PDA

View Full Version : F.S. Seagull Century 2004 (2 Registrations)

al
September 17th 04, 01:53 PM
Due to an injury I am unable to attend the 2004 Seagull Century. I
have two registrations available that include the Saturday all you can
eat dinner. To register now it is $75 apiece for the ride and 12.95
each for the dinner. I will sell both for $95 vs. $176 that it would
currently cost. If you are interested please E-Mail me at
.

Terry Morse
September 17th 04, 03:41 PM
al wrote:

> To register now it is $75 apiece for the ride and 12.95
> each for the dinner.

Sounds pretty pricey for a century, is that a typical price for an
East Coast ride? $45 for the ride with dinner is about my limit.

David Kerber
September 17th 04, 05:13 PM
In article >,
says...
> al wrote:
>
> > To register now it is $75 apiece for the ride and 12.95
> > each for the dinner.
>
> Sounds pretty pricey for a century, is that a typical price for an
> East Coast ride? $45 for the ride with dinner is about my limit.
> --
> terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://bike.terrymorse.com/

Seems high to me as well, and I'm on the East Coast. The Narragansett
Bay Wheelmen's TFCE (The Flattest Century in the East, though it's not
all that flat anymore) was $25 per person for a supported century, but
had no dinner associated with it. It sold out all 1600 slots 2 months
before the ride. This one has been going for 33 years now...

newsgroups if possible).

Rick Warner
September 17th 04, 09:57 PM
Terry Morse > wrote in message >...
> al wrote:
>
> > To register now it is $75 apiece for the ride and 12.95
> > each for the dinner.
>
> Sounds pretty pricey for a century, is that a typical price for an
> East Coast ride? $45 for the ride with dinner is about my limit.

Terry, you are so cheap ;-) You apparently never rode the Chris King
Gourmet series; always a bit out of my budget. In 2001 I think they
were $75, then $125 in 2002. Have not looked since, but I suspect
their recent move to the Portland area will mean the rides will move
north, too (they were holding them in Santa Barbara County and
Napa/Sonoma area). I have seen most of the local rides climb into
the $30-40 range, but have seen a couple up to $50. At that price I
will do self-supported rides. Off to head south for the Lighthouse
Century ($40/person with dinner).

- rick

Terry Morse
September 18th 04, 12:54 AM
Rick Warner wrote:

> Terry, you are so cheap ;-)

Well, I must confess to paying $65 for the Climb to Kaiser. But
that was 155 miles, and the support was great: cold sodas at every
stop, and popsicles at the last stop. I didn't eat the dinner,
though. I was too barfy.

> You apparently never rode the Chris King Gourmet series; always a
> bit out of my budget. In 2001 I think they were $75, then $125
> in 2002.

I'm with you there. That looks like an eating event with bicycles.

> Off to head south for the Lighthouse Century ($40/person with
> dinner).

Enjoy the SLO area! I'm taking the weekend off to taper before next
week's Everest Challenge ($80, but it's 2 days)

-- terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://bike.terrymorse.com/

Chuck Anderson
September 18th 04, 02:03 AM
Terry Morse wrote:

>Enjoy the SLO area! I'm taking the weekend off to taper before next
>week's Everest Challenge ($80, but it's 2 days)

Pray tell. The Everest Challenge? Does that involve a flight to Kathmandu.

"Kuh-kuh-kuh-kuh-kuh-kuh Kathmandu. ...
... I think it's really where I'm goin' to ....."

τΏτ

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Badger_South
September 18th 04, 02:48 AM
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:54:19 -0700, Terry Morse > wrote:

>Rick Warner wrote:
>
>> Terry, you are so cheap ;-)
>
>Well, I must confess to paying $65 for the Climb to Kaiser. But
>that was 155 miles, and the support was great: cold sodas at every
>stop, and popsicles at the last stop. I didn't eat the dinner,
>though. I was too barfy.
>
>> You apparently never rode the Chris King Gourmet series; always a
>> bit out of my budget. In 2001 I think they were $75, then $125
>> in 2002.
>
>I'm with you there. That looks like an eating event with bicycles.
>
>> Off to head south for the Lighthouse Century ($40/person with
>> dinner).
>
>Enjoy the SLO area! I'm taking the weekend off to taper before next
>week's Everest Challenge ($80, but it's 2 days)
>
> -- terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://bike.terrymorse.com/

Hey, TM, good luck on the EC. You taking a crew?

Can't believe you're taking the weekend off. Bor-ing, eh?

-B

Terry Morse
September 18th 04, 03:55 AM
Chuck Anderson wrote:

> Terry Morse wrote:
>
> >I'm taking the weekend off to taper before next
> >week's Everest Challenge ($80, but it's 2 days)
> >
> Pray tell. The Everest Challenge? Does that involve a flight to Kathmandu.

Kathmandu? No such luck. The Everest Challenge merely involves a
long drive to beautiful Bishop, CA. The reason for the name is that
the ride climbs 29,035 feet in two days:

http://everestchallenge.com/ec05.htm

Karen M.
September 18th 04, 03:05 PM
Terry wrote:
> Sounds pretty pricey for a century, is that a typical price for an
> East Coast ride? $45 for the ride with dinner is about my limit.

From the event website:

Registration Fee (includes Friday Night Fever Party, rest stop
refreshments, Saturday Lawn Party entertainment, Century T-shirt and
more...)
$55.00 thru 8/31
$75.00 after 8/31

FWIW this ride attracts about 6,000 riders, vendors, equipment
displays, all that stuff. There's a Sunday ride too. The price does
seem a little high, but I suspect it's because the college has some
"rip charges."
HTH
--Karen M.

Claire Petersky
September 18th 04, 03:28 PM
"Terry Morse" > wrote in message
> al wrote:
>
> > To register now it is $75 apiece for the ride and 12.95
> > each for the dinner.
>
> Sounds pretty pricey for a century, is that a typical price for an
> East Coast ride? $45 for the ride with dinner is about my limit.

STP is about $75, but it's a double century or two-day back-to-back
centuries. By the time you've bought overnight accomodations and your bus
ticket back, it gets to be a pricey weekend.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Jim S
September 24th 04, 02:45 AM
We did the Seagull in 1990 when it had only 600 riders - it was its 2nd
year. Great food at the rest stops, music, long sleeved t-shirt...for $16 I
believe!The Seagull has become rather pricey....but we'll still be there as
will the other 6000 entrants. Guess thats why they charge $55!

"Claire Petersky" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Terry Morse" > wrote in message
> > al wrote:
> >
> > > To register now it is $75 apiece for the ride and 12.95
> > > each for the dinner.
> >
> > Sounds pretty pricey for a century, is that a typical price for an
> > East Coast ride? $45 for the ride with dinner is about my limit.
>
> STP is about $75, but it's a double century or two-day back-to-back
> centuries. By the time you've bought overnight accomodations and your bus
> ticket back, it gets to be a pricey weekend.
>

> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Petersky
> please substitute yahoo for mousepotato to reply
> Home of the meditative cyclist:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm
> Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
> See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky