PDA

View Full Version : Auburn/Opelika, Albama - camping and bike trail inquiry

Skyhooks
September 20th 04, 04:34 PM
Need recommendations regarding "lame & tame" bike trails/paths around
the Auburn, Alabama area? No mountain biking here, but biking in the
mountains isn't excluded as long as the trail isn't difficult. I hope
that makes sense.

Also looking for camp grounds with electricity in the same area.
Doesn't have to be in Auburn or Opelika proper, but somewhere nearby,
say within 30 miles, give or take.

Ideally, the camp ground will be adjacent or very close to the bike
trail. TIA.

Skyhooks
hmardis "aht" uiuc "daught" edu

Skyhooks
September 21st 04, 04:53 AM
Skyhooks wrote:

> Need recommendations regarding "lame & tame" bike trails/paths around
> the Auburn, Alabama area? No mountain biking here, but biking in the
> mountains isn't excluded as long as the trail isn't difficult. I hope
> that makes sense.
>
> Also looking for camp grounds with electricity in the same area.
> Doesn't have to be in Auburn or Opelika proper, but somewhere nearby,
> say within 30 miles, give or take.
>
> Ideally, the camp ground will be adjacent or very close to the bike
> trail. TIA.
>
> Skyhooks
> hmardis "aht" uiuc "daught" edu

To follow-up my own post - I've done my "homework" with Google and other
resources, so it's not like I'm asking for "raw" information without
doing my own search(es) about bike trails in Alabama (Auburn/Opelika).
Believe me, I have a whole lot of requests for brochures, and more from
other locales!

I'd rather learn about first-hand (or second-hand ?) anecdotes about any
of these AL places from folk who've actually been there. After all,
brochures tend to highlite the positives and lures (know what I mean?).
Not to mention, there is a big difference between "lame & tame" and MTB
trails!

I'm located in central Illinois, so I'm quite unfamiliar with any
Alabama bike trails (except Mobile & Baldwin counties, if those count).
All comments will be appreciated as related to the topic. Thanks again.

Sky

P.S. Ask me about a few CGs in central (I-80 corridor) Illinois :) I
can help there.

Gary S.
September 21st 04, 11:05 AM
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:53:13 -0500, Skyhooks >
wrote:

>Skyhooks wrote:
>>
>> Need recommendations regarding "lame & tame" bike trails/paths around
>> the Auburn, Alabama area? No mountain biking here, but biking in the
>> mountains isn't excluded as long as the trail isn't difficult. I hope
>> that makes sense.
>>
>To follow-up my own post - I've done my "homework" with Google and other
>resources, so it's not like I'm asking for "raw" information without
>doing my own search(es) about bike trails in Alabama (Auburn/Opelika).
>Believe me, I have a whole lot of requests for brochures, and more from
>other locales!
>
>I'd rather learn about first-hand (or second-hand ?) anecdotes about any
>of these AL places from folk who've actually been there. After all,
>brochures tend to highlite the positives and lures (know what I mean?).
>Not to mention, there is a big difference between "lame & tame" and MTB
>trails!

Are there mountain biking clubs or groups in that area?

I would guess they would be good sources of direct info on the local
bike trails.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA