PDA

View Full Version : Nice Trucker

James Cassatt
September 13th 04, 07:13 PM
We generally write only about the SOB trucker who ran us off the road;
so i though I would report today on a nice trucker who went out of his
way to help.

On Saturday biking buddy Don and I went on an organized ride
originating North of Washington
(http://www.baltobikeclub.org/cwc/index_01.html). We opted for the 74
mile ride. Ugh! It started with n 8 mile climb with a four mile
climb and other hills thrown in for good measure. Anyway the last
four miles were mostly downhill along a narrow two lane rough country
road without shoulder. I was riding with my buddy and another guy--all
single file, spread out, courteous. There was more traffic than I
would have liked along this curvy road. I soon became aware of the
sound of air brakes behind us--obviously a truck. He didn't pass, and
every time I looked back, I failed to pick him up as he was some
distance back. However, every time we slowed to take a bit of an
upgrade, I heard airbrakes. A few miles later we got to the end of
the ride made a right at a light and the truck followed. 100 yards
later we turned left into the ride start where they had ice cream and
other goodies for us riders. As we got there the truck, actually a
cab, stopped, and this big guy with tattoos all over his bare arms
got out. I figured he was really ****ed having been held up by these
three cyclists. Instead he asked if we knew anything about a woman
cyclist who was following us. Seemed she had turned off on another
road, and he was afraid she was lost. We said we didn't know her and
didt't even know she was behind us. Then I thanked him for running
interference for us since as long as he didn't pass, neither did any
of the cars behind him. At that point he said something like that was
a miserable road for cyclists, and so he thought he would do us a
favor. I guess that truckers have a heart after all.

Jim

Frank Knox
September 18th 04, 03:23 AM
"James Cassatt" > wrote in message
om...
> We generally write only about the SOB trucker who ran us off the road;
> so i though I would report today on a nice trucker who went out of his
> way to help.
>
> On Saturday biking buddy Don and I went on an organized ride
> originating North of Washington
> (http://www.baltobikeclub.org/cwc/index_01.html). We opted for the 74
> mile ride. Ugh! It started with n 8 mile climb with a four mile
> climb and other hills thrown in for good measure. Anyway the last
> four miles were mostly downhill along a narrow two lane rough country
> road without shoulder. I was riding with my buddy and another guy--all
> single file, spread out, courteous. There was more traffic than I
> would have liked along this curvy road. I soon became aware of the
> sound of air brakes behind us--obviously a truck. He didn't pass, and
> every time I looked back, I failed to pick him up as he was some
> distance back. However, every time we slowed to take a bit of an
> upgrade, I heard airbrakes. A few miles later we got to the end of
> the ride made a right at a light and the truck followed. 100 yards
> later we turned left into the ride start where they had ice cream and
> other goodies for us riders. As we got there the truck, actually a
> cab, stopped, and this big guy with tattoos all over his bare arms
> got out. I figured he was really ****ed having been held up by these
> three cyclists. Instead he asked if we knew anything about a woman
> cyclist who was following us. Seemed she had turned off on another
> road, and he was afraid she was lost. We said we didn't know her and
> didt't even know she was behind us. Then I thanked him for running
> interference for us since as long as he didn't pass, neither did any
> of the cars behind him. At that point he said something like that was
> a miserable road for cyclists, and so he thought he would do us a
> favor. I guess that truckers have a heart after all.
>
> Jim

You'd get more replies with a story about a mean SOB trucker, but I enjoy
this kind more.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home