are picked
separately for the women, IIRC.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

Bruce Frech
December 13th 04, 02:45 AM
"Chris Neary" > wrote in message
> >A friend asked me if there was a TDF rule prohibiting women participants.
>>suppose so but don't know for sure. But then, are there ANY major bike
>>races
>>where women compete directly with men? I can't think of any. Would this be
>>because of custom, or because couldn't compete or - heaven forbid! -
>>chauvinism??? Anybody know?

The Tour de France is entered by teams, not individuals. No woman is
competitive at the level of the pro men so no team selects a woman on their
team.

Bruce

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home